Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

April 21 - Toronto, ON

2009 North American tour and all other 2009 gigs here.

by Amily » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:57 pm

dangerous person™ wrote:if you thought the shoes are hot...

[image]

check out the cute socks hes wearing with them.. I love this man!! [image]

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image]
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by dontlookback » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Amily wrote:

[image]

[image] How is he so adorable all the time? He just gets more adorable every show [image]
dontlookback
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by Amily » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:04 pm

dontlookback wrote:
Amily wrote:

[image] How is he so adorable all the time? He just gets more adorable every show [image]

Seriously, the cutest man on the planet. Seriously. [image] [image]
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by mistysquarepants » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Amily wrote:
dontlookback wrote:

Seriously, the cutest man on the planet. Seriously. [image] [image]

AGREED [image]
mistysquarepants
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by Venus » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:40 pm

zombie wrote:There wasn't really a great deal of heckling that I noticed. For the most part they couldn't make out what the people on the upper levels were even saying (Jemaine mentioned that we had CRAAAAZY accents). The biggest problem I noticed was an American girl in the front row. At one point they were saying how they had been in America for a month, so they were quite arrogant (which of course got a reaction from us) and the girl in front started yelling about being American, etc. They thought she said 'I'm American, ''uck you!' but that wasn't it.

Then she held her sign up, saying she loved them or whatever and Jemaine said something about there being 'a lot of emotions right now'. Eventually later on in the show he told her to 'Shut up, lady!' and everyone cheered. He then pointed out into the audience and said 'You were all thinking it!' Bret then put on his best audience member voice and goes 'She's ruining the concert for EVERYBODY!'

I was in the second row on the right side and there was a lady and I think her husband and a friend sitting in front of me, and she kept throwing things on the stage at them. Two toothbrushes during 'Business Time' (which Jemaine mentioned while singing was very distracting), a monkey during 'Think About It', jelly beans during 'Albi' (Bret got up and picked one up off of the ground, everyone sort of reacted and then he just cheekily popped it in his mouth/pretended to be poisoned), and finally during Bowie she tossed up an eye patch. Jemaine saw what it was instantly and said 'Well put it on, then.' When he didn't Jemaine told us all to 'turn around' so he could. He ended up waiting for the song to change to just before the 'Bowie to Bowie' part and slipped it on with his back turned and everyone loved it.

I don't really remember much heckling aside from that. There had been two 'That's what she said' yells, one during Eugene's set (which was amazing). Eugene sort of put it in its place. The second time was after Stana and they were saying about the song that it was a bit long, and the girl yelled out 'That's what she said!' and Jemaine turned towards a man who had been attempting to heckle earlier and said 'You see, sir, that's how its done!'

I vaguely remember them addressing the heckles and the lady in front of me going 'We're very polite over here!' and Jemaine saying, 'No, I don't think so.'

Nigel's 'prom drag' was just that he was wearing a brown suit and a blue frilly sort of... prom shirt. Jemaine was describing his outfit while they were bringing him on. Saying how that was the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra uniform, and luckily since he was the only one he didn't have to share it. He said how there used to be three of them: Nigel, a trumpet player and just a dude dancing in the corner. Jemaine made himself crack up at the dude in the corner bit.

I can't remember everything that they played. They opened with Too Many Dicks, then Hurt Feelings. I remember Jenny, Stana, We're Both In Love With a Sexy Lady/Sugalumps (Jemaine was accusing girls of trying to take photos of his sugalumps, Bret touched hands with the American girl but then jumped backwards away), I Told You I Was Frekkie, Bus Drivers Song (Jemaine and Nigel did some gorgeous harmonising on the chorus, I hope someone records this during the tour because its my favourite), Demon Woman and they played Foux Du Fafa (people were looking around, clearly impressed by their improvised French skills at the very beginning) and Bret made Jemaine crack up and have to stop singing with his lady voice during that one.

A few times they went quiet between the songs. Security was really strict about cameras and at one point one of the guards was in front row telling someone to put their camera down and Bret said 'Some shii is going down right now with security!' and Jemaine said 'Don't take their picture, or -' He pretended to break his own neck. 'They're very self conscious about the way they look!' The guard stopped and sort of walked away to the back of the venue, never to be seen by me again.

And that's about all that comes to mind right now. I don't think the hecklers were bothering them all that much, they were definitely handling it. Right off the bat Jemaine was saying not to bother, because they are 'professionals'.

Which reminds me. Bret was talking about how they were a real band, how they did real band things like had set lists. He then showed us his set list. And he said they did band things back stage. Jemaine said: 'like tuning up?' and Bret said 'getting blowjobs.' He then went on to say how he averaged about 37 blowjobs a day, and Jemaine was clearly amused.

There was one part where Jemaine said 'we'll do one more song!' and a second later the lady in front of me yelled for Albi, and he said okay. But in that small amount of time, the crowed was letting out a disappointed 'Awwwww' at the 'last song' bit, but Bret and Jemaine thought we were disappointed to hear Albi. They looked very confused for a few seconds until Bret caught on. A couple songs later Bret said 'We've got a couple more songs for you' and everyone cheered. And Jemaine said 'Two songs ago when I said it you were upset, now you're satisfied!?' He then tried to get Bret to test his theory that everyone liked him better by saying something and everyone sort of Wooo'd! at his 'Ummm... uhhh..' and then the American said they had greasy hair(??).

Some other heckles were... someone said New Zealander's were all unhygienic. Then the guy said something that Jemaine thought was 'Should I jump down there?' (From the balcony) and Jemaine said, 'Yes, sir. Just jump down .... come over here and wash us. All we need is a bar of soap and a good half hour.'

Another heckle from the top shelf was 'I'm going to bed' which Jemaine was amused by, saying it was 'the saddest heckle ever!' He milked it a little going, 'See you later, guys. I'm just gonna go home and go to bed..'

And I'm really stopping now! But it was a good show, they didn't mess up the songs at all (except Jemaine during Sexy Lady), sounded really tight.

I met Eugene and got him to sign one of the postcards he hands out (which we are all supposed to send to Delta Airlines) It's really funny and I'll scan it when I get home if anyone is interested. He waits around at the merch table after the show, and is a really nice man.

Ooh thanks so much for your account [image]

And Jemaine is looking gorgeous as always! [image]
#heart# Image #heart#
Venus
The day time of the night

by hellomyfriend » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:52 pm

[image]

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. [image] [image] [image]

[image] [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by Amily » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Onstage, a bit like a Flight simulator
From Thursday's Globe and Mail
April 22, 2009 at 2:53 PM EDT

[image]

The Flight of the Conchords

* At Massey Hall
* in Toronto on Tuesday

All international niceties were observed during this week's stopover by Flight of the Conchords. The New Zealand musical duo put some effort into creating a workable stage version of their popular HBO comedy series; the Toronto fan base were politely supportive and went away happy, though some nursed sore thumbs from trying to push an imaginary fast-forward button for 90 minutes.

Like the Super Bowl, or most things in life, Flight of the Conchords plays better on television.

The comic musical duo Flight of the Conchords (New Zealanders Bret Mackenzie and Jemaine Clement).
Enlarge Image

The droll music stylings of Bret Mackenzie (the bearded one) and Jemaine Clement (the Stephen King look-alike) bestowed cult hipness on the pair in their native country over a decade ago. Strong showings at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival and other events landed them a BBC radio show and, the one-in-a-million break, their own HBO TV series of the same name, in which they essentially play themselves, Bret and Jemaine, two nerdy New Zealanders in New York trying to break into the business.

Flight of the Conchords, the series, has run two 10-episode seasons, with each show working in clever music parodies that have gone on to attain near-viral video status.

Now certified thirtysomething TV icons, the Conchords bounded out in baggy, shiny silver shirts and TV-set box-heads to open with the techno-dance parody Too Many Dicks (on the Dance Floor), taken from the TV series. Shrieks of recognition began two notes in. Jemaine instantly endeared himself by claiming the song was inspired by a real-life experience that took place in a Vancouver disco.

Once the TV heads came off, the pair settled into a basic acoustic guitar set, with occasional accompaniment on cello and bongo from a bushy-haired chap named Nigel — "the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra."

The Conchords' musical niche seems to be folk affixed to funk, circa the mid-seventies. Both Conchords have mastered the Curtis Mayfield falsetto, deployed most effectively in I Told You I Was Freaky, a cheeky Prince parody. The song was note for note from the TV version, but less fun without music-video visuals.

Last year's winners of the Grammy for best comedy album, the duo wisely stuck mostly to the TV-show set list. The loudest reactions were for YouTube faves like the superficial-soul guy version of a love song, You're the Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room), the deadpan Inner City Pressure (" You pawned everything, everything you owned/ your toothbrush jar and a camera phone") and the thumping Black Eyed Peas send-up Sugalumps, which had Bret and Jemaine bumping and grinding at the edge of the stage.

In between songs, the Conchords took digs at the United States ("We've been in America for a month and we've become very arrogant") and charmed the locals. When the audience was brought in to assist on the chorus of one song, Jemaine purred, "You can tell we're in the land of Celine Dion."

The audience quieted down noticeably mid-set when the Conchords worked in a few songs apparently unfamiliar to the crowd. "Hmmm, not as enthusiastic as before," noted Jemaine. When unruly types began hooting out requests, he admonished the audience gently. "You've got a reputation for being polite, which is not really upholding."

The love affair resumed once Jemaine began growling the Barry White-influenced ballad Business Time, which caused several fans to toss toothbrushes onstage (brushing teeth is foreplay, according to the song's lyrics). On Albi the Racist Dragon, fans threw jellybeans (dragon's tears in the song) and Bret ate one.

And when the time came for the closer, it was of course their biggest hit, Bowie, the pair's spot-on mockery of a David Bowie song. Someone threw an eye patch, because Bowie once wore one, and Bret obligingly put it on.

The Bowie parody is remarkably like the real thing. Close your eyes, and you'd swear it was the Thin White Duke himself. As per the TV show, and the CD version, the pair drew the song to a literal fade-out (of the singers) finish, except this time Jemaine added a ramble about Neil Young wandering into the studio to record with the Conchords. Not in this lifetime, but the boyos can dream.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090422.wconchords0423/BNStory/Entertainment/columnists

NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by hellomyfriend » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:45 pm

[image]

Conchords in "Canadia"
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by gezyka » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:45 pm

[image] Flight Simulator? [image]

Yes, please. [image]
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by hellomyfriend » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:47 pm

gezyka wrote: [image] Flight Simulator? [image]

Yes, please. [image]

[image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by Amily » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:52 pm

Flight of the Conchords @ Massey Hall
April 22nd, 2009

[image]
Photo: Crystal Lim

Flight of the Conchords, New Zealand’s self-proclaimed fourth-most-popular-folk-comedy-duo, completely tore up the packed crowd at Massey Hall on Tuesday night. And then they played some songs.The band, made up of guitarist Jemaine Clement and “other-guitarist” Bret McKenzie, are in town promoting their music, and their HBO television show, aptly called Flight of the Conchords. The band brought along Nigel, purportedly “the only member of the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra”, to play additional instruments (ie: cello and bongo drums) on some of their songs, as well as Eugene Mirman, who plays Bret and Jemaine’s landlord on the show.

Mirman, who apparently also does stand-up comedy, was there to warm up the crowd. Turns out he’s actually pretty hilarious in his own right, and before the night was out many audience members were walking away with one of the “I Hate You” postcards he was giving out for them to sign and send to the airline company that lost his luggage.

After a very brief pause, the Conchords took the stage. The crowd burst into wild applause when the lights went up to reveal Bret and Jemaine were wearing silver robot suits and cardboard-box robot heads. But instead of launching into “Robots” instead performed an energetic version of “Too Many Dicks”, which they claimed had its origins in a Vancouver club.

[image]
Photo: Crystal Lim

Comedy was also provided by one audience member in particular, who I am dubbing “Toronto-Mel”. For those who don’t know, Mel, played by Kristen Schaal, is the Conchords #1 (and only) fan, and personal stalker. Anyway, Toronto-Mel had secured a seat in the front row, and kept throwing small items onto the stage when the band would play certain songs. Like toothbrushes during “Business Time”, and an eye-patch for Bret to wear when the band launched into “Bowie”. Needless to say, the band was a little put off by her attentions, and would stop playing when she threw something new onto the stage to examine it.

Pseudo-stalkers aside, the Conchords had a little too much fun with their audience… and the audience had too much fun with them. Jemaine responded to post-song heckles with dismissive hand gestures and “Nope. Not worth our time. Come on, try another one.” In retaliation, the band took a jab at the Canadian accent (”You want us to play what? Boo-si-nuss time?”), and when Bret asked the audience to help him sing the chorus for “Carol Brown”, ad-libbed “No wonder this is the country of Celine Dion”.

[image]
Jemaine handles heckles with ease. Photo: Crystal Lim.

Otherwise, the band played a 90-minute set with much the same quirky, bumbling charm they project on their show, at times a bit too convincingly. Or maybe they are just really good actors. Largely, they performed new material from the TV show’s second season, but they also brought out a few classic Conchords tunes, like “Jenny” and “Albi” (Toronto-Mel threw jellybeans onstage for that one).

The show’s four-song encore ended with a few more classic Conchords songs, “Foux du Fafa” and “Think about It”, where Bret and Jemaine had a chance to show off their hilarious improvisational skills. Somehow, this led to Jemaine singing “Aids Aids Aids” as the last song drew to a close with the audience almost rolling on the floor from laughing so hard. It was a unusual conclusion to an unusually ridiculous night.

The Conchords will be at Massey Hall again tonight. They then move on to do another 15 shows in the States throughout May, with one more Canadian stop in Vancouver on May 10th at the Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts.

http://blog.muchmusic.com/flight-of-the-conchords-massey-hall/

NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:55 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:
[image]

Conchords in "Canadia"

[image] [image] [image]
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by gezyka » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:55 pm

Amily wrote:
[image]
Jemaine handles heckles with ease. Photo: Crystal Lim.

[image] [image]
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by hellomyfriend » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 pm

Amily wrote:
... the band played a 90-minute set with much the same quirky, bumbling charm they project on their show, at times a bit too convincingly. ...

What does that mean? ???

Amily wrote:
... Somehow, this led to Jemaine singing “Aids Aids Aids” ...

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by onlyalways » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 am

hellomyfriend wrote:

Amily wrote:... Somehow, this led to Jemaine singing “Aids Aids Aids” ...

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

BWHAHAHA I WAS JUST ABOUT TO QUOTE THIS!

[image]

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 North American Tour