Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Taika Events

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by emira » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Message from Chloue:

I just met and "hugged" Taika Waititi, and he said "thanj you for doing the WOT website. I still don't realise, it went so fast. #flails

#ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded#
#heart# #heart# #heart# #heart# #heart# #heart# #heart# #heart# /:) #blowkiss# #heart# #heart# #heart# #heart# #heart# #heart# #heart# #heart#
#ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded# #ded#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by Venus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:18 am

OK so here's an account of my encounters with Taika at the NZFF in London. :)

Day 1 of the New Zealand Film Festival- Introduction by Taika Waititi + Screening of Two Cars, One Night and BOY

Before and during the screening of Two Cars, One Night and BOY

My friends Aimee and Eric were sitting in the row behind me and a couple of friends and once I caught Aimee's attention, Aimee pointed out that Taika was upstairs so I looked up and there Taika was looking quite dapper in a suit jacket, grey waistcoat, grey trousers and black t-shirt hanging out on the stairs talking to a couple of people. Iain Morris, writer of The Inbetweeners and a couple FOTC episodes came to sit on the other side of the same row as me.

During the introduction of Two Cars, One Night, Taika amused the audience by generally being quite awkward, laid back and acting as if he didn’t quite know what to say. He started off by saying that he came in from LA which he described as a place in America as the person who introduced Taika was unsure of whether he came in from LA or NYC. He talked about being incredibly jetlagged and that it felt as though everything was moving around him, even the jagged structures on the walls but then went on to say that the place looked cool. He described the New Zealand Film Festival as a showcase of the “life and works of Taika Waititi” and thanked the organisers. He also asked how many New Zealanders were in attendance and since there were quite a few cheers, Taika was like “eurgh”. #lol# He talked a bit about the cast of BOY by talking about James Rolleston and how the lead actor was re-cast because he grew up fast but he was given another role. He also talked about where BOY was filmed and how practically everyone in the town is a relative of his. Since he had already watched the films, he said he would just leave after giving his introduction but in fact it turned out that he stayed and mingled with everyone outside the cinema at the bar outside afterwards.

After Taika’s introduction, they showed this advert for the New Zealand Film Festival and they also showed advert for New Zealand with a focus on the rugby. One by One by The Black Seeds happened to also be playing in the background. #music#

I thoroughly enjoyed watching both Two Cars, One Night and BOY on the big screen. It was also really interesting listening to people’s reactions throughout both films. There was lots more laughter than I was expecting, especially during Two Cars, One Night. There was applause at the end of each film and after the Thriller/Haka dance during the credits. Thus I would say both films were very well received by the audience.

My encounter with Taika

After the screening we saw Taika hanging out with Iain and a few other people so Aimee and I just waited for the right time to go up to him and say hello. I followed Aimee's lead and she introduced herself to Taika and once Taika caught sight of her Crazy Horses t-shirt, he had a big smile on his face and was like, “Heeeyyy!” and hugged Aimee. Then I introduced myself and he said in a really upbeat manner, “Hi, I’m Taika!” He had the cutest smile on his face and gave me a big hug which was really unexpected and nearly made me melt. #love3# #loveeyes#

Aimee handed over her DVD to be signed by Taika and he said that he needed a flat surface so we just followed behind him and waited for him to finish signing her DVD which ended up taking quite a while because he gave Aimee's DVD an awesome makeover!

In the meantime, I saw Iain momentarily standing to the side by himself after he finished talking on the phone so I went up to him to introduce myself and said that I recognised him since I’m a big fan of The Inbetweeners. He seemed quite surprised and impressed that I recognised him lol and he was just really friendly. He told me that one of the actors in The Inbetweeners was here and he happened to be Joe Thomas who plays Simon in the show. Joe walked over so I shook his hand. He was very easy going and they were all having some banter about why Joe wasn’t there for the actual screening since he hasn’t seen Boy and he was joking around about his girlfriend being part of the reason why he couldn’t make the screening. We talked about the upcoming Inbetweeners movie and I told them that I had seen the teaser trailer. I asked Joe for a photo and he replied, “Of course, yeah sure!”. They were all really down to earth and easy going.

Once Taika was done signing Aimee's DVD cover, I asked both Taika and Iain to sign my FOTC S1 DVD cover. Iain had a look at all of the autographs and asked where he should sign since the front is quite full so he ended up signing the back. I told them about who I've got to sign the DVD so far and Iain talked about how amazing Arj was at Edinburgh last year and said, “Oh, you got Aziz to sign it too”. Iain then went on to say that we could have a debate about who wrote the best episode, him or Taika. Aimee mentioned that Iain wrote 'The Actor' in Season 1 of FOTC but Iain didn’t seem to remember the name of it or something lol. Taika laughed and said that he was glad that she remembered since Iain doesn’t seem to.

At some point, I told Taika how much I love BOY and that my friends who hadn’t seen it before really enjoyed it too and he smiled and thanked me. I also told him that I was attending the screening of Eagle vs Shark which is one of my favourite films and he was like, “Oh really? I’m glad, thank you”. After that I asked Taika if I could take a photo with him. At first he put his arm around me and we just smiled for the camera. And then he said something along the lines of, “We have to do the Crazy Horses sign now!” so we took another photo doing the gang sign. I also asked Iain for a photo whilst he was waiting for drinks at the bar.

More photos are up on my Facebook profile.

Day 2 of the New Zealand Film Festival- Screening of Tama Tu and Eagle vs Shark + Q&A with Taika Waititi hosted by Dave Calhoun, Film Editor at Time Out

As we were sitting in our seats waiting for the screening to begin, Taika seemingly popped out of nowhere from a seat in the front row to briefly introduce Eagle vs Shark. Iain was in attendance again as well so I saw him walking down to take a seat in the front row for the screening.

The NZFF advert and the NZ advert were shown before the films. Tama Tu screened before Eagle vs Shark and again, I would say both films were well received and the audience’s reactions to certain parts of the films were very amusing. For instance, there were loud audible gasps when Jarrod punched the box containing the cake Lily made for him which cracked both me and Aimee up. #lol# It was also a great experience for me being able to watch Tama Tu for the first time.

Here's the video of the Q&A:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s--sZRgdwNY[/youtube]
It was pretty funny and cringeworthy when that guy was saying that he was a huge Flight of the Conchords fan and then went on to refer to Jemaine as Jerome and the host even repeated him. #doh#

After the Q&A, people were hanging around outside the cinema screening room. Iain spotted me as he was walking across the room and asked whether I enjoyed the film. Once most people had left, Eric went up to talk to Taika whilst he was signing his ticket. Taika was sitting down talking to Eric whilst signing his ticket on a table and at one moment, looked up and caught sight of me and said, “Oh, hey!” in mid-conversation with another big smile on his face. #heart#

Once he had finished talking to Eric, I asked Taika whether he could sign my Eagle vs Shark DVD and he was like “yeah, sure” and he said he was going to do another amazing design in reference to Aimee’s BOY DVD cover. During the time he was signing my DVD cover, I asked him how writing for the film that he's doing with Jemaine which he mentioned in the Q&A was going and he said it was going well and that they were writing a vampire movie. Then I asked whether it’s based on the short film they did quite a few years ago [What we do in the shadows] and he said yes and that it’s taken them that long to get down to writing it. I also talked about hoping that BOY gets distributed in the UK for others to see even though my friend from Auckland sent me over a copy. Taika also talked about travelling around a lot so I asked whether he was still as jetlagged as he said he was yesterday but he told me that it had all worn off and that he was leaving London the following day. I also introduced Taika to Chloue so I’ll leave it to her to give her account of her encounter. :)

After, we all took a group photo with Taika and I shook his hand thanking him for his time. He also went around to hug all of us before we left. #cloud9# We all waved goodbye, I wished him a safe journey and that’s about it. Oh, and we decided to walk upstairs and ended up meeting Iain and Taika again as they were coming out of the lift, haha.

So as you can tell, I had an amazing time at the NZFF. This event was announced quite far in advance but Taika wasn't confirmed so I didn't get my hopes up about Taika turning up as I know he's a busy guy. I decided to ring The Barbican a couple of weeks ago to check whether they could confirm his attendance and to my surprise they told me Taika was definitely coming and it all kicked off from there. #buttrock# I'm so glad I had the opportunity to watch his films on the big screen and meeting Taika twice, who seemed genuinely happy to interact with all of us, was truly the icing on the cake. We all know that Taika is a good looking guy but I just have to mention how ridiculously handsome he is in real life too! #loveeyes#

#heart# Image #heart#
Venus
The day time of the night

by emira » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks Vesna for your awesome story. #notworthy# #angel# #blowkiss# I'm happy you had a great time #love3#

And Taika #inlove# /:) #blowkiss# #inlove#
emira

by chrissycubana » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:47 am

What a fantastic write-up - thank you Vesna!

/:) #blowkiss# #blowkiss# #blowkiss# #blowkiss# #blowkiss# #blowkiss# #blowkiss# #blowkiss# #blowkiss#

that's fabulous news re: the vampire film!!!!!!!!!!!
#cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer# #cheer#

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by introinter2003 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:58 am

Vesna I enjoyed a lot reading your story, looks like Taika is very warm and accesible guy, which I find lovely. I´m sooooo happy to know about the vampire movie proyect. Love the idea of another Taika-Jemaine colaboration, they are a very good work-team

EDITED: i was in a hurry when i posted first, so now i´ll take my time to show my entusiasm about the upcoming Taika´s proyect
#excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited#
I´m delighted to know about a whaterer new proyect of his, but the fact that it involves Jemaine colaboration too is just the best new possible!!!!!
#cloud9# #cloud9# #cloud9#

hopefully the movie will have a Phoenix Foundation´s soundtrack too, and that will be a perfect proyect!!!!

the jemaine-taika-PF threesome is like the holy trinity for me!!! I can´t think about one, without thinking in the other two too. I suposse Taika´s lovely films, Jemaine´s cuteness and PF music inhabite in the same place of my brain, the place where the good-feelings-triggering-factors are #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3#

EDITED 2: WTF I just realized I bought a very very lookalike Taika´s foulard / scarf sometime ago as a present to my boyfriend!!
introinter2003
There's nothin' wrong

by emira » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 am

This information can be unnoticed among the interviews and reviews in BOY thread, so I'm posting it here.

Check and see when Taika will be near you for an opening weekend Q&A near you!

Here's info on the Los Angeles Q&A schedule:

Laemmle Theatres SANTA MONICA:
- Friday, following 7:50PM show and before 10:15PM show
- Saturday, following 5:30PM and 7:50PM shows, and before 10:15PM show
- Sunday, following the 3:10PM, 5:30PM and 7:50PM shows

LAEMMLE'S PLAYHOUSE 7 (Pasadena):
- Saturday, following the 3:10PM show

SEE YOU THERE!!

from BOY the Movie's facebook

#cheer#
emira

by introinter2003 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:32 am

this message has moved. now it lives in Random Taikaness (I havent founf the way to dellete it..)
introinter2003
There's nothin' wrong

by chrissycubana » Tue May 29, 2012 1:53 am

d'awwwwwwwwww! That's wonderful news!

#love3# #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3#

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by emira » Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 am

#cloud9#

btw. this thread is for events where Taika will be present, so that others knew about them and try to be at them. For any random Taika news, I recommend Random Taikaness. :)

Thanks! #angel# #blowkiss#
emira

by introinter2003 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:37 pm

emira wrote:#cloud9#

btw. this thread is for events where Taika will be present, so that others knew about them and try to be at them. For any random Taika news, I recommend Random Taikaness. :)

Thanks! #angel# #blowkiss#

ok #thumbsup# i´ll dellete it and put it in there
introinter2003
There's nothin' wrong

by emira » Wed May 30, 2012 6:28 pm

introinter2003 wrote:this message has moved. now it lives in Random Taikaness (I havent founf the way to dellete it..)

Hmmm... Can you see any buttons in the right top corner of your posts? There should be at least one with a cross. But you didn't have to deleted it! For anyone who would like to find what introinter2003 had posted about, it's here.

Sorry for confusing you! #shy#
emira

by introinter2003 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:17 am

Can you see any buttons in the right top corner of your posts?

I used to see this button when the board had the old design...now I can only see "Quote" and "Edit" buttons...I don´t know #shrug#

Sorry for confusing you! #shy#[/quote]

Don´t worry, i´m easy at getting confused :)
introinter2003
There's nothin' wrong

by introinter2003 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:20 am

emira wrote: introinter2003 had posted about, it's here

You can Call me Mon, I chose such an horrible username :(
introinter2003
There's nothin' wrong

Previous

Return to Taika Waititi