Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Super City

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by emira » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:29 am

Bits and pieces about Taika from an interview with Madeleine Sami:

Her best friends include Boy director Taika Waititi, Outrageous Fortune's Antonia Prebble and Bro' Town creator Oscar Kightley.

[...]

When she wasn't playing multiple personalities, Sami was holed up in a room with playwright Thomas Sainsbury and director Waititi.

[...]

When Waititi is in town, he, Sami and Kightley catch up. "We just joke around, have a bit of a drink and talk about ideas. Oscar's got a really similar sense of humour to Taika and I. He's very smart and very dry. Cool guy. I try to hang out with those guys whenever I can."

Full interview here
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:54 pm

emira

by emira » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:35 pm

The many faces of Madeleine Sami
Last updated 12:26 08/02/2011

KIMBERLEY ROTHWELL

Madeleine Sami; the girl who graced the cover of Metro magazine with a tiny, gorilla-suited Peter Jackson as she swung from the Sky Tower, the headline reading "Auckland Rules Ok! How Wellington is losing the culture wars", is sitting at Ernesto wearing a pair of dark sunglasses. It's the last day of the sound mix she's doing at Park Road Post, one of the film companies Sir Peter has his fingers in, for her new show Super City. It's surprising, one might think, that such a proud Aucklander would venture down to Sir Peter's stomping ground to put the final touches on a show that celebrates Auckland. Surprising they let her through the door.

"I totally forgot about that [Metro cover]!" she laughs. "I'm sure he would have had a sense of humour about it. It was quite a sensational article, deliberating stirring up some sort of argument. I think that article is more about Auckland finally having the confidence to say, 'hey we've actually got a bit of an arts thing going on here'."

That "arts thing" is one of the areas Sami touches on in Super City, a show in which she plays five characters from different points of the Auckland spectrum. There's Georgie, a homeless woman, who sleeps in the public library and dines at the city mission; Azeem, an Iranian immigrant with an out of control monobrow and a passion for all things Maori; Pasha, a promo girl and party animal who might be getting too old for her hot pants; Jo, a closeted gym instructor who's had highlights done on her pubic hair; and Linda, a well-meaning, wealthy ex-private school girl who's decided to become an arts patron.

Not only is Sami in practically every shot, she's also co-written the show. "I love, I embrace all that is wonderful about Auckland and everything that is gross. Within each character there is something that is gross and endearing about Auckland. A lot of the characters are deluded about who they are. Who they are clashes with what they want, and what they expect of themselves. They have this idea they are this one thing, but when we see them, it's so obvious to us they're another."

The production's been two years in the pipeline, with hours of research hanging around taxi drivers, cheerleaders, rough sleepers, art galleries and gyms. Some of the people they met have ended up in the show, including Paddy, Jo's fiance, who is really Sami's personal trainer. Even co-writer Tom Sainsbury made a cameo.

The tight budget - the show got just over a $1 million from New Zealand On Air - and the desire to take their time shooting, meant that many of the crew ended up with multiple roles. The shoot was kept as simple as possible, with Boy's Taika Waititi directing.

"Every crew member had about three jobs," says Sami. "Our unit [catering] girl Trish set up her table, but we didn't have a continuity person, so she'd be doing that while we were shooting, and then she'd go back and be making sure there were enough bananas, and cutting up carrots to hand around to everybody. I was doing casting and directing at one point, and writing music. We'd turn up to set and go 'oh shit! We forgot to cast that part'. It was really fun. We didn't want it to feel like a TV show, where people get really precious about their departments. This was like making it as easy as we could to just push record on the camera and shoot."

Sami wanted the script to act as a foundation for the story, as a launching point for any improvisation.

"Taika's really good with that as well, he loves guerilla-style film making. We would point and shoot and see what would come out. I always find that the most exciting stuff, when random stuff happens."

To create these characters, Sami's had to undergo some, shall we say, physical transformation. To become Azeem, she's donned not only a full beard but a monobrow that could have its own show.

"I'm obviously quite a delicate little woman, so we struggled with Azeem . . . we needed something that changed me quite a bit, a squarer jaw. If you're going to give me a moustache and a beard, we thought we'd go the whole hog, to balance out the face or something, I don't know. A lot of Iranian men were very clean shaven and very neat and tidy, so Azeem is quite scruffy."

There's also Pasha, who's bleach blonde, blue-eyed, and spray-tanned. "You know what, it's so funny how people change around you when you're blonde, blue-eyed and dress like a slut. Because people get crushes on you. I would get people flirting and hitting on me when I was dressed up like her. It was kind of disheartening, it's so cheap."

It's got to be a lot of pressure on the actress to have the show finally make it to the screen? "Am I going to poo? Is that what you're asking me? Yes. I will probably have a good, stiff drink in the morning."

The Details

What: Super City
When: Friday, 10pm
Where: TV3

- The Dominion Post

source
emira

by emira » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:16 am

TaikaWaititi: !!!!!!!!!!!! SUPER CITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The show had its premiere this Friday and from what I see on twitter, people loved it (at least those twitted by @supercitytv #haha#

madeleinesami: SUPERCITY IS A SHOW IT IS ON TONIGHT YOU'S SHOULD WATCH IT COS I AM IN IT AN IT WILL BE REALLY COOL AND IT HAS BOOBS AND NUDITY AND SWEARS.

Thanks Madeleine! you were awesome this morning. Come back and hang with us soon?

Dearest Madeleine - that was stunning! Funny, dark, arresting, brilliant. Congratulations. It was superb work by you all. J x

favourite new show.... Oooooooooh sheeeeet yes.

Loving Madeleine Sami's Jo in Super City! It's hard to keep in mind that she's actually straight!

Madeleine Sami, @madeleinesami is now trending in #Auckland http://trendsmap.com/nz/auckland

Madeleine Sami you are hilarious!! Wanna get a dog to name it 'Sad Guy' aha.

Sweated fucking ass off to get that Gaga track up - hype is real yo #BornThisWay - in other news @supercitytv kicks ass just as much..

that was freaking awesome, I loved it, well done!!!

#cheer#
emira

by emira » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 am

Morning Glory
Super City TV Show

MP3, 10m30s, 2.4MB, first broadcast 11 luty 2011

We hear about the new locally produced TV show Super City from Madeleine Sami, who plays five different characters, as well as writer and actor Tom Sainsbury.

95bFM

They're talking about Taika from 5:23 (I love how they're playing with his surname #lol# #love3# )
emira

by emira » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Promo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QncxQFYq1gA[/youtube]

Eugene's song #haha#

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmF6FfYZ-o[/youtube]
emira

by emira » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Taika's sketch of the publicity image.

Shooting opening scene of series with cheerleaders.

Shooting a scene in Dennys. Yes that is Taika holding a boom. It was a small multitasking crew but we did have a soundie.

source
emira

by emira » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Madeline Sami: Putting super in the city

This Kiwi star put in the hard yards playing five roles in the TV series she helped write

Eager to lure hot-shot director Taika Waititi to work on her new show, Madeleine Sami had to pull out all the stops.

The Kiwi actress knew she'd have to offer a lucrative deal to sign on the Boy director to her new show, Super City.

But after being assured he would be treated like a king and surrounded by a bevy of beauties, the Oscar-nominated filmmaker agreed to join his good friend on her quest for small-screen glory.

'I lured him with promises I could never fulfil,' Madeleine says. 'I told him we'd get him a deckchair on set, that he would be pampered, he'd have his own masseuse, everyone would call him "sir" and no one would look him in the eye.'

But Taika was prepared to take the job for their friendship – and the drawcard of directing a show filled with attractive talent.

'We decided early on that "babenessness" [good looks] should be compulsory for our crew,' Madeleine says, laughing. 'Just for when spirits are down and everyone's a bit tired, we could look at each other and go, "Hey, it's cool. We're all still babes."'

After years of playing second fiddle to the Bro'Town boys and Jaquie Brown, the raven-haired beauty takes all the leading roles in the new TV3 comedy-drama.

Take five

It follows the lives of five Auckland residents – Jo, a personal trainer, Azeem, an Iranian immigrant taxi driver, Linda, an art critic from the chic suburb of Parnell, Pasha, an ageing blonde Indian cheerleader, and Georgie, a homeless chick.

'I love Auckland so much,' Madeleine explains. 'Every aspect of it, the rich, the poor, the ethnic, the tacky, and the slutty. I wanted to combine all these bits into a show. And of course give myself all the main parts.'

However, taking on all five roles was a challenge for the actress of Indian and Irish heritage.

'It was confusing trying to remember who I was at the end of the shoot,' she says. 'It was exhausting. I was pretty much in every single scene, so it was definitely a test of my stamina.'

The project has consumed Madeleine's life since she wrote the script two years ago, with playwright Thomas Sainsbury. But while filming kept her from family and friends, it didn't come between her and her music.

Band of sisters

As she was shooting the series, Madeleine also found time to record an album with The Sami Sisters. The band features her and her two younger sisters, Anji, 28, and Priya, 23, who she managed to weave into the show.

'My sisters have a cameo as a band [on Super City]. But it's sort of blink-and-you-miss-it,' she says, adding they're going to be spending quality time together in the coming months.

'We're rehearsing a lot at the moment. We are practising for an album release, which should be in the next couple of months.'

Now with her show about to debut on TV3, the multi-talented star is focusing on reconnecting with those closest to her.

'I've had no life for the last two years. I'm starting to reconnect with my friends and family now,' Madeleine says. 'Ahh… it's nice to have a life back.'

By Tammy Buckley
• Super City screens on Fridays, 10pm, TV3

source
emira

by emira » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:41 pm

Super City Trailer 2: honorable mention of Taika Waitangi #haha#
emira

by emira » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Super City Episode 5 6

In this week's season finale Georgie attempts a normal life; Jo comes out; Pasha's party spirit reignites; Linda lets loose on the ladies; and Azeem gets the surprise of a life time.

#cry# #sadlove#
emira

by emira » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:16 am

Last Friday ran the last episode of Super City, but....

Super City: Catch up on all the episodes of Super City at TV3 ondemand for the next two weeks! Then stand by for the DVD full of deleted scenes, bloopers & commentaries.

source

DVD! #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited#
emira

by emira » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:38 pm

Taika is discussing the plans of bringing Super City to the US, "a version on it" in this interview.

interesting... #cheer# for a new-old project!
emira

by emira » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:40 am

Madeleine Sami has just won the best actress award at the Aotearoa Film & Television Awards! #clap# #squee#
emira

by emira » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:46 am

The wait is over! The Super City DVD is available online to order now and will be exclusively at JB HI FI stores from tomorrow. Packed with extras including: deleted scenes, bloopers, commentaries and a play by character bonus disk.

It's not zoned and you can order it from here. #excited#

ADD

I heard JB HiFi don't ship abroad, but definitely they ship the DVD from here.
emira

by emira » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:55 am

A piece of news from a couple of months ago, but yay! it's about time for some updates! :P

Hit show Super City to be adapted for US TV
5:02 PM Wednesday Apr 25, 2012

The hit Kiwi television show Super City is reportedly being adapted for American TV.

The satire show, starring New Zealand actor Madeleine Sami and directed by Taika Waititi, featured Sami playing five different characters all living in Auckland; a cheerleader, a homeless girl, an Iranian taxi driver, a party animal, a lesbian gym instructor and a woman fostering impoverished artists.

It aired on TV3 last year and US entertainment website Deadline today reported the show had been picked up by American network ABC.

The show would go by the same name and Sami - who has previously appeared in The Jaquie Brown Diaries and Sione's Wedding - would write and star in the American production.

Waititi - who directed Boy and Eagle vs. Shark - would direct it.

Sami won the Aotearoa Film and Television best actress award for the show and won best comedy script from the Scriptwriters Association.

NZ Herald

And this has just been tweeted by Madeleine, so I'm guessing they're shooting the show! #cheer#

15 hour shoot zombies

emira

PreviousNext

Return to Taika Waititi