Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Another Columbus story!

Have you ever met the Conchords? Share your stories here.

by Katie » Sat May 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Hey everybody! I'm not sure if I should have posted this in Maile's thread or started my own, so if I did the wrong thing I apologize and hope it's not a pain to correct my mistake! :)

I was at the Columbus show too, and unfortunately I didn't know any other flighties were there, so Maile and I never met in person. :-/ But I did meet two people I think you all might have heard of!

I went to the early show in DC last Friday while on vacation visiting my family. I was so happy I got to see the show, but the guys didn't have time to come out until after the later show, so I didn't get to meet them. So just this past Wednesday I decided to come to the Columbus show, a 13-hour drive from where I live. I bought two tickets without even knowing if anyone could go with me on such short notice, but luckily my cousin (who is more like a little brother) was able to. So off we went! We got on the road at about 4:30am, and were in our seats about 10 minutes before the show started.

We were in the front row of the floor section just a little to the left of Jemaine. What a surreal experience! The guys seemed to really be having fun. As Maile said, there were a lot of obnoxious shouters in the crowd, but Bret and Jemaine were WAY more gracious about it than I was being in my head! I was thinking some pretty mean thoughts, I tell you. >:( They kind of had no choice but to play Albi, or else those girls would have never shut up! It was a tough call for them- reward bad behavior or try to talk over them all night?

Maile's recap of the show is great, so I won't repeat everything she covered. There are a few bits I remember that I don't think she has mentioned already: Jemaine did a sexy little omnichord solo at the end of the Ex-Girlfriend song. They extended the "Robo Boogie" part at the end of Bowie, and they kept looking over at each other and trying not to laugh as it went on and on. Somehow they still managed to synchronize the ending perfectly. That was adorable. Jemaine also held the note on the word "time" for quite a while at the end of Most Beautiful Girl in the Room. During the "Issues" banter, Jemaine said something about the US Government. I can't remember the details, but it was just a quick mention. Some of the audience kind of groaned, and he said, "Oh? Oh, I'll take on the US Government!" and then after a pause he added, "I'll be dead tomorrow." They played Cellotape as the last song before the encore, and asked everyone to sing along to the chorus. I loved that!

After the show my cousin and I circled the building looking for where the guys might come out. We were trying to keep our eyes out for any kind of crowds assembling. We also met the hair helmet guy! We walked with him and his group to the area where everyone eventually gathered. Unfortunately the hair helmet group left a few minutes before the guys came out. :-/

So we met Bret first, and he was so sweet! I introduced myself, and he asked me if my name (Katie) was spelled with an ie. As he signed my cd case, I told him that we had driven from Florida, and he said, "That's crazy! Thanks for coming all that way!" When he finished signing my cd, he showed it to me and had to give me a little explanation. He had written, "I miss you already", but the A and L ran together, so it looked like it said "dready". So he added "(already not dready)", with a little arrow pointing to it. Then He posed for a photo in between my cousin and I. As he was signing my cousin's stuff I looked at the photo and commented to my cousin that I looked scared in the photo. It was not very pretty. Bret must have heard me, because then he quietly said, "Are you happy with the photo? Do you want to do another one?" I tried to answer him, but I don't think any coherent words were coming out, so he just grabbed me, put both of his arms around me and pointed me towards the camera! Here's the photo:
[image]
Look at that face! I don't think we said much more after that. We just thanked him and meandered over to where Jemaine was.

So when Jemaine approached me and took my cd cover I said, "Hi Jemaine, I'm Katie". He gestured with the cover on which Bret had obviously already written my name, and said with a little smirk, "I can see that." Quite the genius I am. ;) I asked him if he had a Sharpie and he held one up. Again, I am impressing the hell out of him so far. He read Bret's message and said, "And what shall I write?" I had no idea, so I said, "It's OK, you can just sign your name if you want." He said something like, "Well, I have about four different things that I keep writing over and over, but..." I told him that sounded fine to me, because I hadn't seen what he'd written to anyone else. He said, "Ah, OK, so I can recycle one for you." As he was signing I told him that we'd driven from Florida, and he asked how long it took. We told him about 13 hours, and he asked where our seats had been. I told him we had been in the front row, and he said, "Oh, that's good. That was a big crowd." So then he showed me the cd case, and said, "I've just written 'I love you.'"
[image]
Ha! Fine with me! I thanked him and then asked if he'd mind taking a photo. He kind of chuckled and said, "No, I don't mind at all." I said, "I know, how many times do you get asked that, right?" I think he understood what I meant- obviously in that sort of situation they expect people to want a photo, but everyone alway politely asks "do you mind" anyway. He was putting his arm around me for the photo and he looked down at me and said, "Every single person asks me that." LOL...So as far as I could tell the photo was going to be the standard arm-around-the-shoulder deal, but right as my cousin pressed the shutter Jemaine shot his other arm up in front of us with his hand out. I looked at him and was like, "What did you do that for?" and he said, "No, just look, it'll be good." So he looked at the photo with me, and...well here it is:
[image]
His hand hadn't quite made it into the frame. I couldn't figure out what he was going for in the picture. I think I kind of grabbed his arm a little and said, "Jemaine, you look angry!" (By the way, it was kind of unexpectedly thrilling to call him by his name for some reason!) He said, "I was making it look like we'd just been discovered having an intimate moment!" LOL...OK! In the magical imaginary world where Jemaine and I have intimate moments, I would hope that if a photographer were to discover us I wouldn't turn towards the camera and smile! To me it looks more like he's my angry bodyguard shielding me from the throngs of reporters and paparazzi, but either way it's a hilarious photo, right? It just takes some explanation. ;)

The guys were great about making sure they had gotten to everyone before leaving. They were amazing. That's pretty much all I can remember. It was an insane idea to drive 26 hours round-trip when we only spent about 10 hours actually in Columbus, but getting to meet the guys was absolutely worth it. I would do it again, but I need to sleep a little bit first. :P

Katie
Totally Fine

by mistysquarepants » Sat May 17, 2008 10:01 pm

awwww jem looks so cute!!
mistysquarepants
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by maile » Sat May 17, 2008 10:08 pm

your pics are so freakin awesome! LMAO jemaine's face is priceless!! & thanks for covering the parts i forgot- totally relived it!!!
maile
Lost but happy at sea

by alexandriaj22 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:13 pm

the columbus meeting sounds like maybe the most relaxed they've been with fans after the show. maybe because it was the last show before their little break, but wow you guys that sounds amazing and hte pictures are gorgeous
alexandriaj22
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

by sharona65 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:19 pm

holy hell katie!! you got your tickets 2 days before and got the front row?!?! no freakin way!!!!
sharona65

by Katie » Sat May 17, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks, y'all! :) I have a few pics and videos from the show too. I can add the photos to the Columbus show thread. I didn't use flash, but they turned out pretty good I think. I haven't uploaded the videos anywhere yet. For some reason at least where I was sitting, nobody was being stopped from taking photos or video. For most of the videos I just set the camera on my knee and made sure they were still in the frame every once in a while. Ooh, I just remembered I have a close up clip of Jemaine doing the snake hips thing! You can clearly hear me exclaim, "Oh My God" in it. LOL I've never put video up anywhere, but I'll figure it out tomorrow. I've had a total of 3 hours of sleep in the past 3 days, and I think I'm starting to hallucinate! I've been running on pure adrenaline and nervous energy, and now that it's over I'm crashing!
Katie
Totally Fine

by alexandriaj22 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:28 pm

KATIE I DEMAND YOU GET SLEEP lol
because post-Conchord depression sets in soon, and it's better to be well-rested and of stable mind when it hits. trust us, it's happened to every Flighty that's met them so far.
get to sleepin :P
alexandriaj22
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

by ohjeez » Sat May 17, 2008 10:32 pm

that sounds adorable! you are super dedicated to drive 13 hours to see them! but i'm sure it was worth it :)

wait... how long did you have to wait for them to come out?
ohjeez
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by Katie » Sat May 17, 2008 10:36 pm

Aww, thanks Alex. I just want to add the show photos to the other thread and then I'll go to sleep. It might hurt too much to look at them tomorrow in the harsh light of a Bret and Jemaine free day. :'(

By the way, I love your quote! If someone had told me five years ago that I would one day become...excited by the mere uttering of the word goat, I would have called them crazy. But look at us now! I wouldn't want it any other way. ;D

(I just edited this to remove some smilies. I think I need to use them a little more sparingly. And it is really hard not to put another smiley here, but I will resist.)
Katie
Totally Fine

by Katie » Sat May 17, 2008 10:38 pm

I think we waited for about an hour and a half? It didn't seem like long. After reading the recaps from the other shows, I had complete faith that they would find us and come to us. :)
Katie
Totally Fine

by sharona65 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:41 pm

sorry i'm being pushy katie, but did you read my question about how you managed to snag front row seats only 2 days before the show?....i'm just ultra curious about this
sharona65

by Katie » Sat May 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Sorry sharona65, I missed it at first. Well, I went to Ticketmaster and there were some seats available, but none on the floor. Then I went to TicketsNow. I think that might be frowned upon, so I'm a bit scared to mention it, but that is how I got them. I really don't like the idea of someone profiting from the band's hard work. The prices were not a great deal higher than face value, but still that's money that won't go to the guys. But I guess my desire to see them won out, right or wrong. There were actually two empty seats right next to us as well, which we thought was odd.
Katie
Totally Fine

by sharona65 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:01 pm

omg!! i'm grrrrring at this!! not at you katie for getting your tix that way, but that there were 2 empty seats next to you.....that my happy ass could have been sitting in!!!

btw, i'm sin/cin/cindy....whichever you prefer, it's just easier to type!! nice to formally meet you! ;D
sharona65

by alexandriaj22 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:05 pm

aw katie use the smiles as much as you want! i use them all the time, sometimes a little excessively lol

lovely pictures by the way!
alexandriaj22
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

by Katie » Sat May 17, 2008 11:09 pm

Nice to meet you too! I have difficulty making decisions when presented with a lot of choices, so this is going to be a challenge. :) I know what you mean about the empty seats. What a waste.
Katie
Totally Fine

Next

Return to I'm With The Band