User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Yes Man **May Contain Spoilers**

Welcome to Murrayland.

by rhymenocerous » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:31 pm

thedistantfuture wrote:Do they not have movies in Washington,Tim? :P

All the theaters near me did not show it :( I would have to drive a long way and we have had a lot of snow and ice of late.

I am looking for things to do in Vegas anyway as I will be there alone for a week, so a movie will do me well :D
rhymenocerous

by gezyka » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:54 am

Rhysie will bring you luck, Tim. :)

Er, maybe I should say Zooey?? :P
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by gezyka » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:22 am

Hollywood funnyman Jim Carrey talks about his latest film Yes Man

5:59pm Monday 5th January 2009

[cutting to the chase]

Q: Whose idea was it to cast Flight of the Conchords’ Rhys Darby as Norman, and how was it working with him?

A: “It was Peyton Reed’s [the director] idea, Rhys, and he’s just absolutely brilliant. He’s got that Peter Sellers madness inside him and it just worked out so perfectly because my character is broken and doesn’t want to be involved with anybody, and doesn’t want to seen by anybody.

“And this character, played by Rhys Darby, is so full of love and so wants to be my friend that it becomes incredibly painful for me. The worst thing in the world when you feel broken is to have somebody coming at you with open faced love. Rhys was just genius at it, it was great. Very childlike.

“It was interesting, because I am playing the straight man to him at the beginning. And then when the ‘yes’ philosophy takes over you see Carl grow into someone that can actually hang with this guy, then it’s that same energy going back and forth that created the tape scene, things like that, because we became like children playing together. It was great.”

Source: http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/4021863.Hollywood_funnyman_Jim_Carrey_talks_about_his_latest_film_Yes_Man/

:D So cute!
gezyka

by gezyka » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:52 pm

Flight of the Conchords' Rhys Darby in Yes Man with Jim Carrey
Article from: Herald Sun
Neala Johnson
January 08, 2009 12:00am

FLIGHT of the Conchords has made Rhys Darby an unlikely star of the small screen. Now he's starring alongside Jim Carrey in a Hollywood blockbuster.

RHYS Darby's character in Yes Man is a happy-go-lucky bank manager/Harry Potter-loving geek who desperately wants to be friends with Jim Carrey's character.

‘‘You could liken it to a young guy like myself trying to impress someone like Carrey -- but of course, in reality, I played it very cool,'' New Zealander Darby, 34, says of working with the movie superstar.

‘‘I didn't tell him that I've idolised him for such a long time. I just walked in ‘Hey mate, how's it going? Good to be in a film, eh? I've been doing these for years','' Darby says, breaking into laughter.

In fact, Yes Man marked Darby's first time on a film set. His only other time in front of a camera? Seventeen episodes of musical comedy TV series Flight of the Conchords.

But the heat generated by that TV show -- in which red-headed Darby plays Jemaine and Bret's ill-qualified band manager Murray -- has been enough to propel this stand-up comic to exactly where he wants to be in 18 months flat.

After Yes Man, Darby snared a role in Richard Curtis's mammoth ensemble comedy The Boat That Rocked (which opens in Australia on April 9), then returned to New York to shoot the second season of Flight of the Conchords.

Should Flight of the Conchords not continue for another season, he has a sitcom of his own in the works, the premise of which he won't reveal (though it's possibly based on his stand-up character, Kiwi park ranger Bill Napier).

And more film roles should be a snap given the positive reaction to Darby's performance in Yes Man.

‘‘So far my managers have collected 40 positive reviews that mention me and how I steal the movie,'' Darby says.

‘‘So it's very exciting, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get more work on the back of it. In the meantime I'll just relax here in the sun and see what happens.''

Wait, back up -- Flight of the Conchords might not continue?

‘‘That's the $50,000 question,'' Darby says. ‘‘I'd love to have that answered as well, because then I can either move on, or we can go back and do another one -- I'm happy either way, 'cos I think it's a great show.''

Darby believes the Conchords -- Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie, whom he befriended (and then later teamed with on a BBC radio series) when they were all performing at the Edinburgh Festival in 2002 -- still have plenty of musical parodies left in them.

‘‘What they came up with this year was fantastic, I love the new stuff. It's still detailed as hell, and they parody another 20 genres,'' he says.

‘‘I guess there's going to be weeks' worth of discussions between them and (network) HBO as to whether they carry on or not. I know they'd like to pursue other things, but at the same time, this thing's become bigger than them. I'm quite happy to go back and do it again, it's a lot of fun. But who knows? I don't think they even know!''

Flight of the Conchords has been a crash course in acting for Darby, who was given a brochure on drama courses by his commanding officer when he was booted out of the army as a teenager.

‘‘I just made it up as I went along like I've done with everything. The only rule I had was ‘Don't look at the camera','' he says with a laugh, ‘‘and that seems to have worked out fine. But this year they added another camera, so I had to watch out for that!

‘‘But it just came natural to me, as it did with (Clement and McKenzie), I guess. None of us are trained in this at all, we're just in the zone.''

Darby took that same vibe on to Yes Man, doing ‘‘nothing at all'' to prepare for his first time on a Hollywood film set.

‘‘I just had to believe in myself. I used to stand in the shower thinking ‘You've gotta be careful what you wish for', because from the early days of starting to do stand-up, I was hoping to one day be in television and make it into the movies -- and there I am, about to be in one, and it's massive.

‘‘How did it happen? Am I good enough? Well, I wished it would happen, and here it is, I have to now follow through.''

Luckily, as at least 40 reviewers have pointed out, his character is so funny that Darby was in the strange position of supplying comic relief in a Jim Carrey movie.

‘‘It is weird,'' Darby agrees with a laugh. ‘‘But right from the word go, I knew that my character was funnier than his character -- I just look funnier. I've got those glasses on, that suit, and my hair looks absolutely ridiculous.''

Also helping Darby to stand out in any pack is his New Zealand accent, which has come to be an unlikely asset in his film career.

He was surprised that there was no debate as to whether he should use his own accent in both Yes Man and The Boat That Rocked.

‘‘Nothing was brought up. What you've got to look at is that I was hired for the comic persona and the comic timing that I have, and for my voice which is part of the Rhys Darby package.

‘‘So I guess they wanted me as I am, my funniness as a whole, and my voice and my accent is part of that.''

Yes Man is now showing.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24887101-5006023,00.html
gezyka

by thedistantfuture » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:07 am

The Rhys Darby package :P
thedistantfuture

by sargifster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:03 am

gezyka wrote:

‘‘I guess there's going to be weeks' worth of discussions between them and (network) HBO as to whether they carry on or not. I know they'd like to pursue other things, but at the same time, this thing's become bigger than them. I'm quite happy to go back and do it again, it's a lot of fun. But who knows? I don't think they even know!''

This is making me very excited... ;D

I will be quite happy if Bret and Jemaine decide to go on to other things for their own personal reasons (because I am sure those other things will be as equally fantastic :) ), but it does give me hope to quash that Q magazine quote.

It just may not be over yet, and I can't help but feel very happy at that prospect, if it does come to pass... :)
sargifster
Administrator

by gezyka » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:30 pm

I really hope they tour!

And I've mentioned this somewhere before (not that this is really the appropriate thread), but it would be really awesome if there was a FOTC weekend. Have all the comedians who have been on the show perform over a couple days, and have the final big acts be Arj, Kristen, Rhys, and FOTC. ;D

The obvious location choice would be NYC, but I would so be there!!
gezyka

by thedistantfuture » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:55 pm

gezyka wrote:

The obvious location choice would be NYC, but I would so be there!!

Ditto! :)
thedistantfuture

by earthintruder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:50 am

I finally saw it! And it was great. I loved Rhys' character.
earthintruder
The day time of the night

by sargifster » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:48 am

Review of the Blu-Ray DVD of Yes Man:

The Rhys parts:

But it's Darby who essentially steals the show, transforming Carl's mild-mannered manager into a sweet and affable fellow I wanted to see starring in his own film.

[image]

A list of the special features:

* Jim Carrey, Extreme Yes Man (HD, 12 minutes): A behind-the-scenes featurette of sorts that finds Jim Carrey leaping into every scene and stunt with gusto. There's a few laughs to be had, but I found myself longing for a more thorough exploration of the film.

* Exclusive! On Set with Danny Wallace (HD, 9 minutes): Author Danny Wallace leads viewers on a tongue-in-cheek tour of the production, introducing various actors and production heads as he goes. This is actually one of the funnier features on the disc and I really enjoyed watching Wallace cleverly bumble his way across the set.

* Additional Scenes (HD, 8 minutes): A series of cuts and extensions that were, more or less, wisely removed from the final film. There are a few gems in the collection but, for the most part, none of the scenes were very memorable.

* Future Sounds, Munchausen by Proxy (HD, 5 minutes): This amusing mini-doc hones in on the origins of the film's quirky genre-bending rock band.

* Downtime on the Set (HD, 4 minutes): Follow Jim Carrey as he scurries about the set exacting his particular brand of improv comedy on the entire cast and crew.

* Exclusive! Say Yes to Red Bull (HD, 2 minutes): Watch Carrey get high on his own supply in this shameless Red Bull tie-in featurette.

* Exclusive! Party Central with Norman Stokes (HD, 2 minutes): Comedian Rhys Darby provides a tour of his character's apartment. It's funny, but far too short.

* Munchausen by Proxy (SD, 15 minutes): Five MbP music videos featuring songs like Uh-Huh, Yes Man, Star Spangled Banner, Sweet Ballad, and Keystar.

* Gag Reel (HD, 6 minutes): Rounding out the supplemental package is a hyperkinetic outtake montage that fans will find is worth every minute.

* Exclusive BD-Live Clips: You can also download several Yes Loans! commercials in which Norman pitches a new business.

Source for the whole review

Danny Wallace on set... [image] [image]

Yes Loans! commercials in which Norman pitches a new business.

I can imagine the commercials having the potential to be [image] [image] [image]
sargifster
Administrator

by emira » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:53 pm

I know it's been posted here before, but here's a larger version for anyone who'd like to change their desktop wallpaper ;D

emira
You can't break this heart...

Previous

Return to Rhys Darby