Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

June 11 - Cleveland, OH

2016 North American tour and warm-up gigs are here.

by onlyalways » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:44 pm

Amily wrote:Have fun Coco! Don't die! #angel# #blowkiss#

I can't guarantee this. If you don't hear from me assume I've burst into dust.

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by Amily » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Courtney said there's no poster for tonight. How sad. :'(

EDIT:

And this just happened. #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

I love them both so much! #love3# #fit# #love3#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:08 pm

NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by blondesnotbombs » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:28 pm

Amily wrote:Courtney said there's no poster for tonight. How sad. :'(

EDIT:

And this just happened. #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

I love them both so much! #love3# #fit# #love3#

Huge bummer about the poster, but at least our Coco got a nice little twitter interaction out of it. #love3#
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by Amily » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:40 pm

I haven't watched this yet... not sure I will until after my first show in 11 days. ;D

ADD:
It's been brought to my attention that in this video the guys ask that people not record the show. I still have not watched this, so I didn't know they were making this request at the start of their shows. Just thought you all had the right to know about their wishes before you choose to watch as I don't want to upset anyone over it. #sadd#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:14 am

NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Spoiler filled review of the show. #dance#

Spoiler: show
Comedic Musical Duo Flight of the Conchords Kicks Off Anticipated Tour on a High Note
Posted By Samantha Fryberger on Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 2:10 pm

“We haven’t been to Cleveland before,” Bret McKenzie told the sold-out crowd at the State Theatre. “At least that’s what our management told us and we believe them,” Jemaine Clement quickly added. The duo kicked off their “Flight of the Conchords Sing Flight of the Conchords Tour” show immediately following an animated opening set by the comedian Arj Barker (who played Dave on band’s self-titled HBO series) with a song about party chips and dip. It was the first of seven new tunes the band played throughout the course of its witty and highly entertaining 13-song concert (14 if you separate the mashup of “Hurt Feelings” and “Mutha’uckas”), asking the audience not to record them with their phones since there was a good chance they’d forget lyrics at one point or another and that’s not how they wanted fans to remember the night. You can see a few photos from the concert here.

Bret and Jemaine didn’t just add 50% new material to the show, they also brought along the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra (consisting only of expressionless, wild-haired cellist Nigel Collins) as well as a few new instruments: a Vibraslap which they noted was “traditionally not very popular on songs” and a set of hanging chimes that Jemaine occasionally would play using the headstock of his guitar for dramatic emphasis. There was also a rather unexpected and intricate polyphonic performance of recorders at the end of their lady-wooing Medieval-inspired tune “The Summer of 1353.”

As always, the song repertoire represented a range of influences from the jazzy “Shady Rachel” to the western-styled “The Ballad of Stana.” Fan favorites like “The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room)” and “Bowie’s in Space” elicited big cheers. But it was group’s repeated explanations of lyrics (with Jemaine telling the audience “You’re hard, cold and emotionally unavailable—you are the rock in this song” about Bret’s emotional rendition of “The Seagull”) as well as the droll, between-song banter with the crowd that really made the show. “We’re compiling our rock ‘n’ roll stories . . . we really get into some crazy shit,” Bret told the crowd in the hometown of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. “Like earlier backstage when I was out cold and you didn’t know if you should wake me up because I might be grumpy,” affirmed Jemaine.

The evening ended after the Conchords' “pretend last song” with a two-tune encore consisting of “Business Time” and “Think About it,” during which the riffing New Zealanders casually cautioned, “Don’t vote for Trump . . . he’s not very funky.”

source
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by onlyalways » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:48 pm

You guys... the show was so good. It was so so so so nice seeing them again in the flesh on stage. Like, I knew I missed 'em, obviously, but once they got on stage and the crowd (and myself) freaked the fuck out it was then I realized just how much I missed them together. #love3#

So I've been crazy excited for this WAY earlier in the week than what was probably appropriate. #haha# But it was safe to say that the majority of the theater was in the same boat as I was. I forget just how much of a cult following these guys have. Sadly there was no fans there dressed as them, but I saw a custom made "Jemaine/Bret 2016, It's Business Time" presidential shirt (that I kind of wanted to steal and wish was real) and a lot fun home-made shirts. Overall it was just a great crowd of respectful, hardcore fans throughout the night.

One big disappointment which I think everyone knows already is that there was no poster available. We were there pretty much when the doors opened so it wasn't sold out. I don't think this has ever happened? I'm really hoping something just got screwed up and it will be available later.

Arj warmed everyone up, as tradition he was introduced by Jemaine. Jemaine is always great, but sometimes I wished they mixed it up and have Bret introduce him. (Maybe they have and I've only seen Jem do it?) But Arj was at the TOP of his game, he was fantastic and the audience absolutely loved him. Toward the beginning he said that we were a great crowd, which I know is pretty standard but he had a small smile so it made it seem it was coming from a genuine place.

Arj's entire set was absolutely solid, it's really hard to highlight on one or two moments. I somehow forgot how he moves his microphone away when he would start yelling, so when he did that the first time it was cracking me up. He talked about how he was in Business Class for a flight and he said how his experience was, "I didn't learn a fucking thing! They didn't teach any business!!" #lol# He also talks about spoilers when it comes to TV and films but I don't want to spoil that bit for you guys who may see him. #haha# There was a moment during that bit he goes "This lady in the front here doesn't watch Game of Thrones!...... I mean..... man with long hair...." He genuinely called the guy in front a lady and you could tell Arj was a little embarrassed and said something like "I wish I could go back in time dude, I really do."

Then Arj introduced the guys. They were pretty quick to come out and sit down, I was a little taken aback when they were all of a sudden THERE. But like I said before, seeing them live again just reminded me of why I'm such a crazy fan. #haha# They are so brilliant and have such a fantastic, unique energy that I've never experienced from other live shows.

I will say I had a couple let downs. Spoiler cutting just in case. (It's more like a spoiler by omission though.)
I really missed them coming out with Too Many Dicks/Robots with the helmets. Like above, they were quick to get on stage and start the show off with the intro banter. I also missed the Sugalumps ending, they didn't do that either. (Did they do that for NZ or Oddball though? I can't remember so maybe it's been awhile anyway.) AND I missed Epileptic Dogs with the audience participation, that was one of my favorites too. But they had a lot of new material to go through so I think they just didn't have the time. (How dare they make their previous tours SO amazing?! :P ) I guess it's called Flight of the Conchords sing Flight of the Conchords because that is exactly what they did and it was still lovely. #heart#

I know the video that Ami posted is BAD and WRONG but since I was there it was really nice to be able to re-watch the intro and one of the new songs. #shy# I may or may not need to turn that into an audio file... #whistle# Also like the recap Ami posted, they did A LOT of new material, more than I was expecting and I loved it. I'd much rather hear a brand new song they are still tinkering with than a legacy song they usually play, only because I've probably already seen them play that live at least a couple of times.

So they started off with one of their new-new songs which was fantastic. #excited2# Second was Father and Son. I got SO excited when I knew that was going to be the next song. I think they've done this before, but using "the latest technology" they were going to make Bret small like a kid on the theater screen (which, considering it wasn't THAT big of a venue I'm surprised they had them. Surprised but very very thankful. I wasn't very close so that was great to see their facial expressions throughout the show. #love3# )and then have Jem normal size and be the Father. BUT!!! The camera guys fucked it up BIG time!! Like they did it, with Jem and Bret on the same screen with a diagonal split in the middle (which didn't look that wrong to me) but Jemaine was like "No no no, this is all wrong, what are you doing! We practiced this!" I guess the split screen should have been completely vertical instead of diagonal, but I think they had some other things wrong too. Jemaine went FULL ON director mode trying to get them get the shots right. "No zoom out to make Bret small, LIFT the camera!" Bret: "Lift the camera?? What are you talking about man, I think it looks great." Jem: "Can you even see it from where you are?!" Bret: "No, but I bet it's great." #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# This went on for a WHILE. It was hilarious. I'm sure not for Jem, but it was hilarious how they were able to still entertain the crowd, not the technical malfunction itself of course. I really hope someone got some of that on video everyone respected the guys' wishes... >.> Also, I love where they've taken Father and Son. I think it's one of the few songs where we heard the beginning workings of it then through each tour slowly develop into a song that is unmistakably "Flight of the Conchords". :)

I think the very next song was Stana. #excited# Again, another newish song I get REALLY excited for. I love the amount of improv that goes into it, I don't they we'd ever hear that song in the exact same way twice even if they tried. But my favorite part of the song and maybe my favorite part of the night was during the song Jem goes:

#jem# When Stana was nine he was killing people three times his age.
#bret# Yeah he was murderin'.
#jem# How old would that be?
#bret# Huh?
#jem# How old were the people he was killin' if they were THRICE his age??
#bret# That would be twenty-one!
#jem# Really? Twenty-one? Are you sure?
#bret# (looks confused)
#jem# Is three times nine twenty-one?
#bret# (smiling but rolling his eyes)
#jem# I switched the lyrics, you have to pay attention!
#bret# I never learned my times tables past eight!
#jem# By the way, we are not trying to imply that American's are bad at math.

#rofl# #thud# #ded# #thud# #rofl#

I lost it so hard there. Bret normally has a tough enough time remembering the lyrics, let alone Jem throwing curve balls. But they both forgot an entire verse in Stana and kinda had to reverse a bit to explain it. Bret forgot the lyrics I think one or two other times in the show but the above was definitely the best bit. ;D #bret# #blowkiss# (The guys added an especially funny bit at the end of Stana but I'm pretty sure they'll do it at the other shows so I don't want to give it away. ;D )

I loved the usage of the vibraslap (and so did Jem he used it A LOT), wood boxes they were sitting on, and the chimes. Also I feel like Bret was on the piano A LOT which I loved. There was one older song they played that sounded especially good on the piano but dammit if I could remember. #idea#

There was a lull right after one of the songs where a guy near the front must have laughed but it sounded like a sheep "baaa-ing" Jemaine looked all offended and went "I can't tell if that's a laugh or if he's mocking us!" They did a couple "baa" sounds and then Jemaine went, "I hope I didn't just give this guy a complex about his laugh, but it's still worth it just in case he was mocking us."

Ok so here is the setlist (not exact order I'm sure) and my (pretty light) description/opinion of the new songs:

Party - NEW
Father and Son
Foux Du FaFa #aziz#
Stana
Most Beautiful Girl
Shady Rachel - NEW
Mother 'Uckers/Hurt Feelings
Fuck on the Ceiling
I'm a Seagull - NEW
Bowie

Encore:
Business Time
Think About It

Party - FUCKING AMAZING. I've had it stuck in my head all day today.
Shady Rachel - Jazz song, my literal reaction after was "What the fuck did I just listen to?!" #rofl# It gets pretty weird pretty fast, but it was great seeing Bret play like an old Jazz musician and Jemaine play "Jazzy Jim" who couldn't stop scatting, sometimes even over Bret. Bret: "Shut up, Jazzy Jim!" #lol#
I'm a Seagull - HILARIOUS. They never stop taking things to brand new levels, I swear.

Have I even talked about Nigel? He was lovely. I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of the platform shoes he was wearing. #aziz# Later in the show Jemaine asked Nigel what he did today and a guy in the back yelled "WENT TO THE BANK!!!" but I don't think they heard it. I need to be that guy's friend!

When they were introducing 1353 a woman in the balcony yelled and they went "Oh you've heard it already?" and she yelled "ODDBALL!" and Bret and Jemaine started going how that was a reference to a comedy tour they did, not their testicles. "We do not in fact have 'Odd Balls'" #lol#

And like in the recap Ami posted, Jemaine kept assuring the crowd that they were going to "fake leave" at the end but come right back on and do a couple more songs. "We're just that rock and roll" and "When we fake leave soon..." #haha#

To start ending this recap that got WAY out of hand, another one of my favorite moments was when Bret gestured to the box seats and went "I didn't know we had the Royal Family in town." and they shined some lights on the people in the boxes. #lol# Bret and Jem then started doing that kind of posh, royal wave and everyone in the seats started doing it too. Jemaine: "Ah, I see King Cleve and Lady Land are here." #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

The show was fantastic, and I especially loved hearing all the new-new and the old-new material. #haha# I'm excited to experience it all again in Columbus on Tuesday. I think me and one of my BFFs are going to try to meet them after that show. We didn't stay after this time for reasons, not like we even had any posters for them to sign! #haha# ( #pray# it will be available later...)

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by onlyalways » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Amily wrote:I love them both so much! #love3# #fit# #love3#

Ami!!! #blush# #angel# #blowkiss# #blowkiss# #blowkiss#

blondesnotbombs wrote:Huge bummer about the poster, but at least our Coco got a nice little twitter interaction out of it. #love3#

It was definitely a nice pick me up, but there were a lot of fans just by me that were really disappointed. One guy brought a tube to put it in and everything. I was scoping the merch table after the show ~just in case~ something turned up and my mom started making fun of me going, "You think Jemaine is in charge of the merch stand and would fix it for you??" #lol#

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by blondesnotbombs » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:24 pm

Coco, this was wonderful, as always!!! #angel# #blowkiss# #blowkiss# #blowkiss#

onlyalways wrote:Also like the recap Ami posted, they did A LOT of new material, more than I was expecting and I loved it. I'd much rather hear a brand new song they are still tinkering with than a legacy song they usually play, only because I've probably already seen them play that live at least a couple of times.

I feel the same way. I was pleasantly surprised when I looked at the setlist for their first show and saw the number of new songs vs the hits. As delighted as I am by the material we know, I love hearing their new songs for the first time and hearing how those songs evolve and change.

Having said that, they should still play Bus Driver's Song at every show I attend. #haha#

onlyalways wrote:"No zoom out to make Bret small, LIFT the camera!" Bret: "Lift the camera?? What are you talking about man, I think it looks great." Jem: "Can you even see it from where you are?!" Bret: "No, but I bet it's great." #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

onlyalways wrote:#jem# When Stana was nine he was killing people three times his age.
#bret# Yeah he was murderin'.
#jem# How old would that be?
#bret# Huh?
#jem# How old were the people he was killin' if they were THRICE his age??
#bret# That would be twenty-one!
#jem# Really? Twenty-one? Are you sure?
#bret# (looks confused)
#jem# Is three times nine twenty-one?
#bret# (smiling but rolling his eyes)
#jem# I switched the lyrics, you have to pay attention!
#bret# I never learned my times tables past eight!
#jem# By the way, we are not trying to imply that American's are bad at math.

#rofl# #thud# #ded# #thud# #rofl#

#fit# #inlove# #fit# #inlove# #fit# #bret# #blowkiss# #fit# #inlove# #fit# #inlove# #fit#

I'm assuming this Stana flub is the bit you said would kill me? You were correct. #ded#

And I am thrilled that they've brought Stana back for this tour! It has been a favorite for me since the first time I heard it (in Nashville, which was very appropriate).

onlyalways wrote:When they were introducing 1353 a woman in the balcony yelled and they went "Oh you've heard it already?" and she yelled "ODDBALL!" and Bret and Jemaine started going how that was a reference to a comedy tour they did, not their testicles. "We do not in fact have 'Odd Balls'" #lol#

This made me laugh for two reasons. a) the banter b) one of us having to answer that question :o (oh yeah, I heard it at this show, this show, this show, this show, this show, this show... #haha# )

onlyalways wrote:Jemaine: "Ah, I see King Cleve and Lady Land are here." #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

OMG. #lol# #jem# #blowkiss#

onlyalways wrote:One guy brought a tube to put it in and everything.

That is the saddest thing I have ever read on this board. #sadlove# And now I'm thinking maybe I should leave my poster tube home so I don't jinx myself. #haha# #shy#
blondesnotbombs

by Amily » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:57 pm

onlyalways wrote:Arj warmed everyone up, as tradition he was introduced by Jemaine. Jemaine is always great, but sometimes I wished they mixed it up and have Bret introduce him. (Maybe they have and I've only seen Jem do it?)

I don't think I've seen anyone but Jem do it either at least not that I remember #shrug#

I will say I had a couple let downs. Spoiler cutting just in case. (It's more like a spoiler by omission though.)

I also missed the Sugalumps ending, they didn't do that either. (Did they do that for NZ or Oddball though? I can't remember so maybe it's been awhile anyway.) AND I missed Epileptic Dogs with the audience participation, that was one of my favorites too.

I can't remember NZ OR Oddball and I went to three Odballs shows. #haha# Remember they didn't do Sugalumps at all in Berekley in '10! Also, I do recall that during the '09 tour when Sugalumps was introduced there were things added later on. As well as the Demon Woman suits were added mid tour or sometime after it had already started. At least that's how I'm remembering it. I could be totally wrong. #lol# #shy#

I know the video that Ami posted is BAD and WRONG but since I was there it was really nice to be able to re-watch the intro and one of the new songs. #shy# I may or may not need to turn that into an audio file... #whistle#

This makes me feel so much better for posting it. #glomp# I debated taking it down all day but I agree. It's nice if you've already seen their show to have mementos like this available. :)

Also like the recap Ami posted, they did A LOT of new material, more than I was expecting and I loved it. I'd much rather hear a brand new song they are still tinkering with than a legacy song they usually play, only because I've probably already seen them play that live at least a couple of times.

I'm with you and Sam on this. #thumbsup#

Also, I love where they've taken Father and Son. I think it's one of the few songs where we heard the beginning workings of it then through each tour slowly develop into a song that is unmistakably "Flight of the Conchords". :)

This is what I really love about the unreleased songs each time they perform them live! I can't wait to hear how this song and others have progressed. #excited2#

Party - FUCKING AMAZING. I've had it stuck in my head all day today.
Shady Rachel - Jazz song, my literal reaction after was "What the fuck did I just listen to?!" #rofl# It gets pretty weird pretty fast, but it was great seeing Bret play like an old Jazz musician and Jemaine play "Jazzy Jim" who couldn't stop scatting, sometimes even over Bret. Bret: "Shut up, Jazzy Jim!" #lol#
I'm a Seagull - HILARIOUS. They never stop taking things to brand new levels, I swear.

#excited# #excited2# #excited# #excited2# #excited#

And like in the recap Ami posted, Jemaine kept assuring the crowd that they were going to "fake leave" at the end but come right back on and do a couple more songs. "We're just that rock and roll" and "When we fake leave soon..." #haha#

To start ending this recap that got WAY out of hand, another one of my favorite moments was when Bret gestured to the box seats and went "I didn't know we had the Royal Family in town." and they shined some lights on the people in the boxes. #lol# Bret and Jem then started doing that kind of posh, royal wave and everyone in the seats started doing it too. Jemaine: "Ah, I see King Cleve and Lady Land are here." #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

#rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #jem# #blowkiss#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by blondesnotbombs » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Amily wrote:
onlyalways wrote:Arj warmed everyone up, as tradition he was introduced by Jemaine. Jemaine is always great, but sometimes I wished they mixed it up and have Bret introduce him. (Maybe they have and I've only seen Jem do it?)

I don't think I've seen anyone but Jem do it either at least not that I remember #shrug#

Bret introduced Kristen Schaal at one of the '09 shows I went to! I don't remember which one though. It does seem far more common for Jemaine to do the intros.
blondesnotbombs

by boomqueen » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Ahhh hearing all this just makes me even more impatient for our shows!! I know I will get to see the guys soon but I must admit it does make me sad hearing about Arj's set knowing he won't be at our shows #sadlove#

But I'm glad I can live through everyone who does see him and THE MORE DETAILS THE BETTER so I can pretend I was there!
boomqueen
You don't have to be a prostitute

by onlyalways » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:56 pm

blondesnotbombs wrote:Having said that, they should still play Bus Driver's Song at every show I attend. #haha#

This made me literally LOL. #lol#

There are still some older songs of theirs I don't think I've ever heard or MAYBE heard once. Like I would love to hear Pencils and Carol Brown and If You're Into It.

blondesnotbombs wrote:I'm assuming this Stana flub is the bit you said would kill me? You were correct. #ded#

#happyyes# #happyyes# #happyyes# They are too cute for their own good.

blondesnotbombs wrote:This made me laugh for two reasons. a) the banter b) one of us having to answer that question :o (oh yeah, I heard it at this show, this show, this show, this show, this show, this show... #haha# )

RIGHT? The friend I went to Oz/NZ with for that Conchords tour went to this show too and we would have to say "New Plymouth and Wellington!" just to see their eyes go :o

blondesnotbombs wrote:
onlyalways wrote:Jemaine: "Ah, I see King Cleve and Lady Land are here." #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

OMG. #lol# #jem# #blowkiss#

Amily wrote:
onlyalways wrote:"Ah, I see King Cleve and Lady Land are here." #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

#rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #jem# #blowkiss#

I KNOW RIGHT? The more I think of this the more I appreciate it. I really wanna know if this was premeditated or if he thought of it on the spot. Knowing them I'm guessing the ladder.

blondesnotbombs wrote:
onlyalways wrote:One guy brought a tube to put it in and everything.

That is the saddest thing I have ever read on this board. #sadlove# And now I'm thinking maybe I should leave my poster tube home so I don't jinx myself. #haha# #shy#

I had every intention to bring my poster tube, at least for the trip back home, and I totally forgot it. That poster tube has been all over the world, maybe I jinxed it by forgetting it!!

Remember they didn't do Sugalumps at all in Berekley in '10! Also, I do recall that during the '09 tour when Sugalumps was introduced there were things added later on. As well as the Demon Woman suits were added mid tour or sometime after it had already started. At least that's how I'm remembering it. I could be totally wrong. #lol# #shy#

Oh. I remember. I usually have amazing concert experience/luck but I can't ever forget getting gypped out of Sugalumps (with you, Ami, no less! #cry#) and now attending their first ever no poster gig. I gotta go check my karma or something.

And I TOTALLY forgot that they started adding suits at the tail end of the 09 tour. I was about to correct you saying that was only in 2010 but no you're right. I think they would change into them for the encore? Cause it definitely wasn't the tear away clothes. (Wait, or was it???)

Amily wrote:This makes me feel so much better for posting it. #glomp# I debated taking it down all day but I agree. It's nice if you've already seen their show to have mementos like this available. :)

AW you're good! #glomp# #glomp# You didn't know. And honestly I'm getting some mixed messages from Jem about the no recording policy. Like the little bit I've seen on Jem's twitter he'll kinda playfully scold people who are posting recordings, and I've seen fans reply and make a joke about it with no intention of taking it down and he's just like "Ok. #heart# " #lol# (But maybe he's only having these interactions with videos of their older songs? #shrug#)

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by boomqueen » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:41 pm

I would love to see them play If You're Into it and Bret, You Got it Goin' On. Those two songs were the first ones that made me fall in love with them! #love3#
boomqueen
You don't have to be a prostitute

PreviousNext

Return to 2016 North American Tour