Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Is it a nature show? - the Name of the Band

New Zealand's fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo.

by emira » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:24 pm

kelly vv wrote:
My friend Paul (...) told me "You have to watch this show! Flight of the Conchords!" And I kind of rolled my eyes because he was also in love with "Planet Earth" at the time so I'm thinking - "what is this? Conchords in their natural habitat? like something on Discovery?"

A thread to talk about the name of the band ;D

There are two stories (as far as I know) of how the Guys came up with the name:

1. in a dream (I think it was Bret's dream)

...while they were college roommates and was inspired by a dream in which a V formation of Gibson flying Vs reminded them of a group of Concorde airplanes to name their act Flight of the Conchords.
source

2. after the flat toilet's name

But the final name was chanced upon in a series of events that went something like this: Jemaine went to the bathroom and noticed the flat toilet was called the Concorde, he returned from the bathroom to suggest the name Conchord, and Bret said “What about Flight of the Conchords”, and Jemaine said “okay”, and Bret said “okay “, and Jemaine said “okay then” and Bret said “We should go to the gig, we’re late”.
source

I'm doing my own little project to raise awareness ('aweenus' [image] ) for F O The C in my country and I was trying to translate the name. Actually, it's pretty awesome, though when I first heard it, I thought it's long (Crazy Dogzzz sounds much better [image] or U2, REM, INXS, ACDC...)

I love wordgames, especially if I can get them :P, so I think Bret's and Jemaine's wits start already with the name of their band.

con from Latin means 'together with', so Flight of the 'Together-With-Chords' (?) [image]

How do you understand this name?

What was your first thought when you heard the name of the band (or show)?
emira
You can't break this heart...

by onlyalways » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:32 am

Yay raising aweenus! [image] [image]

I had wondered how they really came up with the name, but I also like the mystery of it.

I'm positive I first heard of the show on a HBO promo before one of my Entourage DVDs. Name-wise, I just remembered being curious about it and a little confused. [image]

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by accordions » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:59 pm

emira wrote:

con from Latin means 'together with', so Flight of the 'Together-With-Chords' (?) [image]

My friend thinks that 'con' is clever, as it implies trickery and deception (in that they appear to be extremely serious, when they are just being comedic) [image]

Even if it wasn't intentional, it's still quite a good interpretation [image]
accordions
Bowie's in space

by emira » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:22 pm

accordions wrote:
emira wrote:

My friend thinks that 'con' is clever, as it implies trickery and deception (in that they appear to be extremely serious, when they are just being comedic) [image]

Even if it wasn't intentional, it's still quite a good interpretation [image]

Studying con on answers.com makes me even more confused :o , but I like what your friend said, Jessie :D. Thanks!

n

Definition: trick
Antonyms: honesty, truthfulness

v

Definition: deceive, defraud
Antonyms: be forthright, be honest

They are very serious about being comedic [image] .
emira

by hellomyfriend » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:59 pm

My first thought was just that they took airplane imagery and made it musical ... the same way they turned animals into rappers with Rhymenoceros / Hiphopopotamus.

Like, if you wanted to make a band and you wanted to conjure an image of koalas in the 1970s, you might call them The Froalas.

hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by sargifster » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:18 pm

From the liner notes of the BBC Radio show:

In the meantime, let's leave Jemaine with the last word: "It's kind of like the Beatles, how they put the "Beat" with the "les". We put "Con" with "chord". So, we're up there with some pretty big bands who have also used pun names."
sargifster
Administrator

by emira » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:23 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:My first thought was just that they took airplane imagery and made it musical ... the same way they turned animals into rappers with Rhymenoceros / Hiphopopotamus.

Maybe this is so (I like this interpretation too) and I'm looking for a double bottom where there isn't any. [image]

somehow 'a double bottom' derailed my mind to different areas ;D
emira

by emira » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:53 pm

sargifster wrote:From the liner notes of the BBC Radio show:

In the meantime, let's leave Jemaine with the last word: "It's kind of like the Beatles, how they put the "Beat" with the "les". We put "Con" with "chord". So, we're up there with some pretty big bands who have also used pun names."

[image] [image] [image]

Good that they didn't call themselves Chordless! [image]

Oh! This reminds me the scene from New Cup :o

When Murray reads the review of their gig after Bret and Jemaine sold their guitars.

"Flight of the Nochords"

It was hard to tell if the band was a band or a mime troupe... No stars.

Maybe they called their band Conchords when they got the guitars? [image]

...And we're back in square one, I mean, my first post - con as 'with'. ;D
emira

by gezyka » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:10 pm

I will always pine after photos/videos of them as Vested Interests. [image]

What was the first performance that you two did as Flight of the Conchords?

Bret: We did a few strange gigs before we performed as Flight of the Conchords. One of the first versions was not a duo but a four piece called Vested Interests. We wore vests and played catchy tunes.

Jemaine: A vest in New Zealand is a sweater vest in your language. If it were Sweater Vested Interests it wouldn't fly.

Bret: It didn't fly in New Zealand either. The first gig we did as Flight of the Conchords was playing while an audience was coming in and sitting down rather than an actual comedy act. Our songs, which we thought were weird, the audience found funny.
source
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by Amily » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:20 pm

onlyalways wrote:Yay raising aweenus! [image] [image]

[image] [image] [image] [image]

Awesome thread idea, Sylwia! [image] Now I have to read the rest of the replies before I can say anymore. :P

(Also, I couldn't not respond to "Aweenus" [image] [image] )
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by emira » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:19 am

Thanks, Ami! [image]

gezyka wrote:I will always pine after photos/videos of them as Vested Interests. [image]

Since we're talking about the names of their first band(s) there were also these:

The first song was Foux Du FaFa, (two chords) and they called themselves [size=133]Moustache. The four piece band had Bret on casio-tone, Jemaine on guitar, and their friends Toby Laing and Tim Jaray on trumpet and double bass.

/..../

On the afternoon of the gig they realised they needed a band name. The initial list of names included Roxygen Supply, Albatrocity, and Tanfastic.
[/size]
source

I like Tanfastic [image] .
emira

by accordions » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 am

emira wrote:
Since we're talking about the names of their first band(s) there were also these:

The first song was Foux Du FaFa, (two chords) and they called themselves [size=133]Moustache. The four piece band had Bret on casio-tone, Jemaine on guitar, and their friends Toby Laing and Tim Jaray on trumpet and double bass.

/..../

On the afternoon of the gig they realised they needed a band name. The initial list of names included Roxygen Supply, Albatrocity, and Tanfastic.
[/size]
source

I have always loved Albatrocity [image]
accordions
Bowie's in space

by gezyka » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:33 am

emira wrote:

/..../

[/size]
source

Tanfastic is the name of a tanning salon chain here. http://www.tanfasticsa.com/ [image]
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by emira » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:56 am

gezyka wrote:
emira wrote:

source

Tanfastic is the name of a tanning salon chain here. http://www.tanfasticsa.com/ [image]

[image] [image] [image] I wonder who was first ;D

Roxygen Supply, on the other hand, reminds me Roxy Music

[image]
emira

by chrissycubana » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 am

emira wrote:
gezyka wrote:

[image] [image] [image] I wonder who was first ;D

Roxygen Supply, on the other hand, reminds me Roxy Music

[image]

[image] punning on roxy music + air supply!

(i love both bands [image] [image] yes, i am a total cheeseball)

see esp. "more than this" by roxy music [image] [image] [image]

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

Next

Return to Flight of the Conchords