Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

06 May - Dublin, IE

2010 European tour and all other 2010 gigs here.

by Amily » Sun May 09, 2010 10:44 am

Flight of the Conchords @ The Olympia May 6
Submitted by admin on Sunday, 9 May 2010

Opening act David O’Doherty has picked up his game since the last time I saw him play at the Comedy Festival in Iveagh Gardens last year. Thankfully. Comfortably lounging on the stage floor, reading little “facts” from his latest book 100 Facts About Pandas, the DOD was back on form.

Flight of the Conchords opened the show in their upgraded robot helmets, complete with lights, playing their synth pop song “Too Many Dicks on The Dance Floor” followed immediately by “The Most beautiful Girl in the Room”. It was hard to wipe the smile off your face just from looking at them. Jemaine gave a crowd pleasing version of one of their older songs “Albi The Racist Dragon” which is even more enjoyable when accompanied with his comedic, expressive nods. Bret played along on the mini red piano (Fan fact: The same piano they used to play “If You’re Into It” to Bret’s girlfriend Coco in their HBO series). About half an hour into the show the lights were dimmed, followed by a lot of commotion and messing on stage as the Conchords ripped off their velcro jeans and t-shirts to reveal sequined, spandex jump suits. They then told the time tripping story of how they ended up at David Bowie’s birthday party in the 1970s and then launched into a rockin performance of Bowie mixed in with some classic dance grooves.

(They also played The Bus Driver song, Jenny, Hurt Feelings, Too Many Motheruckers, Business Time, Think About It, I’m Not Crying, Hiphopapotamus v Rhymenocerous and a couple of newbies such as 1357 and Demon Woman.)

The banter with the crowd turned slightly awkward at the beginning but Jemaine ironed out an kinks by pointing out that it must be “C*nt Thursday”. Agreed. The banter was generally good craic when it wasn’t drowned out by people in the audience shouting the stupidest thing that popped into their thick heads like” Show us your (please insert any bold body part here)”. Theme of the night? Comedians checking their watches. Was opening night that bad? Apparently not, but the crowd should seriously consider their assholery. Drunken idiots shouting random song names at the two Kiwis may have been easier to handle on the opening night, but was clearly wearing a bit thin on the second night. This isn’t a pub session, who’s name is on the poster? Why, why would anybody shout “Waltzing Matilda” in the middle of a gig? Being the good sports that they are Bret and Jemaine had the banter with the crowd but the idiocracy didn’t go unnoticed, by me anyway.

In the words of DOD, Flight of the Conchords were awesome man.

Source
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by hellomyfriend » Sun May 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Amily wrote:
... but Jemaine ironed out an kinks by pointing out that it must be [size=150] “C*nt Thursday”. Agreed. ... [/size]

:o :o :o
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by Red » Sun May 09, 2010 4:39 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:
Amily wrote:
... but Jemaine ironed out an kinks by pointing out that it must be “C*nt Thursday”. Agreed. ...

He looked so pleased with himself when he said it too! [image]
Red
Turning white clouds grey

by hellomyfriend » Sun May 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Red wrote:
hellomyfriend wrote:

He looked so pleased with himself when he said it too! [image]

[image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by emira » Mon May 10, 2010 7:11 am

Amily wrote:
Bret played along on the mini red piano (Fan fact: The same piano they used to play “If You’re Into It” to Bret’s girlfriend Coco in their HBO series).

Not the same [image] (Sorry, Sam, for using your smiley but I had to ;) ).
emira
You can't break this heart...

by Red » Tue May 11, 2010 6:55 am

Here's the lovely Kipples with Jemaine.

Her account of meeting him that she shared on WTF!:

Oh yea, I also MET JEMAINE!!!

We got down there about half six. At quarter to eight I saw Nigel walking up and saw Jemaine behind him. I can't belive how calm I felt as I said to girls "Yeah Jemaines coming up". My calmness didn't last long though and the shakes started!
I was wearing my Crazy Horses Gang T-Shirt. He asked me where did I get it and I think I said "Um..the N..New Zealand website th...that you can..get..t from canyoudothesign?!"
So I have a picture of me and Jemaine doing the call to arms sign for the Crazy Horses Gang. And he made the PFFFTT! sound! Gah....I cannae believe man!

[image]
Credit: Kipples
Red
Turning white clouds grey

by gezyka » Tue May 11, 2010 9:27 am

Aww, that's so cute! [image] As always, thanks for sharing, LaDonna. [image]
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by emira » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:56 pm

Kipples uploaded some more photos on Flickr. here is the set.

My favourites:

#love3#

#love3#

and there's also Bret from Manchester. #loveeyes#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by Amily » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:09 pm

emira wrote:Image

This is my favourite. His face! #fit# #love3# #fit#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily