Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

May 13 - Minneapolis, MN

2008 North American tour and all other 2008 gigs here.

by boomqueen » Wed May 14, 2008 12:40 am

i have a day off after tomorrow so its ok if i'm super tired...as long as i don't sleep in again lol
boomqueen
You don't have to be a prostitute

by maile » Wed May 14, 2008 5:57 am

just read ashley's encounter in the shoutbox.... AMAZING!!! ahhh he likes your bum! hahahahaha you have so much guts, i dont think im gonna be able to joke around with him because im probably going to be crying! lol i hope my encounter is as awesome as yours!!! cant wait to hear more details!!!
maile
Lost but happy at sea

by thegreenrectangle » Wed May 14, 2008 8:06 am

Alright, I remember things pretty well. Except for parts of the show, but who can memorize the WHOLE show? :P Here goes...

Okay, starting off with a bit about the show... I don't think they played as many songs here as they did at some of the other shows, but that's because there was so much banter between songs. We were a pretty distracting crowd, so we managed to derail them numerous times. Plus, there were a bunch of technical difficulties. Jemaine's stuff kept falling off the table, Bret kicked over his keytar, and then his microphone kept having problems. But that's probably because he was always chucking it about. When Jemaine was doing Freebird, once he got to the part where he started mumbling, someone in the front rows started singing it really loud, so Bret tossed his microphone stand down into the crowd. It didn't go as planned though, because I think it hit someone's face. The incident was fodder for some pretty hilarious banter. Then a little later the mic kept screwing up, and they had to actually start Bus Drivers Song twice because Bret had to pause to spike his microphone on the floor. But it worked after that, so I guess that's good. :P People kept throwing notes onto the stage, which I found to be incredibly rude, but it got some laughs. Jemaine actually picked one up and read it and he looked REALLY embarassed. We kept trying to get them to read the notes out loud, but Jemaine wouldn't. Overall, it was a pretty amazing show.

Alright, now for AFTER the show...

We ended up waiting for over two hours for the guys to come out. That was kind of ridiculous, but Bret did apologize once they came out. It was flippin' freezing out there too. So Bret was the first one we met. I wanted to handle the encounter very professionally :P so when he turned to me I gave him a nice big handshake and this is sort of how the conversation went:

Me- Good evening, sir.
Bret- Wow, that's very professional.
Me- Thanks, I try.
Bret- What's your name?
Me- I'm Mike. [showed him the shirt] I'm one of those Flighties.
Bret- Oh, yeah, I heard about you guys in that show we did tonight.

After that, I had a picture taken then had him sign the poster that came with the album. He wrote "Hey Mike, keep on rockin the mic' then the signature and the guitar. He also drew a little conversation bubble from the bird at the top of the picture that said 'Hi Mike... tweet...' There was more conversation between him, myself, and my brother but I don't remember the specifics there. Now onto Jemaine...

When I first walked over, he was still talking to Ashley Marie. He said that he really liked the city of Minneapolis, especially the theatre district there on Hennepin Avenue. We talked a little about the city and at one point he asked me where I live. In retrospect, I should've been more specific. :P Once I had him all to myself, it went like this:

Me- [same greeting as Bret] Nice to meet you, I'm Mike.
Jemaine- Hmm, strong grip, Mike. [looks me up and down] Are you a professional wrestler or something? [I'm a pretty large guy ;) ]
Me- No, but I am a Flighty. From what I hear, we love you.[at this point, I handed him the poster to sign] I've got a marker here too if you want.
Jemaine- No, I've got like a million markers here. It's part of my job. [he stops to read what Bret wrote] Hmm... that's pretty clever. I'm going to sort of go in the same direction with mine, the same sort of play on words.
Me- Oh, definitely. You're just sort of playing off of each other.
Jemaine- Exactly. It's sort of what we do for a living, you know. [Jemaine signs his 'Mike Control!']
Me- I think Bret could use a lesson in mic control. Always chucking it about in people's faces. [picture] That looks like a pretty warm coat.
Jemaine- Yes, it's pretty awesome.
Mike- Well, I envy you that.

Before I left, I asked him about Steph's cookies. He remembered them well, but apparently Bret was hording them. So he shouted out to Bret and asked him how the cookies were. Bret said they were great, and the attention to detail was amazing. He mentioned Steph's cakes too. Steph, the guys think you're a skilled baker. :D

And that was about it. I'll come up with some pictures eventually.
thegreenrectangle
I'm not crying

by thegreenrectangle » Wed May 14, 2008 8:12 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention...

When Arj came out, he talked to a few people, took a few pictures, but right before he left he looked at me for a second, squinting like he recognized me but didn't know where he recognized me from. Then he walked off looking stoned.
thegreenrectangle
I'm not crying

by alexandriaj22 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:13 am

AHHHHHHHH HOW EXCITING!
they seemed quite chatty here, they weren't talk talkative after the AA show (or as talkative as THIS). awww they KNOW us, like they know us-know us. and they liked the cookies.

as a favor, at another show, can someone ask Bret what he did with my brother's drawing??? i kind of wanted to know LOL
alexandriaj22
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

by ladytronzapatista » Wed May 14, 2008 8:14 am

VERY cool, Mike. Steph is going to have an aneurysm once she sees this! XD
ladytronzapatista
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by step0nmi » Wed May 14, 2008 8:24 am

WOW MIKE! I don't know how to say this.....YOU'RE THE BEST! This is such a neat story! i think everyone was worried that you weren't going to tell it in the "flighty" way...I think that your story is the coolest because you are the coolest!

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!THANK YOU!!!THANK YOU!!!
step0nmi

by maile » Wed May 14, 2008 8:40 am

ahhh mike thats so awesome. hahahahaha im glad we finally found out about steph's cookies!!!

alex- i'll ask about your brother's drawings if you like, if no one gets to them before me (friday) :)

does anyone know why it took them so long to come out?! im afraid i wont be able to wait that long (well im going to make sure i can... the two people im going with have work at 8 the next morning and columbus is a 3 hr drive.. lol.)

it seems to me that the more shows they do the more talkative they are with fans afterwards?
maile
Lost but happy at sea

by severine999 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:49 am

"Jemaine- [he stops to read what Bret wrote] Hmm... that's pretty clever. I'm going to sort of go in the same direction with mine, the same sort of play on words.
Me- Oh, definitely. You're just sort of playing off of each other.
Jemaine- Exactly. It's sort of what we do for a living, you know. [Jemaine signs his 'Mike Control!']"

This part cracks me up! Thanks for posting, Mike! Sounds like you had a great time!

severine999

by sharona65 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:11 am

fantastic freaking story mike!! thanks for sharing!! so happy for both you and ash!!!

alex wrote:as a favor, at another show, can someone ask Bret what he did with my brother's drawing??? i kind of wanted to know LOL

if i'm not falling apart tonight alex, i will try and ask!! yet, i make no promises that my brain will be screwed in correctly! :P
sharona65

by alexandriaj22 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:15 am

lol i think i sent you a myspace message asking if you would. as long as SOMEONE does i'm good lol

thank you!!!
alexandriaj22
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

by boomqueen » Wed May 14, 2008 11:04 am

"Bret- Oh, yeah, I heard about you guys in that show we did tonight."

'Hi Mike... tweet...'

"Before I left, I asked him about Steph's cookies. He remembered them well, but apparently Bret was hording them. So he shouted out to Bret and asked him how the cookies were."

Best three parts of your story right there lol

Bret is so cute! And he definitely needs the cookies more than anyone!! lol

boomqueen
You don't have to be a prostitute

by caiknbake » Wed May 14, 2008 1:10 pm

that is such a great story, mike!!! i love how you were all professional; i can understand the motivation there, but somehow i think i won't be so cool in the same situation ;) and i love that jemaine likes minneapolis! lol maybe i'm silly, but that was my favorite part of the story :D well, that and the fact that they loved the cookies (which i knew they would, haha)
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by chrissycubana » Wed May 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Mike...
"Me- I think Bret could use a lesson in mic control. Always chucking it about in people's faces. [picture] That looks like a pretty warm coat.
Jemaine- Yes, it's pretty awesome.
Mike- Well, I envy you that."

= awesomeness!!!

love your account of the meeting! thank you so much for sharing! ;)
"

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by ohjeez » Wed May 14, 2008 2:47 pm

aw i loved that you were totally professional. i'm sure that must have been different from what they've been experiencing lately. haha. :D
ohjeez
My shadow played a bass clarinet

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 North American Tour