Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

The Cryptid Factor

Welcome to Murrayland.

by gezyka » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Rhys Darby and David Farrier On The Air!
posted 08 October 2009

[image]

George FM is proud to announce the addition of comedic heavyweight Rhys Darby and media maverick David Farrier to our weekly DJ lineup.

We'll let the boys explain how they're going to brighten up your Saturday mornings with…The Cryptid Factor:

From Rhys:
"If I ever had the time in my busy Hollywood schedule to listen to radio, this would be the show I would listen to, it's a show about mystery, adventure, monsters and bollocks. Two of New Zealand's greatest minds combine to bring you two hours of 'must watch' radio. This radio show is about keeping alive the spirit from the golden age of mystery and adventure and gives the public a rare glimpse at my serious side as I discuss things like the migration patterns of Yeti - arguably the most important thing to hit New Zealand radio since Bad Jelly the Witch. And the opportunity to work with David Farrier is...something I have to put up with to do this show."

From Farrier:
"The Cryptid Factor is a show about cryptids - that is, animals unknown to science like the Yeti, Loch Ness monster and the Mongolian Death Worm. It's an area of obsession for both Rhys and myself and we're both mutually tickled we've met someone else who's into it. And that a station like George will let us share it with New Zealand. So yeah, we'll be chatting about the subject in amongst playing our favourite tunes.

There's never been a radio show in New Zealand celebrating cryptozoology. This has always stunned me a bit, and when I found Rhys was equally passionate about the issue, planning a new show seemed pretty logical. Of course saying "planning" makes it sound really planned - all we've really done is given the show segments various names. We're a particularly proud of a segment called 'vocalisations'. This segment will be both sexy and chilling.

We'll be breaking a few radio rules... we're having a very visual section about cryptid art. The fact you can't see pictures on the radio won't be stopping us. As for music, well, Rhys has just this minute handed me his Daft Punk CD - what could go wrong?!?"

Find out what indeed could go wrong every Saturday morning on George FM.

The Cryptid Factor with Rhys Darby and David Farrier on George FM. Saturdays, 8-10am, George FM.

For interview opportunities, contact dean@georgefm.co.nz , 021997042

Follow us: twitter.com/cryptidfactor and search for THE CRYPTID FACTOR group on Facebook.

Source: http://www.georgefm.co.nz/news909.html

[image] [image] [image]

Rhys has been talking about this on twitter! :D
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by gezyka » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:54 pm

davidfarrier: http://twitpic.com/lerd1 - rhys has the best headphonse on the show. actual. @cryptidfactor Tune in Saturday mornings!

[image]

[image]
gezyka

by onlyalways » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Sorry, I should read the article, but all I can think is:

[image]

"You can have hay out of your mouth... a little bit of hay."

:P

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by Katie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:00 pm

gezyka wrote:
davidfarrier: http://twitpic.com/lerd1 - rhys has the best headphonse on the show. actual. @cryptidfactor Tune in Saturday mornings!

[image]

[image]

[image] [image] [image]

Those are cool headphones!
Katie
Totally Fine

by emira » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:25 pm

95bFM everybody catch the first run of @cryptidfactor on Sunday morning? if ya missed it, check the podcasts here: http://bit.ly/dBDqMm
emira
You can't break this heart...

by gezyka » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:53 pm

cryptidfactor: Here we are. A picture of us so you can.. picture us.. visually. http://yfrog.com/105mjj

[image]

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

Rhys and I could totally be related. Just look at those pasty, white ginger legs! [image]
gezyka

by gezyka » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Just noticed this old pic:

cryptidfactor: Who wouldn't want to be in this gang of crazy nuts! Merry Xmas from the CF team. X

[image]

Um. David Farrier? Hello. [image]
gezyka

by emira » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 pm

emira

by gezyka » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:36 am

gezyka

by gezyka » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:44 pm

[image]
gezyka

by emira » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:09 am

The Cryptid Factor
New Zealand International Comedy Festival review

Bigfoot, Yeti, El Chupacabra, The Loch Ness monster....

The list of unsolved mysteries within the animal world goes on and is a constant source of mystery to those who are enamoured of the Cryptozoological world.

Cryptozoology - for those of you who are new to the genre - is the study of hidden animals.

As well as Leigh Hart and his foray into our Mysterious Planet, two others who are interested in this world are Rhys Darby and David Farrier, who've teamed up to bring to the stage this live version of their weekly radio show as part of the NZ International Comedy Festival.

While this pair's banter is one of the major highlights of the show, it's actually the world which they delve into which is the real source of entertainment for this outing.
Advertisement

Starting with an actual recording of a 911 call with someone reporting a creature in their garden, The Cryptid Factor is a look into the strange world of hidden animals - along with a multimedia show and some live music thrown in for good measure.

Darby begins by telling the crowd that the show is "unscripted and may be a bit shambolic" but what lies ahead is a wonderful snapshot of how this duo - along with Buttons, their technical guy - got intrigued and had their lives changed by this cryptozoological interest. There's a kind of chat show feel to this live stage show with guest contributors brought in to explain their sightings and a slideshow to demonstrate how the dynamic duo have followed their passion. Throw into the mix the live songs of Boono, a regular contributor who pens music and lyrics about Nessie, Bigfoot as well as a truly infectious number about the mousse of Fiordland and you've got the formula for a winning 90 minutes.

There's a lot of self effacing humour in The Cryptid Factor, but it's clear those involved aren't actually mocking the subject; it's treated with a genuine warmth and desire to share their hobby; a great deal of the warm glow of the show arises from the rapport the trio have and onstage banter doesn't feel forced ; there's a genuine energy and interest on stage that Farrier seems genuinely upset they're running out of time and still have much to cover.

It strikes me no two versions of The Cryptid Factor will be the same - with a revolving door policy for contributors and a level of audience interaction, there's clearly much to be had from this - both in terms of fun and also in learning. Recommended for broadening the mind - as well as the smile on your face.

The Cryptid Factor is on at Auckland's The Basement on May 1st and May 8th at 3pm.

TVNZ
emira

by sargifster » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:01 am

Here is the raw audio of the track Rhys penned as a child, which he sang on today's show.

Listen to the song

:)
sargifster
Administrator

Return to Rhys Darby