Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Meeting the guys--photos!!

Have you ever met the Conchords? Share your stories here.

by sally » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:42 pm

So I didn't do this ages ago when I should have, but here are the pics from when I met the boys in Chicago and Columbus...per Chrissy's request ;)

Chicago--Jemaine gives good face.

Bret... <3

My magazine cover...complete with an orb over Bret due to the intense flash on my crap camera.

Columbus
Jessie patting Jemaine's belly

Jessie is my hero!

Six hours in the car did me no favors. But Bret's still cute.
*~I don't think that's right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.~*
sally
Bowie's in space

by hellomyfriend » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:47 pm

sally wrote:
Bret... <3
[image]

That smile just killed me. I'm now typing from the afterlife.
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by ines » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:55 pm

um yip bret pretty much looks freakin hot in the 7th pic!!!!
i love his cholo looking attire ;)
ines
The day time of the night

by ines » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:59 pm

[quote author=sally board=talk thread=841 post=17054 time=1215830537]So I didn't do this ages ago when I should have, but here are the pics from when I met the boys in Chicago and Columbus...per Chrissy's request ;)

[image]

Jemaine looks like he could be your boyfriend. The way he layed his arm around your shoulder looks so territorial ;)
ines
The day time of the night

by ohjeez » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:16 pm

ines wrote:um yip bret pretty much looks freakin hot in the 7th pic!!!!
i love his cholo looking attire ;)
LOLZ i love how you keep saying that he's a cholo. hahaha.

these pictures are super cute. jemaine's face is so awesome in the first one...his face is totally like "yeah...i know i'm a hot bitch" :P ;D
ohjeez
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by chrissycubana » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:17 pm

[image]

Did anyone else notice the very small freckle on Jem's thumb in this pic. OMG so cute!!! He's like a cheetah. A SIXY cheetah! reaowww! ;)

Sally - great pics!! Thank you so much for sharing. You really DO look like you could be Jem's sig other!

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by severine999 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:24 pm

sally wrote:

[image]

I have to say I like this one best. Here, Jemaine is saying 'that's right, I'm out with my special lady. What of it??', while you're saying 'yes, I AM his special lady!! ghaough;lhgl!!!1!111!'

In other words, cuteness all around.

severine999

by Katie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Sally!!! I was in Columbus and I remember seeing you guys take these and thinking how lucky you were! You got some really amazing photos! :o I specifically remember watching you take the one of your friend making googly eyes at Bret. That is such an adorable shot.

And I love that Jemaine wrote "Don't look at this picture" on your magazine cover. ;D
Katie
Totally Fine

by sally » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:35 pm

AH! Really? She told me she was going to look at him "longingly" when I took it, and I just laughed it off. When she posed, I started laughing and I could hear giggling behind me, but Bret just kept the same face. After the pic, he pointed at Jessie, looked at me and said, "Casey...what was going on there?" And at the exact same time, Jessie and I said, "Um...don't worry about it." He just kind of smirked and we walked away. Ohhhh, what a night!

Also...when Jemaine signed that magazine cover...hilarious. He signed his name first and that was it. I thanked him. Then he wrote the words really slowly and I was reading along as he wrote them..."don't...look...at...this...picture...WHat?!" He stopped writing, and gave me that AWESOME coy Jemaine look as if that were the period on the end of the sentence then asked, "Do you want me to make it out to you?" So I said, "Sure."
"What's your name?"

"Oh. Um...Casey"
"Cee-Ay-Is-Ee--Y?"
"What? Oh, C-A-S-E-Y Yeah"
So he wrote my name. Then, he said..."Hmm...to" and wrote that part out. Then, still wasn't satisfied and wrote "From" above his name. Then he turned to me and said, "I have to write all the words out."

Man...now I'm re-basking in the glow. I want to tell you guys the whole story now. Will post tomorrow. I promise. ;D

I should have done this sooner.
*~I don't think that's right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.~*
sally
Bowie's in space

by hellomyfriend » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:45 pm

sally wrote:AH! Really? She told me she was going to look at him "longingly" when I took it, and I just laughed it off. When she posed, I started laughing and I could hear giggling behind me, but Bret just kept the same face. After the pic, he pointed at Jessie, looked at me and said, "Casey...what was going on there?" And at the exact same time, Jessie and I said, "Um...don't worry about it." He just kind of smirked and we walked away. Ohhhh, what a night! ...

Your friend's longing photo:

Reminds me of this one (from Flickr):

;D ;D ;D

------------------
EDIT: I just noticed he's wearing the same thing! It must be from the same night! #aziz#
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by Katie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:56 pm

Yeah, that is from the same night! I talked to those girls, they were sweet. They were also at the Chicago show, I think.
Katie
Totally Fine

by thedistantfuture » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:58 pm

I love the 'longing' photo...awesome that you got to meet them Sally! :)
thedistantfuture

by sally » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:44 am

Okay, here's how the whole thing went down. I didn't get tickets to the Chicago show because it sold out in some ridiculous amount of time. Which prompted me to write a "Man I love the Conchords and have loved them for ages and can't believe I got shot down" piece for Spunkybean.com. I ended up getting tickets to the Columbus show so, sadness was gone.

Anyway, a friend of mine met Dolly Parton (yes) at the Chicago Theatre stage door and said it was super easy, and I'd heard other stories about meeting the guys from the tour, so I printed my article and went with my roommate to the theatre. We got there at about 9 and stayed until the show let out.

It's been ages now, so you all know how things transpired outside the stage door in the alley and how long that line was. Bret made it over to us first, and I handed him the article I wrote in an envelope covered in drawings I'd done.
"Aw! A present!"
"Yeah, it's just something I wrote. It's for both of you."
"Great." Then he turned to the security guard and said, "Can you hold this for me?"
Bret went to shake my roommate, David's hand, but David had already extended his hand before and they ended up knocking wrists instead, which Bret turned into a joke. He started pretending to grab David's arm. He signed my magazine cover and I told him I didn't have tickets to the show because it sold out, but I would be driving to see them on Friday.
"In Columbus?"
"Yeah, in Ohio."
"In Columbus."
"Yes. Columbus...Ohio. It's about a six hour drive."
"Oh, wowzers! Really?"
"Yeah..."
"Well, we'll see you on Friday then."

David then told Bret he didn't have any paper and wanted to know if he would sign the back of his iPhone.

"Do you really want me to sign this?"
"Yeah."
I said, "I can't believe this, David. You're actually letting him sign your phone."
Bret said, "Yeah, you're going to toss this out tomorrow. You'll wake up like 'Ah! Why did I do that?!'" We all had a laugh, took photos. He said goodbye to us and left. When he got in the car to leave, the security guard ran over and handed him my article through the window.

Jemaine...I told the Jemaine story up a few posts...about how he signed my magazine cover while I read it aloud. When he signed David's phone he said, "Do you have a Flight of the Conchords iPhone?"
David said, "Um...no. I didn't know they had them."
So, after he signed his name, he wrote a huge FOTC across the back of it and gave David a look as if to say, "They do now!"

As we were leaving, I said, "Thank you so much."
He said, "Ah, you're welcome so much. Have a good night, guys."

AHHHH!

Okay...so Columbus. My friend Jessie and I are standing there like idiots not knowing what to do and Bret walks over to me and extends his hand.
"Hi, I'm Bret."
"I...yeah. Hi. I actually talked to you guys on Wednesday."
"Oh, in Chicago. I'm sorry. I was in a hurry that night. Were you in that really long line?"
"Yeah, I was. I handed you my article."
"You did? You'll have to remind me. We get a lot of stuff."
"It was in an envelope. There were drawings all over it. I think I may have drawn the loch ness monster..."
"Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah...the one with all the stuff on it!"
"Yeah. ..so, would you mind signing something for my friend Adam? "
"Yeah, sure."
"All I have is my journal...so...don't read my thoughts."
"I won't read your thoughts."
"Oh, and apparently I've done some figuring on the opposite page so, don't look at my math."
"I won't look at your math...This is to Adam?"
"Yes."
"What's your name?"
"Casey."
So he wrote: Adam, Casey asked me to sign this for you. And signed his name.

Anyway I thanked him and he said, "So you were at the Chicago show, you said? You guys are from there?"
"Yeah, we're from there. No, I didn't make the show..."
"Oh, right. It was sold out, right?"
"Yeah..."
"Wow...how long of a drive is that for you guys?"
"Six hours."
"Wow. You drove it today?"
"Yep. We got here just in time for the show."
"Oh, wow. So you guys are staying the night then." (He said this very matter-of-fact. As if he'd planned OUR tour.)
"Um...no."
"WHAT?! You're driving back tonight?"
"Well, Jessie has to work in the morning so..."
"Six hours here, a show, and six hours back?"
"Yeah. "
"You guys are really dedicated."
"Well, I've wanted to see you play for ages so..."
"Was the road trip...was it alright?"
"Yeah. We talked most of the way. It actually went by really quickly. We'll probably grab some food when we leave here and listen to music all the way back. We can entertain ourselves. I know...we're insane..."
"Nah. That sounds like fun!"

So...then we took those photos, including the googly eyed one. Then a couple other people asked us if we would take their photos with Bret. That was when I felt like I might be hogging him, so I broke away.

Jemaine was standing over by the fence looking all shy and whatnot. So we walked up to him and said hi. I asked him to sign my journal for Adam.
"You can't give him your journal!"
"No. Obviously. I'm going to rip the page out. I may have said some awful things about him in there."
He stopped writing, looked at me, started grinning and said,
"Okay...now that's tempting...you knew..." and he started flipping through the front pages of the book.
"NO! Don't!"
"I won't, I won't. "
Jessie said, "Yeah, she may have written some things about you too."
"Oh, well now I have to look!" And he flipped through again for a second.
He went back to writing Adam's message and then he held it out in front of me. The way he held it, I thought he was awaiting my approval, so...once again...I read what he wrote aloud
"Adam? ...Is that you?!" HA!
"Oh...I wasn't meaning to present it."
So we took the pictures and I said,
"Thank you for doing this. It's so great of you guys to come out and say hello to people who have waited around."
"Oh, it's no problem."

And that was it. We were done. I turned to Jessie and said, "I guess we have to leave now."
We started walking away and as we were about halfway to the parking lot we heard, "Have a safe roadtrip back, you guys!"
We looked back, and Bret had turned away from the autograph he was signing and was waving at us.
"Thank you!" was what I said.
Internally, it was more like "Uh...you can come too. If you want. We can wait for you to finish up here. Or...we don't HAVE to go. I mean...you asked if we were staying the night. So...we can all hang out. I don't mean to break your heart, and I won't if you just say the right word..."

Ahhhhhhh... ;D Bliss.
sally
Bowie's in space

by step0nmi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:58 am

i think this is my favorite part...so quick witted the guys are...and this just proves that Jemaine is evil...I love it! ;D
such a great write up! sounds like you guys had a lot of fun and a really memorable encounter!
step0nmi

by Katie » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:58 am

sally wrote:
Jemaine was standing over by the fence looking all shy and whatnot. So we walked up to him and said hi. I asked him to sign my journal for Adam.
"You can't give him your journal!"
"No. Obviously. I'm going to rip the page out. I may have said some awful things about him in there."
He stopped writing, looked at me, started grinning and said,
"Okay...now that's tempting...you knew..." and he started flipping through the front pages of the book.
"NO! Don't!"
"I won't, I won't. "

I saw this happen too! I was standing behind you guys. Jemaine was so cute, first being all concerned about your friend seeing your journal, and then pretending to read it himself! ;D

Katie
Totally Fine

Next

Return to I'm With The Band