Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

The Inbetweeners - US version

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by Chloue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:29 pm

MTV's 'Inbetweeners' Finds Cast & Director

EXCLUSIVE: MTV has assembled the quartet of leads for its remake of the award-winning British series The Inbetweeners, which was greenlighted to pilot in September. Joey Pollari (Avalon High), Bubba Lewis (To Save a Life), The Virginity Hit star Zack Pearlman and Mark L. Young (Big Love) are set to star in the high-school comedy described as Superbad meets Freeks and Geeks. It revolves around four high school boys (Pollari, Lewis, Pearlman, Young) who belong to the "inbetweeners" social class -- teens who are not the most cool and popular but not geeky enough to be branded uncool. Taika Waititi (The Flight of the Concords) is set to direct the pilot, which is slated to begin production on January 10 in Orlando. Brad Copeland wrote the adaptation and serves as the showrunner. He is executive producing with Iain Morris and Damon Beesley, creators of the original series, and Aaron Kaplan of Kapital Entertainment. This marks the fourth pilot for 18-month-old Kapital Entertainment.

source

#cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# /:) #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer#

EEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
Chloue
I like to rock the party!

by Chloue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Am I opening the thred without knowing it?
I mean: LET'S PARTAY! #cheer#

edit: okay so now I need to watch the original series, kthxby.
Chloue

by emira » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Yeah, I've just messed up 8-) #shy#. Now I need to learn how I can bump my post before yours, or I'll just edit your post to put the article along with your squee. ;D

ETA: Done #thumbsup#

I shouldn't have deleted my first post. What?! I'm still learning! :P
emira
You can't break this heart...

by Amily » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Oh wow! This is amazing news! #excited# #excited# #excited#

I just hope this version will live up to the original... will be hard to top. Many British shows are re-made into US versions and they never seem to be as successful so here's hoping. Though, now with Taika added to the mix... I'm feeling pretty confident. #love3#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Chloue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:10 pm

emira wrote:Yeah, I've just messed up 8-) #shy#. Now I need to learn how I can bump my post before your, or I'll just edit your post to put the article. :P

HAHA I'm fine with it... 8-) or I can edit mine if you want.

Amily wrote:Many British shows are re-made into US versions and they never seem to be as successful

True, just like the US version of Skins, looks like... excuse my french, de la grosse daube.

Amily wrote:Though, now with Taika added to the mix... I'm feeling pretty confident.

I hope it will, but I think we can trust Taika! ;D
Chloue

by emira » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:11 pm

The Office did pretty well, though I still prefer the original :P

Definitely Taika will save the day #haha# #heart# /:) #heart#

I just wonder if Jemaine will have something to do with it as well... #excited2#
emira

by blondesnotbombs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:43 pm

emira wrote:Taika Waititi (The Flight of the Concords) is set to direct the pilot, which is slated to begin production on January 10 in Orlando.

O RLY. #stirthepot#
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by onlyalways » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Amily wrote:I just hope this version will live up the original... will be hard to top. Many British shows are re-made into US versions and they never seem to be as successful so here's hoping.

That's for sure. A main reason being our overpowering censorship, while British television tends to be more laid-back about it. 8-)

But here is hoping! #pray# I'll definitely be catching it because of Taika and I also enjoyed the original. #excited#

emira wrote: I just wonder if Jemaine will have something to do with it as well... #excited2#

Oooh my goodness. That was be awesome. Jemaine as a teacher? #cloud9# #six#

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by squidhat » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 am

wow! i don't know how to feel about this. the inbetweeners is one of my favorite tv shows and i usually don't care much for remakes.. #shrug# it's still exciting though, what with taika directing the pilot and all. i'm torn #lol#
squidhat

by emira » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:14 am

Taika Waititi: having more fun with boys

Screen Hub
Friday 10 December, 2010

Boy director Taika Waititi will direct the pilot for a US remake of British teen comedy The Inbetweeners. The show goes into production for MTV on 10 January, having originally been considered for America's ABC network.

The original won several UK awards, including Best New British Television Comedy (Scripted) and Best Male Comedy Newcomer (for lead Simon Bird) at the British Comedy Awards; Best New British TV Sitcom 2008 by the British Comedy Guide website and the Audience Award at this year's British Academy Television Awards. In 2009 it missed out on the Best Comedy BAFTA to The IT Crowd, but won this year.

The programme was praised for its "exquisitely accurate dialogue, capturing the feel of adolescence perfectly" by the Independent and also by the Guardian, which said it "captures the pathetic sixth-form male experience quite splendidly".

The original Channel 4 production ran for three seasons, and currently has a feature film in production. Here it has screened on TV2, and in the US has been seen on BBC America.

Unlike MTV's other Channel 4 remake, Skins, which refreshes its teenage cast every two seasons to allow long-running exploitation of the concept, The Inbetweeners opted to tell the story of its four male high-school leads and then call it a day (except for the feature spin-off and a couple of proposed specials).

Waititi, despite an Oscar nomination and a long-running participation in Sundance, both in labs and on screen, his biggest NZ success, is equally well-known in the US more for his work as a director on Flight of the Conchords.

Commissioned by HBO, Flight of the Conchords also stemmed from a British production, the same-titled radio series McKenzie and Clement made for BBC Radio 2 in 2004. McKenzie was yesterday announced as one of the two leads, with Australian Hamish Keith, in Rob Sarkies' Two Little Boys.

US remakes of foreign shows don't have a great record of longevity in the US, proving the old saw about the countries having two peoples divided by a common language. Even ignoring those that have not been picked up from pilots, Australia's Kath & Kim, the UK's Life on Mars and NZ's Outrageous Fortune (made as Scoundrels in the US) have all been cut after their first season.

source
emira

by gezyka » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:14 pm

I've only seen the first episode (for "Bret Clement" #haha#), but am looking forward to this! Wonder if they'll keep Taika/he'll stay on board if the pilot is successful...

blondesnotbombs wrote:
emira wrote:Taika Waititi (The Flight of the Concords) is set to direct the pilot, which is slated to begin production on January 10 in Orlando.

O RLY. #stirthepot#

Get on it! #stirthepot# #stirthepot#
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by emira » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:59 am

gezyka wrote:I've only seen the first episode (for "Bret Clement" #haha#), but am looking forward to this! Wonder if they'll keep Taika/he'll stay on board if the pilot is successful...

#pray# #cheer#
emira

by emira » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:57 am

cross-posting this here from the The Tweet Urchin thread :)

sargifster wrote:
US Inbetweeners starts shooting on Tuesday. All I need now is a book on how to direct.
emira

by emira » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:07 pm

2nd to last day of US Inbetweeners shoot. Don't know how good the show will be but I look awesome.

Does it mean he's in it too? #excited2#
emira

by Chloue » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Do you think so? I mean, yu think he plays in it? That's be WOW awesome! :P
Chloue

Next

Return to Taika Waititi