Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Hmm, we should do this next year (live recordings)

FOTC gigs from the past, present and not so distant future.

by duttle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:05 pm

check this out

http://radiohead-prague.nataly.fr/Main.html

last year, a group of radiohead fans (possibly from a forum, i'm not sure) gathered at a show (in prague) and all took their own videos from all different angles and spliced them together. radiohead was told they were doing this and were gracious enough to supply them with the actual sound board recording of the show.
the finished product is free and has been made available to everyone via youtube and also as a download to dvd and other formats to view on your computer.

anyway, how cool would it be to do this at a fotc show?

if anyone remembers, early this summer i posted a thread about putting together a free live dvd compilation for fans. i haven't really had the time and it really never took off at all. something like this would be a little easier i think and also tons of fun!

like the radiohead thing, the guys should be told a group is planning on doing something like this and i'm sure they would be more than happy to allow it to happen and maybe even figure out a way to get the soundboard recording (if possible, not all venues record the shows).

or...they could hurry up and release a damn official live dvd already! 8-)
duttle
Lost but happy at sea

by Amily » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Sounds cool duttle. #aziz# Just remember to bring it up again next time the guys go on tour or it might be forgotten. :P

I think maybe why the DVD idea/thread didn't take off is because there needs to be a planner, someone to take charge and start things going. You know? ;)
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by onlyalways » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:42 pm

I love the idea, who wouldn't want a full fledged, 2+ hour recording of one of their live shows? #aziz#

When the time comes, and sounds like they still want to do "the live thing", I'd bring it up again... but some things may be out of our control like where we are sitting for different angles, who has a good quality camera that is capable of recording about two straight hours, and if the specific venue will even allow recording...

That is awesome that radiohead not only was cool with it, but worked to get the soundboard recording. But you never know how Bret and Jemaine would feel about this. #shrug#

Right now my personal feeling is that it almost cheapens the experience of seeing them live. No youtube video, even if it would be the entire show, compares to seeing them in the flesh, working off the cuff from what your audience is doing and saying. BUT have I recorded videos of the show? Of course! #haha# And this video could be seen by fans who can't see them live, which would be a very good thing. So yea, mixed feelings. :P

I'd say this is worth coming back to come another tour season. :)

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by Chloue » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:35 pm

onlyalways wrote:Right now my personal feeling is that it almost cheapens the experience of seeing them live. No youtube video, even if it would be the entire show, compares to seeing them in the flesh, working off the cuff from what your audience is doing and saying.

that is for sure, but what if you can't see them?
well anyways, the idea is awesome but maybe not doable (is it a word?).......
Chloue
I like to rock the party!

by onlyalways » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Chloue wrote:that is for sure, but what if you can't see them?

Yea, that would be one of the main benefits of a video. For people who can't see them live. But IF we were to go through a plan like this, I would want it to be just perfect. Nothing half-assed that would take away from the show. :-\

For those who really wanted to see them live, there is still Amoeba and of course One Night Stand.

(Although I totally suggest just doing everything you possibly can to go see them live. #haha# #crazy#)

Chloue wrote:well anyways, the idea is awesome but maybe not doable (is it a word?).......

Yes it is! #aziz# Like:

"Going to this Conchords concert is very doable, I just need to buy my plane ticket." ;D

And "I find Jemaine very doable."

We must be good at guitar... we're not that good.

tumblr | twitter
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

by emira » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:05 am

My dream, which will never come true is that the Conchords do something what Peter Gabriel is doing with his Back To Front Tour 2013 shows. He's recording them and releasing unedited audios on CDs from EVERY show.

The Peter Gabriel Encore Series will again be available on the 'Back to Front' Tour 2013. Each show will be recorded live off the soundboard, mixed by Peter’s Front of House Engineer, Ben Findlay.

2-CD set of the complete and unedited concert. These professionally mastered and manufactured CDs (not CD-Rs) are packaged in cardboard mini (LP-style) gatefold sleeves that add to the bootleg look and feel.

The Encore Series will, for the first time, be offering a free 24 bit/96khz high-resolution digital download of the show is offered with every purchase.

Finished discs ship approximately 3-4 weeks after concert.

source

You can also buy Collectors Box Set with the audio from all 18 shows of the tour!

Now that's what I call feeding fan's hunger.
emira
You can't break this heart...

by blondesnotbombs » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:51 pm

The Swell Season did that when they toured in 2008. They weren't CDs though, just digital downloads. I spent so much money on soundboard recordings of their gigs. :o

OK Go did it on one of their recent tours as well, selling USB drives with that night's show at the merch stand.

It's a great idea. I wish more bands would take advantage of it (including the Conchords, obviously).
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by gezyka » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 pm

This is a startup here in Austin: http://set.fm/about

The nice thing (aside from the obvious) is that it helps bands make more money from touring. #cheer#
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by chrissycubana » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:50 pm

Did anyone else find it kinda freaky that Sylwia posted exactly 3 years *to the day* after the previous post in this thread?

No? I'm the only weirdo here? Alright then.

#crazy#

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by emira » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:35 pm

blondesnotbombs wrote:It's a great idea. I wish more bands would take advantage of it (including the Conchords, obviously).

I didn't know about that all. Hopefully it becomes more popular with time.

gezyka wrote:This is a startup here in Austin: http://set.fm/about

The nice thing (aside from the obvious) is that it helps bands make more money from touring. #cheer#

I've just sent the link to the guys from TPF. They're amazing live! #cloud9#

chrissycubana wrote:Did anyone else find it kinda freaky that Sylwia posted exactly 3 years *to the day* after the previous post in this thread?

No? I'm the only weirdo here? Alright then.

#crazy#

:o :o :o

I didn't notice that!
emira
You can't break this heart...

Return to What Goes On Tour