Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

April 24 - Detroit, MI {LATE SHOW}

2009 North American tour and all other 2009 gigs here.

by Amily » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:19 am

Talk about the late show here!
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by kellysouthpaw » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:04 am

LOL - again: I'll be at both shows :)

I'm hoping they don't get rushed for the early show, and I also hope that they can get people out/seat the other people before the 2nd show.

Ugh, this means I'll have to get all my stuff, get out of the theater, then come right back in...LAME! Why can't I just turn in both tickets to both shows at the beginning? Maybe I can

*ponders*
kellysouthpaw
I like to rock the party!

by tornadogirl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:59 pm

Kelly, do not give up that ticket to the second show! They won't remember you.....come outside and meet up with us and we'll all go in together. :)
tornadogirl
Considering second-hand underpants

by kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:03 pm

The whole prospect of having to leave in the big crowd to get out of the theater and then immediately turn around and file in with another huge crowd for the second show is giving me a panic attack just thinking about it.

Have I mentioned before that crowds give me panic attacks?

[image]
kellysouthpaw

by tornadogirl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Yis. But remember you will have friends with you. :)

Believe me, I keep thinking of every conceivable bad thing that can happen.

~We go to our seats and find imposters sitting in them. :o Remember, Ticketmaster mailed our tix even tho they were spposed to be will-call only. So what if there's a duplicate set and they give them to someone else???
~They play a full 2 hours or longer for the 8 pm show and then start the 11 o'clock show a bit late, are tired, only play for an hour, no encores and no meet and greet. Nightmare!!

I will think positive thoughts......positive thoughts.....

And hey, you'll probably be in the lobby buying merchandise and can get back in easier!
tornadogirl

by luckym » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:33 pm

tornadogirl wrote:Believe me, I keep thinking of every conceivable bad thing that can happen.

~We go to our seats and find imposters sitting in them. :o Remember, Ticketmaster mailed our tix even tho they were spposed to be will-all only. So what if there's a duplicate set and they give them to someone else???

omg... I thought I was the only person who worried about that kind of thing!
luckym
I'll nibble chips off your hips

by tornadogirl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:51 pm

Nope, lol. If there's a tiny bit of worry-room, I'll slide into it. :) You are not alone.

I'm usually pretty good at thinking positive at the moment-of-truth, though!

Plus, worrying brings on interesting dreams. :)
tornadogirl

by Amily » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:05 pm

NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by kellysouthpaw » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:51 pm

There are NO WORDS for me right now. Just wait til I can get my thoughts and pictures together.

But let me just say these 5 words to let you know how intense this is:

His. Beard. TOUCHED. My. Face.
kellysouthpaw

by kellysouthpaw » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:02 pm

Here we go - this is going to be a comprehensive review - pictures and text at the same time :)

BEAR IN MIND - The usher sat on the end of my aisle, so I had to be super secretive about the pictures. I had the LCD screen covered and I don't have a viewfinder on my camera, so these were taken blind basically...so...be gentle on the blurriness / heads cut off, etc.

So - the guys come out with the robot getups on. Picture of some big delicious hands here:
[image]

During some banter here :) I believe this was when they were trying to figure out if all of Detroit was in the theater...asking about the population of Detroit...
[image]

Staaaaaaaannnaaaaaaaaaaa (which I really enjoyed by the way)
[image]

Reenactment of a Stana molestation (interjection here - during the 8 pm version of this song, it is also mentioned that Stana will molest everyone in your family - Bret: even your pets - Jemaine: *laugh* yes - and sometimes will molest you with your pets - using your pets...)
[image]

I'm not sure what song this is from – I apologize for the partial head cut-off :(
[image]

One of the best pictures I got from the show:
[image]

Some funny banter from the 11 pm:

Nigel: What a viry handsome audience you are, Detroit
Jemaine: Did you hear that, Detroit? Nigel LIKES you! -raises eyebrow-

Okay – meet and greet time.

It was a gorgeous night out – probably mid 60's at 2 in the morning. We waited for maybe 40 minutes before Bret came out. There was a big fence partition between us and him. “Hey guys!” he came out – very bouncy and smiley. He started walking along the fence and girls were putting their stuff under the fence to get him to sign it, but he just said, “I'm coming out, I'm gonna come out”. Laura, her husband, Michael and I stayed behind on purpose. People kept asking Bret where Jemaine was and he kept saying, “I'll bet he's coming out. I think he's coming out guys”. I just focused on seeing Bret. He truly is gorgeous in person – and so friendly. He'd just walk up to a couple of people and be like, “Heyyyy you guys!”. It was funny because during the 8 pm show he said during the show about everyone he told about their upcoming visit to Detroit kept saying, “Ooooooooh. Ouch. Uch!” Well when we were outside he was like, “This seems like a safe part of town!” and everyone was like, “It's not – it's not!” (Personally, I felt perfectly safe as long as I had people around me). He recounted for them what he said in the 8 pm show and then felt the need to affirm, “They said that! They DID say that, really!” like we wouldn't believe him :roll: Then he came to us. I don't want to steal Michael's thunder and recount what happened to him – but it's awesome, so I can't wait for him to tell it! Then Bret got to me :) I asked him very sheepishly if he'd sign my poster and he was more than happy to! I allowed him to use me as his table. He asked what my name was, so I told him, then spelled it. After I finished he kept naming random letters, “T...r...u...z...f?” and I said, “Yes, exactly like that”. So he wrote something then said, “Hmm” like he was figuring out what to say, so I offered, “maybe something heartfelt...but not weird” then felt like kicking myself when I heard him kind of nervously laugh. So he wrote away for a few minutes and then said, “There you go!” and then I asked if I could have a “photo” (because that's how he'd been saying it all night, even asking people after he signed stuff if they wanted a photo as well), and he said, “Photo op! Sure!” and Laura took this lovely picture :)
[image]

So Bret finishes up and goes back inside – then another 20-30 minutes and Jemaine comes out. Again, Laura, Tom, Michael and I hang back. The crowd REALLY thins once Jemaine starts getting through them. I took a small clip of video just because I wanted to remember what he sounded like just in talking to people (lame of me, I know). Jemaine is skinnier than I thought he'd be. I thought he'd be a bit larger - -shrug- no big deal or anything – just caught me off guard. I was a little gun shy after sounding so goofy after talking to Bret (re: “heartfelt but not weird”), so I had no idea what to say to Jemaine. My shyness just worsened...yuck. I REALLY wanted to compliment his shoes, but when I saw him and he finally got to me, my mind literally went blank. I asked him (again, VIRY sheepishly) to sign my poster, then offered my back if I needed it – he said he'd be fine. He even had his own sharpie). Then I asked if I could have a picture, he laughed a little (I assume at my shyness) and said, “Sure!” I think he either was touched by my painful shyness or he felt sorry for me, but either way he looked me straight in the eyes and said, “Would you like anything special?” and I looked down at my camera all embarrassed like, “Maybe a hug picture? If that's okay?” and he was like “Yeah okay!” So then he got in this weird...stance. Like he opened his arms way out and stuck his legs far apart. I had no idea how to hold onto that so I just put my arms around him. And where do our faces land but side by side. I felt his beard on my face – it was a little scruffily but oddly soft for a beard :hrm: Michael took this awesome photo of us, I think I'd like to get it blown up and framed:
[image]
And then Laura took this picture at the same time from a slightly different angle:
[image]

There was this girl who was like Jim from S2. Asking SO MANY questions. No doubt she'd had too much to drink. She just kept talking his ear off while he was trying to help people. Asking him what he took at college (to which he admitted he flunked out of theater/film college), asking him what literature/philosophy classes he'd taken (because his lyrics in HvR were so genius, she said...he said something about them just being from not being able to sleep at 4 am or something [image] ), and “Where did you learn to whisper like that to where you pronunciate so perfectly?” (I'm not even making this up). She also made some comment about how Jemaine was a genius just like John Lennon. She was...DRUNK [image]

When I got back to the hotel all I wanted to do was sleep – and since I had to be up at 7:00 am to be on the road by 7:30 (I had a bridal shower at noon to be at), and at this point it was going on 4 am, I went to sleep for a few hours. When I woke up, the first thing I thought of was, “It's over” and it felt like I had been shot through the heart. Such a horrible, horrible feeling. I am doing better now – but it'll probably happen again. I miss these guys. Before Jemaine left us to go back to the bus he said, “We'll be back...we'll be back” and I felt so much happiness when he said that. I sure hope so guys, I sure hope so [image]
kellysouthpaw

by sheila » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:06 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Here we go - this is going to be a comprehensive review - pictures and text at the same time :)

BEAR IN MIND - The usher sat on the end of my aisle, so I had to be super secretive about the pictures. I had the LCD screen covered and I don't have a viewfinder on my camera, so these were taken blind basically...so...be gentle on the blurriness / heads cut off, etc.

So - the guys come out with the robot getups on. Picture of some big delicious hands here:
[image]

During some banter here :) I believe this was when they were trying to figure out if all of Detroit was in the theater...asking about the population of Detroit...
[image]

Staaaaaaaannnaaaaaaaaaaa (which I really enjoyed by the way)
[image]

Reenactment of a Stana molestation (interjection here - during the 8 pm version of this song, it is also mentioned that Stana will molest everyone in your family - Bret: even your pets - Jemaine: *laugh* yes - and sometimes will molest you with your pets - using your pets...)
[image]

I'm not sure what song this is from – I apologize for the partial head cut-off :(
[image]

One of the best pictures I got from the show:
[image]

Some funny banter from the 11 pm:

Nigel: What a viry handsome audience you are, Detroit
Jemaine: Did you hear that, Detroit? Nigel LIKES you! -raises eyebrow-

Okay – meet and greet time.

It was a gorgeous night out – probably mid 60's at 2 in the morning. We waited for maybe 40 minutes before Bret came out. There was a big fence partition between us and him. “Hey guys!” he came out – very bouncy and smiley. He started walking along the fence and girls were putting their stuff under the fence to get him to sign it, but he just said, “I'm coming out, I'm gonna come out”. Laura, her husband, Michael and I stayed behind on purpose. People kept asking Bret where Jemaine was and he kept saying, “I'll bet he's coming out. I think he's coming out guys”. I just focused on seeing Bret. He truly is gorgeous in person – and so friendly. He'd just walk up to a couple of people and be like, “Heyyyy you guys!”. It was funny because during the 8 pm show he said during the show about everyone he told about their upcoming visit to Detroit kept saying, “Ooooooooh. Ouch. Uch!” Well when we were outside he was like, “This seems like a safe part of town!” and everyone was like, “It's not – it's not!” (Personally, I felt perfectly safe as long as I had people around me). He recounted for them what he said in the 8 pm show and then felt the need to affirm, “They said that! They DID say that, really!” like we wouldn't believe him :roll: Then he came to us. I don't want to steal Michael's thunder and recount what happened to him – but it's awesome, so I can't wait for him to tell it! Then Bret got to me :) I asked him very sheepishly if he'd sign my poster and he was more than happy to! I allowed him to use me as his table. He asked what my name was, so I told him, then spelled it. After I finished he kept naming random letters, “T...r...u...z...f?” and I said, “Yes, exactly like that”. So he wrote something then said, “Hmm” like he was figuring out what to say, so I offered, “maybe something heartfelt...but not weird” then felt like kicking myself when I heard him kind of nervously laugh. So he wrote away for a few minutes and then said, “There you go!” and then I asked if I could have a “photo” (because that's how he'd been saying it all night, even asking people after he signed stuff if they wanted a photo as well), and he said, “Photo op! Sure!” and Laura took this lovely picture :)
[image]

So Bret finishes up and goes back inside – then another 20-30 minutes and Jemaine comes out. Again, Laura, Tom, Michael and I hang back. The crowd REALLY thins once Jemaine starts getting through them. I took a small clip of video just because I wanted to remember what he sounded like just in talking to people (lame of me, I know). Jemaine is skinnier than I thought he'd be. I thought he'd be a bit larger - -shrug- no big deal or anything – just caught me off guard. I was a little gun shy after sounding so goofy after talking to Bret (re: “heartfelt but not weird”), so I had no idea what to say to Jemaine. My shyness just worsened...yuck. I REALLY wanted to compliment his shoes, but when I saw him and he finally got to me, my mind literally went blank. I asked him (again, VIRY sheepishly) to sign my poster, then offered my back if I needed it – he said he'd be fine. He even had his own sharpie). Then I asked if I could have a picture, he laughed a little (I assume at my shyness) and said, “Sure!” I think he either was touched by my painful shyness or he felt sorry for me, but either way he looked me straight in the eyes and said, “Would you like anything special?” and I looked down at my camera all embarrassed like, “Maybe a hug picture? If that's okay?” and he was like “Yeah okay!” So then he got in this weird...stance. Like he opened his arms way out and stuck his legs far apart. I had no idea how to hold onto that so I just put my arms around him. And where do our faces land but side by side. I felt his beard on my face – it was a little scruffily but oddly soft for a beard :hrm: Michael took this awesome photo of us, I think I'd like to get it blown up and framed:
[image]
And then Laura took this picture at the same time from a slightly different angle:
[image]

There was this girl who was like Jim from S2. Asking SO MANY questions. No doubt she'd had too much to drink. She just kept talking his ear off while he was trying to help people. Asking him what he took at college (to which he admitted he flunked out of theater/film college), asking him what literature/philosophy classes he'd taken (because his lyrics in HvR were so genius, she said...he said something about them just being from not being able to sleep at 4 am or something [image] ), and “Where did you learn to whisper like that to where you pronunciate so perfectly?” (I'm not even making this up). She also made some comment about how Jemaine was a genius just like John Lennon. She was...DRUNK [image]

When I got back to the hotel all I wanted to do was sleep – and since I had to be up at 7:00 am to be on the road by 7:30 (I had a bridal shower at noon to be at), and at this point it was going on 4 am, I went to sleep for a few hours. When I woke up, the first thing I thought of was, “It's over” and it felt like I had been shot through the heart. Such a horrible, horrible feeling. I am doing better now – but it'll probably happen again. I miss these guys. Before Jemaine left us to go back to the bus he said, “We'll be back...we'll be back” and I felt so much happiness when he said that. I sure hope so guys, I sure hope so [image]

yay kelly!! [image] im so happy for you [image]
jem and bret look divine in your pictures!
sheila
Way less focused than squirrels

by step0nmi » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:15 pm

KELLY [image] [image]

JEMAINE!!!!!! [image] [image] [image]
step0nmi

by shianne517 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:16 pm

Kelly, fantasic stuff! Is it weird that I read it backwards from the Jemaine area? :P
shianne517
Jem Ho

by tornadogirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Oh Lordy.....what a great night.

We got there at 10 o'clok and the traffic was Hell. We sat- unmoving- on Woodward for 10-15 minutes and decided to park somewhere other than the structure where people had only begun going to their cars.

So we got in, finally got to our seats- and I could NOT believe how close we were!!! The orchestra pit was raised only a bit and there were cushioned chairs laid out. We were on the far left and only about 15-20 feet from Jemaine.

There were sooooooooooo many people, we walked thru the metal detector, a guy looked in my purse for a nanosecond and that was it! So there was a dude in black who was stationed in the pit and he was really nice. I asked what the policy was for pics- I showed him my camera and how I had the flash and screen covered, and he said getting "some" pics was fine, but no recording and no going overboard. I was fine with that. I only saw 1 person around us get asked to put theirs away and they were filming.

Eugene Mirman was funny- loved the Delta Airlines bit! I forgot to get one of his postcards to send to Delta, darn it! They lost his luggage and jerked him around and he's having his revenge!

So they came out with the robot heads, shiny jackets and disco ball cod-pieces and did Too Many Dicks. It was awesome! Quite a bit of banter after that, they asked if all of Detroit was there in the theater....then they did Hurt Feelings and Bret messed up, causing Jemaine to start making up new parts about being humiliated in front of thousands after messing up a song...

They both were in good spirits, Jemaine especially seemed very happy and smiley throughout. They handled any heckling easily and with jokes, someone yelled out Australia and Jemaine said "Did someone just yell Australia???" Then they played a bit of Men at Works' Down Under. They explained to us about the underwear......and how Detroit gets the distinction of being the first city to throw them ladies undies. :)

Then came Carol Brown, which I was looking forward to singing with......and we were indeed instructed by Bret to sing the choir part. I don't know if it was because I was so close to the stage and speakers but it didn't seem like lots of people were singing. I wanted the crowd to be louder! Bret jumped down into the audience and held the mike out. No attack was made on his person.

Same with Sellotape.....I felt like not enough people were singing the "brown paper, white paper....." Maybe it was the seats? I had a makeshift earplug in my left ear because we had a speaker right next to us...and I mean right next to us on the edge of the stage. Sometimes I'd take it out and all was fine, then I'd put it back in.

Jenny was great, there were some added-in things that I hadn't heard before, which I can't remember right now....Stana was a riot and like everyone else who's seen it, I loved Jemaine's Molestey-hand-grabbing!

Of course on Sugalumps they both got up and strutted around the stage and then the both jumped down into the front row...Jemaine teasing some women- and a man- with his proffered sugalumps....oh, he also sat on the edge of the stage with his legs naughtily spread, teasing the ladies. Then he worked his way down. He pointed at me with his eyebrows raised, singing about how we're all checking out his trunks, rump and lumps and I nodded,
Then Bret come right down to us (he's back onstage) and bent way back, thrusting out towards us there on the left side. It was awesome. Too bad my close-up was ridiculously blurry! He did do the whole making it look as though a girl tried to get to his sugalumps and then calling for security!

Nigel had on the brown suit with powder-blue ruffled shirt, circa 1978. I must agree with everyone- his cello sounded divine. Jokes were made about how much we wanted Nigel- he got wonderful receptions- that we could say we'd gone home with the NZ SYmphony Orchestra and NIgel could say he went home with Detroit.

Here's a setlist...I'm sure I've forgotten something....

Too Many Dicks
Hurt Feelings
Carol Brown
Most Beautiful Girl in the Room
Stana
Rock the Part (short)
Jenny
Foux de Fa Fa (slow)
I'm Not Crying
Pencils in the Wind (Sellotape)
We're both in Love With a Sexy Lady
Sugalumps
*encore....which I had hoped for but was surprised they did because of the time*
Demon Woman
Bowie

Back later with pics and meet and greet!!
tornadogirl

by tornadogirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:25 pm

After the show we met up at the gate where the buses were, right behind the Fox. I swear- there were only 40-45 people, max! So I guess we waited 30-40 minutes maybe and Bret came out. No barriers, he had 1 security dude trailing him and we waited to be last. He was just lovely, very sweet, kind, and gracious. He signed my shirt....the DVD cover for Tom, the CD and a pic of our son! I brought it just to show the guys cuz Jake was wearing his hoody with the guys as Robots with "The Humans are Dead" on it. I told Bret how much jake loved them too and that he'd have come too, except he has Asperger's and the sound would have been waaay too much for him. So he signed the pic, drew some binary solo and a robot pic. How awesome was that?? I got a pic with Bret. He signed and posed for Kelly. The he went and got on his bus- he was soooo very tired. They were onstage until about 1:20 am. We waited...mmmmmm....20-30 minutes more and out came Jemaine!! *sigh* He's just so beautiful inside and out! (Yes, I'm a Jemainiac.) Again, we were last and that was fine. This one woman was like Jim, I swear! Question after question after question.....then she'd pull him into another picture!
So when I got him, he was just as nice and direct as everyone has said. When I handed him jake's pic and told him why he didn't come, he said "Oh, I know about that...I have someone....I know about that." Of course I didn't ask for him to elaborate but it was just so sweet of them both to make sure that his pic was specially signed by them both. Jake is going to LOVE it so much!! Then he signed my t-shirt, the CD and DVD for Tom, I got a hug-pic *swoon* and Tom got a big-ol-goofy-grin pic with him. He won't admit it, but I think he has a man-crush. Oh, and Jemaine signed Tom's TShirt, which has different guitars all over it.

Anyway, here are some pics:

[image]

[image]

Here comes Jemaine!
[image]

*sigh*
[image]

Signing jacob's pic:
[image]

Serendipity:
[image]

[image]

Jem and my hub, Tom:
[image]
Jemaine signed Tom's TShirt right next to a flying-V. :)

Poster and signed CD and DVD:
[image]

They are the sweetest most gracious and giving guys around. if you can see them- do it. You won't regret a second. :)
tornadogirl

Next

Return to 2009 North American Tour