Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

The Inbetweeners - US version

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by Amily » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:05 am

I would absolutely DIE if he was in it. #ded#

Really, the show wouldn't even have to be good for me to watch it! #lol# :P
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by emira » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm

While he recently directed the pilot for a US MTV remake of hit UK comedy The Inbetweeners, and is waiting to hear if the show will go ahead, Waititi has not decided if he will direct the series himself.

"Even if the show gets picked I don't have to commit to doing it just because I directed the pilot. I can decide on that later."

source

I don't feel like he's very into directing the whole series, if it'll be picked up. #shrug# Especially, when there will be more opportunities to make his own projects. #excited2#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm

#squee# #squee# #squee# #squee# #squee# #squee#

MTV Picks Up 'Inbetweeners' To Series

MTV has picked up its remake of the award-winning British series The Inbetweeners to series with a 12-episode order. Brad Copeland wrote the adaptation and serves as the showrunner. He is executive producing with Iain Morris and Damon Beesley, creators of the original series, and Aaron Kaplan of Kapital Entertainment.

The Inbetweeners, which was greenlighted to pilot in September, stars Joey Pollari (Avalon High), Bubba Lewis (To Save a Life), The Virginity Hit star Zack Pearlman and Mark L. Young (Big Love) in a high-school comedy described as Superbad meets Freeks and Geeks. It revolves around four high school boys (Pollari, Lewis, Pearlman, Young) who belong to the "inbetweeners" social class -- teens who are not the most cool and popular but not geeky enough to be branded uncool. Taika Waititi (The Flight of the Concords) directed the pilot. This marks the third series pickup for Kapital Entertainment out of 4 produced pilots. The company has 3 more pilots now filming at the broadcast networks.

There is no word yet on the future of another high-profile British adaptation at MTV, controversial teen drama Skins, which recently wrapped its first season. Unlike the racy, sexually-charged Skins, Inbetweeners is said to be a more innocent and sweet look at coming-of-age. The Inbetweeners pickup follows another recent order of a new scripted series, drama I Just Want My Pants Back.

source
emira

by onlyalways » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:32 pm

There is no word yet on the future of another high-profile British adaptation at MTV, controversial teen drama Skins, which recently wrapped its first season. Unlike the racy, sexually-charged Skins, Inbetweeners is said to be a more innocent and sweet look at coming-of-age.

If its anything like the original it won't be. #haha# #hmm#

But I'm happy for Taika! #cheer# Do we know if he'll be directing more of the series? Either way I'll be sure to check out at least the pilot when it airs. :)

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by emira » Wed May 04, 2011 11:35 am

iainkevanmorris: new inbetweeners on @BBCAMERICA from the 18th june. also, anyone know any english inbetweeners fans in LA? i need a favour.

#excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited#

ADD

After having second thoughts, I think he was talking about the British version, third series. Sorry! #shy#
emira

by Amily » Wed May 04, 2011 12:06 pm

I don't know if he is Syl... unless there is news I haven't heard about, the British version is finished. There will be a movie to end the series which last I heard is coming out in August. :)

UNLESS BBCAmerica hasn't aired the entire original series and that's what he means... #shrug#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by emira » Wed May 04, 2011 12:22 pm

From the site I linked above:

BBC AMERICA LAUNCHES COMEDY BLOCK

General Manager Perry Simon announces Ministry of Laughs showcasing a new generation of British comedy

New York - BBC AMERICA is launching a new, two hour, comedy zone, Ministry of Laughs, beginning Saturday, June 18, 10:00pm - 12:00pm ET/PT.

Ministry of Laughs premieres a raft of award-winning shows, kicking off with some of the most recent irreverent and inventive comedies from the UK. They include: The Inbetweeners, an all-new season of the BAFTA winning comedy; Come Fly With Me, the new project from Matt Lucas and David Walliams, creators and writers of their genre-breaking comedy Little Britain and Friday Night Dinner created and written by Robert Popper (Look Around You, South Park, Peep Show).

[...]

· The Inbetweeners (6 x 30) is back for a third season with more tales of awkwardness, idiocy and sexual misadventure from Will (Simon Bird), Simon (Joe Thomas), Jay (James Buckley) and Neil (Blake Harrison). Now in their final year at high school the boys are looking forward to a new era of respect and credibility - and romance. Iain Morris and Damon Beesley are the creators, writers and executive producers. It is a Bwark production for E4 and distributed by DRG. The Inbetweeners premieres Saturday, June 18, 11:00pm ET/PT.

[...]

So... yeah, I think this is it.

ADD

Iain confirmed that he was talking about the British version.
emira

by emira » Sun May 08, 2011 6:16 am

Waititi chosen for hit show
By Bevan Hurley
5:30 AM Sunday May 8, 2011

Taika Waititi is to direct a remake of hit British comedy The Inbetweeners.

MTV will make at least one series on the strength of a pilot directed by the LA-based Kiwi star.

"I'm going to be doing at least three episodes ... it's going to be filmed in Florida in the hottest, most humid time of the year.

"I'm coming back for the World Cup in September and I don't want anything clashing with that."

The Boy and Eagle vs Shark director stars in superhero flick Green Lantern, due to be released in the US in June.

He said The Inbetweeners was about four high school boys and the remake would be "relatively faithful" to the original, which screens on UKTV on Friday nights.

Waititi recently returned to Los Angeles to finish film scripts.

source

#squee# #squee# #squee# #squee# #squee# #squee# #squee#
emira

by emira » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:36 am

Ok Orlando, there aren't many theme-park centric towns I would willingly go to for 5 weeks so you be good to me and I'll be good to you.

#excited2#

5 weeks that means there's a chance he'll come to NZ for the World Cup eventually.
emira

by emira » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:05 am

MTV Begins Production on In Betweeners
(released 7/31/2011)

By Douglas Lorah

This week, MTV begins production on The Inbetweeners in Orlando. It is a rewrite of a British television series. The Inbetweeners is about high schoolers that aren't quite cool, but not totally geeks. They are "in between."

The pilot shot here in January and MTV gave it the greenlight in March with an order for 12 episodes. The remake is written by an Ocala native Brad Copeland. He is also serving as showrunner. Copeland's credits include writing the features Wild Hogs and Yogi Bear as well as writing for the TV shows My Name is Earl, Arrested Development and Grounded for Life.

The pilot was directed by Taika Waititi and he has been quoted by the New Zealand Herald that he will be directing at least 3 episodes.

Local vets include Lee Grimes (makeup) and Stephen Campbell behind the camera.

Heinz Productions is looking for extras.

source

Anyone from Florida? :)
emira

by emira » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:31 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bkqZxg0nm0[/youtube]
Director Taika Waititi films a US version of an episode of the UK comedy series "The Inbetweeners" in the Amity area of Universal Studios Florida, 8/11/2011

#excited2#
emira

by emira » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:01 pm

[...]
Now Waititi is deep in the middle of another American project, working on a TV series for MTV, a channel otherwise "renowned for shows about children who get pregnant", he quips.

The show is The Inbetweeners, a transplant from Britain where the original series was such a huge success that it's spawned a hit film.

Waititi has already directed the first four episodes, and he's about to head back to the US to do the season finale.

Both versions follow a group of four teenage schoolboys – "the invisible group", he says, the sort who "just glide through school not really being picked on too much, but not at all being popular".

"They basically just pass their time trying to have sex, trying to get girlfriends, trying to get alcohol, and just going through all those experiences that people in college, high school, do."

There are plenty of quirks to filming in the US, he says. The actors who play the schoolboys are all in their early 20s – "that's classic". Most of the swearing and smut from the British show has had to be excised from the script. "We're not allowed to be as crass as the UK version, because the standards in the States are way higher ... It's really hard. You've got to do weird versions where you're making alternative swearwords."

There have been personal challenges too, such as spending weeks sweating in the heat of Orlando, Florida, the theme-park town where the series is being filmed.

"Orlando's not the most picturesque town I've ever been to," he says, laughing.

But it does have some perks. For one, it's got an "anywhere in America" feel, perfect for the show's fictional location.
[...]
Travelling to Orlando? "Not exactly my dream come true."
[...]

source
emira

by emira » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:10 pm

MTV Announces 'Inbetweeners' Premiere Date
Based on the British series, the half-hour scripted comedy will debut in August.
7:52 PM PDT 6/21/2012 by Philiana Ng

MTV has announced the premiere date for new comedy The Inbetweeners.

The half-hour scripted comedy, which follows four teenagers as they try to navigate high school and into adulthood, will launch Monday, Aug. 20 at 10:30 p.m. following the premiere of Rob Dyrdek's Ridiculousness.

Based on the British series of the same name, Inbetweeners stars Joey Pollari, Bubba Lewis, Zack Pearlman, Mark L. Young and Alex Frnka. The pilot was directed by Taika Waititi (Flight of the Conchords).

At a Paley event on Thursday evening, Pollari spoke to The Hollywood Reporter about his character Will McKenzie.

"He's moving from a private school to a public school, and finds out that the only three guys who will hang out with him are these fools (Simon, Jay and Neil)," he says. "They bond together to try and get girls and try to get each other out of the way as soon as a girl gets into the picture. It's a lot like the real high school experience. That's certainly what I went through."

Executive producers include Brad Copeland (Arrested Development) and Aaron Kaplan, as well as creators of the original series Damon Beesley and Iain Morris.

The Hollywood Reporter

There's a video interview with the cast at the source. Those guys have a really tough job to do. I love the UK Neil too much! Maybe I shouldn't have watched the UK version before watching this one.... We'll see...

Get Ready for a Summer of "Inbetweeners," When the New Comedy Series "The Inbetweeners" Premieres on Monday, August 20 at 10:30 P.M. ET/PT on MTV
The newcomer will follow the return of "Ridiculousness" at 10:00/9:00c.

Santa Monica, CA. (June 22, 2012) - MTV is bringing viewers a summer full of "inbetweeners" - that is, not nerds or jocks, but kids who are smack in the middle of the high school social ladder - with the premiere of the new scripted comedy series "The Inbetweeners" on Monday, August 20 at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT. Following in the vein of established scripted hits on the network such as "Teen Wolf" and "Awkward," "The Inbetweeners" takes a comedic look at a group of teenagers navigating high school and charging into adulthood the way everyone does... by taking one step forward and three steps back. Whether humiliating themselves in an effort to impress the girl of their dreams, or mercilessly mocking their friend for driving a bright yellow clunker with a cassette player and one blue door, get ready to embrace the "inbetween."

"The Inbetweeners" is based on the critically acclaimed award-winning British series, and was adapted for the U.S. by Brad Copeland ("Arrested Development," "My Name is Earl"). The pilot was directed by indie filmmaker-writer-director Taika Waititi ("Flight of the Conchords"). "The Inbetweeners" will air following the return of Rob Dyrdek's hit series "Ridiculousness" at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT, that same night on MTV.

"The Inbetweeners" stars Joey Pollari as Will McKenzie; Bubba Lewis as Simon Cooper; Zack Pearlman as Jay Cartwright; Mark L. Young as Neil Sutherland and Alex Frnka as Carly D'Amato.

Click here to get exclusive info and become a fan of "The Inbetweeners" on Facebook.

The series is executive produced by Brad Copeland and Aaron Kaplan, along with UK series creators Damon Beesley and Iain Morris. Clay Spencer, Justin Levy and Jennifer Russakoff are the MTV executives in charge.

"The Inbetweeners" will also air internationally on MTV channels around the world starting in January 2013.

source

Filmed-in-Orlando ‘Inbetweeners’ debuts Aug. 20 on MTV
MTV, Orlando — posted by halboedeker on June, 22 2012 1:15 PM

Brad Copeland, center, and the young stars of 'The Inbetweeners.' Photo credit: MTV

Central Florida will be showcased in “The Inbetweeners,” a sitcom that premieres at 10:30 p.m. Aug. 20 on MTV.

Executive producer Brad Copeland of “Arrested Development” adapted the British hit. In an interview last year, he told me that he asked MTV if he could shoot the high-school sitcom in Florida.

“They said ‘absolutely,’ ” he said. “My family is here. It’s my home. My wife and I have a toddler. We have 16 acres of lake property in Mount Dora where I keep a boat and a four-wheeler. For me it was about coming home.”

The series shot around Central Florida for three months. “L.A. would have been very expensive,” Copeland said. “Another advantage of coming here is we get the rebate.” (Florida offers tax-credit incentives to production companies.)

Indie filmmaker-writer-director Taika Waititi of “Flight of the Conchords” directed the pilot.

source
emira

by caiknbake » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:08 pm

i had missed this news before. how cool!!! #excited#
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by emira » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 am

caiknbake wrote:i had missed this news before. how cool!!! #excited#

And if you haven't watched "The Inbetweeners Movie", one comment on our WOT gave me heads up about its US premiere. Finally, it's on September 7th! #cheer# Over one year after its UK premiere.
emira

PreviousNext

Return to Taika Waititi