Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Taika Events

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by luckym » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:36 am

gezyka wrote:Umm, so I'mma move to LA now, kthxbai!!1 #ded#

#cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer#

On the drive back tonight we were saying that if we keep getting to do great stuff like this, eventually all the Flighties will have to move out to LA. ;D #stirthepot#
luckym
I'll nibble chips off your hips

by onlyalways » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:41 am

luckym wrote:

On the drive back tonight we were saying that if we keep getting to do great stuff like this, eventually all the Flighties will have to move out to LA. ;D #stirthepot#

I've already wanted to do that anyway! #haha# #excited2#

So awesome that you guys got to talk to him again, and mention the present! Good going! #thumbsup# #glomp# #glomp# #glomp#

Can I has group picture now?

<---impatient

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by luckym » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:44 am

onlyalways wrote:Can I has group picture now?

<---impatient

Jeez, can't you just watch the video until we get the pic? 8-) :P
luckym

by gezyka » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:47 am

luckym wrote:

It's like New New Zealand! You've even got some of the trees and the ice cream! #haha#
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by Amily » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:58 am

I've been wishing I lived in or near LA ever since the first time I went there 9 years ago.

You guys get everything and everyone! #shakefist# #lol#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by luckym » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:03 am

Amily wrote:I've been wishing I lived in or near LA ever since the first time I went there 9 years ago.

You guys get everything and everyone! #shakefist# #lol#

Well, clearly you all need to start making plans to move out here. #happyyes#
luckym

by emira » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:17 am

#dance# #dance# #dance# (or New York)
emira
You can't break this heart...

by luckym » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:25 am

I recorded two videos while we were waiting to talk to Taika. It's just him meeting people and I don't think you can really hear him, but here they are if you're interested... :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sY85kV_00[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBP8BepkWmk[/youtube]
luckym

by emira » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:35 am

OH yes, we are... his laugh... his Maori... #inlove# #inlove# #inlove# #inlove# #inlove#

/:) #blowkiss# #blowkiss# #blowkiss#
emira

by emira » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:10 am

here's one of the questions or rather thanks from the Q&A session :)

Authentic Kiwi girls don’t come much more fun than Gee Kylie.

Here’s girlfriend rocking an original “Tawa School” yellow tee, with two buds. How authentic and sweet is she, not forgetting her roots. I love it.

The occasion: Taika Cohen’s Boy movie, Grauman’s Chinese Theater.

Highlight: Question & Answer time with the director at the end of the film, Kylie said: “I just want to thank you for bringing Poi E the song, written by Patea Maori club to America. Back in the early eighties, who ever would have thought it would play at Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood, all those years ago. But you achieved that with this film.” The song was originally written to save families who had lost jobs from “freezing works” lay offs.

If you grew up bopping to this song, it was a very significant Hollywood momento.

Gee Kylie is such a good Kiwi girl. She says all the right things, to add to a special Hollywood occasion. Oh yeah, and Kylie totally bawled her eyeballs off at a certain part. (Don’t want to spoil it, go see the film).

source

Great to find out more about the song #love3#
emira

by Chloue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:15 am

emira wrote:

#dance# #dance# #dance# (or New York)

oh yes New York! #loveeyes#

Thanks for the vids luckym #excited2#
Chloue
I like to rock the party!

by chrissycubana » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:52 pm

first of all, sorry about my big poofy hair head getting in the way of that second video there #shy# - the gentleman i was speaking to turned out to be the executive producer of EvS + Boy,Emanuel Michael.

emira wrote:here's one of the questions or rather thanks from the Q&A session :)

Authentic Kiwi girls don’t come much more fun than Gee Kylie.

Here’s girlfriend rocking an original “Tawa School” yellow tee, with two buds. How authentic and sweet is she, not forgetting her roots. I love it.

The occasion: Taika Cohen’s Boy movie, Grauman’s Chinese Theater.

Highlight: Question & Answer time with the director at the end of the film, Kylie said: “I just want to thank you for bringing Poi E the song, written by Patea Maori club to America. Back in the early eighties, who ever would have thought it would play at Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood, all those years ago. But you achieved that with this film.” The song was originally written to save families who had lost jobs from “freezing works” lay offs.

If you grew up bopping to this song, it was a very significant Hollywood momento.

Gee Kylie is such a good Kiwi girl. She says all the right things, to add to a special Hollywood occasion. Oh yeah, and Kylie totally bawled her eyeballs off at a certain part. (Don’t want to spoil it, go see the film).

source

Great to find out more about the song #love3#

i loved Kylie's comment, and told her so when i saw her in the ladies' restroom after the film. she was re-applying her mascara, which perhaps had something to do with the bawling referred to above ;) . she was lovely, and explained the whole story about the Maori community that came together, with the help of a dedicated producer, to create and publicize Poi E and, basically, save the town. The song and video also served as a rallying cry of hope for many who suffered from the effects of poverty at that time.

thanks for finding this, sylwia! :D

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by luckym » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:57 pm

I think Chrissy filled in the main details last night, but here are a couple other things I remember...

When the girl was introducing Taika before the movie she mentioned something about how funny he is, and Taika was just standing off to the side saying "It's true! It's true!". Then when he took the mic to introduce the movie he said something like "Audience, the movie. Movie, the audience." like he was introducing two people, then said "I've done that joke before. It's dumb now." #lol# #heart#

He mentioned that he'd answer all our questions after the movie, then as he was about to leave he said something like "By the way, I'm not dressed like this for you! It's my friend's birthday." and when he started to leave the room he told us "I'm not going to stay, I've seen it before." #haha#

The answers he gave to the questions after the movie were all things he's mentioned about a million times in interviews so I won't go over everything he said, but basically people were asking about where the movie was made, how long it took to make it, what it was like working with kids, etc. His microphone was directly in front of us and we were in the second row, so we had a really nice view of the whole thing. ;D There was a photographer taking pics during the Q&A so hopefully those will pop up online sometime soon. Especially since he looked sooooo good in that suit! #drool# #wise# #ded#

We waited for most people to exit the theater before we went up to talk to him after, mostly because it took me about a hundred years to figure out how to work my camera since I was so nervous. (We were timing how long it took me to recover when we left him, and I think it was upwards of 20 minutes before I had completely stopped shaking- that guy had a serious affect on me. #lol# ) So that's why we were being kicked out of the theater and Taika had to walk backwards in Jessica's video. ;D

Like Chrissy said, Taika was just hanging out outside the theater for a long time after that, so we went back up to him to get another picture. He shook all our hands as we were about to leave, and he did a two handed handshake for Vanessa and I. Having Taika cover up my hand with both of his... #ded# His hands felt really nice and warm, but I don't know if that really says much about him because I've realized that most people's hands are warm compared to mine. #lol#

We all went to the bathroom and he was still hanging around after we came back. We were trying to figure out what we were going to do when I realized we should give him a heads up about the gift Ami will be giving him, so we went back up to him as he was leaving. He said thank you or something like that and then said it was nice meeting us as he left. Part of me feels like we must have been bugging him by going up to him for a third time, but he didn't seem to mind too much.

He gave me a pat on the shoulder as he was was leaving... Seriously, you guys, the man just can't keep his hands off me. #evilgrin# :P

Umm... I think that's it. I'll post again if I think of anything else. :)

ADD: Oh and Taika said he's going to New York soon. Let's hope he gets some work done with Jemaine! #pray#
luckym

by Chloue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:39 am

luckym wrote:He gave me a pat on the shoulder as he was was leaving... Seriously, you guys, the man just can't keep his hands off me. #evilgrin# :P

Lucky girl!! #excited2#
Chloue
I like to rock the party!

by Venus » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing the videos and accounts of what happened at the screening! You girls are so lucky! Can't wait to see the pics too :)
#heart# Image #heart#
Venus
The day time of the night

PreviousNext

Return to Taika Waititi