Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Random Taikaness

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by gezyka » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:39 pm

This is for anything Taika-related that doesn't fit in any of the other threads, yet doesn't warrant its own. Also, any interviews/articles that cover pretty much everything can go here.

Taika and sources on the interwebs:

Twitter

Tumblr

instagram

MySpace

IMDb

NZ On Screen

Wikipedia
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:16 am

Page 1:

giggletycoon wrote:Taika Waititi is a frequent collaborator with the Conchords. He directed Jemaine in Eagle vs. Shark, and also directed two of my favorite episodes of the show (New Fans and Drive By, he wrote Drive By too).

Taika was in a sketch comedy duo with Jemaine called the Humourbeasts. He rose to prominence with his short film Two Cars One Night, which garnered him an Academy Award nomination. His next film, after Eagle vs. Shark, will be a feature length movie based on that short (called The Volcano I think?).

He seems like a really talented and funny guy and I look forward to what he does next.

Here are a few interviews with him:

http://www.filmstew.com/ShowArticle.aspx?ContentID=16073
http://idealog.co.nz/magazine/september-october-2007/features/disneys-kiwi-misfits
http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/3324/features/1354/taika_waititi.html

*boom-queen* wrote:I love Taika...he is a very attractive man...and brilliant at what he does writing/directing. He's definately cool in my books...and that means...not much lol

Amily wrote:Awesome.. thanks for making this thread Laura... we always intended to do one for Taika from day one but over time just kinda forgot I guess.. I also agree.. he's pretty sexy too. Extremely talented and I can't wait to see his future work. He's definitely got a fan out of me... oh and thanks for all the pics too.. some I've never seen before. *right click saves*
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:26 am

Page 2:

chrissycubana wrote:omg - look what i found!!!

http://www.amazon.com/DAS-I-Love-Taika-Mug/dp/B000HNA20S/ref=sr_1_45?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1221981557&sr=1-45

it's a reference to the maker of these cute little china dishes and cups but i think we all know which taika we truly love ;)

Amily wrote:
Taika Waititi: The Finest of Homecomings

Taika Waititi is shooting The Volcano, a full-length redux of Two Cars, One Night, in March. The setting: beautiful Waihau Bay, where Taika grew up and Tama Poata/Barry Barclay’s awesome Ngati was shot.

ALEXANDER BISLEY asked Taika five quick questions.

How do you represent the East Coast?

Te Whanau a Apanui is my Iwi. I think the fact grew up on the Coast means it is always somehow affecting the work I do. It’s the same with the city too. I guess having a city and country upbringing was a real benefit – experiencing the best and worst of both worlds has influenced my artistic and social tastes.

What do you want the audience to take away from your work?

A receipt. Actually because my films will never be huge hits I have to rely on reaching smaller niche audiences. This is fine though, as reaching anyone and changing something about their outlook is great. My films have certain qualities most mainstream audiences aren’t used to and therefore they won’t appeal to everyone. But if I can at least find a small group who get something out of them then I’m happy. I like hearing from people now and then who really identify with the characters or themes in my work. I think success should be measured by how people get the film, not how much money it makes. Film is not a financially secure medium so I’m not really in it for the money.

Your Flight of the Conchords episode on racism was sensational. How do you think race relations are in New Zealand? How are things for Maori?

I think things are getting better for Maori but New Zealand is still a racist environment. The people who get upset by that comment are usually the ones who don’t understand or recognise this racism. And it’s not just against Maori either. There is a lot of reverse racism and follow on prejudice that is projected onto smaller minority groups. It’s easy to believe it isn’t there but it is. Just look at the way the press handles news involving Polynesian and Maori.

What are our key social issues?

Well it’s different for everyone. If you want to talk about Maori social issues then we’d talk about poverty, alcoholism, Treaty issues and the Foreshore debacle. If you want to talk about Pakeha we’d talk about immigrants with cultural identity issues. If you want something that encompasses everyone then I would say environmental issues are key right now.

What are New Zealand strengths over other countries? Why make art here?

A foreigner accurately described New Zealand as “a hive of mediocrity”. I agree with this statement because I believe we celebrate the mundane. Our artists get away with a lot when it comes to non-innovative creativity. I think this is one of the main reasons people leave; there just isn’t the support to nurture the risk-taking needed in art. When people who are responsible for the funding or production of new art fail to push the boundaries or take risks then we have to settle for boring, middle of the road results.

» 06.10.08 / Film Feature

Source
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:27 am

gezyka wrote:
Taika Waititi

No sugar needed

by: Barry Walsh
Oct 1, 2008

It is enough to make one feel extremely inadequate. While many of us trundle through life lucky to have one skill that we can exploit for a paycheck, there are others who seem to have been pummeled with the big end of the talent stick. File New Zealand-born Taika Waititi in the latter camp.

A director-comedian-painter-photographer-actor, he's the sort of artist that the hyphen was invented for. Accolades have met practically every endeavor, ranging from an Academy Award nomination for his 2005 short Two Cars, One Night to the Billy T award, an honor bestowed upon New Zealand comedians, which he received as part of the comic duo Humourbeasts with Jemaine Clement.

Having directed Clement in episodes of HBO's Flight of the Conchords, he's turned his talents to commercials, repped by Hungry Man internationally. His first spots out of the gate were absurd, pop culture-skewing mini-musicals for Pot Noodle: "Moussaka Rap" and "I Wish (Girls Were More Like Pot Noodle)". Currently, Waititi is prepping for The Volcano, his second feature (the first being 2007's Eagle vs. Shark). But if you want to meet with him over coffee to discuss a project, be sure to read the potentially ass-saving information below.

What's the one essential item that you must have on set?

A crew.

If you could have a dinner party with any three people, who would they be and what would be the one personal anecdote that you'd tell that would completely blow their minds?
James Dean, Humphrey Bogart and Marilyn Monroe at a late-night diner. Humphrey and Jimmy would be playing pool while Marilyn would make cocktails behind the bar. I'd tell them that they are all actually dead and this scenario isn't real, it's just part of a series of questions I was asked for Boards.

What's the worst thing that's happened to you on set so far?
This one time I was given a coffee and it had a little bit of sugar in it. Well, I don't usually take sugar so you can imagine my surprise! It turns out that the coffee had been made for someone else and was accidentally been served to me. Well, we fired the person responsible and thankfully her replacement was more capable. It's just one of those things that goes with the job, I guess. Anyway, it was ages ago and I've moved on. I can actually kind of laugh about it now!

What's the one piece of advice you'd been given and are most relieved that you didn't take?
"Why don't you just DIE?"

Source

Amily wrote:I don't think he is ever serious. I love it. <3
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:35 am

Page 3:

gezyka wrote:I don't know if you guys have seen this, but since it's not already in this thread, I thought I'd add it. This is the commercial that is on tv right before Albi in Ep. 7:

"With phones, YOU make the call!" haha :P

Katie wrote:Weird... on the version of that commercial that plays in the episode, don't they have NZ accents?

In the second "cut" photo, I love how Loren does not appear amused. She must be used to it. ;)

laura wrote:
Katie wrote:Weird... on the version of that commercial that plays in the episode, don't they have NZ accents?

Yeah that's what I was thinking too - very odd. ???

gezyka wrote:Now I feel the need to rewatch that part because I don't remember...

Oops...I think I was wrong! You guys are right about the NZ accent, but the guy says, "Coming up at 8:00, we have an episode of 'What Have You Done to My House?"

I remember seeing the phone commercial on their tv once though!

*investigating...*

Found it!!! It's right after the scene when Murray tells them he's writing a song "Hi...", "I like pie..." etc. when they cut to Bret and Jemaine's apartment. And yes, their accents are different from that clip I posted! weird.

I know you were all probably very anxious for my findings. :P

Amily wrote:That is weird that they don't have the NZ accents in this one... but great find Jess. :P

chickenkarma wrote:maybe the person that uploaded dubbed his own voice over track.

maybe?

Amily wrote:It does look like super bad voice overs... I never really noticed how the lips moved with the voices on the show version... will have to pay attention next time I watch it.

thedistantfuture wrote:Wtf?! I kind of like the dubbed version. Just because it does not fit at all. But it's definitely not the version that appears in the episode.
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:07 am

gezyka wrote:OMG...if he's equal with Bret and Jemaine in my books, what do I call myself??

A Taikbi-Conchordian?? Tai-Conchordian. :P :P

(had to emphasize this momentous occasion :P)

gezyka wrote:I never realized this due to obvious distractions, but the guy on the right is Taika!

[image]
Photographer's caption: I took this pic of the boys before they became famous outside of nz, for a promo shot of them appearing at the Melbourne Comedy Festival, I think around 1995 or 1996.

1995 or 1996?? :o They were BABIES!!

If only those other guys would scat (doesn't say who they are), we'd have a nice topless photo of the three of 'em... :P

gezyka wrote:And, oh lordy...
"Taika Waititi was born in Aug 75"
[image]
He drew it for us in photoshop

gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:21 am

blondesnotbombs wrote:New blog!

OBAMA IS THE NEW BLACK
Sunday, November 16, 2008

Alright I’ll tell you. I’m in New York.

Obama is probably the coolest person I’ve ever not really cared about until realising how cool he is. Y’know? I actually believe he has been put on this planet to save it. I know I’ll have moments of disappointment but I really think he should run for God. He’s got what it takes.

Every now and then I shiver a little bit when I realise these people are going to have a black president. It’s funny, things had to get so desperate for them that they would consider it. What next - gay rights? Probably not until the next recession. Anyway, the election mood/fever has died down a bit but there’s still a sort of post-coital glaze over the eyes of the American people. Like when you’ve just had amazing sex but you’re not quite sure if he/she is going to stick around and you’re paranoid they’ll never never call again. Barack, you better call these people for a follow up date - dinner and a movie works. Do it!

Anyway America, all is forgiven, you were a bunch of 'uck-ups for 8 years but now you’re the hottest people on Earth.

http://thewire.co.nz/taika/2008/11/16/obama-is-the-new-black/

Hmmmm. I wonder what he could be doing in New York? Image

gezyka wrote:This is at the end of his blog entry:

Oh, Taika. Can I be Loren, please?

Added Bonus: having really cool hair.
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:39 am

sargifster wrote:
[image]

"A giant $1.32 million illuminated fish hook celebrating the legend of Maui is planned for Wellington's northern entrance."

"The Hook of Maui project has the support of local iwi, including the Wellington Tenths Trust and Ngati Kahungunu. Wellington City Council has contributed $666,000 toward the gateway sculpture project since it was first suggested more than five years ago. The rest of the money has come from private donations. Te Matau a Maui features a 35-metre tower embedded on the harbour side of the motorway above the Hutt Valley railway tunnel between Ngauranga and Kaiwharawhara and a 14-metre hook coming out of the other side of the road. A laser would pierce the night sky from the top of the shaft to symbolise a fishing line.

And not only that - it’s got impeccable designer credentials - no less than Taika Waititi, Megan Wraight, and Claude Hibder."

Is there anything this guy doesn't do? ;D ;D ;D

Source: http://eyeofthefish.org/hook-of-the-fish/

Also: http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominionpost/4783819a23918.html

sargifster wrote:
hellomyfriend wrote:I sincerely admit this was the absolute LAST thing I was expecting to see.

I'm sorry... :P :P ;D but I thought it was relevant... ;D

It may not be a beautiful picture of Taika, but it is educational... :P

*goes off to make a Bret gif, so as to not cause Nikki too much disappointment* ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:46 am

The Birth of Kiwis we love in sweater vests #love3#

(umm...of the thread, not the actual people. Image )

gezyka wrote:Now I feel like a thread devoted to sexy half-Maori men in sweater vests can be created:

:-* :-* :-*

hellomyfriend wrote:Um ... hot. :o

Wow. Is this a trend I'm unaware of? I hope someone starts a website called halfmaorikiwisinsweatervests.com

gezyka wrote:
hellomyfriend wrote:
gezyka wrote:More urgent request: halfmaorikiwisinbirthdaysuits.com

;) ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

halfmaorikiwisandwhitekiwisiftheyrenamedbretmckenzieinbirthdaysuits.com

LOVE IT. ;D ;D

abbr. site: hmkawkitrbmibs.com Image

ADD: I like how "kawk" appears in the abbreviated version. It's a sign. :o

gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:04 am

Discussion about the meaning of his name...

solveig wrote: :o
Oh, I didn´t know Taika Waititi was such a fine looking young man!
First time I saw the name I just assumed it´s a woman.. :-[
Taika in finnish means magic and it´s also a woman´s name, so you see, I ..er.. well, yis. Sorry.
But now I know better. ::) Live and learn..
Thanks. ;)

hellomyfriend wrote:
Amily wrote:He's definitely magic...... ;)

In my pants!

solveig wrote:
gezyka wrote:haha, Nikki!! In mine too, in mine too...

I wonder if Waititi means anything in Maori?

Magic Waititi..haha

With a little help from http://www.maoridictionary.co.nz :

wai = (noun) water, juice, liquid.
titi = (loan) (noun) teat, titty, nipple, titi.

Sooo, Magic Juice Nipple?
Maybe not.

Oh, and Taika means a tiger in maori. ;)
Roar.
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:11 am

gezyka wrote:

conchordsnet I need a kiwi friend stat.. taika waititi and jemaine clement creating show for new zealand tv! link to follow! 6minutes ago

http://twitter.com/conchordsnet/status/1286238273

ADD: Link to thread in Jemaine's section: http://www.fotcmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=1 ... f345d5f50f

gezyka wrote:Cross-posting from Bret's section:

drunkagain wrote:Bret & Taika Performance on NZ Radio 3/15/09

Sundays, from 3:06 pm to 4:00 pm.

The Sunday Drama celebrates the best of New Zealand's writing and performance. As well as original works written for radio, you can hear dramatic adaptations of novels and stage plays as well as sampling some of the finest radio drama and comedy from around the world.

Coming Up
15 March 2009
Live Transmission: Only Sukkie Bubbas Use Laser Guns

Live Transmission: Only Sukkie Bubbas Use Laser Guns is written and performed by Adam Gardiner, Brett McKenzie and Taika Cohen.

A comedy science fiction, the story is of an unholy love between man and machine set against an alien invasion.

Recorded in front of an audience at Bats Theatre, Wellington, all the music, sound effects and characters are created and performed live.

source: http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/sundaydrama
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:12 am

gezyka wrote:
Hillary Scholarship for film student
Wednesday, 11 March 2009, 1:13 pm
Press Release: University of Waikato

Media Release
March 11, 2009

Hillary Scholarship for film student who’s gone back to her roots

A focus on finding out more about her East Coast roots has won Waikato University student Bonnie Frires a prestigious Hillary Scholarship – and it’s opened the doors to work on a new film by acclaimed Kiwi actor-director Taika Cohen.

The Tauranga-based East Coaster recently completed her first documentary film about an old church in Raukokore, where her family originates from. The film was an assignment for her honours degree in Screen and Media studies.

“Raukokore Church has been perched on a rugged coastline for 115 years, and it’s the hub of the local community,” says Frires. “My film aims to portray its historical and spiritual importance, and it’s also been a way for me to reconnect with my origins.”

Frires, whose iwi affiliation is Te Whanau A Apanui, is one of about 50 new Hillary Scholars at Waikato. The Sir Edmund Hillary Scholarship Programme, offered since 2005, awards scholarships to academic high achievers who show significant leadership qualities and also excel in sport or in the creative and performing arts. The prestigious scholarships provide full university course fees while studying at Waikato, comprehensive support for the recipients’ academic, sporting and/or arts activities, and additional support in leadership and personal development.

“Winning the scholarship is a huge weight off my shoulders,” says Frires. “It means I can complete my honours year without worrying about money. And it’s also given me a sense of achievement in my studies and my chosen career path.”

Frires has now been appointed third assistant director on a new feature film The Volcano, set in Waihau Bay and directed by Taika Cohen (Eagle vs Shark). Shooting begins this month.

“A lot of the cast are children, and my job is to look after them and ensure the film stays on schedule and runs smoothly,” says Frires, who has previously worked as a production assistant on a Dutch film, Bride Flight, which was shot in New Zealand.

She’ll be based on the East Coast until shooting finishes at the end of May “so I’ll be doing my next Honours paper over the internet”.

For the future, Frires is hoping her Honours degree will help secure her work in advertising so she can travel overseas. “But my focus at the moment is work associated with my Maori heritage and culture.”

Source: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0903/S00162.htm

[image]
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:17 am

About his heritage...

tanfastic wrote:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0169806/

Taika is listed as Taika Cohen on imdb. What's that about? An honorary Cohen brother? Sorry if it's been brought up before, I don't have the energy to go thru 15 pgs...

shianne517 wrote:I think he's Jew. That's all I know. ;D

gezyka wrote:His mother's last name is Cohen. :) (he's half Maori and half Jewish)

Here's a bit about that:

The Kiwi Cohen

Eagle v. Shark , a quirky comedy from New Zealand, opened on Friday, July 6, in select theaters. The movie is about a charming young woman who takes a fancy to a rather unlikable young man. The title refers to the outfits they wear to a costume party they go to on their first date.

The film is directed by Taika Waititi , 28, who alternately bills himself as Taika Cohen. Waititi is Taika's Maori father's surname, while Cohen is his Jewish mother's last name. A multi-talented guy, Taika uses his father's name for his work as a photographer and musician. He uses "Cohen" for his work as an actor, writer and film director. He says he does this to "avoid being typecast as a Maori artist, as opposed to a Maori in the arts."

The Maori, the original Polynesian inhabitants of New Zealand, impressed the British settlers who colonized New Zealand in the 19th century. The Maoris' skin tone is relatively light and they were fierce warriors who often managed to fight the British to a standstill. These factors combined to convince many British that the Maoris must not be just another "inferior" non-white aboriginal people, but rather descendants of the 10 lost tribes of Israel.

Cohen recently told a group of Los Angeles reporters that his parents didn't really practice any religion, except for observing a few Jewish holidays. He then added one odd detail: his father's Maori tribe (but not his father) practices a "homegrown" religion, called Binatu, which combines some traditional Maori religious practices with a belief in what Christians refer to as the "Old Testament" (or simply the Bible to Jews). Influenced by some 19th century British Christian missionaries, Binatu followers maintain that they are descendants of the 10 lost tribes.

Source: http://www.interfaithfamily.com/arts_and_entertainment/popular_culture/Interfaith_Celebrities_Kyra_Sedgwick_Baseballs_Braun-y_Interfaith_Rookie_and_a_Jewish_Maori_Director.shtml

:D

sidenote: his IMDb profile now lists him as Taika Waititi even though most of his credits have "(as Taika Cohen)" by them. This change was recent, I think (it's June 2010 right now).
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:18 am

gezyka wrote:Taika did this!! #loveeyes# #loveeyes# #loveeyes#

Long exposure
By Gena Tuffery, about a year ago
Originally published in Idealog #14, page 88

Exposure Lifestyles discovers deadlines

Masthead optional: Taika Waititi’s cover for Exposure Lifestyles

If you’re well-versed in New Zealand music you probably know all about Exposure Lifestyles. If you’re not, don’t worry—the little Kiwi music mag is about to go through a Shapeshifting Conchord Dawn.

For two years Exposure has stood out from the rest of the free music mags on the café counter with its authentic interviews and photos of New Zealand’s creative cream undertaken by authentic muso photographer, Pat Shepherd.

The only problem was when the mags were gone, fans had a long period of staring at empty counter space. Now Shepherd aims to fill the space by turning his attention to Exposure full-time. “My hope is that this publication will be a documentation of a moment in time and that you will put it away on a shelf somewhere, only to bring it out years down the line to see what has changed,” he says.

What, like Brett McKenzie of Flight of the Conchords fame? In issue one, circa 2006, McKenzie understated: “I’m leaving for the Americas to work on a Flight of The Conchords TV pilot. I’m going to be living in LA for a few months.” He then overstated the joy he got out of performing at a “punk-funk” gig: “That was 'ucking loooose. After the show there was blood on my computer.”

Gems like this drip from the pages of Exposure, largely due to the mag’s no-editing policy. “A lot of creatives are so good with words they’re like poets anyway,” says Shepherd. “So we publish it exactly how they want to say it.”

Look for a battle of mythical creatures on your café counter (and at www.exposurelifestyles.com) at the end of February—otherwise identified as your Taika Waititi-drawn cover of the new and highly regular Exposure.

Source: http://idealog.co.nz/magazine/march-april-2008/workshop/long-exposure

You can view PDFs of the issues here: http://www.exposurelifestyles.com/

gezyka wrote:More from Exposure Lifestyles!

#rofl# #rofl# #rofl# :o #ded# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

And this is where this is from (right, Laura? #aziz# ):

#inlove#
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:28 am

Birth of The Phoenix Foundation thread:

emira wrote:"The Polish guy is a total retard..."

I wonder if Luke or rather Łukasz speaks Polish. I'm sure his parents do.

Is The Phoenix Foundation too far from the Conchords to start its thread here?

gezyka wrote:Not at all!
I've actually been meaning to start a thread for them here for ages.
Go for it!

emira wrote:Oh, I havent' thought that I should start it but since you've encouraged me to do it I feel honoured .

And I need a couple of days to gather some thoughts and information and I'll do it at the weekend, if you don't mind ;).

emira wrote:
sargifster wrote:
Phoenix Foundation thread!

I guess I'll have some support.

gezyka wrote:Taika would approve.

ADD:

gezyka

Next

Return to Taika Waititi