Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

We are truly lucky

2008 North American tour and all other 2008 gigs here.

by sally » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:50 am

I've said this many times since the tour, but Conchords fans are extremely lucky. Not only was the tour amazing, but the guys bend over backwards and go out of their way to make sure their fans feel appreciated. Time and time again, I have worried about whether or not I was bothering them by asking for photos, autographs, etc. But then I realize that they could just as easily ignore all of those requests. I know that, recently, there have been a few shows where they've left immediately and not greeted fans, but we can't have everything, right guys? The fact that they did that after almost every show on the tour really says something about them.

I'm bringing all of this up because I saw She & Him on Tuesday night in Chicago. If you guys don't know who that is, Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. It was a fantastic concert, pretty intimate, and Zooey seemed to be in high spirits. My friend Mike looooves her, so we decided to wait around and see if he could say hi to her afterward. We waited outside the venue for over an hour. Once she came out, she walked right past the crowd. She didn't even look in our direction. She got on the bus, and left.

Now, I am not saying she was obligated to do anything. God knows how I would feel while touring. I know it has to be exhausting. But, she could have at least waved. There were only 20 people waiting. I counted. I saw Bret and Jemaine greet a line of people that stretched the length of an alley behind the Chicago theatre. What's more than that, they seemed happy to do it. Even though they were tired and Bret was "in a hurry," they did it.

No wonder we're "obsessed," no wonder their popularity seems to double itself daily. These guys are likeable. You just feel as if you know them. And that's all because they do take the time to reach out to us. Getting to greet your favorite performers after a show is not a right, it's an honor. The icing on the cake. I know we all appreciated it happening, but I appreciate those moments even more when I see the flipside of it and what it could have been. I hope, if I am ever in that position, I remember how Bret and Jemaine adored their fans while touring. If it weren't for your fans, you wouldn't have success. I'm just glad Bret and Jemaine took the time to make us feel important.
*~I don't think that's right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.~*
sally
Bowie's in space

by thedistantfuture » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:02 pm

I completely agree and you worded it perfectly. We are really lucky.
I've only seen the once live and afterward they sped away in their car...but not before waving and shouting "Thank You!". I didn't even care that I didn't meet them all that much,I was just happy by the simple fact that they took time to even say something :)

(And I hate Zooey Deschanel...always have. Now this just adds to my dislike for her :P)
thedistantfuture

by ohjeez » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:20 pm

*claps*

thanks for that sally! i completely agree with your post. although i was one of those unlucky few who did not get to meet bret and jemaine during the tour, i was and still am in awe every time i read a meet and greet story. they do not have to stay after the show and greet fans, especially the large crowds that gather at the end of their shows, but they do it anyway. and like you said, they seem to genuinely enjoy it. i love that they keep all of the gifts and that bret gave out chocolates [CHOCOLATE?! hah never gets old ;)]. they take pictures and sign things...and even do video shoutouts, even if the person seems kind of pushy [ahem guy who wanted a shoutout for his girlfriend]. plus who could ever forget the SIGN that they held up for us?

bret and jemaine do not owe us anything. they have already given us a wonderful show and for many of us, a way to meet other people with similar tastes and interests. i can't tell you how many times i've felt frustrated or sad and turned to the show or even this board [i'm looking at you I CAN HAZ FOTC thread haha] to cheer myself up. getting to see them live was an awesome experience and their show was definitely one of the best concerts i've ever been to. i will admit that i was upset that i could not meet them that night [i mean, i am human] especially after reading all the wonderful stories that others have posted, but i got over it. i realized they aren't obligated to do meet and greets. the fact that they did met with their fans at almost every single show during that tour is simply amazing. despite the fact that they looked exhausted or in bret's case, ready to pass out, they soldiered on and took pictures, signed things, and made the day of many, many fans. i still remember reading about the amoeba signing and how they both continued to do the signing even though it had been five hours or something because they wanted to get to every single fan waiting in line. now that is pretty amazing.

i know lately they haven't been doing meet and greets, but i think that's understandable. they're probably still stressed about the show now that we're getting closer to the fall/filming. i hope that they next time they tour, they'll do meet and greets once more and we'll have some new stories to squee over. ;)
ohjeez
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by Katie » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:40 pm

Very well said, Casey and Cynthia! And Haley! I actually just went back to the "I'm with the band" section and re-read a lot of the stories. We really are incredibly lucky that they're so generous to their fans. When I first heard FOTC were planning to tour, I never in a million years thought I would get the chance to meet them. It still feels unreal.

Not only that, I feel so lucky to be able to connect with all of you amazing people!
Katie
Totally Fine

by hellomyfriend » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:01 pm

thedistantfuture wrote:(And I hate Zooey Deschanel...always have. Now this just adds to my dislike for her :P)

I've always been okay with her, but this certainly makes me see her differently. I didn't realize she was so Hollywood. :-/
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by hellomyfriend » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:02 pm

sally wrote:... No wonder we're "obsessed," no wonder their popularity seems to double itself daily. These guys are likeable. You just feel as if you know them. And that's all because they do take the time to reach out to us. Getting to greet your favorite performers after a show is not a right, it's an honor. The icing on the cake. I know we all appreciated it happening, but I appreciate those moments even more when I see the flipside of it and what it could have been. I hope, if I am ever in that position, I remember how Bret and Jemaine adored their fans while touring. If it weren't for your fans, you wouldn't have success. I'm just glad Bret and Jemaine took the time to make us feel important.

This part almost made me teary. :D
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by thedistantfuture » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Katie wrote:

Not only that, I feel so lucky to be able to connect with all of you amazing people!

DITTO THAT! ;D
thedistantfuture

by Amily » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks for making this thread Casey. You've said all the things that I think on a daily basis. The boys are amazing and I think I may tend to tell them that too often? Hehe I can't help it though, I just want to make sure they know EVERYTHING they do is more than appreciated.

I've had other "obsessions" but none like this and like you said I can only chalk it up to the things they've done and continue to do for us, their fans. They're two of a kind and I believe there is no one else like them in this world. Not only that though, but they've brought so much more to my life like meeting all of you and making some of the best friends I've ever had and when I'm depressed I can just turn on the DVD and for those moments while I'm watching it I can forget about everything wrong in my life. Guhhh I could go on and on about them... there aren't enough good words in the dictionary to describe how I feel about them.

They've got a fan for life in me.
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by christi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:31 pm

Amily wrote:

They've got a fan for life in me.

And me!!
christi
Smokin' with an eye that's broken

by lixxx » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:10 pm

you girls all put it perfectly. they really make this world feel so much better with them around. i know it sounds cheesy but its true. you see all the bad things in the world, but when im watching the dvd, or listening to the cds, and especially when im on here just connecting with you all, i forget about everything else. :D

and im pretty surprise at Zoey's attitude. i didnt think she was like that. i really liked her, this will definitely make me think less of her.
lixxx
Banana Balls

by rhymenocerous » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:25 pm

I agree with every sentiment in this thread!!! I think that this is a big reason their fans are so loyal. Even if they do not do a meet-and-greet after every show, the fact that we know so many who have experienced this and that they take the time to acknoledge their fans makes them aces in my book :D

I think another reason for the lack of a meet-and-greet of late is that they are trying to finish off the season 2 writing and they will probably be without their SOs for a while when filming. The LA folks should be really happy that they wanted to try out the new material on an audience, which may be a big driver for all the LA shows of late.

On a side note, I am also a fan of comedian Mary Mack, who I email infrequently and she emails back. As a matter of fact she is coming to Seattle and has accepted my offer to meet up after the show for a drink. She has a REALLY small fan base, and I am sure that this will not continue if she makes it big, but I bet the guys did this as well early on in their carreers, which I think majoirly changes how an artist thinks of their fans.

Thanks for this thread!!!
rhymenocerous

by chloe » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:19 pm

*echoes all the sentiments here* I'm one of the few who didn't get to meet them and went home and cried after the Davies Hall show, though that was entirely because I was mad at how poorly the audience behaved and thought that might have been the reason the guys left. I was so ashamed of all those people. I mean, you're right, the guys really have no obligation to go out to their fans and give them their time (and chocolate!) and I just wanted to give them something of my own that I'd made to let them know they're still appreciated.
Well, I'll get to one day. I'm just happy that I've gotten to see them perform live three times now. :D
chloe
The Unf! Fairy

by heidi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:44 pm

This thread shows exactly why I love the message board!
heidi
I'm not crying

by step0nmi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:59 pm

you know how lucky we are? I've been in love with Jewel since I was 14...and I have seen 2 concerts of hers.... and the last one she was in a very small town near me and I could see her on her bus. she had already gotten on the bus right after her show and didn't say anything to anyone...that was my last and only chance to meet her and there were only like 10 people outside waiting. I cried that night because I knew I was never going to get to meet my idol. someone that had helped me through a lot through music.

now we have these two guys that have been around for a while trying to make it and had the guts to come out and meet a few hundred crazed fans at every show...that's amazing and generous and I feel sooo LUCKY to have met them...I will never forget it.

yes...they have a fan for life no matter what they do now.
step0nmi

by Amily » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:04 pm

There's no getting rid of us now is there Steph? ;)
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

Next

Return to 2008 North American Tour