Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

May 22 - Santa Barbara, CA

2009 North American tour and all other 2009 gigs here.

by hellomyfriend » Tue May 26, 2009 9:52 am

Conchords take flight of fancy at sold-out S.B. Bowl show
By Marjorie Hernandez
Monday, May 25, 2009

In their hit HBO show, Flight of the Conchords band mates Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement refer to themselves as “formerly New Zealand's fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo a cappella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo.”

But at their sold-out show Friday night at the Santa Barbara Bowl, the Grammy Award-winning New Zealanders combined comedic, fantastical songs and hilarious on-stage banter to show why they probably are their country’s best export since the pop band OMC (you know — the band with the 1990s hit “How Bizarre”).

On the HBO show, Bret and Jemaine must navigate through the dog-eat-dog world of the music industry, while learning to adjust to their new life in a foreign country, via New York City. In reality, the Grammy-winning duo have sold out venues during their 2009 U.S. tour, which ends today (Memorial Day) with two shows at the Berkeley Community Theater.

They opened their Santa Barbara show dressed as robots, to the delight of fans of their HBO show, and sang “Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor.”

“We want people to think about that topic,” said McKenzie about the situation men face when there are too many men and not enough women at the club to dance with.

The duo launched into their array of genre-mixing songs like “Robots,” about the “distant future of the year 2000,” when humans have been obliterated by machines, to “Foux Du Fafa,” a smooth song with lyrics of randomly strung French phrases and words.

They paid homage to Peter, Paul and Mary’s folk song “Puff the Magic Dragon” with their own “Albi, the Racist Dragon” and battle rapped with “Hiphoppotamus vs. Rhymenoceros.” The Santa Barbara crowd also lit up with the group’s “Sugarlumps” and “Business Time.”

For nearly an hour and a half, McKenzie and Clement took audiences through the world of fantasy and harsh yet oftentimes comical reality. While the on-stage show mirrored much of what made their cable show a success, McKenzie and Clement’s comedic banter proved just as entertaining as their comical and bizarre songs.

In between songs, they also joked about their fantasy of a being a successful band on tour versus their reality.

The fantasy: female fans throw sexy lingerie on stage. Their reality: at Friday’s performance, female fans tossed a blanket and tea bags on stage (it was a bit cold at the outdoor Santa Barbara venue).

“Just for future reference … it’s panties, not blankets,” Clement said to the females in the crowd.

While audience members called out songs they wanted to hear, the duo jokingly said no because they already had a set play list.

To the fans’ delight, however, they ended their show with “Bowie,” a song that pays homage to the British icon, a song that was also on the HBO show.

After receiving three standing ovations and uproarious laughter form the crowd, the New Zealand duo showed it’s smart not to mess with a good thing.

source: http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2009/may/25/conchords-take-flight-fancy-sold-out-sb-bowl-show/
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by hellomyfriend » Wed May 27, 2009 10:25 am

Jeff Moehlis: The Kiwi Invasion
By Jeff Moehlis, Noozhawk Contributor
New Zealand's Flight of the Conchords fills the Santa Barbara Bowl with laughter

[image]

It’s admittedly hard to top the way the Flight of the Conchords describe themselves, namely as “formerly New Zealand’s fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo.” But we can add that Flight of the Conchords is also the name of an HBO series in which fictional versions of bandmates Jermaine Clement and Bret McKenzie struggle to make it in New York City. The series heavily features songs that spoof an assortment of genres both musically and lyrically. On Friday night, it was these brilliant songs and accompanying banter that entertained the crowd at the Santa Barbara Bowl.

But first, Arj Barker — an Indian-American stand-up comedian and Flight of the Conchords cast member “Dave,” who is the guy who denies living with his parents — warmed up the crowd with his observations about topics such as the recent problems with pirates ("my rule of thumb is, once something’s a ride at Disneyland, then I don’t expect it to be a threat in real life anymore"), global warming ("when I burn the toast, I don’t blame the bread"), and iPods ("I like to jog for three and a half weeks at a time, and I do not want to hear the same song twice").

Then the Flight of the Conchords came out dressed in low-tech cardboard robot costumes, singing and dancing to the infectious “Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor.” Afterward, they deadpanned that audience members are typically surprised when they take the boxes off and reveal that “it’s us.” This set the pattern for the show — accomplished songs with hilarious lyrics, bracketed by deadpan absurdity.

The Conchords’ songs drew mostly from Seasons 1 and 2 of their HBO show, although a few songs have not appeared on the show: the long cowboy yarn “Ballad of Stana,” in which the Satan-anagrammed bad-ass title character breaks laws of nature and physics before meeting his doppelganger Anats; “Hilarious Misunderstanding” in which a woman named Jenny slowly reveals to a man in the park their supposed history together; and the lament called “Bus Driver’s Song” from the duo’s rare 2002 Folk The World Tour live album.

In addition to “Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor,” highlights included the Serge Gainsbourg-esque “Foux du Fafa,” in which the singer finally has to admit he doesn’t speak French; “Robots” in which robots talk about taking over Earth and featuring a binary solo (0000001...); and the main set-closing “Sugalumps” in which Clement and McKenzie sexed-up the crowd, with McKenzie even jumping into the front section of the audience.

Also particularly fun were “Mutha’uckas,” a swearing-filled song made “clean” by silencing appropriate letters, and “Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros,” which features rap so hot that it was claimed to make the ladies in the first five rows pregnant — to quote Clement, “congratulations, bitches,” indeed.

Clement and McKenzie were joined onstage for many songs by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, which consisted only of Nigel on cello after budget cuts necessitated the dismissal of the trumpet player and “Bruce dancing.”

There were several notable funny interactions with the audience. Early in the set, they complained about the cool temperature by pointing out that “you’d think it’d be hot up here from the opening of the the soap opera” Santa Barbara. Shortly thereafter, an audience member threw a blanket onstage, which the cardigan-wearing Clement allowed McKenzie to wear. When, later, a flower was thrown onstage, they complained that “it’s supposed to be panties” that are hurled onstage. This degraded into a claim that they receive more “handicraft” for their performances than, well, think of a phrase for manual stimulation that starts out the same way.

Also, when an audience member asked, “Where’s Murray?" the band manager on the HBO series, they responded that sometimes audience members have trouble grasping that the TV show is fictional, before claiming that Murray was hanging out with Snoopy and Jabba the Hutt. When they were inundated with song requests, Clement deadpanned that “we’ve got a setlist, so we don’t really need you to call out songs.”

I didn’t yell it out, but I do have one request for their next visit — please play the super-brilliant “Ladies of the World.” Until then, keep kickin’ out the jams, mutha’uckas!

Setlist

Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor
Hurt Feelings
The Ballad of Stana
The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)
Robots
Hilarious Misunderstanding (Jenny)
I Told You I Was Freekie
Mutha’uckas
I’m Not Crying
Business Time
Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros
Foux du Fafa
Bus Driver’s Song
We’re Both In Love With a Sexy Lady
Sugalumps

Encore

Albi the Racist Dragon
Bowie

source: http://www.noozhawk.com/local_news/article/052409_jeff_moehlis_the_kiwi_invasion/

ADD:

[image]

[image]

[image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by drunkagain » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:43 pm

...Such was also the case last Friday when I met my favorite "folk parody band" members, Bret McKenzie & Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords and their friend Arj Barker (a.k.a. "Dave"). Also, I "met" Albi the Racist Dragon - and its creator. It was magical and the best start to what turned out to be a pretty glorious Memorial Day weekend. (Thanks Hudd and Amelia and for always having the hook-ups!) Now some pics!

Bret needs you to know that he's not cryin' rather there's an inflamation in his tear gland.

Meanwhile Jemaine recounts the story of Albi, the racist dragon, whose tears turned into jelly beans all the colors of the rainbow.
Somehow we got to withness an award ceremony after the show where the duo was given medals and this Puss in Boots cardboard cut out. They were touched.
Bret was surprisingly tall. And awesome. Hudd, Amelia, Kenny, and I were enjoying a very late dinner after this, and Bret walked in with some crew members. He saw us first and beelined straight to our table to chat and to eat Kenny's fries. I love him, I think.
Jemaine was sweet, too. Kinda shy, but nice.
Again...it was marvelous. And Bret, you may have just been being nice, but next time we go to New Zealand, we will totally take you up on your offer to stay with you. I'm not joking.
source: http://kenny-and-jill.blogspot.com/2009/05/first-things-first.html

The award ceremony/Puss in Boots photo - WTF?? and #rofl#
drunkagain
The day time of the night

by Katie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:47 pm

[image]

WHAT
Katie
Totally Fine

by dontlookback » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Katie wrote:
[image]

WHAT

Seriously,what the shi'.
It's like someone wanted to get the world record for the weirdest picture ever or something 0_o
dontlookback
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by hellomyfriend » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:11 pm

dontlookback wrote:
Katie wrote:
[image]

WHAT

Seriously,what the shi'.
It's like someone wanted to get the world record for the weirdest picture ever or something 0_o

Like everyone in the photo, he won.
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by sheila » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:39 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:
dontlookback wrote:
Seriously,what the shi'.

Like everyone in the photo, he won.

[image] [image] [image]

brets facial expression! [image]
jems sweater [image]
sheila
Way less focused than squirrels

by onlyalways » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:02 pm

Katie wrote:
[image]

WHAT

LMFAO.

I just noticed they are holding up the cardboard cut-out...

...What?!

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by chrissycubana » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:41 pm

Katie wrote:
[image]

WHAT

omg!

ditto re: jem's sweater!!!

it looks like they're ready to sit down and read the cat in the hat to a bunch of youngsters. LOL!!!!

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by Venus » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Katie wrote:
[image]

WHAT

[image] How random! [image]
#heart# Image #heart#
Venus
The day time of the night

by mistysquarepants » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:15 am

Venus wrote:
Katie wrote:
[image]

WHAT

My son just screamed conchords and puss in boots!! Logan approves of this picture.. however, Im still confused lol
mistysquarepants

by hellomyfriend » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:16 am

dangerous person™ wrote:
Venus wrote:

My son just screamed conchords and puss in boots!! Logan approves of this picture.. however, Im still confused lol

The photo is a code that only he understands.
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by dontlookback » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:25 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:
dangerous person™ wrote:

The photo is a code that only he understands.

[image] Clearly.
dontlookback

by codemonkey » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Not only is it totally random but the two of them look thrilled [image]

Wow are they good sports [image]
codemonkey
I'm making a lasagne... for one

by ohjeez » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:40 am

i don't understand the photo but i still love it.

and who are these people that bret offered a place to stay in new zealand? i too would like to stay at bret's place!
ohjeez

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 North American Tour