Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

June 16 - Detroit, MI

2016 North American tour and warm-up gigs are here.

by tornadogirl » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Ami, you're so right about the meet and greets- and I hope they do more as the tour progresses.

Wow, you guys really found a lot of great pics! :) I love the ones of Bridget- Great Birthday gift indeed!

Here's a bit more of the convo on her Instagram comments:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGvcPmDoSY7/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tornadogirl
Considering second-hand underpants

by Amily » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Hey Laura! Thank you so much for sharing your recap with us! I really enjoyed reading it. #love3#

I'm about to leave on a 17+ hour trip to Vancouver today for my first show of the tour so I'm super pressed for time at the moment. I wish I could to write more but I've just been go go go the last couple of days and now it's down to the wire. I will try to reply in more detail once I'm back from my trip! I just wanted to leave you a quick note so that you weren't left wondering if anyone read your recap! Again, thank you for sharing it! I always love reading everyone's accounts and I hope to see you around here throughout the rest of the tour! ;D
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by blondesnotbombs » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Spoiler: show
tornadogirl wrote:They fleshed out some of the newer songs like Stana and Father & Son- they were a bit longer but I thought better. They really got banter-y during Stana, lol, and it was hilarious!

I agree about Father and Son, but I thought Stana was pretty perfect before. I don't mind the newer, more rambly version they're playing on this tour, but I don't necessarily think it's an improvement. I miss the more rapid delivery of the lyrics. I do like some of the new jokes though.

tornadogirl wrote:I see Mutha'uckas and Hurt Feelings being put down as a mashup. I disagree. They segued from MU to HF but they were both fully done. So 2 songs- not 1. :P

Yes, they're both there. #happyyes# But they were re-worked to flow right into each other, which is lovely, and they're blended together at the end. Thus the mashup. :)

tornadogirl wrote:Bret and Nigel as the choir of ex-gfs sounded lovely, as did Jemaine.

Agreed! I adore this song and it's always a treat, but the harmonies between Bret and Nigel made it especially wonderful. #loveeyes#

tornadogirl wrote:Shady Rachel. I need to hear it more and see if it'll grow on me. But yes, their comments as people got up to go to the bathroom were funnier than the song!

Well, now I'm unhappy that my audience was so well-behaved and remained seated the entire time. #rasp# I was cheated out of funny banter. >:(

tornadogirl wrote:The Seagull song. I couldn't love it more...Bret was on piano and he was on. point. His voice and playing were beautiful!

AGREED! The more I think about this song, the more I adore it.

tornadogirl wrote:When they were getting ready for 1353, they asked that the lights be made 'more medieval.' So it went dark for a few beats, lol. Then Jemaine had us all look up at the beautiful globe high up in the Fox's ceiling, how beautiful and how nice the light was from it. But that it really wasn't medieval...could someone please come and put some candles up there instead, lol?

#haha# In '09 I saw them at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, which is a stunning venue and looks like an old castle. I bet 1353 would be magical in that theatre (and Jemaine would approve #lol# ).

tornadogirl wrote:I'd much rather have heard Bus Driver's Song or Jenny than Business Time but...maybe next time.

I am so sad they're not playing Bus Driver's Song on this tour. #sadlove#

tornadogirl wrote:They added a bit of "Roxanne" to YDHTBAProstitute.

I am so jealous of everyone that gets to hear You Don't Have to Be a Prostitute, with or without the added bit of Roxanne (though that sounds amazing too). #fit#

Thank you for sharing, Laura! #excited#
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

Re:

by onlyalways » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Lovely photos, Laura! #heart#

tornadogirl wrote:His last bit about possibly getting a network of his own, "like Oprah," called 'Eugene TV' just about killed me. He played promos of some of the shows. Kristen Schall was in one, and the one that about made me pee my pants was called 'Antiquers.' Deadpan humor kills me. I know it was just a comedy bit but I would watch all of those shows!

Eugene was the opener for my Columbus show and my friend and I were DYING over "Horseback Surprise!" #rofl#

Afterwards they were asking people up front if they met someone who looked just like them, could they have a relationship with them? Could they have sex with someoe who looked exactly like them?? When he finally got a 'yes,' Jemaine said "Freak." #haha#

#rofl#

I see Mutha'uckas and Hurt Feelings being put down as a mashup. I disagree. They segued from MU to HF but they were both fully done. So 2 songs- not 1. :P

I agree, plus the mashup is gorgeous. #inlove#

The Seagull song. I couldn't love it more. It's beautiful. Only FOTC could write and perform a song that starts out so angsty and end it with you laughing your ass off. Bret was on piano and he was on. point. His voice and playing were beautiful! Jemaine, his straight-man...well....you'll see. :) Now I wish I'd gotten the seagull tshirt.

Seagull is a rollercoaster of a song and I loved every second of it. #lol# #love3#

But quite homoerotic! #evilgrin#

I literally said almost the exact same thing when they did their recorder antics for the Columbus show. #haha#

They added a bit of "Roxanne" to YDHTBAProstitute. Bret started singing 'Juh-maaaaaaaaine' and J may have said something about red lights...I'm not sure. We were all laughing and wooing and clapping. Bret said after that they'd done it in OH because Sting had been in the audience.

#happyyes# Apparently this is true, and some fans saw Sting and Peter Gabriel leave through the stage door. There were some tweets like "Wanted to meet Bret and Jemaine, but saw Sting instead." #lol#

Show ends, happiness overload is happening in my brain, and we decide to go ahead and head over to the same spot we had our meet n greet 7 years ago. Some WTF friends were there and we all waited. After only about 45 minutes or so- Bret came out! They opened the gate and set up 1 small barricade and we were off. :) He was so sweet. I was wearing the tour shirt from back then and he'd signed the back, Jemaine the front. He got a kick out of seeing it. I didn't ask him to sign anything- I think I had them sign about 4 things last time! I just thanked him for coming back...reminded him that they told us they'd be back in 2009. After our pic, he said "see you 2023," lol! I told him I hoped it wouldn't be that long. :) He signed Tom's shirt, right over where Jemaine had signed it last time but since it had been washed a lot, you could barely see his sig. Covered by Bret's now, lol. While he was finishing up with a friend, they were talking about last time and Sugalumps. I told him we'd been left side front row and he'd posed for a pic but it came out blurry. He asked 'was it like this?' and he got in the legs-spread, thrust position. "Yep!" Wish I'd had the camera ready.

We watched and helped with pics as everyone else got their turns and before the crowd had all seen Bret- out came Jemaine! :D This was the highlight of the entire night for me.

So the guard-dude had us line up on the opposite side for him. When it was my turn I started to go up to him and he looked at me and said "Laura." #thud# I probably looked like a deer in the headlights. "How..." and he said "I remimber you." *Faint* * Swoon* #heart# #love3# #loveeyes# Jemaine remembered me...and he knew my name!

One of my friends there posted this on FB: "Yes, I was a couple of people behind Laura in line, and Jemaine said, loudly and authoritatively,
"LAURA",
and it was so cool!!!" #jem# #heart#

He was just so sweet and laid-back- they both were. I told him- oh, I also told Bret the same- that they were fantastic, the show was great, yada, yada, lol. Pic snapped by a friend rather than with my old camera- It's why my Bret-pic is crap, lol. Ah well. Eugene was also there and we told him he was hilarious- he really was! Tom thanked them for coming out to meet with us, and I'm so glad because it's so true! We're so lucky.
I didn't get the poster because, well...I didn't care for it. I took a pic. I did get the grey "Flight of the Motherflippin Conchords" tee. I love it.
It was a great night. :D
Anyone who has the chance to see them still on this tour- do it!

I LOVE/HATE THEM SO MUCH!

BRET APPRECIATING THE '09 TOUR SHIRT AND THRUSTING FOR YOU

JEMAINE REMEMBERING YOUR NAME

THEY ARE TOO TOO MUCH! #ded#

Thank you SO much for sharing, sounds like it was a hell of a night! #buttrock#

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by tornadogirl » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Glad to share- and to read everyone else's experiences, too.

I've missed them. I've missed this. :)

And though it was almost a week ago, I still feel quite floaty about it.

Off to read more!
tornadogirl

by gezyka » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:47 pm

Umm.

citizenyoga: @flightoftheconchords loved Citizen so much that they asked us to teach a private session! Check out our teacher @sitarabird hangin' with the band

Source

:o #ded#

And same, but better:

sitarabird: Post yoga bliss with @flightoftheconchords at the #FoxTheatre thanks for having me y'all!

Source

Anyone here teach yoga? #loveeyes# #haha#
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by onlyalways » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:05 pm

gezyka wrote:And same, but better:

sitarabird: Post yoga bliss with @flightoftheconchords at the #FoxTheatre thanks for having me y'all!

Source

This picture is better because:

more smiley
    nigel isn't mid-blink
    NIGEL'S ARM

gezyka wrote:Anyone here teach yoga? #loveeyes# #haha#

No, but maybe they could teach us. #evilgrin#

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by tornadogirl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:32 pm

Oh my lord.... #thud# #ded#

My first reaction to this was to wonder if they'd all had a sleepover and who was that woman and 'ooooh, look at Jemaine's lovely sweatpants....' and OMG she is so lucky! #lol#

Never heard of the place but it's just 2 blocks from where my friend stayed. If only she'd known she could have joined them for a yoga class! #drool#
tornadogirl

by Amily » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:37 am

Setlist

Chips and Dips
Father and Son
Foux du Fafa
The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room)
The Ballad of Stana
Mutha'uckas / Hurt Feelings
Carol Brown