Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Taika-directed commercials

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:35 am

I've decided to create a new thread just with his commercials as it is a bit different kind of thing than short films.
- Sylwia (emira)

Thread contents chronologically:
Commercials - Friends Reunited and Pot Noodle
Sour Patch Kids Candy - World Gone Sour (The Lost Kids) (2011)
Cadbury Dairy Milk - Simply The Best (2011)
Cadbury Wispa Gold - Gold (2011)
NBC Super Bowl Brotherhood of Man (2012)
Steinlager Pure (2012)
Old Navy (2012)
Australia Day 2013: Lambnesia
Tesco: Borg (2013)
Sky: Broadband (2013)
Samsung: State of The -Ation (2013)
Optimum: MIDWULS (2013)
Māori Television: Blazed (2013)
Carlton Dry: #HelloBeer

Friends Reunited:

gezyka wrote:He also directed this commercial for Friends Reunited:

Pot Noodle:

Amily wrote:A couple more commercials directed by Taika. :)

Lyrics and other random things:
Spoiler: show
Lyrics for the Pot Noodle rap from the youtube comments:

Lick It!
I'm makin' vegetarian moussaka
With cheese from Osaka
Bought some herbs from the market
In a wikka wikka basket
Mixing sugar and starches
With my JUICY PE-ACHES
SNAP
Simmer down with a cinnamon stick
DEGLAZE
Now I'm slicin' and dicin' with my Tungsten BLADE
Got dolphin-friendly sea bass that I got FIL-AYED
From the free-range orphans of BELGRADE
Only 3 MORE HOURS, TILL IT'S MADE!

And one of the comments from the Pot Noodle ballad:

anyone else noticed they cut the advert short on tv now? as soon as he says "they came in a pot" i hate when dickhead middle aged morons complain about everything offends them on tv. Well to all those nagging old 'ucking dickheads....dont watch your tv 'uck off ruining it for everyone else who isnt a pussy!
(GIVE A THUMBS UP IF YOU AGREE PC IS OTT)

Also, this is a related video ("THIS IS THE REMIX!!!"):

And here's another Taika-directed Pot Noodle commercial:

gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by emira » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:17 am

Sour Patch Kids Candy - World Gone Sour (The Lost Kids), the song by Method Man ;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7uhVtpI5I[/youtube]
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:46 pm

Taika Waititi directs a Cadbury-funded short to support UK athletes in the (loooong) run-up to the London 2012 Olympics. And a damn fine job of it he does too.

source

Simply The Best

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc7xddsG-yw[/youtube]

You've sung to Chris Tomlinson and now you're singing to Rebecca Adlington and underwater no less! We're excited to reveal the second track in our quest to Keep Team GB Pumped, the classic song 'Simply the Best'.

Watch as Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington is training as usual when suddenly an underwater band appears to help her through.

You can watch the full story of the track, and add your voice to our next track on our website, http://www.keepourteampumped.com.

So come on Britain - Keep Singing, Keep Team GB Pumped!

Making of

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz81dQplx4I[/youtube]

Agency: Hypernaked London
Creative director: Oliver Green
Creative: Joseph Keirs and Sef Tedder
Production Company: Hungry Man London
Director: Taika Waititi
Executive producer: Linda Paalanne
Producer: Andy Bell and Matt Keen

source
emira

by emira » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:29 pm

NBC Super Bowl promo

Brotherhood of Man

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJuAvwtmXuw[/youtube]
emira

by emira » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Cadbury Wispa Gold - "Gold" (2011)

a part of Keep Team GB Pumped

Client: Hypernaked
Production Company: Hungryman
Producer: Lindsay Moyes
emira

by emira » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Congratulations to Hungry Man's DIRECTOR Taika Waititi, and the rest of the HM crew for picking up a GOLD PENCIL last night at the One Show Entertainment Ceremony for their fabulous work on "Brotherhood of Men" in the TV Promo Category!!!!

source

#excited# #clap# #excited#
emira

by emira » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:18 pm

Steinlager Pure (2012)

Steinlager Pure and DDB catch a Taika by the tail

June 29th, 2012 by Ben Fahy

Since Steinlager Pure was launched in 2007, Lion has used big name American actors to endorse the brand, with the likes of Harvey Keitel, Willem Dafoe and Vincent Gallo gracing our screens and stroking our egos in the past campaigns made by Publicis Mojo. But after a hiatus from Kiwi TV screens as its big brother’s white cans took over during the RWC—and with DDB now as its lead agency—it’s ready to launch its next campaign on Sunday. And for the first time the new mascot is a Kiwi: successful director, actor and all-round funny man Taika Waititi.

Sadly—and these days, strangely—the powers that be are keeping it old school and waiting for the ad to air this Sunday night during TV One’s Sunday Theatre rather than have it posted online first, but keen beans can get a look on Steinlager’s Facebook page at 3pm on Sunday. We’ve had a sneak peek and while the ad acknowledges our great country’s achievements like the previous efforts, this time it does it in quintessentially Waititi-esque fashion, with a big injection of his brand of kooky Kiwi humour.

“It was a lot of fun to be involved in the new Steinlager Pure campaign, both as an actor and director,” says Waititi, who also contributed significantly to the writing of the ad. ”I am excited to be the first Kiwi front man for Pure and it was exciting bringing my style of comedy to the brand and celebrating how good we have it in New Zealand, in a slightly unique way.”

The ad kicks off with Waititi saying ‘do I really have to tell you how good we have it in New Zealand?’ and then gives sone stick to a host of advertising cliches that have been used to sell New Zealand’s virtues in the past.

DDB’s managing director Justin Mowday says he’s pretty stoked, both to get Waititi on board and with the end result, which was filmed in Los Angeles and orchestrated by Waititi’s production representatives from Curious.

“It’s pretty out there,” he says. “But everyone we’ve showed it to has loved it.”

He says there’s a tendency for premium brands to be a little bit too earnest and “uber serious”, so enlisting Waititi and embarking on a new, more comedic strategy was an attempt to make the brand more approachable and fun.

He says there’s no explicit connection to the “clenched fist on heart” patriotism of the very successful We Believe campaign, but he admits it is a brand with a bit of momentum at the moment and that campaign helped to re-establish a place in Kiwis’ hearts, so there’s a desire to replicate some of that love by using one of our local lads. And there’s also a desire to show that the cultural cringe isn’t what it used to be and we’re willing to celebrate successful Kiwis on the world stage.

As Todd Gordon, Steinlager’s marketing manager (who’s soon to head to Australia with a new job inside the Lion family) says: “This is a coming-of-age story. We’ve developed a newfound confidence in our place in the world and this new campaign reflects that. Taika is a Kiwi succeeding on the global stage and we’re proud of him and other Kiwis that are achieving internationally. We’ve come a long way as a nation, and can now pat each other on the back when we do well, and this new instalment of Pure is a reflection of this.”

Obviously, Waititi, who has just had a baby, has a signature style, and Mowday says everyone agreed that it wasn’t worth getting him on board to do the ad if he was just going to be shut down, which meant he had a fairly loose leash so he could do his thing.

Recently, Waititi managed to drum up some cash in order to get Boy, New Zealand’s most successful movie, shown in the US and it received rave reviews. And, after being nominated for an Oscar, directing a couple of Flight of the Conchords episodes, starring in The Green Lantern, and directing a few other shows and movies, his star keeps rising, as evidenced by this big musical number he directed for NBC that showed before its superbowl coverage.

CREDITS:

Agency – DDB Group New Zealand

Client – Lion Nathan

Executive Creative Director – Andy Fackrell

Creative Director – Chris Schofield

Art Director: Damian Galvin

Copywriter: Rory McKechnie

Head of Television: Judy Thompson

Agency Producer: Kim Baldwinson/Pip Mayne

Managing Partner: Scott Wallace

Account Manager: Jonathan Rea

Production Company: Curious

Producer: Matt Noonan

DOP: John Lindley

Editor: Luke Haigh

Visual Effects: Curious Post

Music: Liquid Studios

Sound Design: Jon Cooper at Coopers FR

Client –

Beer Marketing and Sponsorship Director– Danny Philips

Steinlager Marketing Manager – Todd Gordon

Steinlager Assistant Brand Manager – Janna Tipler

source

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t98V-2b4QTs[/youtube]

#rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #ded#

So gifable! ;D
emira

by caiknbake » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:43 pm

love it! #lmao#
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by gezyka » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Oh, the ostrich. #rofl#
gezyka

by emira » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:09 pm

gezyka wrote:Oh, the ostrich. #rofl#

I thought it's rather a moa and Taika's reinterpretation of Patea Maori Club's cover for Poi E

#lol#
emira

by gezyka » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:42 am

emira wrote:
gezyka wrote:Oh, the ostrich. #rofl#

I thought it's rather a moa and Taika's reinterpretation of Patea Maori Club's cover for Poi E

#lol#

Oh! #haha# I guess I wasn't really aware of those. Even more brilliant! #rofl#
gezyka

by emira » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Old Navy commercials (2012)

New Girl

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQWSbA0YdI[/youtube]

Advertising Agency: CP+B, USA
Worldwide Chief Creative Officer: Rob Reilly
Executive Creative Director: Jason Gaboriau
Creative Directors: Robin Fitzgerald, Cameron Harris
Associate Creative Directors: Alexandra Sann, Mike Kohlbecker
Senior Copywriters: Jamie Toal, Jorge Ortega
Senior Art Director: Tushar Date
Vp/head Of Video Production: Chad Hopenwasser
Executive Integrated Producer: Deb Drumm
Sr. Integrated Producer: Katie Porter
Jr. Integrated Producer: Jackie Maloney
Production Company: Hungry Man
Executive Producers: Kevin Byrne, Cindy Becker
Producer: Bridgitte Pugh
Post Production: The Mill
Post Producer: Rachael Trillo
Project Vfx Supervisor: Tara Demarco
Lead Vfx Artist: Tara Demarco
Set Supervisor: Tara Demarco
Editorial Company: Cut & Run
Executive Producer: Carr Schilling
Editor: Frank Effron
Assistant Editor: Russell Anderson
Music Company: Q Department
Producer: Zack Rice
Composer: Drazen Bosnjak
Executive Integrated Music Producer: Bill Meadows
Sound Design Company: Lime Studios
Executive Producer: Jessica Locke
Sound Designer: Loren Silber
Vp/group Account Director: Danielle Whalen
Account Director: Kate Higgins
Content Management Supervisor: Mellissa Krumm
Content Supervisor: Georgette Young
Content Manager: Jennifer Hanson
Executive Business Affairs Manager: Amy Jacobsen
Cognitive Anthropologists: Lindsey Allison, Jennifer Hruska

source
emira

by emira » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:28 am

Old Navy: Why Choose?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQ0yxwYqG4[/youtube]
source and credits
emira

by emira » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:12 am

When things are this good, you win the Ad Impact award

The Ad Impact Awards are often closely fought and the July round proved no exception, with both Steinlager Pure and V performing above the norms as impactful TV ads. But Taika Waititi’s comedic effort in DDB’s Steinlager Pure ‘When things are this good’ TVC was too strong, pipping Colenso BBDO’s V Motion Project.

Harriet Dixon, senior account manager at Colmar Brunton, sings the praises of both efforts, describing them as highly enjoyable ads that effectively engage consumers, leaving them in no doubt as to what brand the ads are for.

“Both ads excel at creating above average ‘talkability’, with the Steinlager ad going one step further to create an even stronger response,” she says. “Gaining a higher persuasion index score by driving more consumers to want buy the brand and also achieving strong brand appeal (aiding an emotional connection with the brand) which is important for long term sales.” While the V Motion Project scored slightly higher in both the branding and impact indexes, Steinlager’s persuasion index score was notably higher.

DDB managing director Justin Mowday says he's a fan of the V Motion Project, so was understandably chuffed to have taken out the award. And, having already received positive feedback from those in the trade and consumers alike, having it recognised in a formal sense is another coup.

"It’s a good example of great creativity being effective and that’s obviously what we strive for on behalf of our clients—to make ads that capture people’s attention, communicate the right message and get them engaged with the brand. In that sense it’s a great win."

The ad features an ample amount of all-too familiar advertising cliches, and Mowday says poking fun at our often earnest tendencies was always the intention.

"Certainly using Taika has been a great call and people have responded really well and have embraced that style of humour," he says. "We wanted that type of humour and we wanted to make the brand feel very accessible and very New Zealand. To have Taika saying we don’t need to have all these clichés and stereotypes about ourselves is a great way to get the pure message across. When something is this good, you can keep it pure. That comes across every well."

Stop Press NZ
emira

by emira » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:26 am

Pure Taika Waititi
The NZ director talks about hating treatments, making musicals and other funny stuff

Pure Steinlager Pure Taika is completely nuts but it travels well to the rest of the world. You star and direct the commercial. Did you also write it? What is your usual process for directing commercials?

I like working closely with the creatives and having the chance to offer up ideas and collaborate. I only wrote the funny stuff.

Are you approached by agencies who like your brand of humour and subsequently scripts are handed to you to direct or do you have to write treatments and pitch?

It’s invaluable to have a treatment as a creative template that everyone can reference and contribute to, sometimes that can be really basic, other times it can be quite elaborate. Personally, and I think I speak for everyone, I hate writing treatments. Usually I try to amuse myself in a treatment and so they become weird and a little bit irreverent – which explains why I hardly ever book jobs.

Do you think in pictures or words when creating scenarios?

Pictures probably. Pictures of words.

A lot of your work has a musical element whether it’s fabulously cheesey musicals for NBC, Tina Turner playing underwater for Rebecca Arlington, or rapping over the kitchen bench for Mother London. Is music part of the DNA of your scripts?

So far it has been a lot of music which is ironic because I hate musicals and musical ads. But if you do one thing well you’ll usually be a go to person for that style. Luckily I didn’t do a really good life insurance ad.

Your feature film, Boy, which upon seeing rocketed up 1.4’s favourite list, has been a phenomenal success in Australasia. Why did you decide to tackle the distribution yourself and not put the feature in the hands of a big distributor?

I thought distribution looked really easy.

Actually it was the American producer who wanted to spearhead the distribution. I said I’d help. I’m not sure I helped.

Is a UK / European release due?

It premiered in at the Berlin film festival and has been released in various European countries, but as yet I think it’s possibly too cutting edge for British audiences.

What are you up to now?

I’m back in NZ helping build the set for a movie that I’m making with my friends. After working in America with studios, rich people, and idiots, it’s lovely to be back in a sane environment where you can actually be creative.

emira

Next

Return to Taika Waititi