Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Taika the Actor

Taika Cohen and Taika Waititi, one and the same overachiever extraordinaire.

by emira » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:45 pm

And I've just discovered that this commercial:

gezyka wrote:

was directed by Paul Middleditch who also directed Separation City (written by Tom Scott - Sam Scott's of The Phoenix Foundation father and Sam, Luke and Conrad did a score for this film). Small world... :)
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Taika performed last Sunday on stage of the Silo Theatre in Auckland in "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs 2.0"

Q&A with Taika on the Silo facebook page,

Hello Taika Waititi!

1. WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO?
I’m a self-employed anythinger. I think the job-description John Key might use is: “Freeloading arty type”.

2. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE THINGS YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
I can turn up late for work and I won’t fire myself. I also won’t pay myself but still…

3. HOW DID YOU COME ACROSS SILO?
I was having a spew out the back of Tanuki’s Cave and I saw all these homeless people wandering around in the carpark. Then I looked closer and saw it was Oliver Driver and some other actors from 90’s television. They had taken over this smelly old junkie den and started putting on plays.

3. WHAT ELECTRONIC DEVICES CAN YOU NOT LIVE WITHOUT?
Life Support Machines. Not me personally, but if all your organs fail and you’re brain dead, you can’t live without one.

4. MAC OR PC?
Windows on a Mac. Who really gives a shit. If you use them for anything other than jerking off or looking at social media (same thing), all computers break after 2 years. Remember those old Mac G4 things? They had like, 2gb hard-drives. Those things were about five thousand dollars!!! Mac users are getting reamed yearly and still come back for more: “Ooh, can you please ream me again, but this time with a retina display and front-facing camera?”

5. DO YOU HAVE AN IPHONE?
Have you tried doing actual serious emailing on these things? Forget it. iPhone mail should just have a built in auto-reply that says, “I’ll respond to this when I get to a real computing device that can download your attachment, open it in another program, allow me to make edits and give detailed notes, and then compose a message with actual, real punctuation, n shit.”

And yes, I have one. I own an iPhone.

7. ADMIT A GUILTY PLEASURE?
I like to pretend I’m fighting John Key in a pub brawl, and I end up punching him, but I accidentally hit him so hard that it obliterates the entire National Party.

8. WHERE DO YOU FIND INSPIRATION?
Those little inspirational Rumi quotes that people post on Facebook, right beneath a photo of a bald eagle or a dolphin.

9. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE WANTING TO GET INTO WHAT YOU DO?
My advice is “Do it!” Do what? Do whatever it is you think I’m doing that you think is worth doing. It’s great. But whatever you do, don’t listen to other people, especially those who try to give you advice; in that situation you should do the complete opposite.

Catch Taika in THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY OF STEVE JOBS 2.0, 6PM Sunday the 18th of November. One night only at the Concert Chamber, Auckland Town Hall.

source

photos from rehearsals and the show:
twitter
twitter
instagram
emira

by Amily » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 pm

4. MAC OR PC?
Windows on a Mac. Who really gives a shit. If you use them for anything other than jerking off or looking at social media (same thing), all computers break after 2 years. Remember those old Mac G4 things? They had like, 2gb hard-drives. Those things were about five thousand dollars!!! Mac users are getting reamed yearly and still come back for more: “Ooh, can you please ream me again, but this time with a retina display and front-facing camera?”

#haha# I love him so much for his brutal honesty at all times. #love3#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by emira » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Amily wrote: #haha# I love him so much for his brutal honesty at all times. #love3#

He can make a lot of enemies as well as followers because of that. :)
emira

by emira » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm

2013 Sundance Film Festival Short Film Program has been announced today and we're particularly interested in one film, that I hope will be screened at the Sundance London as well. #pray#

The Captain / Australia, U.S.A. (Directors: Nash Edgerton, Spencer Susser, Screenwriters: Nash Edgerton, Spencer Susser, Taika Waititi) — A man wakes up with a hangover, only to discover the consequences of his actions.

source

"The Hangover III"? #haha#

I wonder if this is why he's in Australia at the moment. #hmm#
emira

by emira » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:11 pm

i've moved the post above here, because apparently, Taika also acts in this short film.

Nash Edgerton’s The Captain joins Sundance Film Festival

Taika Waititi in The Captain

Film-maker Nash Edgerton has received his second nod of approval from the Sundance Film Festival in as many years with his short film The Captain being accepted into competition.

The only Australian short film to get accepted in 2013, The Captain, was co-written by Edgerton, Hesher director Spencer Susser, who also co-directed the film, and Taika Waititi, who wrote and directed the New Zealand film Boy.

It follows Edgerton’s acceptance into the festival for 2012 with his film Bear. This is Edgerton’s sixth short film to feature at the festival.

Edgerton said:

“It’s a huge honor for Spencer and I that The Captain has been selected to screen at Sundance especially seeing as we co-wrote it with our friend Taika Waititi who also stars in it, someone whom we met at Sundance years ago. It’s such a privilege for us to get to make films with our friends.”

The Captain follows a man who wakes up with a hangover, only to discover the consequences of his actions.

The film was produced by Benjamin Gilovitz for Blue-Tongue Films in association with Burbank Gamma Ray and made with the assistance of Mobli, executive produced by Sue Yeon Ahn.

It was shot by Greig Fraser who this week won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for best cinematography for his work on Kathryn Bigelow’s film Zero Dark Thirty.

Fraser has worked with Edgerton and his Blue Tongue Films team in the past, including Edgerton’s short film Spider and David Michod’s Netherland Dwarf.

The Captain will run in the US Narrative Short Films category, as Susser is American.

It joins two other Australian productions at the festival. Top of the Lake, a TV series by Jane Campion and Emile Sherman and Iain Canning’s See-Saw Films has already been accepted to screen at Sundance, as the first TV series to screen in its entirety. Australian-French co-production Two Mothers, directed by Anne Fontaine and starring Naomi Watts and Robin Wright will also screen at the festival.

The Blue Tongue Films new continues with the addition of Mirrah Foulkes to the collective’s line up. Foulkes has been nominated for two AACTAs this week for her short film Dumpy Goes to the Big Smoke, for Best Short Fiction Film and Best Screenplay for a Short Film. Foulkes is the first woman to join the collective.

source
emira

by emira » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:18 pm

First Image From Nash Edgerton And Spencer Susser's THE CAPTAIN
Tom Stone, Australia & NZ Editor

One of our most anticipated titles at Sundance 2013 is The Captain, the short film collaboration between directors Nash Edgerton and Spencer Susser - who have made some of the most memorable short films in recent years: Lucky, Spider, Bear and I Love Sarah Jane.

Like Nash did with Bear, in which he cast fellow director Warwick Thornton in a small but crucial role, not to mention his "Must Be Santa" music video for Bob Dylan, which had directors Glendyn Ivin and Luke Doolan prancing around a Christmas party, The Captain stars another director chum. This time Eagle vs Shark and Boy director Taika Waititi is the star of the show. Here's the synopsis:

A man wakes up with a hangover, only to discover the consequences of his actions.

Now thanks to Sundance we have the first image from the film, which shows how big the consequences of this drunken stupor might have been. Epic.

As usual click below for a massive version of the image.

twitch
emira

by emira » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:59 pm

I thought I'll never see this short again! #inlove#

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-R1h_rM7AI[/youtube]
emira

by emira » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Sundance 2013 Exclusive: Poster for Blue-Tongue Films' THE CAPTAIN Burns with Disorientation
Chase Whale

If you're into short films, you need the Blue-Tongue Films collective in your life. Consisting of Nash Edgerton (The Square co-writer/director; stuntman pundit), Spencer Susser (Hesher writer/director), Joel Edgerton (Warrior, Animal Kingdom, Zero Dark Thirty actor), Luke Doolan, Kieran Darcy-Smith (Wish You Were Here co-writer/director), David Michôd (Animal Kingdom writer/director), and Mirrah Foulkes, these folks have paved their way in the short film world with perhaps the most innovative films in the last decade. These guys are responsible for cult hits Spider, I Love Sarah Jane, Lucky, Bear, and a lot more. You can watch all of them over on their official website.

Co-directors Nash and Spencer teamed up with Taika Waititi (Eagle vs Shark writer/director) for their latest short, The Captain. It's about a pilot who wakes up from a colossal hangover in the midst of a plane wreckage, which was certainly his fault. This short is only six minutes long, but is 100% better and more fascinating than that 138 minute snoozefest Robert Zemeckis made about an alcoholic pilot. (Note: I love Zemeckis to death, but Flight is an exhausting wreck.)

Nash sent me over the poster for The Captain, which you see can above you. Waititi stars and co-wrote the film with Nash and Spencer.

If you're still at Sundance, catch it today at 4pm in the Shorts Program 4.

twitchfilm

That was posted on Thursday.
emira

Previous

Return to Taika Waititi