by gezyka » Tue May 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Little snippet from The Pen in this one. :D
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by gezyka » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Give this one a bit of time to grow
Last updated 11:20 27/05/2010

Radiradirah TV3, Fridays, 9.30pm Reviewed by Victoria Guild

New Zealand-made comedies can be a bit of a hit-or-miss affair. For every Flight of the Conchords or Moon TV, there's a Melody Rules or Welcome to Paradise.

It's too early to tell what category Radiradirah falls into, but there were more laughs in our house during the first 30 seconds of 7 Days, which followed.

Brought to us by the people who made bro'Town (it gets its name from a bro'Town character's favourite saying), Radiradirah is made up of a series of sketches, some acted and some animated.

There are heavyweights of the New Zealand comedy world involved: Rhys Darby, the Naked Samoans, man-of-the-moment Taika Waititi, and the biggest of them all, John Clarke (aka Fred Dagg).

Jemaine Clement of Conchords fame lends one of the funnier sketches with his plasticine sheep and their daily schedule discussion (eating grass, bleating etc). Dry, but good.

Less appealing, despite being wonderfully drawn, was the dialogue between the kiwi, the shag and various ducks. Put shag, duck and another word that rhymes with duck together and you get the general idea of how clever the humour was. I actually found it so distasteful that it nearly put me off the whole show. Nearly.

The teddy bear sitting at the computer, writing about how awful his life was with a toddler (covered in snot, and if he had to listen to another Wiggles song, he was going to lose it), was fun.

New Zealand's first gang – Gavin Hoode (Darby) and his Mongrel Mob of Merry Men – and Space Waltz, with Hemi T Cooke (Waititi) and his team searching for a new galaxy to house 10 million Kiwis who have had to move to the South Island because the north is sinking, could yet prove to be winners.

But it was disappointing when Beached Whale of Beached Az fame popped up. This did the rounds on YouTube in 2008, and is written by a couple of Aussies taking the mickey out of Kiwi accents. Good-oh – put it on Aussie TV, then.

And, I'll admit it, I'm a bit ambivalent about Oscar Kightley's humour. He might be a good writer, but his delivery never has me in stitches.

It is sometimes suggested that Kiwi audiences suffer a form of cultural cringe when it comes to homegrown comedy and tend to be super-critical, but if the writing is good enough, then we will be entertained and will want to see more.

Sketch shows by their very nature take some time to develop, as we get used to recurring characters. They are also a bit of a pick-and-mix, the variety hopefully enough to have something for everyone's tastebuds. I guess even if there's one gem out of this, it'll be worth it.

Source
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:09 pm

Is anyone able to watch the episodes online? I can see the ads, but then nothing happens after that. Assuming they're being xenophobic...

Season 1, Ep 3 - I think the earliest available. There's a limited viewing window for each.
gezyka

by emira » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:20 am

Space Waltz

Ep 1

Ep 3

Gavin Hoode

Ep 1

Ep 02

Ep 3

... and FotC should make a music video for 1353 to match this series [image] [image] [image]
emira
You can't break this heart...

by iaga » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 am

i really wish i could watch these videos. i cannot because it's private. =(
iaga
I'm making a lasagne... for one

by emira » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:45 am

iaga wrote:i really wish i could watch these videos. i cannot because it's private. =(

Yeah, they went private right after they were uploaded :-\
emira

by emira » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:57 pm

FOT & Angus have their blog! All episodes are there, fan art and a store! #cheer#

emira

Previous

Return to Rhys Darby