Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Taika-directed shorts

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by gezyka » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:37 pm

This is the home for Taika's shorts that aren't Tama Tu or Two Cars. ;)

... Waititi says he still enjoys projects ‘that you can finish in a month’, so will continue to make shorts and participate in the 48 Hour Film Festival. ‘The 48 Hour festival is an opportunity to have the most freedom, to challenge yourself, to make something fresh. It’s invigorating and liberating, there’s a certain joy in knowing the outcome is inevitably going to be shii and just going with it.’ ...

Script to Screen: The Writer's Room

Thread contents chronologically:
Heinous Crime and Falling Leaves (2004)
Slade in Full (2006)
Arab Samurai (2007)
ONEDREAMRUSH (2009)
The White Tiger (2009)
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:58 am

Heinous Crime and Falling Leaves (2004)

liverz wrote:http://www.nzshortfilm.com/film,1540,play,1838.sm

+ Loren Horsley. WOO!!!

zombie wrote:Ah, I love them all. Today I was watching Heinous Crime and came across this one, called Falling Leaves.... I don't think I have laughed as hard in ages. Oh Taika. Anyway, it's here just in case it hasn't been posted before: http://www.nzshortfilm.com/film,3497,play,4074.sm

gezyka wrote:These aren't new, but someone put them up on youtube within the last few months:

[image]

gezyka wrote:
hellomyfriend wrote:
gezyka wrote:... <-- imagining what he was like as a kid. :o

If I'd shared a 4th grade class with Taika, I'd have had the most massive crush on him. :o

ADD: And he would have ignored me completely. :P

4th Grade Me
- dinosaur cap
- enormous glasses
- sweater vest
- dress shirt
- high-water corduroys
- colorful socks
- reeboks

Hmm...same with the massive crush!!

And 4th Grade Nik sounds right up 4th Grade Taika's alley. ;)

*picks up 4th Grade Nik and plops her in the sweater vest thread (her love for Kiwis makes her Kiwi enough :P )*

emira wrote:The horse!!!
[image]
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:00 am

gezyka wrote:^^^ 'Heinous Crime' was the winner of the 2004 (and first) 48HOURS film competition.

8HOURS is New Zealand’s largest filmmaking contest, taking place over a single weekend in six cities with a prize pool worth over $100,000. Hundreds of teams compete, hundreds of thousands watch. Write. Shoot. Cut. Survive!

Taika was actually a judge for this year's 48HOURS, which just concluded this past weekend:

Dunedin team dashes off winning film
By Edith Schofield on Mon, 22 Jun 2009

More than 18 hours of drawing and some last-minute editing sweat saw three Dunedin men beat off more than 600 teams to become the first South Island team to win the V Energy 48Hours film competition.

The Line Men team had no idea its animated film Charlotte would win and there was a lot of "jumping up and down like idiots" when the results were announced last night, technician and editor John Mead said.

The three had 48 hours to come up with a film that finished with a twist and included a rock as a prop, an "it doesn't fit" line of dialogue and the character Alex Puddle, an exaggerator.

Animator Parry Jones dreamt up the story and then spent 12 hours drawing, followed by four hours' sleep and then another eight-hour stint at the drawing board.

"There was a stage where I was almost seeing in double vision."

Sound mixer and music writer Rudy Adrian gave Mr Jones his first reaction after his marathon drawing effort - a disappointing "Hmmmm".

It was not that he did not like what he was seeing, but the realisation he was going to have to rewrite the music he had already written, Mr Adrian said.

Mr Mead said the team had been fairly relaxed throughout the two days, until they began the final editing.

"I kept tinkering with it, as Parry was standing behind me sweating."

Then it appeared that the film had not recorded properly, but luckily it turned out the problem was a "dodgy machine" and the team got its film in with seven minutes to spare.

The international panel of judges said they knew the film would be a highlight of the festival after the first viewing.

New Zealand film director Taika Waititi said: "These guys did a film that was funny, it had a lot of heart and it had a great story with a twist."

The story follows an old man who lives on his own and whose neighbours think is up to no good with his "bumps in the night".

Source: http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/62098/dunedin-team-dashes-winning-film

Here is this year's winning film:

#lol# #love3# #love3# #love3# #lol#

gezyka wrote:
Lights, camera, action: V48Hours kicks off
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 6:20p.m.
By Kate Rodger

Regular contestant and filmmaker Taika Waititi

Watch out on the nation's streets this weekend for fake blood, fake guns and crazy filmmakers – it's the eighth annual V48Hours Film Festival.The festival is not for the faint-hearted. Each year thousands of budding filmmakers sign up. They have 48 hours to write, shoot, edit, and survive.

"There will be a lot of screaming, laughter, tears on Sunday night, and people either make the deadline or not," says organiser Ant Timpson.

"This is the competition where boys become men and girls become women."

And while those boys and girls have been girding their cinematic loins for this weekend, one V48Hour veteran decided to just soak it up in his hotel bathtub.

"You know what I did earlier?" asks filmmaker Taika Waititi. "I put a facemask on, but before I started doing 48 hour films, it was frowned upon - but now I can do whatever I want."

Waititi usually enters each year, but with his latest film Boy planted firmly at the top of the Kiwi box office, he's planted firmly in New Orleans shooting The Green Lantern.

In other words, he's come a long way from his V48Hour days.

"We're talking 650 teams, 10,000 people," says Timpson. "This year, Taranaki is a new region, small team of desperadoes knocking it out of the park."

And for all those hopefuls chasing honour and glory this weekend, here's a final word Waititi.

"Have a good time, who knows - one day you could be living all alone with no friends, drinking coffee out of a wine glass, naked."

Click here to watch Taika in a bathtub video!

Source

Well, I guess now we know what his hair looks like, but I admit that I didn't think to look at that until after watching the video. #lol#

#drool# #evilgrin# #wise# Image #six# #thud# #ded#
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:52 am

42BELOW - ONEDREAMRUSH (2009)

gezyka wrote:
Flicks Has A Quick Chat With Taika Waititi And Niki Caro
3rd Mar 2009
By Andrew Hedley, Flicks.co.nz

[image]

The generous folk at 42BELOW invited us along to the New Zealand launch of ONEDREAMRUSH - a 42-second short film showcase. Endorsed by Werner Herzog, ONEDREAMRUSH has rounded up 42 interesting film directors from around the world (including Sean Lennon, Leos Carax, Mike Figgis, James Franco, Gaspar Noe and Harmony Korine) and asked them to make a 42-second film on the subject of 'dreams'. New Zealand's highly impressive contingent: Taika Waititi (Eagle vs Shark), Niki Caro (Whale Rider), Florian Habicht (Rubbings from a Live Man) and Chris Graham (Sione's Wedding).

You can see their short films and learn more at 42x42.com.

In amongst knocking back the free vodka cocktails, we caught up with a moustachioed Taika and the lovely Niki to ask them about their short films and their upcoming full-length projects. For Taika, the challenge was to get the tone right when making something about dreams.

"It's really hard not to be pretentious," he says. "And it's hard not to be too irreverent, you know? It's hard to take it seriously. I feel it would be really easy just to take the piss and make something that's a bit stupid and have a laugh. Which is fine, but I think I was trying to make something a little bit more honest than what I would usually do if it was like a 48-hour challenge or something."

"That's the real trap of it," agrees Niki. "I was just saying to my husband that that's exactly the intrinsic problem."

Niki's film consisted of a single shot of a 3-year-old girl, talking about her dreams, filmed in L.A. a while back. "This was not a film I made, but material that I remember had moved me and when I went back to search for it, I realised that it was 42 seconds long."

They both agree that the time limit was difficult. Taika says that the challenge lies in "making something that isn't too boring. It feels that even with 42 seconds you can have really long dead spots. It will just drag on. It's also longer than a commercial. I think, in 30 seconds, you can do it. But between 30 seconds and a minute is difficult."

Taika's short features a combination of in-camera effects trickery (no computers were used) - something he's fond of doing, but feels doesn't work for longer projects.

"I try to do a lot of in-camera tricks and stuff in music videos and try and be a little bit more visually creative. But in a feature you can't really get away with it as much because it pulls the audience down too much. You know, when you start getting too tricky like that you sort of lose the audience - they start kind of thinking: 'oh shii, how did you do that?' I don't think I'm good enough to be able to incorporate something that stylistic into a proper narrative."

NIKI CARO'S NEXT FILM - THE VINTER'S LUCK

Niki, meanwhile, is currently busy finishing off of her new film, The Vintner's Luck, starring Keisha Castle-Hughes and Vera Farmiga, and based on the novel by kiwi Elizabeth Knox. It's a New Zealand/French co-production, filmed in both countries, and due for release later this year.

We put it to her that the subject material seems more abstract than her most recent work.

"It's a really huge challenge," she agrees, "but in the end, even though there's an Angel in it, it's really preoccupied with being human, not being divine or Spiritual in any way. And I think it's a very earthy, very sexy little film, actually. I showed a French guy the other night, he said [in French accent]: 'Oh, it is very sensual.' "

TAIKA WAITITI'S NEXT FILM - THE VOLCANO

Taika's new film is due to start shooting in two weeks. Tentatively titled The Volcano, it's set in Wainui, in the Bay of Plenty. He'd choppered into Auckland, especially for the occasion, straight from pre-production work they're doing down there.

"I say it's an extension of Two Cars One Night [his Oscar-nominated short film] but it's not really. It's actually pretty different. It's just the similarities - it's Maori kids growing up in the '80s in the Bay of Plenty. And it's set around the time that the Thriller music video came out. So that sort of sets the tone. So a lot of '80s… Maori kids, and just growing up. Growing pains."

Taika has recently directed the last two episodes of series two of Flight of the Conchords, which begins on NZ television soon.

Source: http://www.flicks.co.nz/news/flicks-has-a-quick-chat-with-taika-waititi-and-niki-caro/

[image]

By the way, his 42 second film currently says "coming soon..."

^^^ though the link doesn't work anymore... [image]

just asked 42below on twitter:

FOTCmb: @42below Hi! Do you have the 2009 ONEDREAMRUSH videos archived anywhere? Looking for @TaikaWaititi's in particular...saw it awhile ago.

42below: @FOTCmb Hi there, we're not able to be associated with ONEDREAMRUSH anymore. You'd need to contact ilizz advertising

will investigate... [image] (and I actually ended up emailing them [image] ) - yeah, they never replied. :P

gezyka wrote:
[image]

[image] [image] [image]

From the 42 Below One Dream Rush launch in Auckland - March 2, 2009
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:42 am

Arab Samurai (2007)

gezyka wrote:OMG. WHY HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS BEFORE??? #fit# #fingerwave# #fit# #fingerwave# #fit#

Arab Samurai

Description: I made this as part of the 48 Hour Film Competition 2007 but handed in about 70 hours too late. This film is supposed to be a little bit shii so just relax and enjoy it.

#ded# #ded# #ded#

ADD: "WARNING: THIS MOVIE CONTAINS TAIKA" #inlove# #rofl# #inlove#
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:23 pm

The White Tiger (2009)

gezyka wrote:Just ran across this:

The White Tiger

2009, New Zealand, 8 min, Digital Beta, Maori, World Premiere
Director: Taika Waititi

Presented as part of:
EMBARGO COLLECTIVE
Oct 17 2009, 5:00PM
Al Green Theatre

An urban warrior returns to his tribal homeland in a quest to discover his cultural identity.

from imagineNATIVE 2009

The Embargo Collective went to Berlin. This was said about Taika's short:

Taika Waititi flagrantly and hilariously addresses and breaks almost all the rules imposed upon him in The White Tiger.

I wanna see it!! #sadlove#
gezyka

by emira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:39 am

PRODIGY represents Taika Waititi for Commercials

Press release by Prodigy Films

When Prodigy joined forces with Hungry Man to represent their directors in Australia and New Zealand they also found they were now representing the phenomenally talented Taika Waititi.

Taika is recognised worldwide for his work on the hit HBO comedy series Flight Of The Conchords and, in the commercials world, for his Pot Noodle campaign out of Mother in London. The campaign comprises absurd, pop culture-skewing mini-musicals, Moussaka Rap and I Wish (Girls Were More Like Pot Noodle) which tell the stories of a pair of roommates, extolling the virtues of Pot Noodle. The campaign proved such a success that the agency turned it into a full length theatrical musical that ran in the West End.

Starting out as a performer and a comedian, Taika has been involved in some of New Zealands most innovative and successful productions. He has a strong background in comedy writing and performing and with fellow comedian Jemaine Clement has won New Zealands top comedy awards along the with Fringe Awards in Edinburgh.

Taika and Jemaine teamed up again in 2007, when Taika wrote and directed a handful of episodes for Flight of the Conchords, and then later directed Jemaine in his first full length feature, Eagle vs. Shark. Premiering at the Berlin International Film Festival, the film went on to screen across the world, eventually making its way into US theatres, having scooped up many awards along the way.

Named by Variety as one of the Ten New Directors To Watch the New Zealand born film director and writer premiered his 2010 film Boy at Sundance Film Festival this winter and is currently the highest grossing New Zealand film of all time. The film is the feature follow up to his 2003 short film Two Cars One Night, which earned him an Academy Award nomination.

For all Taika commercials enquiries (NZ/ AUS) please visit: hello@prodigyfilms.com

For Taika's showreel please visit: http://www.hungryman.com

source
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Open Your Eyes
The Museum of Contemporary Native Arts unveils five new exhibits this weekend
By Mike Zolnick

[...]

Also opening this Friday is Embargo Collective, a collection of seven short films from Indigenous artists. The filmmakers, who hail from tribes throughout Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US, filmed each short movie in their native language. The mix of works typifies the diversity in native populations. Additionally, the filmmakers have challenged each other to create narratives outside of their usual realm of expertise.

"For example, a documentary maker will be making a horror or a comedy. There are romances and dramas too," Rice says. "One of the films, The Cave, [by Helen Haig-Brown] is appearing at the Sundance Film Festival. We also have work from Taika Waititi, a director who has a role in the upcoming Green Lantern."

source

:o

Do you think they're talking about one of the films we've already seen (like Two Cars One Night) or something new? #excited2#

I need to investigate this more. #excited2# But now it's time for me to go to bed :P
emira

by gezyka » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:01 am

emira wrote:
Open Your Eyes
By Mike Zolnick

[...]

Also opening this Friday is Embargo Collective, a collection of seven short films from Indigenous artists. The filmmakers, who hail from tribes throughout Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US, filmed each short movie in their native language. The mix of works typifies the diversity in native populations. Additionally, the filmmakers have challenged each other to create narratives outside of their usual realm of expertise.

"For example, a documentary maker will be making a horror or a comedy. There are romances and dramas too," Rice says. "One of the films, The Cave, [by Helen Haig-Brown] is appearing at the Sundance Film Festival. We also have work from Taika Waititi, a director who has a role in the upcoming Green Lantern."

source

Do you think they're talking about one of the films we've already seen (like Two Cars One Night) or something new? #excited2#

I need to investigate this more. #excited2# But now it's time for me to go to bed :P

It sounds like what he did The White Tiger (few posts back...still haven't seen it #sadlove#) for, but I bet it's something new. #aziz# I wonder if the Embargo Collective will be going back to Berlin next month?
gezyka

by emira » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:48 am

Slade in Full (2006)

@timpson You're latest email for "Sale St Shorts" has Slade in Full (Dir: Taika Waititi) listed as '05... but it cleaned up in the '06 48hrs

@timpson only reason I know this... is cause it's so god damn funny. "Action Slade - action speaks louder than words..."

@jacobunny @timpson It's no 'Heinous Crime' but it's still one of my favs. I've looked online for it for years. @TaikaWaititi ruled 48hrs

@corynz Is this short anywhere available online or on DVD? I'd really love to see it. I've never heard of this film!

@WorldOfTaika I believe it's on the V48HOURS 2006 DVD (which is available for rent from Vid Ezy Ponsonby)? I've never found it online.

source

How much Taika-godness is there undiscovered?! :o I need to find this DVD! #wah#
emira

by gezyka » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:17 pm

emira wrote:Slade in Full (2006)

@timpson You're latest email for "Sale St Shorts" has Slade in Full (Dir: Taika Waititi) listed as '05... but it cleaned up in the '06 48hrs

@timpson only reason I know this... is cause it's so god damn funny. "Action Slade - action speaks louder than words..."

@jacobunny @timpson It's no 'Heinous Crime' but it's still one of my favs. I've looked online for it for years. @TaikaWaititi ruled 48hrs

@corynz Is this short anywhere available online or on DVD? I'd really love to see it. I've never heard of this film!

@WorldOfTaika I believe it's on the V48HOURS 2006 DVD (which is available for rent from Vid Ezy Ponsonby)? I've never found it online.

source

How much Taika-godness is there undiscovered?! :o I need to find this DVD! #wah#

Wish we knew about it a year ago! Maybe I could have rented it. Hopefully we'll see it before then, but if not, you'll know what to look for in September... #excited2#
gezyka

by emira » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:31 am

gezyka wrote:
emira wrote:
Open Your Eyes
By Mike Zolnick

[...]

source

It sounds like what he did The White Tiger (few posts back...still haven't seen it #sadlove#) for, but I bet it's something new. #aziz# I wonder if the Embargo Collective will be going back to Berlin next month?

I think it's still The White Tiger,

@TaikaWaititi Just saw your film for the Embargo Collective...funny ish! #TheWhiteTiger

source

Maybe if we hassle him, he'll upload it somewhere? #stirthepot#
emira

by emira » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:44 pm

emira

by emira » Thu May 19, 2011 9:04 am

#excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited#

Sometimes I have these dreams where I am about to die or cross over to another place and I consciously have to say to myself “Taika, go back to your body before it’s too late”. I’m not sure if you can actually die in a dream but I think the opportunity to leave for a while is there. This film might be about that kind of thing, or not. I don’t really have a clue.
emira

by emira » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:42 am

Like Commando but awesomer, this effing sweet film from 2006 was single-handedly made in just under 7 hours by me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkC5VcbiWsQ[/youtube]

48Hours Furious Film Making entry from 2006 by "Tyler Corgan" Team White Tiger Selected by Peter Jackson as a Wild-card entry.

:o #excited# #drool# #six# #rofl#
emira

Next

Return to Taika Waititi