Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

18 May - London, UK

2010 European tour and all other 2010 gigs here.

by gezyka » Tue May 18, 2010 6:06 pm

tollerton: Video edit of Flight of the Conchords filmed earlier tonight at Wembley in London: http://twitvid.com/9I9UY #fotc

and for anyone curious, he "used an iPhone 3GS with the UStream Live Broadcaster app." :)

gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by Amily » Tue May 18, 2010 7:27 pm

gazzils: Flight of the Conchords gig was great. Wembley was completely sold out http://yfrog.com/2smw6qj The boys done good!

[image]

:o :o :o :o :o
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by chrissycubana » Tue May 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Amily wrote:
gazzils: Flight of the Conchords gig was great. Wembley was completely sold out http://yfrog.com/2smw6qj The boys done good!

[image]

:o :o :o :o :o

oh my word... that place is HUGE!!!!!

what must playing to such a ginormous crowd have felt like, i wonder?!?!?!

wow.

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by chrissycubana » Tue May 18, 2010 10:00 pm

gezyka wrote:Ok...this is for real this time. WATCH live right now!

tollerton: Flight of the Conchords live right now! http://j.mp/tollerton_live (while my battery lasts!) #fotc

i just had to post this in here after listening in for a bit to this stream earlier today:

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by gezyka » Tue May 18, 2010 10:02 pm

chrissycubana wrote:
gezyka wrote:Ok...this is for real this time. WATCH live right now!

i just had to post this in here after listening in for a bit to this stream earlier today:

YES!!!!! I totally recognized that, but couldn't remember what it was called!

[image] [image]
gezyka

by cheapzoo » Wed May 19, 2010 12:28 am

Anna Scatty Brain recaps another show:

[image] [image] Last night was incredible!
I need to confess something before I start.
I was really unsure about how this was going to go down. When Wembley was announced I was seriously thinking it would just be odd. A lot of their humour is charming on such a subtle level, I just couldn't see it working as well in such a massive concrete monster of a venue like Wembley. Yeah, so I'm a total numpty, eh?
::) Last night was amazing, There was a great vibe in that huuuge place all night, and from the moment they opened their mouths Bret and Jemaine had all 12500 of us hanging on their every word... and on their silent pauses and their odd facial expressions and and and.... *sigh* It was a total delight to be part of it.

Lawrence Arabia---- totally wonderful. I think I was actually more excited to see them last night than either fotc or Arj. xD. I think the arena was only about half full while they were playing and there weren't too many people around me so it felt weirdly intimate and chilled out. I guess a lot of the people there wouldn't have known them (or maybe even expected them to be there). I was having a little dance in my seat. :D

After they'd packed up, Matt and what seemed like every single Wembley employee were on stage and wheeling out the fotc gear. I had a clear view down the right side of the stage and Arj managed to sneak into position without me noticing (clever chap!). He was great last night. I think he was on a little longer than at the Apollo and the crowd really liked him.
Fotc have to share my slightly fangirl-esque whimsies with him now. Seriously, I started to go a little bit daft when he walked to my side of the stage. Sillysillysilly. [image]
He didn't trip on anything this evening either. [image]

Anyway, for some reason I was quite delighted to see Jemaine in his grey cardigan. No idea why. Possibly because it wasn't the checked shirt he's been wearing all tour. ;) I was sitting in front of the giant screen on the left so most of the time I had a 30ft Jemaine in front of me. Woawzers. I had to keep reminding myself that the real deal was right there on stage, it was a little difficult to tear my gaze away. He plays with his eyes closed a lot, eh? [image]

Bret: "Can we get some lights up in here?" *pause* (no lights) "Oh they don't want to scare us. They think we'll get scared if we can see all of you."
Jemaine: "It looks like there's only 20 people here".
I had a look behind a few times and it was terrifying. Wembley packed out is a scary place (from a none-performer perspective at least :D ).

With all the 'distant future' talk at the start of Robots, they were improvising and Bret said something about thinking back to a specific thing in the past and remembering it (?? I wish I could think back, my memory sucks this morning) and Jemaine asked "How can they if that's in the future?". Bret: "I... I... I... have no answer to that." They both kind of laughed about it before they went into the rest of the song.

They were mentioning other artists songs at one point (Bret: "We're just making our own requests now") and the crowd started requesting stuff, to which Bret replied either "Shut up" or "Stop it". [image] I didn't hear but I guess someone asked for Guns N' Roses (Jemaine: "I've got G NR for you, Go n Run....... no, don't actually run.") It lead to Jemaine starting Sweet Child o' Mine but only getting a line in before he got the lyric wrong. It seemed to amuse Bret a bit ("What was that you were playing??")

I realised I am a total fangirl at the end of Woo A Lady just before the lights went down and Jemaine kind of brushed his nose with his hand. The first thing I thought was "You did it just like that in Eagle vs Shark." Which Flighty needs to turn the DVD player off and get out a little more??? ::) *raises hand*

I liked Jemaine's line after Bret's 'make love to me!' part in Mermaids. "Make love to Bret!" He was rather demanding about it. ;)

At one point Jemaine said his monitor was playing up and asked Matt to sort it because he needed more Bret. While he was kind of introducing everyone to who Matt is, another guy came our to fix it. "That's not Matt. That's not him, that's Ben." Ben then looked at the back of the monitor, pulled at some cables and left the stage again. "Checking it's plugged in, good idea. As you can see we're working with the best."

At the end of Demon Woman both threw their picks into the crowd and when they came back for the encore (Jemaine: 'Why are you clapping? You knew we'd be back 'cause he (Matt) was fixing stuff... ), Jemaine mentioned that he had spat his into the crowd, "It didn't actually go that far though... " Someone shouted for Mermaids (whoever you are, I LOVE YOU), Bret replied "F*ck how does that go again... " and they both eventually got into it, Bret asked everyone to sing along. After a little bit, clearly Bret thought they weren't going to do the whole thing, stopped and said "OK, we'll play another song" but Jemaine was obviously enjoying it and just played until Bret joined in again. As if hearing that live wasn't wonderful enough, there was a lovely moment at the end when they both looked at each other and laughed at the same time, at which point I just melted into a puddle of swoon. [image]

They both seemed to sooooo enjoy themselves last night, which made the whole experience even better. I sometimes find Jemaine harder to read but Bret was giving away emotion like carbon dioxide by the end of the night and you could tell he was having a great time. Especially while he was running around the crowd during Sugarlumps. He had the biggest grin on his face. (Swoon puddle again!). He asked a girl to come forward and then demanded that security take charge and stop her because she was storming the stage. After that he called one of the security guys out for checking out his sugarlumps like all the ladies were ("Ok, he's not actually looking at them but he's really close to them.")

Just before they went off stage a very very smiley Bret was taking a photo of the audience. ;D

As unordered as the last one:
Too Many Dicks, Most Beautiful, Bus Driver Song, Hiphop vs Rhyme (I'll learn to spell those soon [image] ), Think About It, Bowie, On The Road (Is that right? I can't remember what they're calling it), Inner City Pressure, Woo A Lady, Hurt Feelings, Demon Woman, Jenny, Epileptic Dogs, I'm Not Crying, Business Time, Mutha 'Uckas.
Mermaids, We're Both In Love, Sugarlumps,
I'm pretty sure that's right, I worry that my head is now mixing up last night with Hammersmith though. ::)

Biiig lyrics spoiler:
[spoiler]There's a line in Woo A Lady about how the woman Jemaine is trying to woo is to be married to the king and "you'll have to challenge him if you want my hand" (or similar). Jemaine nearly sang "You'll have to marry him". He got half way through 'marry' and quickly altered it. :D[/spoiler]

This may not be an actual spoiler :/ but it could be for anyone going next week I guess:
[spoiler]Arena style Epileptic Dogs was great fun! I can't remember what the other sections were singing but it was something like: Bret's side were doing 'Think about the epileptic dogs', Jemaines middle section (that's his stomach isn't it?)... 'blah, I totally can't remember this, sorry' and Nigels side (where I was) did............ dog howls. ;D I don't know how to spell a dog howl. Like 'woooaaaaah wooooooaaaah' but... more canine. It sounded good but it seemed to take flippin' ages to set up. xD[/spoiler]

All in all, I'm now wondering how any other men have ever been able to procreate when these two charmers are walking this Earth. Flippin' miracle.

That's it. I'm totally Conchorded out for the year. I can't survive any more spandex. I just can't. [image]

Eeee, I wrote a lot. I'm not sure I actually said much though.... *shrugs and skips away*

Edit: Aw man, seriously, it's so long, sorry! :-[ *hides*
cheapzoo
Beneath a willow tree

by hellomyfriend » Wed May 19, 2010 12:39 am

cheapzoo wrote:I liked Jemaine's line after Bret's 'make love to me!' part in Mermaids. "Make love to Bret!" He was rather demanding about it. ;)

[image]

cheapzoo wrote:I sometimes find Jemaine harder to read but Bret was giving away emotion like carbon dioxide by the end of the night and you could tell he was having a great time. Especially while he was running around the crowd during Sugarlumps. He had the biggest grin on his face. (Swoon puddle again!). He asked a girl to come forward and then demanded that security take charge and stop her because she was storming the stage. After that he called one of the security guys out for checking out his sugarlumps like all the ladies were ("Ok, he's not actually looking at them but he's really close to them.")

Just before they went off stage a very very smiley Bret was taking a photo of the audience. ;D

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

[image] [image] [image] [image]

cheapzoo wrote:Eeee, I wrote a lot. I'm not sure I actually said much though.... *shrugs and skips away*

You could have written even more. I loved every word. [image]

I'm so happy you had such a wonderful time, Anna. [image]

hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by Amily » Wed May 19, 2010 12:52 am

cheapzoo wrote:Bret: "Can we get some lights up in here?" *pause* (no lights) "Oh they don't want to scare us. They think we'll get scared if we can see all of you."
Jemaine: "It looks like there's only 20 people here".
I had a look behind a few times and it was terrifying. Wembley packed out is a scary place (from a none-performer perspective at least :D ).

THEY'RE TOO CUTE!

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

They were mentioning other artists songs at one point (Bret: "We're just making our own requests now") and the crowd started requesting stuff, to which Bret replied either "Shut up" or "Stop it". [image] I didn't hear but I guess someone asked for Guns N' Roses (Jemaine: "I've got G NR for you, Go n Run....... no, don't actually run.") It lead to Jemaine starting Sweet Child o' Mine but only getting a line in before he got the lyric wrong. It seemed to amuse Bret a bit ("What was that you were playing??")

Sounds amazing. [image]

I realised I am a total fangirl at the end of Woo A Lady just before the lights went down and Jemaine kind of brushed his nose with his hand. The first thing I thought was "You did it just like that in Eagle vs Shark." Which Flighty needs to turn the DVD player off and get out a little more??? ::) *raises hand*

[image] [image]

At the end of Demon Woman both threw their picks into the crowd and when they came back for the encore (Jemaine: 'Why are you clapping? You knew we'd be back 'cause he (Matt) was fixing stuff... ), Jemaine mentioned that he had spat his into the crowd, "It didn't actually go that far though... " Someone shouted for Mermaids (whoever you are, I LOVE YOU), Bret replied "F*ck how does that go again... " and they both eventually got into it, Bret asked everyone to sing along. After a little bit, clearly Bret thought they weren't going to do the whole thing, stopped and said "OK, we'll play another song" but Jemaine was obviously enjoying it and just played until Bret joined in again. As if hearing that live wasn't wonderful enough, there was a lovely moment at the end when they both looked at each other and laughed at the same time, at which point I just melted into a puddle of swoon. [image]

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

All in all, I'm now wondering how any other men have ever been able to procreate when these two charmers are walking this Earth. Flippin' miracle.

The numbers have got to be plummeting. SRSLY.

That's it. I'm totally Conchorded out for the year. I can't survive any more spandex. I just can't. [image]

Eeee, I wrote a lot. I'm not sure I actually said much though.... *shrugs and skips away*

Oh, Anna I LOVE your recaps so much. [image] [image] [image] I actually caught myself LOLing a few times. [image] So happy you had such a great time and the gig was amazing. [image]

You know we're always hungry for more. [image]

NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by gezyka » Wed May 19, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks for another great recap, Anna! [image]

cheapzoo wrote:I liked Jemaine's line after Bret's 'make love to me!' part in Mermaids. "Make love to Bret!" He was rather demanding about it. ;)

At one point Jemaine said his monitor was playing up and asked Matt to sort it because he needed more Bret.

[image]

Someone shouted for Mermaids (whoever you are, I LOVE YOU), Bret replied "F*ck how does that go again... " and they both eventually got into it, Bret asked everyone to sing along. After a little bit, clearly Bret thought they weren't going to do the whole thing, stopped and said "OK, we'll play another song" but Jemaine was obviously enjoying it and just played until Bret joined in again. As if hearing that live wasn't wonderful enough, there was a lovely moment at the end when they both looked at each other and laughed at the same time, at which point I just melted into a puddle of swoon. [image]

[image] seriously though, I would have melted too! [image] And I love that they played Mermaids! [image]

They both seemed to sooooo enjoy themselves last night, which made the whole experience even better. I sometimes find Jemaine harder to read but Bret was giving away emotion like carbon dioxide by the end of the night and you could tell he was having a great time. Especially while he was running around the crowd during Sugarlumps. He had the biggest grin on his face. (Swoon puddle again!).

[image]

It's perfect! [image] [image] [image] [image]

I was really curious about this gig, being the first huge one and with Lawrence Arabia. I'm glad it sounds like the size of the venue just really doesn't matter when it comes to the Conchords...they seem to be perfect anywhere. [image] It sounds like they just keep getting better and better with each show. Anyway, so glad you had another great night! :D
gezyka

by accordions » Wed May 19, 2010 2:21 am

Thank you so much for that, Anna! It sounded like an aaamazing show! [image]

cheapzoo wrote:

[image]
accordions
Bowie's in space

by sargifster » Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 am

cheapzoo wrote:
This may not be an actual spoiler :/ but it could be for anyone going next week I guess:
[spoiler]Arena style Epileptic Dogs was great fun! I can't remember what the other sections were singing but it was something like: Bret's side were doing 'Think about the epileptic dogs', Jemaines middle section (that's his stomach isn't it?)... 'blah, I totally can't remember this, sorry' and Nigels side (where I was) did............ dog howls. ;D I don't know how to spell a dog howl. Like 'woooaaaaah wooooooaaaah' but... more canine. It sounded good but it seemed to take flippin' ages to set up. xD[/spoiler]

They started trying that out in Glasgow. It sounds great, eh? I can only imagine what it sounded like with the crowd at Wembley.

Thanks for your great recap. I loved reading it. [image]

sargifster
Administrator

by Amily » Wed May 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Flight of the Conchords charm Wembley
posted 19.05.2010

By Laura Davies

www.twitter.com/lauradavies

My jaw still hurts. I laughed so hard last night tears were streaming down my creased face. It was Flight of the
Conchords’ fault.

Performing live at Wembley Arena, ‘New Zealand’s fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo,’ caused the jaw ache with their hilarious show. Awkward chats in between songs such as The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room) and Pet Shop Boys satire Inner City Pressure, taken from their hit TV show and 2008 record, confirmed their cult status.

In the TV series (airing last year on BBC4) the duo – Jermaine Clement and Bret McKenzie (playing fictionalised versions of themselves) – move to New York to try their luck at being rock stars. They aren’t successful. But find themselves in impossible situations along the way, such as playing gigs in lifts and aquariums to their only fan (and stalker), Mel.

There were no shortage of fans here though, it was a sell-out, with innocent-looking Bret, with his wild hair and even wilder beard, charming the audience with his performances of Busdriver Song, Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor and Robots (’The humans are dead, we used poisonous gases, and we poisoned their asses’).

While dry, self-depricating, 1970s throwback Jermaine was on equally top form, seducing us with Business Time, crooning,
‘In the bathroom brushing our teeth, that’s all part of the foreplay, I love foreplay, then you go sort out the recycling, that isn’t part of the foreplay… but it’s still very important.’

Highlights of the evening were the rap rip-off Hiphopopotamus vs Rhymenocerous, I’m not Crying (’It’s just been raining on my face’) and Same Girl - which had the ecstatic crowd singing ‘epileptic dogs’ in a mass sing off. I bet that’s the first time that’s ever been sung at Wembley.

Just when I didn’t think I could laugh anymore, the Conchords played their homage to Ziggy Stardust, Bowie in Space. Stepping up from their stools, where they had been perched for most of the two-hour set, the pair ripped off their clothes to reveal silver catsuits, chanting ‘Receiving transmission from David Bowie’s nipple antennae.’ The Thin White Duke would
be proud.

Hyperactive friend Arj Baker, who plays Dave in the series, made a welcomed appearance (and supported the duo) but unfortunately there was no cameo from band manager Murray (comedian Rhys Darby) or superfan Mel (Kristen Schaal).

Not to worry, though… I was sitting next to a real-life Mel, who’d obviously dragged her very own Doug (Mel’s patient husband in the series) to Wembley to watch her drool over Jermaine and Bret. I can’t blame her. What is it with funny men in retro shirts?!

Source
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Wed May 19, 2010 9:05 pm

[image]

[image]

[image]
Source

How he's doing up his pants and the look on his face! [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Wed May 19, 2010 9:12 pm

[image]

[image]

[image]

[url=http://Source
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Wed May 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Caption above most of these photos.

Front row with The Conchords . . . and a shiity iPhone camera

[image] Yeah, not the greatest but still worth posting I think. ;)

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Source

NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 Mostly European Tour