Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

The Boat That Rocked / Pirate Radio

Welcome to Murrayland.

by gezyka » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:13 pm


The Boat That Rocked
By Liz Rennie
April 17

★★★½

Every once in a while a film comes along that makes you think, “Damn it why didn’t I grow up in the (insert era other than late 90s here).”

It happened with Cameron Crowe’s “Almost Famous ” – a film which not only made a road trip across the USA look fun but also made me long for the flared jeans and excessive facial hair of the 1970s.

There was also “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” by eighties God John Hughes, who made leg warmers, ditching school and impersonating Chicago’s “Sausage King” seem like the height of cool.

But after seeing “The Boat That Rocked,” I whole heartedly wish I grew up in the 1960s. Preferably on a boat, with a group of eccentric hippies, running a pirate radio station in the UK.
Directed and Written by: Richard Curtis
Starring: Bill Nighy, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Gemma Arterton
Running time: 129 minutes
Rating: R

Alas, my formative years were spent travelling Australia not gallivanting in the North Sea, but for two hours I got to imagine how great it would have been.

And trust me it would have been bloody fantastic.

Director Richard Curtis delivers a fun and entertaining look at the sort-of-true story of UK’s pirate radio stations, in a film that is thankfully sans Hugh Grant.

A colourful collection of characters and a kicking 60’s soundtrack just make up for the film’s lengthy running time and helps disguise the fact that plot wise, not too much is happening.

In short, innocent newbie Carl (Tom Sturridge) is sent to live with his godfather (Bill Nighy) on board “Radio Rock” with a group of DJ’s responsible for disseminating rock music to Great Britain, in a time when BBC Radio broadcast less than two hours of popular music a week.

Of course there is a stiff-upper lip British hack determined to shut the pirates down and the film chronicles the government’s attempts to discredit “Radio Rock” and their supposedly loose morals.

That, boys and girls is pretty much the story of “The Boat That Rocked,” just add a dash of “coming-of-age” to the plot.

But really, there is no need to be too disappointed by the central story (or lack there-of).

“The Boat That Rocked” a.k.a a Richard Curtis film (think “Notting Hill” and “Love Actually”) was never going to have a great deal of narrative complexity and the movie is well compensated by the number of laughs it generates.

Bill Nighy who, let’s face it gets cooler the older he gets, is on fine form as Quentin, the eccentric proprietor who is tricked into dropping the first “f-bomb” on air.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman gets to channel his “Lester Bangs- laid back- muso cool,” as the American DJ The Count who is slightly threatened by the arrival of serial –Lothario and DJ extraordinaire, Gavin (Rhys Ifans).

Tom Sturridge as young Carl (think a cross between Jim Sturgess and Robert Pattinson) wins over the audience with his youthful naivety and shares a hilarious scene with Nick Frost’s Dave, who tries desperately to help Carl lose his virginity.

Rhys Darby from Flight of the Conchords is a stand out as the self-proclaimed nut Angus, who totally flips at the film’s ending telling fellow DJ Mark “to try and 'uck his way out of this.”

As the aforementioned hack, the deliciously smarmy Kenneth Branagh delivers one-liner gold, telling a junior team member that his hair cut is so bad that “I’m sure even blind people would be able to sense its profound ugliness.”

Bond girl Gemma Arterton, “Mad Men”s January Jones, and Talulah Riley break up the testosterone fest, as the female fans ready to party with the Radio Rock lads but their appearances are all too brief in what is essentially a male ensemble comedy.

Those expecting typical Curtis fare (romantic comedy) will most likely be disappointed by the film’s lack of romance and perhaps the distinct absence of Hugh Grant.

However for those looking for a laugh or two, “The Boat That Rocked” will certainly deliver and old school rock fans should definitely check out the soundtrack – the film’s ending montage of music’s greats should be sure to please.

Source: http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazine/entertainment/2009/04/the-boat-that-rocked/



... Rhys Darby from Flight of the Conchords is a stand out as the self-proclaimed nut Angus, who totally flips at the film’s ending telling fellow DJ Mark “to try and 'uck his way out of this.” ...

Sweet! More Rhys swearing. ;D
User avatar
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute
 
Posts: 20295
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:17 pm
Location: Texas Lexus?

by gezyka » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:26 am

So now this isn't coming out in the US until November. [image]

And there's a rumor that they're cutting 20 min. from it! [image]



Get it? I think it looks great. The film's being released in England first and is making its way Stateside sometime in November. Unless there's a release date attached to that trailer I just linked to, the exact date hasn't been announced yet. Word is that test screenings have led to the film being edited down by about 20 minutes, but those of you that are fans of these guys and this story can look forward to all that material being reinstated on the inevitable Director's Cut DVD.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-15166-Dallas-C....-at-the-movie s

[image]
User avatar
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute
 
Posts: 20295
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:17 pm
Location: Texas Lexus?

by dontlookback » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:22 am


gezyka wrote:So now this isn't coming out in the US until November. [image]

And there's a rumor that they're cutting 20 min. from it! [image]



Get it? I think it looks great. The film's being released in England first and is making its way Stateside sometime in November. Unless there's a release date attached to that trailer I just linked to, the exact date hasn't been announced yet. Word is that test screenings have led to the film being edited down by about 20 minutes, but those of you that are fans of these guys and this story can look forward to all that material being reinstated on the inevitable Director's Cut DVD.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-15166-Dallas-C....-at-the-movie s

[image]

[image]
User avatar
dontlookback
My shadow played a bass clarinet
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: delaware river.

by sheila » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:10 am


dontlookback wrote:
gezyka wrote:So now this isn't coming out in the US until November. [image]

And there's a rumor that they're cutting 20 min. from it! [image]


Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-15166-Dallas-C....-at-the-movie s

[image]

[image]


GEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!! ::)

but i am still so excited!!!! [image]


HALEY, YOUR BANNER!!!!!! [image]
sheila
Way less focused than squirrels
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:56 pm
Location: in the sky with diamonds

by dontlookback » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:15 am


sheila wrote:
dontlookback wrote:
[image]


GEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!! ::)

but i am still so excited!!!! [image]


HALEY, YOUR BANNER!!!!!! [image]

I'm still stoked too! [image]

...I know! [image]
User avatar
dontlookback
My shadow played a bass clarinet
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: delaware river.

by ohjeez » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:26 am

oh noooooo!!! i guess i won't be able to watch this in theaters! i'll be in the uk in november and i'm pretty sure it's out of theaters by now.

i think i'm going to have to watch it online. :(
ohjeez
My shadow played a bass clarinet
 
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: California

by laura » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:01 pm


ohjeez wrote:oh noooooo!!! i guess i won't be able to watch this in theaters! i'll be in the uk in november and i'm pretty sure it's out of theaters by now.

i think i'm going to have to watch it online. :(


Yeah it finished here ages ago :(
It's great though - maybe it will be on DVD by then [image]



i'll be in the uk in november


[image] where are you going? [image]
laura
Dr. Flighty
 
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:00 pm

by sargifster » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:05 pm


laura wrote:
It's great though - maybe it will be on DVD by then [image]


According to Amazon.co.uk, it is due to be released on DVD on 7th September.

I can't believe they are cutting 20 mins out for you. [image]

Not fair - you should see the version we saw. :)
sargifster
Administrator
 
Posts: 6951
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 1:54 pm
Location: UK

by ohjeez » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:02 pm


laura wrote:
ohjeez wrote:oh noooooo!!! i guess i won't be able to watch this in theaters! i'll be in the uk in november and i'm pretty sure it's out of theaters by now.

i think i'm going to have to watch it online. :(


Yeah it finished here ages ago :(
It's great though - maybe it will be on DVD by then [image]



i'll be in the uk in november


[image] where are you going? [image]
yeah i'll probably catch it on dvd or something. [image]

and i'm studying abroad this fall! i'm going to be at UEA. i'm so excited! [image]
ohjeez
My shadow played a bass clarinet
 
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: California

by gezyka » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 am


20 Indie movies to watch for this fall
August 31, 11:03 AM

Here's a list of 20 new indie movies to look forward to over the next several weeks between Labor Day and Thanksgiving.

Amreeka - Feel good immigration comedy about a Palestinian mother and her son struggling to make it in the U.S. (October)

The Appearance of a Man - A Da Vinci Code-influenced mystery movie that promises "the untold story of the Phoenix Lights," a "UFO" sighting witnessed by hundreds of people in 1997. (Opens September 11th exclusively at Harkins Valley Art).

Capitalism: A Love Story - Michael Moore's new film opens on October 2nd--a year and a day after the senate bailed out Wall Street to the tune of 700 million dollars.

Coco before Chanel - The Oscar buzz has already begun for Audrey Tautou (Amelie, The Da Vinci Code) who stars as legendary designer "Coco" Chanel in this biopic. (October)

An Education - A 16-year-old British girl falls in love with a much older man (Peter Sarsgaard). Naturally, her parents (Alfred Molina and Emma Thompson) are pissed. Nick Hornby (High Fidelity, About a Boy) wrote the script based on the memoir by Lynn Barber. (November)

Extract - After the distribution trouble and box-office failure of the futuristic satire Idiocracy, Mike Judge returns to the workplace as a source for laughs. Having already seen this one, I'm happy to say he gets them. Stars Jason Bateman, Ben Affleck and J.K. Simmons. (Opens September 4th).

Gentlemen Broncos - Jared Hess, the director of Napolean Dynamite is back with a story about a young aspiring fantasy writer and a mentor novelist played by Flight of the Conchords' Jemaine Clement. Sam Rockwell (Moon, Choke) and Jennifer Coolidge (Best in Show) also star.

Gotta Dance - Documentary about a group of old folks doing hip-hop dance routines. (Opens September 25th exclusively at Harkins Camelview 5).

It Might Get Loud - Enlightening documentary on the electric guitar or insufferable vanity project--you decide. Stars Jack White, The Edge, and Jimmy Page. (Opens September 4th exclusively at Harkins Camelview 5).

Lorna's Silence - A young Albanian women gets mixed up with the Russian mob. They loved this at Cannes last spring (won best screenplay and nominated for the Palme d'Or). (Opens September 11th exclusively at Harkins Camelview 5).

The Men Who Stare at Goats - My expectations are through the roof for this comic look at the pentagon's paranormal military programs and techniques used in the War on Terror. I hope it delivers. Stars George Clooney, Ewan MacGrogor, Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges. (November)

My One and Only - Renee Zellweger and Kevin Bacon star in a screwball road movie based on, I'm not kidding, incidents in the life of actor George Hamilton. (Opens September 4th exclusively at Harkins Camelview 5).

The Other Man - Liam Neeson, Laura Linney and Antonio Banderas in an unusual love triangle movie where a man poses as his deceased wife in letters to her secret lover. Based on a short story by Bernhard Schlink (The Reader). (October)

[size=133]Pirate Radio - Philip Seymour Hoffman, Nick Frost (Hot Fuzz) and Kenneth Branagh star in the story of a pirate ship broadcasting rock and roll off the UK coast. (November)


A Serious Man - Joel and Ethan Coen return to Minnesota with a new comedy about a nice jewish boy trying to figure out the 1960s. (October)

Tetro - Francis Ford Coppola wrote and directed this generational family drama starring Vincent Gallo (The Brown Bunny). (Opens September 4th exclusively at Harkins Valley Art).

Whip It - Ellen Page (Juno) stars in a teenage rebellion drama about a girl who drops out of the Texas beauty pageant circuit and joins the roller derby. Directed by Drew Barrymore of all people. (October)

World's Greatest Dad - Robin Williams stars in a black comedy about a middle aged schlub who gets a chance at fame and fortune. (September)

Yoo Hoo, Mrs. Goldberg - Documentary about broadcast pioneer Gertrude Berg, star and writer of The Goldbergs tv and radio series. (Opens October 2nd exclusively at Harkins Camelview 5).

Youth in Revolt - Michael Cera (Superbad) plays a guy trying to shake his beta male man-child thing.[/size]

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-20287-Phoenix-Indie-Movie-Examiner~y2009m8d31-15-Indie-movies-to-watch-for-this-fall

Pirate Radio? Really??? [image] ::) [image]
User avatar
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute
 
Posts: 20295
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:17 pm
Location: Texas Lexus?

by dontlookback » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:11 am


gezyka wrote:
20 Indie movies to watch for this fall
August 31, 11:03 AM

Here's a list of 20 new indie movies to look forward to over the next several weeks between Labor Day and Thanksgiving.

Amreeka - Feel good immigration comedy about a Palestinian mother and her son struggling to make it in the U.S. (October)

The Appearance of a Man - A Da Vinci Code-influenced mystery movie that promises "the untold story of the Phoenix Lights," a "UFO" sighting witnessed by hundreds of people in 1997. (Opens September 11th exclusively at Harkins Valley Art).

Capitalism: A Love Story - Michael Moore's new film opens on October 2nd--a year and a day after the senate bailed out Wall Street to the tune of 700 million dollars.

Coco before Chanel - The Oscar buzz has already begun for Audrey Tautou (Amelie, The Da Vinci Code) who stars as legendary designer "Coco" Chanel in this biopic. (October)

An Education - A 16-year-old British girl falls in love with a much older man (Peter Sarsgaard). Naturally, her parents (Alfred Molina and Emma Thompson) are pissed. Nick Hornby (High Fidelity, About a Boy) wrote the script based on the memoir by Lynn Barber. (November)

Extract - After the distribution trouble and box-office failure of the futuristic satire Idiocracy, Mike Judge returns to the workplace as a source for laughs. Having already seen this one, I'm happy to say he gets them. Stars Jason Bateman, Ben Affleck and J.K. Simmons. (Opens September 4th).

Gentlemen Broncos - Jared Hess, the director of Napolean Dynamite is back with a story about a young aspiring fantasy writer and a mentor novelist played by Flight of the Conchords' Jemaine Clement. Sam Rockwell (Moon, Choke) and Jennifer Coolidge (Best in Show) also star.

Gotta Dance - Documentary about a group of old folks doing hip-hop dance routines. (Opens September 25th exclusively at Harkins Camelview 5).

It Might Get Loud - Enlightening documentary on the electric guitar or insufferable vanity project--you decide. Stars Jack White, The Edge, and Jimmy Page. (Opens September 4th exclusively at Harkins Camelview 5).

Lorna's Silence - A young Albanian women gets mixed up with the Russian mob. They loved this at Cannes last spring (won best screenplay and nominated for the Palme d'Or). (Opens September 11th exclusively at Harkins Camelview 5).

The Men Who Stare at Goats - My expectations are through the roof for this comic look at the pentagon's paranormal military programs and techniques used in the War on Terror. I hope it delivers. Stars George Clooney, Ewan MacGrogor, Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges. (November)

My One and Only - Renee Zellweger and Kevin Bacon star in a screwball road movie based on, I'm not kidding, incidents in the life of actor George Hamilton. (Opens September 4th exclusively at Harkins Camelview 5).

The Other Man - Liam Neeson, Laura Linney and Antonio Banderas in an unusual love triangle movie where a man poses as his deceased wife in letters to her secret lover. Based on a short story by Bernhard Schlink (The Reader). (October)

[size=133]Pirate Radio - Philip Seymour Hoffman, Nick Frost (Hot Fuzz) and Kenneth Branagh star in the story of a pirate ship broadcasting rock and roll off the UK coast. (November)


A Serious Man - Joel and Ethan Coen return to Minnesota with a new comedy about a nice jewish boy trying to figure out the 1960s. (October)

Tetro - Francis Ford Coppola wrote and directed this generational family drama starring Vincent Gallo (The Brown Bunny). (Opens September 4th exclusively at Harkins Valley Art).

Whip It - Ellen Page (Juno) stars in a teenage rebellion drama about a girl who drops out of the Texas beauty pageant circuit and joins the roller derby. Directed by Drew Barrymore of all people. (October)

World's Greatest Dad - Robin Williams stars in a black comedy about a middle aged schlub who gets a chance at fame and fortune. (September)

Yoo Hoo, Mrs. Goldberg - Documentary about broadcast pioneer Gertrude Berg, star and writer of The Goldbergs tv and radio series. (Opens October 2nd exclusively at Harkins Camelview 5).

Youth in Revolt - Michael Cera (Superbad) plays a guy trying to shake his beta male man-child thing.[/size]

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-20287-Phoenix-Indie-Movie-Examiner~y2009m8d31-15-Indie-movies-to-watch-for-this-fall

Pirate Radio? Really??? [image] ::) [image]

[image] WTF
User avatar
dontlookback
My shadow played a bass clarinet
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: delaware river.

by tanfastic » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:07 pm

I just saw a "Pirate Radio" promo, it ran before "Surrogates." WTF exactly. Is this the name for the US, or has the title been changed altogether? I liked Boat that Rocked way better. Oh well. Kept looking for Reese, basically saw him in group shots and the walking into the lamp post. Those promos annoy me cause I think he's more recognized here (US) than the Brits w/the top billing. Not saying everyone knows his name, but he was in Yes Man fer crying out loud and even if ya didn't see the movie, you mighta seen the promos, and/or of course Conchords.
tanfastic
Let's boom the boom
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: so cal

by gezyka » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:07 pm


tanfastic wrote:I just saw a "Pirate Radio" promo, it ran before "Surrogates." WTF exactly. Is this the name for the US, or has the title been changed altogether? I liked Boat that Rocked way better. Oh well. Kept looking for Reese, basically saw him in group shots and the walking into the lamp post. Those promos annoy me cause I think he's more recognized here (US) than the Brits w/the top billing. Not saying everyone knows his name, but he was in Yes Man fer crying out loud and even if ya didn't see the movie, you mighta seen the promos, and/or of course Conchords.

I think it's the US title. Not good! :P

Here's the US trailer:



It seems like a different movie because this trailer is so...subdued? compared to the UK one. There's barely any music and too much talking! [image]
User avatar
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute
 
Posts: 20295
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:17 pm
Location: Texas Lexus?

by gezyka » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:18 pm



[image]
User avatar
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute
 
Posts: 20295
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:17 pm
Location: Texas Lexus?

by sheila » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:52 pm

not too sure how i did this but i just won two (guaranteed) tickets to the pirate radio screening in baltimore next thursday! [image]
sheila
Way less focused than squirrels
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:56 pm
Location: in the sky with diamonds

PreviousNext

Return to Rhys Darby

cron