Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:44 pm

NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:45 pm

flickr/mark.carney (MASSIVE versions at the source)
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by gezyka » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Amily wrote:Image

I love this one. #lol#

Also, it's adorable how the little piano has cartoony music notes on it. #love3#
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by caiknbake » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:50 pm

this whole thread #loveeyes# #loveeyes# #loveeyes# #loveeyes#

and holy moly, check out nigel's hair!!!
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by emira » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:35 am

gezyka wrote:

I love this one. #lol#

It caught my eye straight away as well. #lol#

Also, it's adorable how the little piano has cartoony music notes on it. #love3#

Bret... #love3#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by blondesnotbombs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:58 am

gezyka wrote:

I love this one. #lol#

#dance# #dance#

gezyka wrote:Also, it's adorable how the little piano has cartoony music notes on it. #love3#

I hadn't noticed that! Awwwwwwwwww!! #love3#
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by Amily » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Set list. :)

Spoiler: show
Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor
(with Arj Barker)
Robots
The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room)
You Want Me (New song, title is just a guess)
Albi the Racist Dragon
Hurt Feelings
Jenny
Bus Driver's Song
Foux du Fafa
The Summer of 1353
Think About It
Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros
Inner City Pressure
I'm Not Crying
Boom
Father and Son (New song, just played an excerpt from the middle of the song. Title is just a guess)
Business Time
Bowie
Demon Woman

Encore:
Back On The Road
We're Both in Love With a Sexy Lady
Sugalumps (with Arj Barker) (Ballad version)

source
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by emira » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:15 pm

One more from Amanda and she's teasing us to be posting more soon!

emira

by emira » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:11 pm

emira

by gezyka » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:57 pm

emira wrote:Image

#wave# Bret's nostrils! #love3# (also #loveeyes# )
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:22 am

I think this is from this show...

source
gezyka

by emira » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Flight of the Conchords live at Auckland Town Hall review

It seems like only yesterday I went to join my friends at the front of the queue for Flight of the Conchords tickets. It’s a rare thing to see people camped out outside a box office in New Zealand, but as the best seats in the house were only available there (with the rest released online), this provided an extra incentive.

It was a stroke of luck that I did end up in that queue, thanks to a call to arms on Facebook from a friend, I was suddenly reminded that this was something worth doing, and who was I kidding really – this was actually too good to miss. I mean, they’ve become world famous and achieved so much over the years, between them they’ve won an Oscar and gained movie star status with The Muppet Movie and Men In Black. This was set to be the celebratory homecoming tour of the year.

I’m proud to say I did see them back in the early days at the Classic Comedy Club before they headed to Edinburgh Festival in 2004. Back then there were less songs and more room for awkward banter between them. That was the last time they played Auckland and it was the first time I’d seen them live since, and oh what a show to come back to. It felt just right seeing them in the grand yet intimate setting of the beautiful Town Hall. I should mention that due to me queuing so bright and early I’d scored front row seats. They were better than A1, my seat was ‘AA 11′, twice as nice and totally worth it.

Arj Barker, comedian and co-star of their tv show, did a great warm up set, then there was a twenty minute intermission to get even more hyped up. I wasn’t expecting that, it’s like having an ad break after the opening credits, but provided another chance to form a crowded queue at the merch stand with its impressive spread of FOTC merchandise. There were six or seven different t-shirts as well as tea towels, tote bags and y-fronts in two sizes, they had it all covered.

The crowd broke into massive cheers when Bret and Jemaine walked on stage to begin with Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor (wearing cardboard boxes as speakers on their heads) followed by a robotic rendition of The Distant Future. For this, a quick 180 swivel of the boxes revealed robot heads on the back! Genius.

They played all our old faves, and it was such a thrill and a novelty to see these well loved songs performed live, and to think how many more fans now know all the words thanks to their American tv show. (I can’t have been the only one singing along and noticing where they’d changed the odd lyric to fit the show!). They seem just as casual and unassuming as ever, and the banter hasn’t changed much, just a few more tour stories, pausing to fill in time while Jemaine tuned his bass, or for one of their crew to bring over the ‘Wozinator’, a wooden percussion instrument, just one of many instruments on stage.

The highlights were many, from lesser known songs like Jenny, an amusing tale of mistaken identity, and Bus Driver’s Song with it’s bittersweet small town New Zealand charm, to many of their well loved hits such as Albi the Racist Dragon and The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room). I rediscovered my love for that most manly of songs – I’ve Got Hurt Feelings, and enjoyed a cheeky round of Too Many Mother’uckas. We also got a sneak peek at some new stuff – Sex Tips, the sexiest, funniest Franz Ferdinand tribute ever, and to fill in time, they played “the middle bit” of a poignant father and son song that “wasn’t quite ready”. For the second half they really brought it home with more hits, What is Wrong with the World Today, straight into Business Time, Inner City Pressure, and a bit of that freaky Bowie and blew us away near the end with a truly emotional I’m Not Crying.

The costumes changes continued as they went on, and built up from the cardboard box headgear to the grand finale of those glittering jumpsuits for the outrageously rockin’ finale of Demon Woman. Needless to say I finally caved and got out my camera.

The mood lighting was extra special. Before each song started Bret would ask for things like “European lighting” (red, white and blue for ‘Foux de Fafa’), “futuristic lighting” (The Distant Future), “sad lighting”, or “medieval lighting” for various others.

There was a generous amount of instruments on stage – a tiny toy piano, keyboards, synths, a drum-kit, hell, even room for recorder solos, but who played that steel drum sitting behind Jemaine? No-one, it was just there for show. See, that’s how flash they are now.

Cellist Nigel Collins, ‘the third Conchord’ for this tour, did an excellent job of adding to the show with an impromptu cello solo, as well as pitching in on recorder, keys, backing vocals and drums for the big rocking finale.

Arj Barker came back on for the encore, joining in on Sugalumps, as they stood up to rap and sing accapella. They ended up right in front of me, and as Jemaine reclined across the edge of the stage I noticed he was actually wearing business socks! That was it, my night was complete.

Review and photos by Dedee W.

House of Tracks

#love3# and #shakefist# about the unused instruments!
emira

by chrissycubana » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:51 pm

but who played that steel drum sitting behind Jemaine? No-one, it was just there for show. See, that’s how flash they are now.[/size]

Eugene was there in spirit. #excited2# #excited2# #excited2#

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by emira » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:22 pm

chrissycubana wrote:
but who played that steel drum sitting behind Jemaine? No-one, it was just there for show. See, that’s how flash they are now.[/size]

Eugene was there in spirit. #excited2# #excited2# #excited2#

#lol# Did anyone see a sax there as well? ;)
emira

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tour of New Zealand and Australia