Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Random Taikaness

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by gezyka » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:50 pm

emira wrote:Nonch pointed me out to this video with Taika as a part-time model the night before Eagle vs Shark premiere (he's at about 6:30 min into the video and then at the very end of it).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5uPBw6sez0[/youtube]
Menswear Fashion Show,White Label Launch NZ-
Nektar Films:Wellington, NZ
DJ Kava: selections
San Fran Bathhouse, Wellington, NZ 20/7/07

and a photo from Mandatory Menswear fb album, Behind the Scenes

#loveeyes# #haha#

These seem to be from that as well. :)

gezyka wrote:And look out...it's Runway Taika!

ADD: For those curious, here's where the runway pics came from: http://texture.co.nz/blogs/reviews/archi....20th-july. aspx
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by emira » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Oh yeah, I remember those photos! Thanks for putting these things together now. #aziz# #glomp#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Waititi upset as NZ film awards cancelled
By John Weekes
5:30 AM Sunday Jul 15, 2012

Taika Waititi wants to celebrate filming. Photo / Martin Sykes

Taika Waititi is gutted that the New Zealand film industry will not stage an awards ceremony this year.

Industry leaders say they simply can't afford to hold a ceremony after their controversial split from the television awards this year.

Despite Kiwi films achieving at the world's major awards ceremonies, including the Academy Awards, locally shot productions such as Two Little Boys, starring Bret McKenzie, will not receive recognition at home.

"It's a bit of a shame because it's nice to celebrate any achievements," said Waititi, who smashed domestic box-office records for his 2010 movie Boy. "It's such an achievement making a film and finishing one, I think to be able to celebrate that even just by going out with other filmmakers is quite a nice thing."

The local industry's lack of cash was in stark contrast to the budgets of Emperor and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The combined budget of these films, both shot in New Zealand this year, were estimated at more than $300m.

The film makers split from the Aotearoa Film & Television Awards, amid complaints that the TV stars were hogging the limelight.

Screen Directors' Guild executive director Anna Cahill said the film industry had discussions since the split but no firm progress was made. "We would've liked to continue but we were too stretched resources-wise, in terms of man hours in the office."

Cahill said it would take about eight months to organise an awards comparable to the AFTAs. Even if a major sponsor wanted to bankroll a 2012 film function, it was probably too late, Cahill said.

"I just don't think it's likely that there are going to be any this year."

NZ Film Commission spokeswoman Gina Rogers said the commission would support a film awards night, but leadership in organising the event was needed.

"If someone wants to lead on this then we're very keen to get behind them," Rogers said.

"We'd be keen to talk to them about providing support." This support could include logistical and financial backing.

Rogers said big awards functions offered the industry multiple benefits. "It celebrates New Zealand, it highlights New Zealand film, and it recognises excellence in New Zealand film."

The TV industry has already secured sponsors for an awards function in November.

NZ Herald

That is really so sad! Sounds like no one wants to take the responsibility for the ceremony? No one cares? #shrug# #shakefist#
emira

by emira » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:29 pm

A bit of old news, but I've just found out that Taika was in a NYICFF 2012 jury in March. #love3#
emira

by emira » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:25 am

Tropfest NZ has new Boy on board

Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 - 14:04

Tropfest NZ continues to attract the support of key film industry players who are keen to celebrate the Festival’s arrival to New Zealand shores. Today the Festival proudly welcomes aboard Academy Award nominee, Taika Waititi, as an official Ambassador of Tropfest NZ.

Waititi achieved international success with his first short film, Two Cars, One Night and drew more critical acclaim with his next short film Tama Tu.

He then went on to direct and star in the smash hit Boy, which is still the highest grossing locally made film in New Zealand history.

"Taika is a great example of how a short film can launch a filmmaker’s career. We are thrilled to have Taika join Tropfest New Zealand and be an inspiration to other Kiwi directors," says Tropfest Founder and Director, John Polson.

"Short films are an incredible learning ground where aspiring filmmakers can play and make mistakes, things that are key to becoming a filmic story-teller," says Waititi.

"To make a film you must have passion and bringing Tropfest to our country can help showcase the work that so many talented New Zealander’s are capable of," he adds.

The NZ Film Commission has also offered its support to Tropfest NZ.

"We are excited to see the well-regarded and popular Tropfest extended to New Zealand shores. This Short Film Festival provides a great opportunity for emerging talent to showcase their work and take advantage of Tropfest's stellar international connections. We wish Tropfest New Zealand every success," says Graeme Mason, Chief Executive NZ Film Commission.

To find out more on how to enter Tropfest NZ and register your interest in making a film visit http://www.tropfest.com/nz.

About Tropfest NZ

Tropfest NZ will present its first stand-alone short film festival on Sunday 27th January 2013, at the TSB Bowl of Brooklands in New Plymouth. Open to the public and free to attend, this event has been designed to encourage Kiwi filmmakers from the grassroots level up.

Tropfest NZ ambassadors include actors Sam Neill, Martin Henderson and Robyn Malcolm, Taika Waititi, director/producer/actor Katie Wolfe and director/screenwriter Vincent Ward.

Entries are now being accepted. You must be a New Zealand citizen or resident to enter. Films must be no longer than seven minutes (including titles and credits) and must contain Tropfest’s Signature Item (TSI). Competition details can be found at http://www.tropfest.com/nz.

A filmmaker’s prize package is offered. The winner will receive return economy tickets to Los Angeles, 5 days accommodation and $500 cash courtesy of the Motion Picture Association (MPA) and The New Zealand Federation Against Copyright Theft (NZFACT).

About Tropfest

Tropfest began twenty years ago when Director John Polson showed a six-minute film he made for under $100 at his local café (‘The Tropicana’) in Sydney for 200 friends and family. Since then Tropfest has become recognised as one of the world's most exciting launch-pads for emerging filmmakers.

Tropfest is known for securing the support of some of the biggest names in the international film community including Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Geoffrey Rush and Liev Schreiber.

Tropfest recently launched in Arabia and in the USA with Tropfest Las Vegas and Tropfest New York.

Voxy
emira

by emira » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:10 pm

I hope it would mean The Humourbeasts reunion. #pray# #excited2#
emira

by emira » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:25 am

Some relations from watching Taika's presentation at We Can Create in Auckland on 27 October '12

Taika Waititi’s presentation at the We Can Create design conference yesterday didn’t start out so well.

He’d lost a very important piece of paper, the sound tech wasn’t working, and the relatively famous creator of BOY looked dazed in the auditorium full of design and creative professionals.

“Hello, I don’t know why I’m here or what I can teach you”, started his promising keynote, paraphrased slightly.

“I’m not a designer like the people that came up before me. Maybe I should have created my own font. HelveTAIKA anyone?”

I wasn’t sure if he was confused, unprepared, hung over, or just Taika.

Then he took off his shoes, sat down, and gave one of the best presentations I’ve seen at an event like WeCanCreate.

Taika was right, he wasn’t like the designers on stage before him. He just told stories.

He just took the audience through his inspirations (his artist father, and naive painter Henri Rosseau), his pet peeves (cancer, Kiwiana), and his adventures.

Stories like his obsession with drawing swastikas as a kid wasn’t uncommon (don’t worry, he felt so guilty about it he’d turn them into little windows).

Neither were doodles and paintings of mechanical bunnies, and an assortment of families and strangers riding dolphins.

All the while regaling the audience with his different side projects in acting, writing, directing work that he enjoys so much

It might seem to some that he was just rambling and filling time with ADHD-fuelled anecdotes, but to me he was giving these graphic designers, advertising creatives, professional artists and students hope that success doesn’t have to equal money.

“For me success is getting to do projects with my friends,” says Waititi.

“Success isn’t money, I think people know that by now but forget sometimes.”

His presentation was an excellent way to end a thought provoking day on design. We Can Create had a German duo of art psychologists, advertisers mixing art and science, a font creator with an affinity for swear words, an illustrator obsessed with the female form, and political activists with no regard for an artist’s hard work.

It was tumeke choice bro, but Taika Waititi says he hates Kiwiana so maybe I’ll just say it was pretty cool. A++++ would recommend again.

Aucklandia

[video from TEDx Doha talk]

If you’ve seen the above, you’ve basically seen Taika Waititi’s talk. He dicked around for five minutes in some inexplicable combination of awkward comedy and flat-out awkwardness – to the point where people walked out – then finally got into it and provided the most laughs of the day. The main new material was hysterical examples of the drawings he’s been doing for his Kickstarter rewards (famously delayed in delivery, as noted in the papers lately; “Never do a Kickstarter”, advised Waititi), and some clips from his new vampire film shot in Wellington and co-written with Jemaine Clement. The presentation space wasn’t very forgiving to the darkly-shot material, but it seemed like his signature mix of cleverness and stupidity, much less polished than BOY. He’s self-funding the film and will own it at the end; I got the impression that BOY was a bruising process, and that this is a retreat to safer, more nurturing creative environment.

Circle of Quality

#excited2# especially the last part about the clips from his new movie #excited2#
emira

by emira » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:20 pm

One more from We Can Create,

Taika Waititi by Corinne Smith

“I’m not a designer like the people that came up before me. Maybe I should have created my own font. HelveTAIKA anyone?”

Taika’s presentation started off awkwardly and continued on to be a mash-up of his Ted Talk and his talk at SemiPermanent in 2006. Despite seeing his talk six years ago, I still really enjoyed his presentation. Waititi is a likeable down to earth kiwi guy, even taking his shoes off and sitting casually on the couch. He had the audience in hysterics when sharing new material – his ongoing sketches for people who kindly pledged his Kickstarter campaign to get Boy distributed in the USA. Although, I did wonder what the international speakers were thinking during this… as without knowing his full accomplishments (and appreciating the kiwi humour) it could have come across as an awkward ramblings.

Like fellow New Zealander Sarah Maxey, Waititi strongly admires self-taught artists, proudly sharing his father’s work. He loves that his father paints what he wants to without any concern for what others think or outside influences, sharing that his father doesn’t want to sell his painting, preferring to keep them himself so he can continue to appreciate them.

Waititi briefly touched on what he is well known for, and instead focused on his passions as a kid and experiences that led him to where he is today. “Success isn’t money, I think people know that by now but forget sometimes.” – again, another reoccurring theme for the day. He believes “For me success is getting to do projects with my friends,” which is exactly what he has done on his latest project, a self-funding comedic vampire film with Jemaine Clement.

He didn’t know why he was at WCC or what he could teach us. I disagree, and believe his presentation (despite what you thought of how it was delivered) displayed a strong theme of passion and the desire to be in a position to produce self-initiated creative projects that are financially viable, all while ‘being your own boss’.

Design Assembly
emira

by emira » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:50 am

Taika presenting awards at the Vodafone NZ Music Awards in Vector Arena on 1st November '12

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fALzDsxB2cw[/youtube]

;)

Taika on fashion

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jve7FcEhxoc[/youtube]
emira

by emira » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Taika Waititi used to write for a sadly defunct blog called The Wire, circa 2008:

Respect China!!! X

—-

I’m in Auckland.

It’s boring. Everyone’s either gay or talking about it. And all the mum’s drive stupid big cars and they all wear tapa cloth hats n’ shit and say “Kiaora for that, thanks” in their faux university accents. And all the guys talk about the fuckin’ iphone and how much fuckin’ RAM or GigaTwats it has. And everyone’s favourite thing to do is stand around in public masturbating (literally) into their own mouths and then swishing it all around and then picking up their dumb girlfriends on their vespas and going down to SPQR for a root in the toilets. And all the grandmas are all fuckin’ dead n’ shit. Everyone’s all fuckin’ having gay babies and everyone thinks that just ’cause they’ve been on shortland street they’re now fuckin’ actors n’ shit. And Madeleine Sami and her sisters always pretend their from Otara or some shit but they’re from Remuera, I saw their mansion, lying bitches. And Jonny Brugh is all like, “Oooh, are you gonna drink that cum ’cause I’m feeling peckish”. And I’m like “get your own!” Anyway, I’ve been trying to buy a car for the last week and I only just realised I have nowhere to go so what’s the point? Thanks for reading this. I’m off to eat some organic spew and suck off a rice milk chinacino. Then it’s off to SPQR for a toilet root. X

tumblr
emira

by emira » Thu May 23, 2013 3:20 pm

emira

by emira » Fri May 24, 2013 4:16 am

emira

by Chloue » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:18 pm

He looks so much better/hotter now (than on the "Taika runway" pictures) imo!! *fans self*
Chloue
I like to rock the party!

by Zabel » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:17 pm

gezyka wrote:And look out...it's Runway Taika!

ADD: For those curious, here's where the runway pics came from: http://texture.co.nz/blogs/reviews/archi....20th-july. aspx

He was still a good looking guy back then, but he has definitely improved with age.
Zabel
I'm not crying

Previous

Return to Taika Waititi