Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

May 22 - Santa Barbara, CA

2009 North American tour and all other 2009 gigs here.

by Venus » Sat May 23, 2009 7:50 am

tanfastic wrote:[image]

OK, this is totally lame, but Pierce Bronson and family (wife and I think 2 boys) was 7 seats away from me in Santa Brahbrah. Pierce is the middle head of the above 3 (2 sons on either side). The red fabric is his wife's jacket, you can't see her head. Again, sorry it's so lame, but he was stunning. (I know it looks like it could be any schmuck but maybe someone can back me up.) I just held my cell in my hand and turned it in his direction and hoped for the best. We were in the 8th row. Guess he was right there doing the fan presale with me! NOT.

First let me apologize, I am dead tired and a mass of misinformation when I'm totally awake, so I will screw this up royally. Plus my cell only took daytime photos (was dark when the guys came on) and my friend's camera photos (the two she sent me so far) suck.

Jem did Arj's intro (Jem was brill), said it was being filmed for an Arj special, "The Exactly One Hour Long Arj Barker Special" or something like that. I can't even remember who it was for, HBO?? Arj did a pretty long set, went over well. Loved him.

The guys came out, Jem in red plaid shirt (the kind of plaid that looks like it's having an acid trip, y'know that kind?) and a cream v-neck cardigan. Bret wore the dark shirt w/red embroidery (glows in the dark under the blue lights). Bret said someting to the effect of Hello Santa Brah Brah. Early on it became frickin freezing there and Bret kept rubbing his hands together. They said they had no idea it would be so cold there, thought it would be warm like in the soap Santa Barbara, plus there would be lots of affairs. A gal walked up with a blanket for Bret (as per post above) and he put it around his shoulders. Jem said Bret was more cold than he cause Jem had a sweater. They held on to tea cups (rather coffee mugs w/tea) to heat up their hands. Probably helped their vocal chords too, that dang moist ocean air.

I saw them last year LA/Orpheum and they sure have evolved. They have changed the song arrangements, plus brought in of course the NZ orchestra (haha, hilarious), added some new funny lyrics here and there, plus new banter , and of course the season 2 songs -- ALL FRIGGIN BRILLIANT. So happy to not have the exact same show. Of course I can't remember a dang example of how they've changed em up, but these shows have been written about ad nauseum anyhow.

The crowd was enthusiastic but polite. Sadly, I think it was Jem who pointed out there were kids in the audience, so they toned down the rap about being in a band and getting blow jobs. But they still didn't totally clean up the act thank God! Pierce baby, what were ya thinking, bringin' them youngins!! (Not the only one who did). Someone threw a tea bag on stage towards Bret -- !! -- he said that was actually very nice, but it is customary for them to get panties thrown on the stage. He did get hot water for the tea and said we'd have to wait 3-4 minutes for it to be ready so let's do a song. Later Jem did say something about Santa Brahbrah too. For you Bretrosexuals, fyi, Bret was, very handsome with his wild curly shiney hair, and his face was filled out nicely (last year he gotta a bit skinny on tour). They were both so clever and the music was spot on. Wish I had more details but scuse me while I [image]

Wow that's so cool that you were so close to Pierce Brosnan and his family. Thanks for the recap!

Can't wait to hear more about this show :)
#heart# Image #heart#
Venus
The day time of the night

by tanfastic » Sat May 23, 2009 9:10 am

At one point, Jem was talking about how cold it was, and how the audience must be cold. He pointed to a guy in a t shirt and said "HE must be really cold." Then he took Bret's blankie (which had fallen off Bret's shoulders by then) and gave it to the guy in the audience.

One of the new funny lines they added was in Im Not Crying. Jem says the "Im not crying -- please dont tell my mates " and added "they'll think I'm gay."

Stana really was sumpin, love their cowboy delivery (you know they have a blast just working the cowboy bit, gettin to be tuff guys). The sex part at the end was hilarious. Pretty much every time they bring up sex it's a hoot, ya know?
tanfastic
Let's boom the boom

by tanfastic » Sat May 23, 2009 9:33 am

Bret had a little plastic rhinoceros stuck on his guitar. ;D

They were using "JUMBOTRON" (in their case maybe mediumtron) screens. Didin't have that last year, loved it. Really nice camera work, and the mixer (or whatever ya call him/her) did some cool shots, superimposing them both on the screen(s) together, switching at the right moment to the right guy in relation to the song (pretty much spot on anyway). It was well done.

Somebody needs to post Arj's twitter picture from backstage dressing rooms, "Star # 3". Hilarious. (It would take me a few hours to do that)
tanfastic
Let's boom the boom

by tanfastic » Sat May 23, 2009 10:12 am

Good grief, sorry for my postathon, somebody stop me. When the Hiphopopotamus said he made all of the ladies in the first five rows pregnant, he added in his sheepish apologetic Jem voice something like "but I will return to make child support payments."

When some artists change up their songs live, cause they're so sick of playing the same thing over n over, you don't always like the new version. W/FOTC their new changes are so well done ya never complain. I had to hang my head in shame a few times when they were starting to play some classics and I couldn't tell what song it was gonna be.

tanfastic
Let's boom the boom

by hellomyfriend » Sat May 23, 2009 12:16 pm

tanfastic wrote:... When the Hiphopopotamus said he made all of the ladies in the first five rows pregnant, he added in his sheepish apologetic Jem voice something like "but I will return to make child support payments." ...

[image]

[image] [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by dontlookback » Sat May 23, 2009 12:18 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:
tanfastic wrote:... When the Hiphopopotamus said he made all of the ladies in the first five rows pregnant, he added in his sheepish apologetic Jem voice something like "but I will return to make child support payments." ...

[image]

[image] [image]

[image] Can he get any more adorable? Seriously? His amount of adorable-ness is off every chart ever made. [image]
dontlookback
My shadow played a bass clarinet

by sheila » Sat May 23, 2009 12:25 pm

dontlookback wrote:
hellomyfriend wrote:

[image]

[image] [image]

[image] Can he get any more adorable? Seriously? His amount of adorable-ness is off every chart ever made. [image]

[image] he drives my crazy with his cuteness!! [image]
sheila
Way less focused than squirrels

by Venus » Sat May 23, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks for sharing all the info tanfantastic :)

tanfastic wrote:Somebody needs to post Arj's twitter picture from backstage dressing rooms, "Star # 3". Hilarious. (It would take me a few hours to do that)

Haha love that pic:
Arj's tweet:

Wow that was pretty sweet! Killer crowd at the SB bowl :)) but just in case I get cocky and forget my place

Source
[image]
[image] [image]
#heart# Image #heart#
Venus

by hellomyfriend » Sat May 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Venus wrote:Thanks for sharing all the info tanfantastic :)

tanfastic wrote:Somebody needs to post Arj's twitter picture from backstage dressing rooms, "Star # 3". Hilarious. (It would take me a few hours to do that)

Haha love that pic:
Arj's tweet:

Wow that was pretty sweet! Killer crowd at the SB bowl :)) but just in case I get cocky and forget my place

Source
[image]
[image] [image]

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Poor behbeh.

[image] [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by Amily » Sat May 23, 2009 7:32 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:

[image]

[image] [image]

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

He's so sweet I can't take it! [image]
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by luckym » Sat May 23, 2009 7:46 pm

I got to the venue early and had to wait in line in a tiny parking lot. While we were waiting there a car drove right by us (really slowly) and Bret was in the passenger's seat! He was watching the people in line/putting on his seat belt. I don't think anyone else was paying attention, but I was just like [image] . I didn't think watching someone put on their seat belt could be so entertaining.

When we went and found our seats (around 50th row [image] ) we saw Nigel running around in the section in front of ours. I'm totally kicking myself now for not asking him to sign my poster. (Especially because it has the "I [image] Nigel" sticker on it. It would have been perfect!) But at the time I felt like I shouldn't bother him.

Anyway, the show started about 45 minutes late. Arj was awesome, of course! ;D

By the time the guys came out it was pretty cold. Jemaine seemed fine (he was wearing his lovely sweater [image] ) but Bret looked really cold. He kept rubbing his hands together to warm himself up. Someone threw a blanket onto the stage, which he used during Stana. Later in the show Jemaine gave it away to a guy in the front row who he thought looked cold.

The rest of the show is kind of all blurred together for me. I didn't think it would be so hard to remember the details!

These are the songs they played (although I probably got the order wrong):

Too Many Dicks
Hurt Feelings
Stana
Robots
Most Beautiful Girl
Mutha'uckas
Jenny
Business Time
Freaky
I'm Not Crying
Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenocerous
Bus Driver's Song
Foux Du Fafa
Epileptic Dogs
Same Girl
Sugalumps
Albi
Bowie

They also played a bit of "How Bizarre". They said it's New Zealand's national anthem and that it makes athletes not want to try very hard. [image]

At one point someone threw a tea bag onto the stage and Bret thought it was a condom at first. Jemaine said he thought a tea bag was just as good.

Bret needed stop to have a little tea between songs and I guess someone near the front shouted "suck it up." So of course they both made fun of the guy for a while. When they were done Bret just glared and said "Yeah, 'uck you." [image] [image]

Tanfastic is right, there was a part where they seemed to be toning things down because they knew there were kids in the audience. But then later in the show Jemaine did the "we get more crafts than hand jobs" joke and he kind of blushed and said "sorry, sensitive audience." [image] [image]

Sugalumps was interesting because when they got up to start dancing their microphone cords got all tangled. Jemaine was able to untangle his within a couple seconds, but Bret was caught up for quite a while. A guy even had to run onstage and help him get his cord free so he could go dance with Jemaine. When he was finally free he jumped off the stage and a TON of girls ran out of their seats to crowd around him. He jumped back onto the stage almost right away, but they all just sort of stayed standing there in front of the stage for the rest of the show.

There was no meet and greet. :'( Security was making people leave really quickly after the show. But I got to meet Arj! He signed my poster and I got a picture with him! :D

ADD: They called it Santa Brahbrah! I was so hoping they would! It was adorable! [image]
luckym
I'll nibble chips off your hips

by gezyka » Sat May 23, 2009 9:02 pm

luckym wrote:When we went and found our seats (around 50th row [image] ) we saw Nigel running around in the section in front of ours.

[image] [image]

But then later in the show Jemaine did the "we get more crafts than hand jobs" joke and he kind of blushed and said "sorry, sensitive audience." [image] [image]

Then consider the quilts group hand jobs! [image]

It's too bad they didn't bring them out to stay warm. [image]

Glad you had a great time, Sara! [image]
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by tanfastic » Sat May 23, 2009 9:11 pm

While we were waiting there a car drove right by us (really slowly) and Bret was in the passenger's seat!

This plus Nigel n Arj, you had some good Conchord Karma luckym!

During Sugalumps, I didn't even see their cords getting tangled, maybe cause people were standing in front of me, or I was just in a Sugalump coma. Oh yeah, my friend went up to take pix at the begining of Sugalumps and Jem sang (to her and others) "I see you taking pictures of my sugalumps"

Songs we didn't get; Carol Brown, Rock the Party (do they ever play it live? Guess it's too lame (in a good way), Pencils, Petrov, Inner City, Kiss is not, Bret Goin' On, If yer Into It, plus more new season ones. They have a ton of songs. It was so friggin fun, I am also going to the Greek with my dubious seats. Was trying to sell em, glad they were so bad no one wanted em. Maybe have time then to check out all the merch, which was way crowded in SB.
tanfastic
Let's boom the boom

by Venus » Sun May 24, 2009 7:05 am

Thanks for the recap Sara [image]
#heart# Image #heart#
Venus

by tanfastic » Sun May 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Belated Brahbrah comments -- directed towards the three of us that went (!) -- how touching was Bus Driver? I was thrilled they played it, same for Jenny. The masses "got" Jenny, but I wasn't sure if they really understood Bus Driver.
tanfastic
Let's boom the boom

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 North American Tour