Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

We are truly lucky

2008 North American tour and all other 2008 gigs here.

by sally » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:12 pm

I never thought I would be the type of person to think less of someone because they don't take that kind of time, but even if she had waved and said , "Thanks for hanging out. I'm just really tired." it would have been something and taken her two seconds. I still admire her voice and I love the She & Him album, but just wasn't cool at all. She doesn't owe it, and I wasn't really sad, but why have fans if you're going to do that?

Even Eddie Izzard...EDDIE IZZARD came outside of the Chicago theatre and explained that his show takes a lot of his energy and he couldn't physically sign every autograph and pose for every photo, but he did do a talk back and even said hello to a little girl and thanked her for giving him nail polish that night. And everyone understood.

It's just so easy for a person in Bret and Jemaine's position to make a person's day. It must be so strange for them to think of it in that light, but I think they realize it. And thank goodness for that.

And p.s., oh my gosh, I love you people! :)
*~I don't think that's right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.~*
sally
Bowie's in space

by chloe » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:37 pm

The guys can never do wrong so long as they keep doing what they love. Yep, they've got a fan for life here, too. ^_^
chloe
The Unf! Fairy

by step0nmi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:51 pm

Amily wrote:There's no getting rid of us now is there Steph? ;)

HA HA! no. there's. not. ;) :D
step0nmi

by chickenkarma » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:17 pm

sally wrote:

And p.s., oh my gosh, I love you people! :)

*hugs*
chickenkarma
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by sharona65 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:55 pm

wowzer!! i'm not so eloquent with words...and you guys have really said it all already. so, just a few adds from me.....

sally wrote:And p.s., oh my gosh, I love you people! :)

i love all yous people too!!! ;D :-* ;D :-*

Amily wrote:There's no getting rid of us now is there...

well, if they skinned my cats, i prolly wouldn't be a fan anymore. :-X
although, at this stage in the game, i don't really see that happening. so i think we're good.

please inform me if i'm the only one here with a sick/dry sense of humor.
sharona65

by thedistantfuture » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:23 am

*Spreads arms out way wide as if to huge entire message board*
thedistantfuture

by SheWolf » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:12 pm

A previous obsession of mine shunned most fan interaction and on the rare occasion that he did interact with fans he seemed to be doing it out of obligation and didn’t look very enthused. In retrospect I think I made excuses for his behavior simply because I was into him. I’m not saying that a performer owes us anything more than a good performance but FOTC have made me realize that it doesn’t take much to make a huge positive impression on fans. With the exception of festival shows & Largo (which I think are very different sort of shows -oops there’s San Fran too– still don’t know what that was all about) Bret & Jem were troopers greeting and taking their time with fans and smiling every night of the tour even though they were probably beat. They were genuinely nice guys and seemed to be doing it because they wanted to, not because it was expected.

When I got tickets for their show my friend and I joked that maybe we’d run into them in town before the show. We had no idea we’d have the opportunity to meet them so when it was as simple as standing outside the venue we were amazed. They made fans beyond happy with their meet and greets and it wasn’t just coz they were doing it, it was because they were happy, charming and generous while doing it. At one of the NYC shows when someone asked Bret for a picture he said, “everyone will get a picture.” and I think that's the kind of attitude that endears them to us so much more.

SheWolf
Let's boom the boom

by step0nmi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:01 pm

SheWolf wrote: Bret & Jem were troopers greeting and taking their time with fans and smiling every night of the tour even though they were probably beat. They were genuinely nice guys and seemed to be doing it because they wanted to, not because it was expected.

I totally agree! and I think that's cool that you went without expectations...probably made it all the more sweeter! :D
step0nmi

by caiknbake » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:41 am

i'm so glad someone started this thread :) just thinking about this makes my heart feel like it's growing more than three sizes, like it might burst out of my chest with love for bret and jemaine and all of you. and having been a performer most of my life (though of course not on the same scale), i've had the occasional experience where someone i didn't know wanted to come up to me after the show to compliment me or talk to me, and let me tell you it is NOT easy to know how to act graciously in that sort of situation. the fact that even when the guys are tired or hungry or in a hurry, even when they really have to leave (like at the last largo show), they still smile at us and wave and make an effort to interact positively with us is downright amazing. it makes me want to hug them all the more. and i'm so pleased that we have such a substantial (and growing!) community of fans who can keep this situation in perspective and be grateful for everything they do for us. i know i feel honored (or should i say honoured?) to be among such wonderful people. *hugs for flighties* *hugs for j&b*
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by SheWolf » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:03 am

caiknbake wrote:let me tell you it is NOT easy to know how to act graciously in that sort of situation.

I guess you just say thank you right? There's not much else you can say.

I don't feel comfortable complimenting *celebs* in that way so I didn't. I prefer to be on a chummy level not on the level of "you're so great", but that's just me. I did see people tell both Bret & Jemaine how much they enjoyed the show and that kind of thing and they mostly kept it short and sweet which was nice. Otherwise I think it could get quite awkward.
SheWolf
Let's boom the boom

by SheWolf » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:12 am

step0nmi wrote:
SheWolf wrote: Bret & Jem were troopers greeting and taking their time with fans and smiling every night of the tour even though they were probably beat. They were genuinely nice guys and seemed to be doing it because they wanted to, not because it was expected.

I totally agree! and I think that's cool that you went without expectations...probably made it all the more sweeter! :D

I hadn't thought of it that way before but you're right. It was the first show of the tour so we didn't know what to expect. We didn't have tix to the NYC show but a friend really wanted to meet them and have them sign some drawings she made so we went there 2 days later so she could do that (and so we could see them again ;)) and although it was exciting, it wasn't as special as the first time when it all seemed to happen so quickly and Jem just materialized in front of me, looking at me and I was going - whooooaaaahhhhh!!!
SheWolf
Let's boom the boom

by boomqueen » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:35 pm

I don't know if anyone has said this yet...but I wouldn't decide that zooey is a bitch or not humble just from one night.

I personally love her and...maybe she wasn't in a 'happy, wave at the fans' kind of mood that night. I don't think saying I "LIKED" her...and I didn't know "she was like that" is a fair conclusion to make and I don't think you should think differently of her over one experience.

I guess I want to keep hope that she is a good person until I or someone I know actually meets her
boomqueen
You don't have to be a prostitute

by sunnyringo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:12 pm

*boom-queen* wrote:I don't know if anyone has said this yet...but I wouldn't decide that zooey is a bitch or not humble just from one night.

I personally love her and...maybe she wasn't in a 'happy, wave at the fans' kind of mood that night. I don't think saying I "LIKED" her...and I didn't know "she was like that" is a fair conclusion to make and I don't think you should think differently of her over one experience.

I agree, but I didn't want to say anything that might derail the Bret & Jemaine appreciation train (choo choo!). I agree that they are wonderful guys and were extremely generous with the fans during their tour. I'm happy that the people on this board don't hold a grudge towards the guys for the times that they haven't stopped for the crowd after their shows and are able to look past their disappointment and see the big picture. I'm sorry to the fans who didn't get their chance with Zooey that night, but I do hope that nobody would judge a celebrity they once liked based on one minor incident.

*boom-queen* wrote:I guess I want to keep hope that she is a good person until I or someone I know actually meets her

I didn't really meet her, but I saw her briefly a few years ago in Los Angeles. She walked over to me to tell me how cute my son was. I was too shy to say anything to her (I'm such a loser :-/ ), but she seemed very sweet.

Honestly? Even if she was a raging bitch Almost Famous + She & Him = lots of love from Sam. And she plays ukulele!! </fangirling>

After reading this thread I have to say that I must be very lucky. I've yet to have a bad experience with anybody that I REALLY admired. They've all been wonderful and just as generous and gracious as Bret & Jemaine when it comes to their fans. The dicks were all people I didn't care about anyways. :P
sunnyringo

by boomqueen » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Yay! I'm glad you had a good story to tell...

oh and she is in so many good movies! I love her deadpan acting!!

Also loved her in weeds...and even blockbusters like failure to launch and ELF!

I loved Eulogy and she is in some other good indie films....but i'll stop going on about her lol

She is definitely my fav actress...but I am terrible for not knowing she had a band :(

I'm totally looking them up!!!
boomqueen
You don't have to be a prostitute

by sally » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:39 pm

*boom-queen* wrote:I don't know if anyone has said this yet...but I wouldn't decide that zooey is a bitch or not humble just from one night.

I guess I want to keep hope that she is a good person until I or someone I know actually meets her

Yeah, and I didn't start the thread to bash her by any means. I know, if I were in any way famous, I wouldn't feel up to greeting fans every single night. I'm barely up to hanging with friends after work sometimes. My point was just that, it is truly unique what Jemaine and Bret bring to the table in that respect. They do more meet and greets than anyone I've ever heard of, and for that we are lucky. Because they certainly didn't have to.

I still like Zooey and still love She and Him 100% and will admit to judging her a bit too harshly at first. It is not her job to sign autographs. Which makes Bret and Jemaine even more remarkable in my eyes.

I did feel horrible for my friend who would love to propose marriage to her, however. Mainly because he couldn't find me after the Conchords show to meet the guys and, because I did, he thought I was some sort of good luck charm when it came to winning Zooey's affection. Sorry, Mike. :(
*~I don't think that's right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.~*
sally
Bowie's in space

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 North American Tour