Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Meeting the guys--photos!!

Have you ever met the Conchords? Share your stories here.

by chrissycubana » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:06 pm

what a great writeup!! you are so lucky to have had this amazing interaction with the guys - esp. bret! it's so sweet that he wished you a good road trip (and, like you, i would have been torn between taking off and sticking around or inviting them along!)

bret also forgot about a gift i handed to him... he said it was really hard to keep track of all the things people give them. it's good to know that he's said this before. i really felt like a dufus at the time.

i really wish i had thought of a more creative request for the guys. alas. maybe next time. glad to hear your long-lasting love of the guys was rewarded :)

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by sally » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Katie wrote:
sally wrote:
Jemaine was standing over by the fence looking all shy and whatnot. So we walked up to him and said hi. I asked him to sign my journal for Adam.
"You can't give him your journal!"
"No. Obviously. I'm going to rip the page out. I may have said some awful things about him in there."
He stopped writing, looked at me, started grinning and said,
"Okay...now that's tempting...you knew..." and he started flipping through the front pages of the book.
"NO! Don't!"
"I won't, I won't. "
Jessie said, "Yeah, she may have written some things about you too."
"Oh, well now I have to look!" And he flipped through again for a second.

I saw this happen too! I was standing behind you guys. Jemaine was so cute, first being all concerned about your friend seeing your journal, and then pretending to read it himself! ;D

HA! I didn't know there was anyone behind us at that point. It was so quiet. But, yeah, totally hilarious. And...is it wrong that I still haven't mailed this journal page to Adam? I just love reading what they wrote. I'm going to make a photo copy of it eventually.
*~I don't think that's right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.~*
sally
Bowie's in space

by ohjeez » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:43 pm

aww bret is so sweet! and jemaine...god what can i say that hasn't been said about him.

thanks for writing that up! you have a really good memory ;D
ohjeez
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by hellomyfriend » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:01 pm

sally wrote:Okay, here's how the whole thing went down. I didn't get tickets to the Chicago show because it sold out in some ridiculous amount of time. Which prompted me to write a "Man I love the Conchords and have loved them for ages and can't believe I got shot down" piece for Spunkybean.com. I ended up getting tickets to the Columbus show so, sadness was gone.

Anyway, a friend of mine met Dolly Parton (yes) at the Chicago Theatre stage door and said it was super easy, and I'd heard other stories about meeting the guys from the tour, so I printed my article and went with my roommate to the theatre. We got there at about 9 and stayed until the show let out.

It's been ages now, so you all know how things transpired outside the stage door in the alley and how long that line was. Bret made it over to us first, and I handed him the article I wrote in an envelope covered in drawings I'd done.
"Aw! A present!"
"Yeah, it's just something I wrote. It's for both of you."
"Great." Then he turned to the security guard and said, "Can you hold this for me?"
Bret went to shake my roommate, David's hand, but David had already extended his hand before and they ended up knocking wrists instead, which Bret turned into a joke. He started pretending to grab David's arm. He signed my magazine cover and I told him I didn't have tickets to the show because it sold out, but I would be driving to see them on Friday.
"In Columbus?"
"Yeah, in Ohio."
"In Columbus."
"Yes. Columbus...Ohio. It's about a six hour drive."
"Oh, wowzers! Really?"
"Yeah..."
"Well, we'll see you on Friday then."

David then told Bret he didn't have any paper and wanted to know if he would sign the back of his iPhone.

"Do you really want me to sign this?"
"Yeah."
I said, "I can't believe this, David. You're actually letting him sign your phone."
Bret said, "Yeah, you're going to toss this out tomorrow. You'll wake up like 'Ah! Why did I do that?!'" We all had a laugh, took photos. He said goodbye to us and left. When he got in the car to leave, the security guard ran over and handed him my article through the window.

Jemaine...I told the Jemaine story up a few posts...about how he signed my magazine cover while I read it aloud. When he signed David's phone he said, "Do you have a Flight of the Conchords iPhone?"
David said, "Um...no. I didn't know they had them."
So, after he signed his name, he wrote a huge FOTC across the back of it and gave David a look as if to say, "They do now!"

As we were leaving, I said, "Thank you so much."
He said, "Ah, you're welcome so much. Have a good night, guys."

AHHHH!

Okay...so Columbus. My friend Jessie and I are standing there like idiots not knowing what to do and Bret walks over to me and extends his hand.
"Hi, I'm Bret."
"I...yeah. Hi. I actually talked to you guys on Wednesday."
"Oh, in Chicago. I'm sorry. I was in a hurry that night. Were you in that really long line?"
"Yeah, I was. I handed you my article."
"You did? You'll have to remind me. We get a lot of stuff."
"It was in an envelope. There were drawings all over it. I think I may have drawn the loch ness monster..."
"Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah...the one with all the stuff on it!"
"Yeah. ..so, would you mind signing something for my friend Adam? "
"Yeah, sure."
"All I have is my journal...so...don't read my thoughts."
"I won't read your thoughts."
"Oh, and apparently I've done some figuring on the opposite page so, don't look at my math."
"I won't look at your math...This is to Adam?"
"Yes."
"What's your name?"
"Casey."
So he wrote: Adam, Casey asked me to sign this for you. And signed his name.

Anyway I thanked him and he said, "So you were at the Chicago show, you said? You guys are from there?"
"Yeah, we're from there. No, I didn't make the show..."
"Oh, right. It was sold out, right?"
"Yeah..."
"Wow...how long of a drive is that for you guys?"
"Six hours."
"Wow. You drove it today?"
"Yep. We got here just in time for the show."
"Oh, wow. So you guys are staying the night then." (He said this very matter-of-fact. As if he'd planned OUR tour.)
"Um...no."
"WHAT?! You're driving back tonight?"
"Well, Jessie has to work in the morning so..."
"Six hours here, a show, and six hours back?"
"Yeah. "
"You guys are really dedicated."
"Well, I've wanted to see you play for ages so..."
"Was the road trip...was it alright?"
"Yeah. We talked most of the way. It actually went by really quickly. We'll probably grab some food when we leave here and listen to music all the way back. We can entertain ourselves. I know...we're insane..."
"Nah. That sounds like fun!"

So...then we took those photos, including the googly eyed one. Then a couple other people asked us if we would take their photos with Bret. That was when I felt like I might be hogging him, so I broke away.

Jemaine was standing over by the fence looking all shy and whatnot. So we walked up to him and said hi. I asked him to sign my journal for Adam.
"You can't give him your journal!"
"No. Obviously. I'm going to rip the page out. I may have said some awful things about him in there."
"Okay...now that's tempting...you knew..." and he started flipping through the front pages of the book.
"NO! Don't!"
"I won't, I won't. "
He went back to writing Adam's message and then he held it out in front of me. The way he held it, I thought he was awaiting my approval, so...once again...I read what he wrote aloud
"Adam? ...Is that you?!" HA!
"Oh...I wasn't meaning to present it."
So we took the pictures and I said,
"Thank you for doing this. It's so great of you guys to come out and say hello to people who have waited around."
"Oh, it's no problem."

And that was it. We were done. I turned to Jessie and said, "I guess we have to leave now."
We started walking away and as we were about halfway to the parking lot we heard, "Have a safe roadtrip back, you guys!"
We looked back, and Bret had turned away from the autograph he was signing and was waving at us.
"Thank you!" was what I said.
Internally, it was more like "Uh...you can come too. If you want. We can wait for you to finish up here. Or...we don't HAVE to go. I mean...you asked if we were staying the night. So...we can all hang out. I don't mean to break your heart, and I won't if you just say the right word..."

Ahhhhhhh... ;D Bliss.

BRET IS SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTEEE!!!

Ack! I can't take it! Too much cuteness!
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by severine999 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:33 pm

sally wrote:"No. Obviously. I'm going to rip the page out. I may have said some awful things about him in there."
"NO! Don't!"
"I won't, I won't. "

Oh, he is *so* bad!!! And I can just picture the look he gave you too. Mmmm.... Thanks for posting this!!!
severine999

by lixxx » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:17 am

aww. thats such a great story! having bret wishing you guys a safe trip must have given you a mind explosion. it makes you guys sound like you guys were old friends. awww. :D
lixxx
Banana Balls

by jj » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:19 am

[quote author=sally board=talk thread=841 post=17054 time=1215830537]So I didn't do this ages ago when I should have, but here are the pics from when I met the boys in Chicago and Columbus...per Chrissy's request ;)

Chicago--Jemaine gives good face.
[image]

Awesome story! Makes me wish I was there *sadsigh*

Jemaine really does look like he has claimed you as his own.

Even after hours of car travel, you look very cute! I would've been puffy faced, one eye partially closed, hair sticking out in 7 directions.

I pretty much look like that after 30 minutes on a bus. ugh
jj
I'm making a lasagne... for one

by SheWolf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Jemaine looking shy and whatnot? That's awesome. Great story Sally. I love that Bret is always so doe eyed and photogenic in fan pix and Jem looks like a big huggalicious bear compared to the women.
SheWolf
Let's boom the boom

by earthintruder » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:20 am

Oh, wow... I want to meet them so bad now! I'm jealous!
earthintruder
The day time of the night

by rokkers » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:22 am

Don't worry, I'm jealous too. Everybody always talks about how amazing they are and how much more I'll love them when I meet them..

I KNOW THAT GUYS (*cough*Nikki, Irene *cough*). :(
rokkers
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by earthintruder » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:39 pm

I just don't know when I'll be able to. As far as I can tell, they don't come anywhere near me, so I'll probably have to fly. But my dad works for AirTran, and occasionaly we can get a free flight, so I may be able to swing that one day...
earthintruder
The day time of the night

Previous

Return to I'm With The Band