Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

FotC and Kristen Schaal in Atlanta (4-11-09)

Have you ever met the Conchords? Share your stories here.

by earthintruder » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Okay... My best friend Melissa was supposed to go with me, but she had to work at stupid Great Clips that day, so my mom came with me. It was the Fabulous Fox Theatre, where I saw Bjork a year and a half ago, and I couldn't wait.

When we got to the venue, we had to wait around for about 45 minutes for the doors to open because I'm a paranoid idiot and have a psychotic need to be really, really, REALLY early for everything.

First thing, I went to the merch table and got myself a shirt and a poster. Then I decided, after using the bathroom, to buy my friend Melissa a shirt, but a different one. And then we went to our seats. Mom and I had a very nice conversation with the girl in an adjacent seat, mostly about the HBO poster contest. I remembered her design and told her I thought it was cool.

When Kristen came out, everything went dark, and Jemaine's voice rang out over the theatre; "You are the luckiest audience there ever was. When we said who we wanted to open up for us, they all said, 'Oh, you can't get her, she's too expensive! I thought she died sometime in the 1920's!' But we got her. Please welcome... Kristen Schaal!" And then Kristen practically skipped out, wearing a white shirt and the most fantastic pair of sparkly gold shorts. She talked about how they told her that the theatre was supposed to look Egyptian, and he made her feel like she was performing for a bunch of ancient Egyptians, taking the night off, thinking maybe there was more to life than building pyramids for some pharoah. "Seriously, f*ck the pharoah!" She was awesome.

So Kristen introduced "the greatest duo ever", and then she skipped away and everything went black again. Strobe lights flashed, bass pounded, and then... "Too many dicks on the dance floor!" Ironic that my mom was with me to hear just about every dirty joke in their arsenal, right?

They made some jokes about being amongst the merpeople of "the lost city of Atlanta", driving around in their submarine looking for us, et cetera. Very cute. The only song I hadn't heard was "Stana", which I don't know if that was a new one or just a song I hadn't ever heard before but it was great. I was so excited that they played "Jenny" because it's one of their most fun live songs, and Jemaine, during "Albi", almost began singing in the wrong voice a couple of times, they stepped on each other's parts, but they made it work.

Nigel became part of the show. There was even an audience member that had a sign that said, "F*ck the Conchords, I'm here for Nigel".

Someone yelled out "SEASON THREE!!!" during the dialogue part, so they said, "Okay, we'll do season three right here for you guys." And then they proceeded to exercise their Murray impressions. I couldn't tell whose was better, they were both good.

During the final encore, "Sello Tape", Bret jumped off the stage and into the audience. A moment later, Jemaine followed suit, and then the song was suddenly over. I saw Jem get back on the stage but I hadn't noticed if Bret got back up so for a second I thought, "Wait, what happened to him?" But he was okay, the audience didn't steal him.

I wasn't sure where the meet and greet would be, if there was one at all, but my mom and I happened to turn down the right corner and saw all the people waiting. So we joined them, and then I got to listen to my mom go on and on about how cold it was because she's a twig with low blood pressure. For TWO HOURS. Fun.

Finally, Kristen and Nigel were the first to walk out, and then Bret and Jemaine. There were metal partitions so we couldn't apporach them, we just sort of waited in line until we got up there. Bret was the first one I got to, and I had a little sign that said "Hello Melissa" that I'd made for them to sign in my hands. Bret said "Oh, what's this?"
"Oh, uh... I made this cos my friend couldn't be here." I handed it to him and he signed it, I took my picture, and went on. It wasn't until I was waiting to see Jemaine that I realised I hadn't gotten my own autograph, so I obviously had to go back. But not before seeing Jem. I was pressed hard against the metal rail by other people trying to force their way past, but I wouldn't let them. I couldn't help but stare at him, and I think I freaked him out cos I was staring, thinking, "OhmyGodohmyGodohmyGodthereheis..." He asked my name when he got to me, and I said "Sarah with an h." And he gave me this look like, "I know how to spell your name." He wrote "To Sarah- This is your poster. Good luck with it. Jemaine." My first picture was kind of weird cos my mom took it while he was talking, so I got another one, thanked him breathlessly, and then went back to the other side. Kristen was walking around, signing posters, so I went up to her, took a picture, and handed her my poster. She kind of laughed and said, "Oh, look, Jemaine, like, wrote you a love poem!"

Oh, how I wish that's what it was.

I went back over to where Bret was, and he was talking to some dude so I had to wait. Then I said, "I... I forgot to get my poster signed..." So he signed my poster for me, and thus my night was complete.

All in all, I think that it was a great show in a great venue and I hope to God that they come back, but the crowd was really disrespectful sometimes and I was afraid of that. I am so happy I got the opportunity to be in their presence, and words can't describe how wonderful it was to meet them and get a hug from each of them and take pictures so I can say, "I was there." it still feels like I dreamed it, even though I can still remember the way my heart stopped when Bret looked me in the eyes and smiled (yes, you read that right, Nikki!) and the way Jemaine's jacket felt under my hands when I wrapped my arms around him. It was more vivid than any of my dreams where I met them but it somehow doesn't feel any more real, even though it actually happened.

Pictures coming next weekend. My dad's computer won't let me do it for some reason.
earthintruder
The day time of the night

by hellomyfriend » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:22 pm

earthintruder wrote:... it still feels like I dreamed it, even though I can still remember the way my heart stopped when Bret looked me in the eyes and smiled (yes, you read that right, Nikki!) ...

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

It's like you read my mind. [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by earthintruder » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:23 pm

Hey, even I can admit that you don't look Mr. Bret McKenzie in the eyes and not fall in love for a second.
earthintruder

by step0nmi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:24 pm

SARAH! [image] what a lovely review! I felt like I was THERE! ;D
step0nmi

by Venus » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks for sharing your account! So glad you had a great time :D

earthintruder wrote:

All in all, I think that it was a great show in a great venue and I hope to God that they come back, but the crowd was really disrespectful sometimes and I was afraid of that. I am so happy I got the opportunity to be in their presence, and words can't describe how wonderful it was to meet them and get a hug from each of them and take pictures so I can say, "I was there." it still feels like I dreamed it, even though I can still remember the way my heart stopped when Bret looked me in the eyes and smiled (yes, you read that right, Nikki!) and the way Jemaine's jacket felt under my hands when I wrapped my arms around him. It was more vivid than any of my dreams where I met them but it somehow doesn't feel any more real, even though it actually happened.

Aww I love that part! :)
#heart# Image #heart#
Venus

by blondesnotbombs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:30 pm

earthintruder wrote:
Nigel became part of the show. There was even an audience member that had a sign that said, "F*ck the Conchords, I'm here for Nigel".

It actually said "Forget the Conchords, I am here for Nigel." Sorry to nitpick, but "F*ck the Conchords" sounds so harsh.

Glad you had a good time. ;D
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by hellomyfriend » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:35 pm

blondesnotbombs wrote:
earthintruder wrote:

It actually said "Forget the Conchords, I am here for Nigel." Sorry to nitpick, but "F*ck the Conchords" sounds so harsh.

Lemme guess ... someone you know? [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by earthintruder » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 pm

blondesnotbombs wrote:
earthintruder wrote:

That's right! Oh, well, it was still a word that started with "f".
earthintruder

by earthintruder » Wed May 13, 2009 10:49 pm

Finally, I've been able to get my pictures on this computer.

[image]
Kristen in her awesome gold shorts. This is the only one that didn't completely lose her face.

[image]
"Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor". It was great as an opener.

[image]
A very blurry shot of Nigel and the guys. Sorry, my camera's a piece of crap.

[image]
"Sugalumps". This was an interesting moment. It looked way better in person...

[image]
Part of me, and Bret signing the little poster I made for my friend Melissa. And Nigel in the background.

[image]
He's such a sweetie. And he was obviously so tired he could've gone to sleep right on the pavement.

[image]
Jemaine signing my poster.

[image]
Mom took this while he was talking, so...

[image]
... I got another one. Jem looks smokin hot but I look like I just took a massive bong hit or something. And that red eye is terrible.

[image]
"Oh, Jemaine, like, wrote you a love poem!"

[image]
And last but not least, me with Kristin.
earthintruder

Return to I'm With The Band