Star Of FOTC Returns To New Zealand In 2011

You're a legend Dave.

by emira » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Star Of Flight Of The Concords Returns To New Zealand
Thursday, 17 March 2011, 9:14 am
Press Release: Elephant Publicity

Mary Tobin Presents....

Arj Barker (USA) 'Let Me Do the Talking'

Star Of Flight Of The Concords Returns To New Zealand In 2011!

Packed theatre? Relax. I'll handle this. You just sit back and do what you do best - listen, laugh and look good. Luckily for us, I've been in this situation before, and although it's never easy, it's nothing a nearly entirely new hour of classics won't handle! And remember friend, if things get too dicey out there, I can always whip out my guitar.

Arj Barker stared as "Dave" in Seasons 1 & 2 of the HBO Smash Hit "Flight of the Concords".

Barker who won the coveted Perrier Best Newcomer Award in 1997 has firmly established himself as one of the golden boys on the international comedy circuit. He performed massive sell out seasons all across Australia last year, as well as a 4 month tour around regional Australia.

Arj has made numerous appearances on late night talk shows, including the Letterman and Conan O'Brian shows, as well as starring in his own Comedy Central half hour special on the HBO. He is a favourite on Australian TV having appeared in Thank God You're Here, Rove, Spicks & Specks, Good News Week and Talkin 'Bout Your Generation.

Arj Barker is back by popular demand for a strictly limited season! Get it quick. This is world-class comedy.

"If comedians are the new rock stars, then Arj Barker is stand-up's Dave Grohl" The Age, Melbourne 2009

"It's a joy to spend an hour in his world" The Advertiser, Adelaide 2008

"If you prefer comedy with its collar up, then Arj Barker may have you head-butting your boyfriend with violent laughter. He has a lovely turn of phrase, a wacky imagination and a unique style." The Age, Melbourne 2008

"He's invariably hilarious" (4 & a half stars) The Advertiser, Adelaide 2009

Auckland

Dates: Sat 30 & Thu 5 - Fri 6 May, 9pm

Venue: SKYCITY Theatre Level 3, cnr Wellesley St West & Hobson St, CBD

Tickets: Adult: $36.50 / Conc. $33.50 / Group 10+ $33.50

Booking: 0800 TICKETEK (842 538) http://www.ticketek.co.nz

Wellington

Dates: 4 May, 8:30pm

Venue: The Opera House 111-113 Manners St, CBD

Tickets: Adult: $36.50 / Conc. $33.50 / Group 10+ $33.50

Booking: 0800 TICKETEK (842 538) http://www.ticketek.co.nz

source

#aziz#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:51 am

Conchords sidekick ready to make us laugh

FUNNY MAN: Arj Barker is devoted to such mysteries as UFO sightings and ghosts, even including some in his stand-up routine.

Arj Barker has been trying to convince Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie to tour Australia and New Zealand with him.

After all, the Flight of the Conchords duo have already filled legendary venues like the Hollywood Bowl and Wembley Arena, with Barker in support. Why not Westpac Stadium?

"I really like touring with those guys because they're great guys and also their crowds are incredible," he says. Barker's connection goes back to the Conchords' HBO television show, where he played their zany headbanded friend Dave.

He has an ulterior motive for the tour, too. "It's quite easy because I support them. I do 20 or 30 minutes, then I go backstage and drink Bret's red wine while they're performing. It's a good deal."

They need to get their priorities right, he jokes. Stop making "major motion pictures" and carve out a little space for touring again.

"That's why I don't do them," he says, meaning movies. "I'm like, 'Sorry, I'd love to go and be in your giant Hollywood worldwide blockbuster films, but I'm a little busy . . . doing jokes about ghosts!"

Barker's in Wellington for the annual Comedy Festival. He's MC for the opening gala night on Sunday as well as a solo performer.

That's where the supernatural reference comes from: he promises his hour-long routine will include a romp through the little-explored field of "observational humour about ghosts".

"I come from the point of view that ghosts do exist; now here's some information about them. I think that's kind of a refreshing idea."

It's one of his favourite parts of the show, he says. It's also a prompt for a 10-minute digression about his interest in the paranormal that begs the question of whether he's joking right now.

He does believe in ghosts, he says, though he's not scared of them. He's a longtime follower of UFO sightings, too - even doing a couple of Google searches every week to see if any new ones have sprouted up.

"Some of the audience gets worried for me: they say you shouldn't be talking about that stuff. I say: I don't care. Bring it."

It's not the only theme of the show. Other sections include an autobiographical segment and a look at the string of natural disasters that have beset the world of late.

"Everyone I know is saying: What's going on? Is there something weird happening? And I do address that in a way that I don't think many people have."

"I don't want to give it away, but I think New Zealand's ready, because they're a very forward-thinking country, and I think they're ready to come on board."

Barker knows something of Kiwi humour, having toured here before and worked so closely with the Conchords. But his connection is stronger still across the Tasman, where he's become something of a comedy superstar.

After 10 years of touring in Australia, he now lives there for much of the year. He's better known across the ditch than he is in the US, his home country, he says.

"Australia was always sort of my fun gig that I really look forward to. But it's actually turned into more than that. It turned into my meat and potatoes, so to speak."

He'd like to add New Zealand to the family, he says, switching metaphors suddenly. He's got a shipment ready to come to our table.

"The meat and potatoes are served up, but I need some greens. I don't know where this analogy is going."

He keeps in touch with the Conchords via Skype, but he's keen to touch base with McKenzie during this visit if he's in town. ("If he reads this, give me a shout.")

On stage, Barker has a volatile style, switching from a laidback delivery into full-on shouting for many jokes. (The effect is usually funny, don't worry).

His persona is often idiotic - laying the blame for global warming on the sun, for instance, or lampooning walking shoes for only offering one pace.

He doesn't try to overthink his jokes, he says, just as he never reads his reviews. While he can force himself to write gags, the best ones usually just pop into his head. It's all part of the mystery of what makes people laugh.

"I just want my jokes to come from a natural place. I want to feel inspired. I don't want to look at them like a mathematical equation: 'Oh here's a subject, now I will apply sarcasm and a third of a cup of dryness'."

Barker started doing stand-up when he was in his teens, as a sort of a dare from a friend. He got a few "honest laughs" in that first gig, and he's been hooked ever since.

He likes the total freedom it gives him - the opportunity to say whatever he wants. He likes the opportunity to tour and see the world - though the constant travel has been heck on his relationships. Then there's the adrenaline.

"It's very raw. You just go up there and there's a microphone, and everyone's sitting there listening. And they're like: make me laugh."

So far, that hasn't been a problem.

- The Dominion Post

source

Arj Barker has been trying to convince Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie to tour Australia and New Zealand with him.

[...]

He has an ulterior motive for the tour, too. "It's quite easy because I support them. I do 20 or 30 minutes, then I go backstage and drink Bret's red wine while they're performing. It's a good deal."

They need to get their priorities right, he jokes. Stop making "major motion pictures" and carve out a little space for touring again.

"That's why I don't do them," he says, meaning movies. "I'm like, 'Sorry, I'd love to go and be in your giant Hollywood worldwide blockbuster films, but I'm a little busy . . . doing jokes about ghosts!"

#lol# #love3# #cheer#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by onlyalways » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:34 am

Yay for Arj! #excited# #cheer#

Maybe since he'll be performing before a NZ crowd, he'll add some jokes/anecdotes about working with the guys. #shrug# But I shouldn't assume all New Zealanders are immediate fans of FOTC. #haha#

emira wrote:

[...]

#lol# #love3# #cheer#

#lol# #lol# #lol# #love3#

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by sargifster » Mon May 09, 2011 4:25 am

95bFM

Zac talks to comedian Arj Barker (Flight Of The Concords) about his show ‘Eleven' which he will perform in the New Zealand International Comedy Festival.

mp3

Source

Broadcast 26th April 2011, but has only just appeared in my feed.
sargifster
Administrator

Return to Arj Barker