Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

The Inbetweeners - US version

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by emira » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:19 pm

The Inbetweeners trailer premiered today on the MTV site, but it's only for US viewers, so... #sadlove#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:53 pm

worldwide friendly :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fxnY_98FNo[/youtube]
emira

by squidhat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 am

i think it looks pretty shite to be honest :-\
squidhat
I like to rock the party!

by emira » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:03 pm

read from the bottom

If I don't like the series, I'll definitely love the pilot. That's my pre-judgement. :)
emira

by blondesnotbombs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Awww, that is a lovely and gracious response. #love3#
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by emira » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:22 pm

The Inbetweeners
(Series -- MTV, Mon. Aug. 20, 10:30 p.m.)
By Brian Lowry

Filmed in Orlando by Bwark Prods., Kaplan Entertainment and Brad Copeland Prods. Executive producers, Damon Beesley, Iain Morris, Aaron Kaplan, Copeland; co-executive producer, John Levenstein; producer, Wayne Morris; director, Taika Waititi; writer, Copeland; based on the series by Morris, Beesley.

Will McKenzie - Joey Pollari
Simon Cooper - Bubba Lewis
Jay Cartwright - Zack Pearlman
Neil Sutherland - Mark L. Young
Carly D'Amato - Alex Frnka

Representing the latest U.S. adaptation of a British series (and MTV's second, on the heels of "Skins"), coming-of-age comedy "The Inbetweeners" has, for once, clearly gained something in translation. Although thematically similar to most of the channel's scripted endeavors -- indeed, a virtual gender-switch companion to "Awkward" -- the show features a well-cast quartet of hapless losers, whose efforts to get laid and/or simply be cool keep backfiring in spectacular fashion. Clever and relatable, the show should connect with a youthful audience that never saw "Dazed and Confused" but, often feeling that way, deserves a version of its own.

Drawing heavily on situations from the original series but distinct in its rhythms as redeveloped by writer Brad Copeland ("Arrested Development"), the series centers on 16-year-old Will (Joey Pollari), who must forgo an Ivy League-bound private education because his parents have split.

Forced to attend a public high school, he's quickly foisted upon the oddball trio of Simon (Bubba Lewis), whose obsession with Carly (Alex Frnka), a childhood friend, consistently clouds his judgment; Jay (Zack Pearlman), a doughy horn-dog who talks constantly about sex, even if it's obvious he's a complete novice; and Neil (Mark L. Young), a half-baked airhead.

The premiere replicates a memorable sight gag from its predecessor -- a nervous Simon goes to Carly's house drunk, which ends disastrously -- while Will chafes at the indignities of his new environs, and seeks to outsmart his concerned mom (Christine Scott Bennett), with equally ill-conceived results. Brett Gelman (featured in NBC's "Go On") is also a riot as the classic harried administrator, who aspires to little more than getting through the day without any fatalities.

Like most MTV fare, "Inbetweeners" won't win many plaudits from cultural scolds, depicting as it does teens completely preoccupied with sex, masturbation and saying impolite things about each other's families -- including Will's "hot mom."

Still, it all works -- or at least most of it does -- in no small part because everyone has known (or God forbid, has been) one of these kids, stupidly initiating school clubs to impress a girl (as Will does in a later episode) or being embarrassed by that horrible-looking starter car cheerfully purchased by dad.

For all its success with reality, MTV's expansion into scripted fare has yielded mixed results, but with enough promising concepts to indicate the channel at least knows what it's after. And the title notwithstanding, far from the middle of the pack, "The Inbetweeners" earns a place near the top of its class.

Camera, Stephen F. Campbell; production designer, Mark Garner; editors, Richard Candib, Bijan Shams; music, David Schwartz; music supervisor, Nic Harcourt; casting, Juel Bestrop, Seth Yanklewitz. 30 MIN.

With: Brett Gelman, Christine Scott Bennett.

Variety

#excited# #cheer# #love3# #excited2#
emira

by emira » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:34 pm

MTV's The Inbetweeners: "First Day" Review
How does MTV's remake of British sitcom The Inbetweeners measure up?
by Chris Tilly
August 17, 2012

Remaking a British sitcom can be a dangerous exercise. For every success, there are many, many more failures. So while the U.S. version of The Office has enjoyed years of success, the likes of Coupling and Free Agents have failed in their first season, while Red Dwarf and Spaced didn’t even make it beyond the pilot stage.

So it’s with some trepidation that one approaches The Inbetweeners, MTV’s remake of the British sitcom of the same name, which spawned three hugely successful series and a low-budget spin-off movie that grossed tens of millions at the U.K. box office.

In response to such success, MTV has taken an ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ approach to the show, appropriating the same characters, situations and in many instances jokes and simply transplanting them to America.

And if the below trailer was anything to go by, it was set to be a disaster; a louder and more obnoxious carbon copy of the Channel 4 show. But trailers can be misleading, and so it is with The Inbetweeners, a comedy cover that, while not the equal of the original, nevertheless regularly delivers laughs.

[a clip]

As with the U.K. version, proceedings kick off with teenager Will (Joey Pollari) being transferred to public school Grove High because his mother can no longer pay his private school fees. Showing up with a blazer and briefcase, Will is a walking, talking target to the rest of the kids, so the vice-principal quickly pairs him with nice-guy Simon (Bubba Smith) to show him around.

And that’s where the fun begins, as Simon and best friends Jay (Zack Pearlman) and Neil (Mark L. Young) initially rip the living piss out of Will before eventually taking him under their wing, the three mismatched friends soon becoming four.

They share the same traits as their UK counterparts; Will awkward and uptight, Neil dumb as a rock, Jay a compulsive liar and Simon a wet blanket who’s obsessed with childhood sweetheart Carly D’Amato.

And once the first half of the U.S. pilot has mined the first half of the U.K. pilot for jokes (Will’s mum being hot, Neil’s dad being gay, Jay claiming to have stuffed both his penis and balls into a girl) it then cribs from a different episode in which the boys bunk off school, buy booze, get dunk, and visit Carly’s house, with predictably disastrous results.

Joey Pollari as Will, Mark L. Young as Neil, Zack Pearlman as Jay and Bubba Lewis as Simon.

Yet while the proceedings are caked in the stench of déjà vu, the episode is nevertheless consistently funny, the old jokes just about hitting their mark second time around, and the new ones laugh-out-loud funny, most notably a marvellous set-up and pay-off involving a child molester.

The show also manages to be just as rude, if not ruder that the original (you actually see Simon’s boner in this one, albeit through his trousers) though it’s a shame that the more explicit swear words are bleeped out, and we wait with baited breath for the American equivalent of the word ‘clunge.’

And after a somewhat shaky start, the cast quickly settle into their roles, though their delivery apes the British performances a little too closely, with none of the lads yet the comic equal of the originals, most notably Zack Pearlman as a less cruel and therefore less funny version of Jay.

With the U.S. series following the template of The Office by interspersing U.K.-inspired scripts with original episodes throughout the first season however, it looks like the American cast will soon get the chance to flex their own comedic muscles in new settings and situations.

But on this early evidence, MTV’s The Inbetweeners is much better than it has any right to be, never quite hitting the hilarious highs of the original, but delivering just enough laughs to make the Transatlantic journey worthwhile.

IGN

It'l like, "Let's smash them!... Wait... Hmm... actually MTV's The Inbetweeners is not bad... not bad at all!"

#excited#
emira

by emira » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:58 pm

The Inbetweeners: TV Review
8:00 AM PDT 8/17/2012 by Tim Goodman

The Bottom Line
Coming-of-age comedy suffers in comparison to Brit original.

Airdate
10:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 20 (MTV)

MTV's remake of the beloved -- and super-crass -- British series has big shoes to fill.

In the past couple of years, MTV's scripted development has made impressive leaps in quality, with both the acclaimed Awkward and the underappreciated and now-canceled I Just Want My Pants Back. Next up is a remake of British series The Inbetweeners, which must have seemed like a no-brainer given how great and audacious that series was at taking the staid coming-of-age theme of teenagers and giving it a newer, filthier vibe.

VIDEO: Fifty Shades of 'Inbetweeners': MTV Cast Gives a Dramatic Reading of the Erotic Novel

Imagine Freaks and Geeks, only with less naivete and a relentless enthusiasm for graphic sexual references and truly inspired swearing -- then add a British accent. But it’s always dubious to think that what passes for funny in England is going to work here, or that simply swapping out actors and trying to get the feel right will make it all turn out all right, even if in the early going they’re acting off of the original script. Even though original series creators Damon Beesley and Iain Morris are on board as executive producers and MTV got Brad Copeland (Arrested Development, Grounded for Life) to be the showrunner, the series still can’t get liftoff because it seems like a limp copy. There was considerably less gloss and sheen to the original (meaning it never felt like a manufactured sitcom), and there was something about the British cast that just worked perfectly, a collection of awkward teens trying to navigate high school with only one thing on their minds: getting laid.

VIDEO: 'Inbetweeners' Cast on Their New Comedy

It’s one thing to cast a bunch of teenage misfits and let them flounder in a sea of cheerleaders, but the Brit version was able to give them charm and vulnerability under the crassness. MTV will be hard-pressed to repeat the swearing onslaught of the original, but part of the kids’ redemption comes from being vile on the surface and just young boys underneath. And let’s not kid ourselves: The coming-of-age conceit for American teenagers is well-worn, and having it spun with wiry and foul-mouthed Brits instantly made it less typical, polishing over the parts where the familiar themes were played out or the behavior never seemed to deviate. It was all just too funny from their perspective.

It’s unlikely MTV will give its version that long a leash, contentwise, but it could. There’s plenty of boner and boobies talk already in the pilot, of course, and it is cable. No matter how boundary-pushing this new Inbetweeners is, fans of the original (and the 2011 movie) will find it lacking. Of course, many said the same about The Office, an even more hallowed British comedy that was able to shake off the copycat comparisons and carve out a completely different world for itself. And that very well might happen with Inbetweeners. More important, there might be very little crossover for fans of the original and MTV’s core audience.

If most audiences haven’t seen the original, then this Inbetweeners certainly could work because without direct comparisons to Brit actors Simon Bird (as Will) and Joe Thomas (as Simon), who were phenomenal in their roles, American actors Joey Pollari (Will) and Bubba Lewis (Simon) could be allowed to blossom and round out their dynamic (prep-schooler Will has moved to the daily nightmare of embarrassments that is public school, where Simon is paired with him so he won’t get bullied).

STORY: 'The Inbetweeners' Sex Comedy Boosts U.K. Broadcaster Channel 4's Revenue

The key to it all is that Simon isn’t exactly popular, but in his gaggle of friends he’s the best looking and possibly the sweetest, so elevation in the social pecking order isn’t entirely out of the question -- though it is so long as Will is around. The other two characters in the main foursome of adolescent boys in the American version, Jay (Zack Pearlman) and Neil (Mark L. Young), are more of a diversion from their British counterparts (and that might be troubling for fans of the original). Jay’s cocky swagger about his fantasy life of getting laid and being cool comes off as more confident and less desperate than his Brit counterpart, just as Young’s version of Neil is more airheaded and less cluelessly bemused than the original.

Yes, that’s nitpicking and only relates to those who saw and loved the original, which -- as mentioned above -- might only be a tiny fraction of the viewers. But hey, a copy is a copy, and it will always be held by critics to the standards of the original. An unenviable burden in this case.

Hollywood Reporter

...suffers in comparison to Brit original.

Does the show suffer because it's too similar to the original or the characters are not similar enough? 8-)

But hey, a copy is a copy, and it will always be held by critics to the standards of the original. An unenviable burden in this case.

Yes, and I think Taika and the rest of the team did a great job with it anyway.
emira

by emira » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:40 pm

I've just watched the first episode and I loved it! When I watched the previews of the next episodes, I was like "I want to see them now!" #excited#

Additional bonus was that 2 out of 5 songs featuring in the pilot are by New Zealand bands, Lawrence Arabia "Apple Pie Bed" and The Naked and Famous "Young Blood" #love3# #excited2#
emira

by caiknbake » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 pm

forgive my dumb question, but are you watching it online? is it streaming somewhere?
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by emira » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:19 am

caiknbake wrote:forgive my dumb question, but are you watching it online? is it streaming somewhere?

Not dumb at all. Sorry for not posting the link in the first place.

In the USA you can watch it on the MTV website and on hulu. Outside of the USA, like a criminal.

I watched the British original a couple of months ago, so I don't remember what was in which episode and I don't remember the lines, so I watched this version quite fresh and I liked it. I could recognise some situtations from the UK version, but it didn't really matter. I hope the next episodes will make Will McKenzie a stronger character, because he's the narrator here and I missed that in the first episode.
emira

by caiknbake » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:40 pm

emira wrote:In the USA you can watch it on the MTV website and on hulu.

perfect, thank you! #glomp#

Outside of the USA, like a criminal.

#rofl# #iheartu#

I watched the British original a couple of months ago, so I don't remember what was in which episode and I don't remember the lines, so I watched this version quite fresh and I liked it. I could recognise some situtations from the UK version, but it didn't really matter. I hope the next episodes will make Will McKenzie a stronger character, because he's the narrator here and I missed that in the first episode.

i actually just watched the first two UK series like a week or two ago, so i'm not sure if i need some more space, but i'm still curious...
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by emira » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:24 pm

caiknbake wrote:i actually just watched the first two UK series like a week or two ago, so i'm not sure if i need some more space, but i'm still curious...

Did you like it? I think it's like reading a book and then watching a film based on it. You notice differences and you either like the film or not.

I generally see three kinds of viewers and comments on the internet,

1 the UK version is an awesome cult tv show and whatever US version is, it still sucks, because it's just an American version and the rule is that MTV ruins all British shows, so it ruined it as well.

2 the US version will suck... wait... it's actually pretty good! I quite enjoy it. Not as great as the UK version (of course! because it's a cult tv show with so many BAFTAs!) but I'm going to give it a chance and watch it next week.

3 the US version is hillarious, the best show on tv ever! I haven't watched the UK version, so I'm going to see it, because I've heard it's even better.
emira

by caiknbake » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:40 am

i did like it, although for the most part it was a little too gross-out for me to consider it as amazing as so many people say it is. i have to say, though, i LOVE LOVE LOVE the actor who plays neil, so i will definitely miss him in this version. i hope the actors in this one are good, too :)

i'm sure that i will watch it eventually, but i think i am going to take a little breather before diving in. and i pinky-swear that i will never say it's terrible compared to the UK version ;D
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by emira » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:35 am

caiknbake wrote:i did like it, although for the most part it was a little too gross-out for me to consider it as amazing as so many people say it is.

Yeah, I guess it's the matter of male friendship. #lol# I like how they finished the show in series 3 #love3# , though I was a bit disappointed with the Movie.

I think you'll enjoy the softer US version better, then.

i have to say, though, i LOVE LOVE LOVE the actor who plays neil, so i will definitely miss him in this version. i hope the actors in this one are good, too :)

I love Blake Harrison! #love3# The actors in this one are great and I think they'll give their own flavour to their characters, so that it won't be the same Will, Neil, Jay and Simon as the British guys. For now, it was just a pilot shot in January 2011. Now we're going to watch episodes made in late summer/early autumn 2011. From what I remember, Taika missed most of The Rugby World Cup in September and October, because he was shooting his episodes. I expect the boys had grown up by then.

i'm sure that i will watch it eventually, but i think i am going to take a little breather before diving in. and i pinky-swear that i will never say it's terrible compared to the UK version ;D

Thank you! #haha# #glomp#
emira

Previous

Return to Taika Waititi