Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

The Phoenix Foundation

Rhys, Kristen, Arj, Taika, Nigel, The Phoenix Foundation, Eugene, Demetri, Aziz and more.

by emira » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Piece of Featherston lays foundations

By Tessa Johnstone | Monday, July 2, 2012 9:34

HAPPY ENDING: The Phoenix Foundation at Tarureka Estate, Featherston. Left to right: Lee Prebble (producer), Tom Callwood, Conrad Wedde, Will Ricketts, Samuel Scott and Luke Buda. Richie Singleton was absent. PHOTO/TESSA JOHNSTONE

The name "Feathersby" is being thrown around as a potential title for The Phoenix Foundation's new album, after an intensive recording session at Featherston's Tarureka Estate.

Guitarist and vocalist for the Wellington band, Samuel Scott, said the group had enjoyed the relative isolation of Featherston over the last two weeks.

"We've got the whole band in the barn recording live, away from the families and responsibility and distractions of the city."

Mr Scott's mum, Helen Forlong, who owns Tarureka Estate, had urged them to use the historic property to record.

"This two-week gap was the only time of year there isn't a wedding every weekend, so we jumped on it, bringing every bit of gear we had out here and took advantage of it."

Recording of the band's fifth album started in Ponsonby, Auckland and Mr Scott said the Featherston recordings had got them 60 to 70 per cent there.

He said there's no doubt the Tarureka will influence the album's sound.

"There's a definite sound to the old barn. The wood in there is really old, really dry and it has a beautiful tone. You can't help but be sort of absorbed in that rural environment."

Mr Scott said that the estate, which used to be home to the Tarureka Butter Factory, has a really "nice feel" to it.

"Sometimes we get caught in the cruisyness, sitting by the fire having conversations, having a nice mellow time and then we realise we have to make some music and our minds explode and we get back to it."

Mr Scott said with inner-city studios being shut down because they are unaffordable, Featherston's proximity becomes attractive to artists.

"What attracts musicians to Wairarapa is you can afford to have space and time.

"The reality is it's only 50 minutes drive from downtown Wellington and real estate is really cheap."

The Phoenix Foundation's new album will be released in 2013.

Wairarapa Times-Age

Photos from the recording are in their fb albums: The Academy Purple and B Studio

2013! Soon, we'll have another album craze #wah# #excited#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:25 pm

The last two weeks were awesome. The best recording experience we have had I reckon. Thanks to all who made it happen/loaned gear/loaned time/was awesome; Lee Prebble Surgery Studios, Helen Tarureka Estate, Brett Stanton, Ollie Labonne, MMM, Mike August, FAMILY CACTUS, David Berry, Jeremy Taylor...

fb

Mike Fabulous was involved in this?! :o #excited# #love3#
emira

by emira » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:02 pm

There are some things I don't like about New Zealand (oh no! How is it possible?! :o :P ) and this stupid bureaucracy is one of them. #fit#

Globe-trotting musician's bid to be Kiwi foiled
'Too much time' playing overseas with Phoenix Foundation
TOM HUNT
Last updated 05:00 23/07/2012

MAARTEN HOLL/Fairfax NZ
UNCERTAIN FUTURE: Will Ricketts has lived in New Zealand since he was 2 but has been told his application for citizenship is likely to be turned down because of the time he has spent out of the country.

The government has flown him around the world to promote Kiwi culture but Phoenix Foundation's Will Ricketts may be denied New Zealand citizenship.

The popular Wellington band's co-writer, percussionist and keyboardist moved with his family from London to Wellington when he was aged 2. But he was told by the Internal Affairs Department last week that it would recommend that its minister, Chris Tremain, deny his application for citizenship because he had spent too much time out of New Zealand.

Each time Ricketts has spent significant time outside New Zealand in the past five years, it has been to play with Phoenix Foundation. This has included gigs on the popular British television show, Later With Jools Holland, and the Glastonbury Festival.

The department's stance has been labelled by friend and Phoenix Foundation collaborator Taiki Waititi as "classic NZ hospitality".

Phoenix Foundation vocalist and guitarist Samuel Scott said time spent out of New Zealand was often with support from the New Zealand Music Commission, to showcase Kiwi music.

"I have known Will more than half my life and to think of him as anything other than a New Zealander seems absurd."

Ricketts has had New Zealand residency since emigrating from England in 1981.

"When I go to London, I miss Wellington. I miss the landscape. I miss my friends. I miss everything about being here and I feel like I'm an outsider when I go to London.

"The whole thing of being a New Zealander and not really being a New Zealander is upsetting."

Citizenship would make him legally a New Zealander and although he has residency status, his ability to live here depended on the whims of politics, he said.

When he visited the department on Thursday he was told he could pay $470 to put a case to the minister in favour of his application but the department would still fight it. He could reapply in another five years but would probably be in the same situation, as New Zealand bands were forced to work overseas to survive and Phoenix Foundation had a growing fan base in Europe.

His parents, Victoria University literature professor Harry Ricketts and Rita Ricketts, who now teaches economics at Cambridge University in England, have New Zealand citizenship.

A department spokesman could not comment but said recommendations were made to the minister on set criteria, including that applicants had to have spent 240 days in New Zealand for each of the past five years.

source
emira

by emira » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:30 pm

#rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#
emira

by gezyka » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:06 pm

emira wrote:Image

That is amazing. #notworthy# #heart# #kiwi# #blowkiss#
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by emira » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:45 pm

gezyka wrote:That is amazing. #notworthy# #heart# #kiwi# #blowkiss#

Without the beer, Will wouldn't be that convicing. #lol#
emira

by emira » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:00 am

Richie is leaving the band. After 12 years. #cry# #cry# #cry# #cry# #cry# #cry# #cry# #cry# #cry# #cry#

He's going to work for the environment. #love3# but also #sadlove# I will so miss him. #sadlove#

I wasn't as sad when Warner left after recording Buffalo, because I didn't get to meet him and his replacement, Tom, is a great and sweet guy, but Richie is just the best and such a honey. I hope they'll find a good drummer. Who knows, maybe they've already got someone in their mind.

#sadlove#
emira

by emira » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:05 pm

So, two updates:

1) Will got the NZ citizenship #excited# #clap#

2) I was 98% sure that Craig Terris is going to be the new drummer, since the band has made quite a buzz about him and his new album recently, but I was wrong. It's Chris O'Connor. He seems like a great person and drummer and he has a quite impressive beard, so he fits in. #haha#
emira

by emira » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:38 pm

For anyone who's not sure about who's who in the band, here's the latest family photo:

from the left: Brett Stanton (sound guy), Luke Buda (vocal, guitar), Chris O'Connor (the new drummer), Tom Callwood (bass), Ollie Labone (tech, on stage help and other stuff I'm not aware of guy), Sam Scott (vocal, guitar), Conrad Wedde (guitar), Will Ricketts (percussion).

EDIT: the photo was taken by their manager, Craig.
emira

by emira » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:56 am

Q&A - The Phoenix Foundation at Laneway

04 December 2012

The fourth annual Laneway Festival will take place at Auckland’s Silo Park on Monday 28th January with a cast of international acts and local favourites. We caught up with The Phoenix Foundation's Samuel Flynn Scott ahead of the band's performance on the day.

Who’s holding down your rhythm section now Richie Singleton has moved on?

Chris O'Connor, he is amazing. As many will know he has played with SJD and Don McGlashan in recent years, but Tom (Callwood) has played with him for a very long time in lot's of unique and experimental groups. So yeah, we now have a new rhythm section who happen to have played together an awful lot. It's really worked out for the best. It was a shock though, I love Richie, he is a great friend and it totally freaked me out when he decided to move on. I think will go on to do wonderful things for our planet, he is really an amazing person.

Can we expect any new Phoenix Foundation material to be performed at Laneway?

Yes, we are finishing up a new record so we will play a number of new tunes for sure. I think we debuted 'Buffalo' and 'Bitte Bitte' the last time we played Laneway so it's becoming a bit of a tradition. Hopefully a couple of tracks will be available for people to hear around that time. I love hearing bands play new material, but I enjoy it more when I have heard the song maybe once or twice.

How do you go about choosing a set list with four albums under your belt?

There are certain songs we probably won't ever play live again (like 'Sally' I can't handle my youthful angst!) but we have been trying to change the set a bit. It's hard, unfortunately everyone has an opinion, the world would be a much better place if everyone just followed my lead.

Describe the gear set-up you’ll be using on the day?

What do you a want a channel list and our back line rider? It's pretty boring, a couple of fender amps, an AC30, a great bass amp that goes DONK DONK BOING. We do a lot of new guitar pedals and little gizmos. We use a lot of vintage synths, fair light samples and what not so we use MainStage and a trio of midi keyboards for that stuff. We don't really know what Chris is going to bring live. I'm sure that between him and Will there will be lots of freak percussive sounds. We might be entering our Martin Denny phase. Maybe I'll do a nerdy rundown of our whole set-up and put on Facebook. There is probably three people in the world who care. I do not want to let them down.

Do you have any pre-performance warm up routines or rituals?

We sing 'The Banana Boat Song'. It breaths life in the shadows of the darkest, coldest heart.

Do you have any special rider requirements?

Our rider is really boring. I'm ashamed of how boring. We need something utterly unattainable on there. I'd like solution to the middle east peace crises and two dozen local craft beers.

What else is on the cards for 2013?

New album, UK and EU touring, NZ tours. I'm not sure, someone has a grand plan. I can't think past finishing the new album. It consumes ever corner of my mortal soul.

If you weren’t playing Laneway 2013, you’d be…

Playing Words With Friends and wishing that I was playing Laneway 2013.

One question we should have asked you is? (and the answer please)

You should have asked me if I'm feeling ok; yes I'm feeling pretty good, thanks for asking.

NZ Musician

#love3# #lol# #lol# #excited2# #excited2# #excited2# #excited2# #excited2#
emira

by emira » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 am

The Phoenix Foundation will tour Europe in May and June. The dates should be on their facebook up soon-ish. #excited2# #excited2# #excited2# #excited2# #excited2# #excited2#
emira

by emira » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:06 am

May 10 – The Deaf Institute, Manchester, UK
May 16 – Thekla, Bristol, UK

tickets on sale 31 January! #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited#

Now, London and Glasgow, please! #cheer#
emira

by emira » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:49 pm

emira

by blondesnotbombs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:24 pm

#excited# #excited# #excited#

(But also #sadlove# )
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by emira » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:11 pm

blondesnotbombs wrote:#excited# #excited# #excited#

(But also #sadlove# )

#therethere# still nothing about a US tour #sadlove# I wish they surprised us this time. #pray# After all, America is closer to NZ than Europe.
emira

PreviousNext

Return to Conchordian Cohorts