Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

LA Amoeba April 24 '08...

Have you ever met the Conchords? Share your stories here.

by skillzclemaine » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:06 pm

the best day of my life ;D

ok so i'll assume that you all saw the video that amoeba posted. i should've been in that video but my response to the camera guy was lame. he simply asked me, "so what are you gonna tell the guys? everyone is going to say that they love them." and i didn't know what to answer and all i remember was fumbling on my words and so i'm sure they looked at it and said "cut the boring girl out"

but ok here it goes :) you're insane if you read all this nonsense :D

it was a thursday so i had school. fast forward through the school day in which my friends and i didn't even know if we could go. i went with a friend that loves bret and a friend that didn't know who they were but is lovely enough to drive her friends around.

we got to amoeba and didn't know where to park. we ended up parking at the jack in the box across the street. we were freaked out that she was going to get a ticket. we got in line and we were afraid that we weren't going to get in but then we finally got our wristbands that signified that we would.

we were pretty far from the stage. if you know the layout of the la amoeba, we were near world music. they played their show and it was time for the meet and greet. they started the line near world music which was awesome because i had to get home soon.

my driver friend went to check on her car while my bretero friend & i waited in line. i had my bust magazine for them to sign and she didn't have anything. luckily, a girl behind us drew the guys a picture and she gave my friend a piece. she actually gave us two...it's quite a long story. unnecessary and it would make this post even longer.

so we weren't allowed pictures with the guys :( i took out my phone when i was like 10 ft away and tried to sneak a photo of them to no avail. i was able to snag a pic of the red keytair and the casio dg-20. so there was an amoeba lady just before you got to the guys and she had post-its so she would write down your name if you wanted them to sign something to you. i don't really like my name so i told her to write 'priskilla.' we were behind a girl and she was waiting for bret. jemaine, the amazing man he is, asked me if i wanted to go over to him. (my heart beats faster just thinking about it) he looks at the post-it and i think with his nz accent, can he say my name? and so he says "priskilla?" and i say "yeah, like pro.skillz... whatever..." and he says "can i call you skillz?" (and i'm thinking, "honey, you can call me whatever you want!!") but what i stupidly blurt out is, "fo sho!" i don't even use that, i swear!! i might use "fosheez" but...man, not fosho. he repeated my stupid response and laughed. i didn't say much after that...i didn't ask for a hug or anything and i totally regret it. i'm hoping i'll see them again and get another chance :-[ he wrote "to skillz...(that's what i call you) jemaine" ;D

so bret...i hate to admit it, because it really didn't break my heart to see, but bret didn't seem very enthused. he was talking on his iphone and i guess i understand that he's a business man and it was...late? maybe it was just an off day...he looked at what jemaine wrote and scrambled to think of something to write. then he writes "hey skillz," then jemaine interjects with "hey, that's what i call her." i guess bret missed the post-it i strategically placed on the mag. he scrambles some more and writes "you got the skillz to pay the bills." i probably should have talked more...get some ideas flowing...if you ever meet me, i'm incredibly awkward and shy at first.

jemaine drew a picture of himself on my friend's sheet of paper and bret wrote "brit, you got it goin' on" obviously, her name is brittany haha

so...we went to some friends in line. they were pretty far from the guys and we had to go home. no ticket... :)

i tried to get tickets to the la orpheum gig...i guess i don't know any good strategies to buy tickets :/ help? :P

i don't believe anyone would read this. thanks if you did; any snippet of it.
skillzclemaine
There's nothin' wrong

by gezyka » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:17 pm

skillzclemaine wrote:
so we weren't allowed pictures with the guys :( i took out my phone when i was like 10 ft away and tried to sneak a photo of them to no avail. i was able to snag a pic of the red keytair and the casio dg-20. so there was an amoeba lady just before you got to the guys and she had post-its so she would write down your name if you wanted them to sign something to you. i don't really like my name so i told her to write 'priskilla.' we were behind a girl and she was waiting for bret. jemaine, the amazing man he is, asked me if i wanted to go over to him. (my heart beats faster just thinking about it) he looks at the post-it and i think with his nz accent, can he say my name? and so he says "priskilla?" and i say "yeah, like pro.skillz... whatever..." and he says "can i call you skillz?" (and i'm thinking, "honey, you can call me whatever you want!!") but what i stupidly blurt out is, "fo sho!" i don't even use that, i swear!! i might use "fosheez" but...man, not fosho. he repeated my stupid response and laughed. i didn't say much after that...i didn't ask for a hug or anything and i totally regret it. i'm hoping i'll see them again and get another chance :-[ he wrote "to skillz...(that's what i call you) jemaine" ;D

Aww, I love this part!!!

Thanks for posting this...I've never been to one of their shows :( , so I live vicariously through others' experiences. :P
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by skillzclemaine » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:42 pm

haha thanx for replying! you're like my message board best friend!! :D
skillzclemaine
There's nothin' wrong

by gezyka » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:59 am

skillzclemaine wrote:haha thanx for replying! you're like my message board best friend!! :D

hehe, aww! ;D
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by chickenkarma » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:22 am

Jemaine is adorable.

Don't feel bad I have made big fool every time that I have met the guys. I still don't know what they think of me. (I try not the think about it too much)

Very cute story I think Jemaine found the "Fo sho" bit very cute. He liked you. You lucky girl you! ^3^
chickenkarma
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by skillzclemaine » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:04 pm

aw yees, i love jemaine. and as for the bret part, i try to forget about the slight aloofness. i still love him. and singing yoshimi in the amoeba vid...i can't even explain the rush of joy :D
skillzclemaine
There's nothin' wrong

by hellomyfriend » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:52 am

Bret. :'( :'( :'(

ADD: Bret is the moody one. The malfunctioning equipment probably put him off. With Bret, it's difficult to know what to expect. He could be bouncing from ceilings or damned near silent. Jem's more consistent.
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by chrissycubana » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:00 pm

skillz, this is priceless! you are so darn lucky to have had such a fabulous response from jemaine! it's too bad about bret, but hey, it sounds like you were able to make him feel a bit sheepish, and that's something too :D

i wish i had been able to make it to the amoeba show - but it makes me happy that others had such great experiences with the guys.

i hope you're enjoying the board so far!!

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by lixxx » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:44 am

Yay! another fellow amoeba flighty!
i was there too. 1st in line 8-)

i, obviously, was very close (im actually in the video). but i had a pair of friends who were in the world music section as well. they said bret looked dead too when they got to him. long day. long line.

i loved that you said "fosho!" hahaha! thats soo cool!
you made them laugh. :D
thats always great!!!!

so are u an l.a. flighty as well or did you come from far for the show?

as for advice on getting tickets for a soldout show, just show up super early on the day of the concert. no matter what. there are always at least one part of tickets left over at a soldout concert.
when talene and i went to see fotc in SF, we went without tickets in hope of getting them. we got there at about 2. the show was at 7. so we waited at the box office. we were 4th in line and we got tickets! soldout show and we got tickets!!!
so just go with high hopes and a lot of time to waste waiting in line. and we actually got them cheaper than if we ordered them online or at a ticketmaster office.
if you show up and there is already a line of people waiting to buy tickets of 15+. you probably will most likely not get tickets. but if its 5 or less. you most likely will.
trust me. the people will try and convince you that you wont get tickets but they are just trying to thin out the crowd.
lixxx
Banana Balls

by skillzclemaine » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:08 pm

first is line!? nice! were you right at the foot of the stage? where are you in the video?

yes, i am an l.a. flighty haha i live in the scv but, eeh, that's close enough

and thanks so much for the advice. i hope they will still tour and i will try it out :D
skillzclemaine
There's nothin' wrong

Return to I'm With The Band