Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Mike Martinovich (fotc's *real* manager)

Rhys, Kristen, Arj, Taika, Nigel, The Phoenix Foundation, Eugene, Demetri, Aziz and more.

by chrissycubana » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:35 am

So this has been bugging me ever since the June 1 Los Angeles show. As some flighties and myself were basking in the glow that is Bret and Jemaine, I noticed a familiar face watching us (usually covered with a huge grin) from across the alleyway. He seemed to be directing the guys around a little bit because at one point, while I was talking to Bret, he nudged him and said something like, "Bret, these people have been waiting awhile to talk to you" at which point Bret scurried off to talk to said fans. I had a hunch that this was their *real* manager, and that he looked familiar to me from "A Texan Odyssey" (though he had quite a bit of facial hair on him at the time).

After some detective work, it turns out I was right. The guy who is clearly getting a kick out of our flighty-ness is, in fact, FOTC manager, Mike Martinovich.

Here are some pics where you can see him lurking in the background. If you can find pics of him from "ATO" please post them here.

(he's just behind caitlin's gorgeous smiling face)
[image]

seems to be making sure Jem's handwriting is legible, here
[image]

definitely thinks we're a bunch of silly fangirls here
[image]

doing some kind of crowd control here
[image]

Is it just me, or is he kinda a hottie?

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by ines » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:12 am

LOL!

Chrissy when i was talking to bret and we were about to take our pic together he interrupted us and told Bret to take a picture with some other people and Bret had to tell him that he wasn't done with me yet. I told Bret to go ahead though because I wanted him to be able to take his time with me and not be rushed. Bret said ok and went and took a picture with two people and then walked back over to me :)
I love remembering that detail thanks Chrissy!
ines
The day time of the night

by chrissycubana » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:14 am

ah - okay. thanks for jogging my own memory, ines. Bret just couldn't get enough of you, eh? :)

chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by ines » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:14 am

p.s.

Caitlin looks so freaking happy! i love it!
ines

by ines » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:19 am

chrissycubana wrote:ah - okay. thanks for jogging my own memory, ines. Bret just couldn't get enough of you, eh? :)

I'm being serious though.. I was rolling up my poster and since i was doing that he was waiting. and then when manager dude came to the scene Bret was funny because he told him he wasn't finished yet. It was cute. Not that he was giving me special treatment just that he was being polite enough to make sure i got my picture. ;)
ines

by boomqueen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:46 am

yay! he witnessed the famous flighties sign! lol
boomqueen
You don't have to be a prostitute

by alexandriaj22 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 am

he IS kind of really attractive
*runs and hides, taking my older man obsession with me*
alexandriaj22
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

by Katie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:19 am

Actually, I was just looking at the LA photos (again) a few nights ago, and I wondered who he was. He is kind of a hottie! So if he's been around since the Texan Odyssey days, is he from NZ?
Katie
Totally Fine

by chrissycubana » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:27 am

Here's a bit of info on him:
"Mike Martinovich spent his entire corporate career with CBS Records/Sony Music (marketing-vice-president) where he played an integral role in the successes of Billy Joel, Barbra Streisand, Placido Domingo, Michael Jackson, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Journey, James Taylor and Pink Floyd. In Nashville, he led the marketing team which launched Ricky Van Shelton's successful career, designed the marketing campaign career which gave Dolly Parton and Patty Loveless their first platinum album in years, and spearheaded the marketing thrust behind Joe Diffie, Collin Raye and Mary Chapin Carpenter. He directed the dramatic revival of Tammy Wynette's career in the early 1990's. Martinovich parlayed his knowledge and experience into a successful marketing consulting firm working with record labels, artist management firms, radio, music retail, and the world of media in conceiving and developing marketing opportunities within the entertainment industry." - (http://www.angel-faith.net/AllAccessHerLabel.htm)

And...

"MIKE MARTINOVICH has worked in the music industry since 1990. His first job was as a coordinator doing tour publicity for Evelyn Shriver Public Relations in Nashville, TN (Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Tammy Wynette). From 1992 to 2000, Mike worked at Epic and London/Sire Records doing radio promotion in Philadelphia, Washington DC, and New York. In 2001, he started managing bands and currently represents: My Morning Jacket, Flight of the Conchords, Elvis Perkins in Dearland, Shivaree, and Sarabeth Tucek" - (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://2008.sxsw.com/img/panelists/mike_martinovich.jpg&imgrefurl=http://2008.sx sw.com/music/conference/panels_schedule/%3Faction%3Dbio%26id%3D31309&h=150&w=200&sz=10&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=QNeDP-dIh GyhzM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMike%2BMartinovich%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4DGUS_en___US244%26sa%3DN)

AND (one more)

"Mike Martinovich is many things: manager of My Morning Jacket and Flight of the Conchords, husband to supercool wife Sue, Champion of leisure sports, and fine wine enthusiast. Mr. Martinovich works hard, kicks ass and takes names.

Michael Dimitry is the proud father of excellent baby Stefan and two precocious kitties.

Following are his answers to The LP Questionnaire:

Name: Mike Martinovich
Pro Wrestling Name: Red Fury

1. Pretend it's 1985. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend:
"Night" by Bruce Springsteen from Born To Run
"You're A Big Girl Now" by Bob Dylan from Blood On The Tracks
"Love My Way" by Psychedelic Furs from Mirror Moves

2. Which evil villain would make the best president? Mitch McConnell

3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? Looney Tunes

4. What superpower do you wish you had? I'd love to be able to turn loaves into fishes and water into wine....really good wine. Re: To conquer world hunger.

5. What would the title of your autobiography be? A Connecticut Serbian In The Emperor's New Clothes Goes To Washington" - (Mike Martinovich is many things: manager of My Morning Jacket and Flight of the Conchords, husband to supercool wife Sue, Champion of leisure sports, and fine wine enthusiast. Mr. Martinovich works hard, kicks ass and takes names.

Michael Dimitry is the proud father of excellent baby Stefan and two precocious kitties.

(http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/vel14/2007/10/lp-questionnaire-mike-martinovich-of_08.html)

Wow - the wonders of google! :)

chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by step0nmi » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:40 pm

lol chrissy! (that last part did it twice) this is really interesting stuff...I don't know if the guys choose him or if he found them but it seems like the right fit for them (based off of who he's managed) this is really interesting stuff and I am glad I got to know the man behind those sex gods! ;D ;)
step0nmi

by hellomyfriend » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:00 am

I definitely do not see any hotness (sorry, Mike), but I'm sure he's a great guy. 8-)
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Return to Conchordian Cohorts