Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Wow, another Columbus story :)

Have you ever met the Conchords? Share your stories here.

by mandabear47 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:54 pm

I won't repost anything I've already read, and this may be disjointed, but to add to details for those (like me) who like to know EVERYTHING, here goes...
I was fourth row center, but there were empty seats directly in my line of Jemaine-sight which was perfect, of course! The thing about the American government was this:
J: Like war.
B: Yis, war.
J: What is it good for?
B: Absolutely nothing.
J: Except for making money for the American government...
I personally giggled, but the mixed reaction did lead to Jemaine yelling "Yeah that's right, I'll take on the American government!....I'll be dead tomorrow" Hehe, love him. Later, Bret joined in by talking about gas prices in the same way. Way to back up your buddy, Bret!
Another funny moment was Bret pretending to be electrocuted and Jemaine saying sarcastically, "This is what it's like being on tour with Bret, all the time with the jokes! The other day he pretended to fall...but he didn't really fall, he was just pretending! *fake laugh*"
Also, the dance at the end of Boom was a highlight with choreographed synchronized butt-shaking to die for. At one pt. Bret ran through the entire crowd with the keytar and said that he was "making love to women in the audience with my music". Bret did have a potty mouth last night, but it just struck me as adorable. He yelled out "'uck you" to the audience and Jemaine said "Quit cursing at the audience, Bret." then realizing that the crowd was cheering said, "Wow, maybe keep doing it, they seem to like you cursing at them, Bret!" implying that we were masochistic : ).
When they got a 'boooo' for saying they were only singing one more song, Bret said "Hey, lets all boo at one time so the people in the back think the show's going really poorly! *turning the mic to the crowd* 1, 2, 3, booooooooooo!" The audience response was so strong Jemaine said, "Now do it like you're ghosts!" So we did. Then Jemaine, "Now do it like you're ghosts with really deep voices!" Once again, we obliged. From where I was I saw Jemaine lean over to Bret and say, "How bout we sing Sellotape and ask them to sing along?" to which Bret agreed. And we did a hell of a job if I do say so myself. They seemed genuinely surprised and pleased that an entire arena full of people were clapping and singing, 'Brown paper, white paper...' : ) I felt the love!
I think it was mentioned before, but one of the highlights was being in the "first ten rows pregnant", then getting "Congratulations, bitches!" Hahahaha I about died.
Hmmm, it's so much to try to remember, but I'll post more as it comes back to me!

After the show I got an opportunity to meet the guys and I have to say that they were incredibly nice and generous with their time. They took the time to ask my name and where I was from. Jemaine made my night by saying, "Oh, it's you! I saw you up near the front from the stage. Yeah, I could see you! I love your shirt!" *sigh* : ) I was sort of in a daze when talking to both of them, so I'm having trouble remembering details, I do know that I got a really great hug though *sigh again*. I concur with the folks posting about Bret being good about pictures. He insisted that we take three 'just in case'. Jemaine after the first picture asked how I wanted him to pose (I guess he's used to that) and I said 'I don't know, how do you usually pose??' He made a few faces at me and I said, 'Oh I like that one, you look really tough!' So he told me to pose like that too and we ended up with a hilarious gangster-looking picture. I apologized for my ridiculous camera (a disposable one as I forgot my digital in NC!) and he said "Oh don't worry, that's the same kind I use!" What a sweetheart : ).

I'm sure I'll remember more later...right now I'm still flying high on the Conchords love!

mandabear47
I'm making a lasagne... for one

by maile » Sat May 17, 2008 10:59 pm

great recap!!! lol im so glad you posted the electrocution and cello tape and everything!!! hahahaha made me feel like i was still there!!! hope to see your pics they sound amazing!!!!
maile
Lost but happy at sea

by alexandriaj22 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:01 pm

aww sounds like a wonderful show! loads of energy from the guys, eh? man, i wish our crowd would've gotten into the songs like that, i like the rowdy Ohio set better i think ;)
alexandriaj22
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

by Amily » Sat May 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Thanks for the story manda!! I'm happy that you had such a wonderful night.. again like I've said before and which I'll probably say again.. they're so nice and sweet. I love them more and more with every story I hear. How can it be possible for two men to be so flippin amazing?!?!

Looking forward to seeing your pics if you decide to post them in here. :)

Oh and welcome to the board! We're glad to have you. :D
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by boomqueen » Sat May 17, 2008 11:42 pm

Awesome story manda! I'm glad you added more details...us flighties love details lol.

Welcome to the board! I'm Jessica...your friendly neighborhood admin! :)

PS...we'll take scanned photos...or even photos of your photos lol
boomqueen
You don't have to be a prostitute

by step0nmi » Sun May 18, 2008 10:05 am

oh wow! ANOTHER!!! cool! I laughed all throughout your story! Great recap! I love the play by plays! my husband helped me do the same! I just looove the part where Jem is asking everyone to sound like ghosts...he is HILARIOUS!!!

Thanks for the close encounter of the 3rd kind! LOL j/k....so, where are those photos!? ;) lol
step0nmi

by Katie » Sun May 18, 2008 11:24 am

YAY!!! More details! I agree with Maile- it's like being there again. How amazing that Jemaine spotted you from the stage and remembered you! If you don't mind my asking, what shirt were you wearing?

I think Bret's "F you" to the audience was when they were talking about being a band and not a duo. It was something like, "Even a one-man band gets to be a band, so why can't two people be a band? F*** you- we're a band." I thought it was cute too! And how could I forget the booing? And the keytar solo?! It was during the new "Freaky" song, and Bret jumped off the stage right in front of me! I was hoping he would stick around for a second, but he immediately ran to my left and started making his way through the audience. He spent a long time running around out there, and was adorably out of breath when he got back on stage. Oh, and the "first ten rows pregnant" was so great- Jemaine really emphasized the TEN, like he was giving us a bonus! lol. And the "Congratulations, Bitches!" got a huge cheer...so awesome. I think there is a video of that somewhere. I have to go find it and watch it again now!

I love your account of meeting the guys too! How can they be so incredible? sigh. I can't wait to see what else you remember later, and I'm adding my hope that you can post your photos at some point! ;D
Katie
Totally Fine

by severine999 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks for sharing this, manda!! Loved all the details; it was almost like I was there! Sounds like there was a good crowd that night.

...sigh...and could these guys BE any more dreamy?? The more I know about them, the deeper I'm falling.....
severine999

by sharona65 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:32 pm

severine999 wrote:...sigh...and could these guys BE any more dreamy?? The more I know about them, the deeper I'm falling.....

ditto that ange!
sharona65

by mandabear47 » Sun May 18, 2008 5:25 pm

Hey all, thanks for all the nice responses! You are all so welcoming! I would love to post pics, but I'm not sure how...sorry I'm new to this whole message board thing :-[

Anyone with tips, just let me know and I'll get them up asap!
mandabear47

by Amily » Mon May 19, 2008 1:22 am

Manda... have you scanned the pics yet?

If so I'd be happy to help you get them online... just let me know. :)
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by mandabear47 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Amily, I have the pictures scanned and saved to my computer ready to go ;D ...now I just need help getting them up! Thanks!
mandabear47

by Amily » Mon May 19, 2008 1:53 pm

Heehee okay... do you have a photobucket or flickr account already set up?
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by mandabear47 » Mon May 19, 2008 2:36 pm

I just set up a photobucket account and am beginning to upload the photos. Should have it done soon and I'll update you :)
mandabear47

by Amily » Mon May 19, 2008 2:41 pm

Sounds good... I'll be here. :)
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

Next

Return to I'm With The Band