Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

17 June - New Plymouth, NZ

It's all right here.

by emira » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:09 pm

onlyalways wrote:Jem would have been perfect to ask but that stupid face of his makes me lose all function in my social skills.

Do you think it'd be better if he put his Boris face on? ;D
emira
You can't break this heart...

by chrissycubana » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:49 pm

emira wrote:
onlyalways wrote:Jem would have been perfect to ask but that stupid face of his makes me lose all function in my social skills.

#rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

he really creeped me out as boris. the hand/creature thing... meep!
#shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy# #shy#

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by Amily » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Courtney, I was just looking at pics and was reminded... do you know what songs Jem used the accordion and bass for?

I know sometimes they don't use all the instruments that are set up but I'm curious about the accordion especially so I have to ask. ;D
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by gezyka » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:31 pm

Didn't he sometimes use the bass for Business Time last tour? And my current guess for accordion is Foux du Fafa. ;D

(sorry...not Courtney obviously, but like playing guessing games!)
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by Amily » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:38 pm

gezyka wrote:Didn't he sometimes use the bass for Business Time last tour? And my current guess for accordion is Foux du Fafa. ;D

It's cool. ;D I'll have to let someone else confirm the Business Time thing because I don't remember at all but that's not saying much. #lol# And I'll say you're probably right about Foux du Fafa. I forgot they've been playing that!
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by onlyalways » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:48 am

emira wrote:

I'm so willing to see how I'd do with his Boris get-up on. I think this would work better, actually. #lol# As long as I don't get darted in the neck.

Amily wrote:
gezyka wrote:Didn't he sometimes use the bass for Business Time last tour? And my current guess for accordion is Foux du Fafa. ;D

It's cool. ;D I'll have to let someone else confirm the Business Time thing because I don't remember at all but that's not saying much. #lol# And I'll say you're probably right about Foux du Fafa. I forgot they've been playing that!

We didn't see Jem play the accordion last night! We also didn't hear Foux du Fafa though. And Jemaine played a triangle for one of the songs, I think it was business time! Yeah he didn't have the Uke bass for that song if I'm remembering right.

We heard 1353 and Bret sang a lot of the parts this time! Like the guy asking for ID and such.

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by blondesnotbombs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:55 am

onlyalways wrote:We didn't see Jem play the accordion last night! We also didn't hear Foux du Fafa though. And Jemaine played a triangle for one of the songs, I think it was business time! Yeah he didn't have the Uke bass for that song if I'm remembering right.

I'm sad you didn't hear the accordian, if only because I'm dying to know what song he used it for. #haha#

onlyalways wrote:We heard 1353 and Bret sang a lot of the parts this time! Like the guy asking for ID and such.

#ded#

Did you like this version or did you prefer the way it was performed last time around?
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by emira » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:17 pm

onlyalways wrote:We heard 1353 and Bret sang a lot of the parts this time! Like the guy asking for ID and such.

:o I'd LOVE to hear this new updated version! #excited2#
emira

by Amily » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:28 pm

#doh# I just got a chance to wtch the Business Time video from Auckland and Jemaine is playing bass so question answered there. #lol#

Too bad they didn't use the accordion or play Foux du Fafa though! :(
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by emira » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Mistakes provide some more laughs
Review: Flight of the Conchords
HANNAH FLEMING
Last updated 07:44 19/06/2012

It was certainly "Business Time" on Sunday night when the Flight of the Conchords landed at the TSB Showplace.

A full house packed the New Plymouth theatre to see New Zealand's favourite musical comedy duo and their plus one, a lone cellist named Nigel from the "New Zealand Sympathy Orchestra".

Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie started off with a hiss and a roar, opening with their classic tune Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor, featuring MC Arj Barker, aka Dave, from the television series.

The repertoire of classics was there, including Business Time, The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room, Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenocerous, and Albi the Racist Dragon.

A couple of new songs were also given a test drive, and hit a few speed bumps on delivery.

Forgetting the lyrics is typically a performer's suicide. However, it's no surprise that the Conchords managed to work it into their comedic magic.

While many of their jokes were scripted, their ability to ad-lib was proven without question, and their low- key, somewhat monotone humour goes to show just how their uniqueness works.

Being a Sunday evening, the New Plymouth crowd appeared to lack a bit of enthusiasm, which was picked up on by McKenzie who joked: "It really feels like we're not getting along very well."

However, the audience-performer relationship developed during Epileptic Dogs, when Clement and McKenzie drummed up a four-part harmony.

Although a bit shaky, the ladies' part of the harmony was given a boost by one enthused member, who shrieked her lines, and who McKenzie described as being "the inspiring leader".

The entertainment factor kicked up a notch when the pair ditched their stools and and put their dancing shoes on - Clement with his pelvic thrusts and McKenzie with his crazy, somewhat psychedelic moves.

Overall, it was a treat to have the duo in the region. However, it was tough to work out whether the love was reciprocated.

Clement summed it up when he said, "What a night, what an audience" - the omission of adjectives causing confusion as to whether that was a good thing, or a bad thing.

Taranaki Daily News

#love3# #lol# Awww, poor guys experienced some quiet, confusing audience. and then they confused them in return. #haha#
emira

by gezyka » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 pm

So I was going to ask Courtney how the audience was in comparison to the shows she'd been to in the US and UK... #lol#
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by onlyalways » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:46 pm

blondesnotbombs wrote:
onlyalways wrote:We didn't see Jem play the accordion last night! We also didn't hear Foux du Fafa though. And Jemaine played a triangle for one of the songs, I think it was business time! Yeah he didn't have the Uke bass for that song if I'm remembering right.

I'm sad you didn't hear the accordian, if only because I'm dying to know what song he used it for. #haha#

#ded#

Did you like this version or did you prefer the way it was performed last time around?

I'm crossing my fingers we get to see the accordion in action during our Welly show. #pray#

I really liked this version, but it was almost hard to fully enjoy because mentally I was going "What?!" everytime Bret would sing because I wasn't expecting it. If I had to choose I may prefer "the original" because I heard it first? This is also coming from a Jemaine fangirl though. :P

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by blondesnotbombs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:06 am

onlyalways wrote:I really liked this version, but it was almost hard to fully enjoy because mentally I was going "What?!" everytime Bret would sing because I wasn't expecting it. If I had to choose I may prefer "the original" because I heard it first? This is also coming from a Jemaine fangirl though. :P

#haha# Well, this Bret fangirl is having a hard time imagining a reworked version of the song, so I understand where you're coming from. I'm quite smitten with the song as I already know it.
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by onlyalways » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:15 am

blondesnotbombs wrote:I'm quite smitten with the song as I already know it.

This is my conundrum! Like most of their songs, I like when they'll both sing and work off each other. But I love the original so much.

I really hope someone records the new version in the upcoming tour dates.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by onlyalways » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:35 am

gezyka wrote:So I was going to ask Courtney how the audience was in comparison to the shows she'd been to in the US and UK... #lol#

That's so funny that that article brought this up! #rofl# Ok, so the audience was a bit on the quieter side. I wouldn't say they didn't reciprocate the love, but maybe they were just a bit more shy about showing it?

When we were talking with Bret after the show, my friend Beth said that this was her first show while I said that I've already been to a few. Bret looked over at me with this intense stare and asked "What was with that show?!" I really didn't know what he meant, plus I was distracted by the extended eye contact to be honest. #haha# But I asked what he meant and he said something like "What was with the vibe?" or "The vibe was off." I told him that the audience seemed more quiet than usual and he agreed.

Maybe I missed something. Maybe all my excitement clouded the weird vibes around me. ;D

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tour of New Zealand and Australia