Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

O2 - London - January

FOTC gigs from the past, present and not so distant future.

by rhymenocerous » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:02 pm

I wish I could go. Maybe I'll try and work out a trip on the company dime :) Then again, it is going to be a BIG crowd (I heard 17,000), so I am sure I wouldn't be able to get close.
rhymenocerous

by sargifster » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:59 pm

Is The Times still going on about the Q magazine rumour - or have they heard something we haven't? :)

Can comedy get any larger? And, more importantly, should it? This year we've seen tours by Lee Evans, the Mighty Boosh, Chris Rock, Russell Howard and Steve Coogan that have all played at venues usually reserved for bigtime rock bands. Coming up we've got a tour by the reliably excellent Al Murray, the Pub Landlord, during which he'll bring his beer-barrel wisdom to 36,000 people over two nights at the O2 centre in London. The Canadian-Asian comic Russell Peters has sold out his Valentine's night date at the same venue (nope, I'd barely heard of him either). And even the Kiwi duo Flight of the Conchords are rumoured to be joining this comedy superleague on the back of the cult success of their sitcom.

Source: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/comedy/article5393760.ece
sargifster
Administrator

by aom192 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:24 pm

Holy shi! :o
aom192
I like to rock the party!

by bubblegumpie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:59 am

Though by now I think this is quite probably true, I sort of wish it wasn't. Well, no, not that at all - I'd love to see them live! - but I really wish they were rumoured to be performing somewhere else in the UK. The 02 is such a massive venue, and I really feel that a smaller, more intimate gig would be so much better. Also, as fantastic as they are, they're sadly not as well known here as say, the Mighty Boosh, who performed at the 02 recently. From my experience it just doesn't seem like enough people know about FotC for them to fill it. That said however, I have seen them referenced (magazines, tv, etc) a bit more here of late, and reading sargifster's post above (I reckon the Times is probably referring to the same rumour, yeah)... I barely know who Russell Peters is, so maybe I've no idea what I'm talking about... !
bubblegumpie
I'm making a lasagne... for one

by kirstie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:24 am

bubblegumpie wrote:Though by now I think this is quite probably true, I sort of wish it wasn't. Well, no, not that at all - I'd love to see them live! - but I really wish they were rumoured to be performing somewhere else in the UK. The 02 is such a massive venue, and I really feel that a smaller, more intimate gig would be so much better. Also, as fantastic as they are, they're sadly not as well known here as say, the Mighty Boosh, who performed at the 02 recently. From my experience it just doesn't seem like enough people know about FotC for them to fill it. That said however, I have seen them referenced (magazines, tv, etc) a bit more here of late, and reading sargifster's post above (I reckon the Times is probably referring to the same rumour, yeah)... I barely know who Russell Peters is, so maybe I've no idea what I'm talking about... !

I agree. The O2 arena is far too big a venue for them, especially with acoustic guitars. They'd be better off doing a tour around the country playing smaller venues, like the O2 academies and the like. People would probably be more inclined to go, too.
kirstie
I'm not crying

by hellomyfriend » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Wait ... so they ARE playing the O2??

I'm going to assume it's malarkey until I hear it confirmed from an official source (ATTN: FotC managers or Sub Pop or Conchords ... If this is a rumor, please debunk it! If it's true, please give us a date!).
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by aom192 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:26 pm

I'm jus hoping they stop off where i live
aom192

by hellomyfriend » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:29 pm

aom192 wrote:I'm jus hoping they stop off where i live

Your studio compartment? :P
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by bubblegumpie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:36 am

hellomyfriend wrote:Wait ... so they ARE playing the O2??

I'm going to assume it's malarkey until I hear it confirmed from an official source (ATTN: FotC managers or Sub Pop or Conchords ... If this is a rumor, please debunk it! If it's true, please give us a date!).

I'm gonna go with that too as it is still only a rumour, albeit an oft-mentioned one. I've got my fingers crossed for smaller venues but this 02 rumour is proving to be quite persistent... :-/

kirstie wrote:They'd be better off doing a tour around the country playing smaller venues, like the O2 academies and the like. People would probably be more inclined to go, too.

Yes! I totally agree. :P *fingers still crossed*
bubblegumpie

by aom192 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:10 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:
aom192 wrote:I'm jus hoping they stop off where i live

Your studio compartment? :P

Yes although that location is a bit of a lie. I'm actually in a house :P
aom192

by SheWolf » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:14 pm

I'm not really sure why people are believing this rumor. It's been going round forever but was never confirmed by anyone including the venue.
SheWolf
Let's boom the boom

by thehitcher » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:16 am

The o2 arena has a smaller venue within called the indigo2.

More likely they will play there tbf.

I will be there for sure it happened
thehitcher

by sargifster » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:47 am

Jessica suggested I should repost this here as well:

I finally found a quote I have been looking for, for ages... Quite by accident, an old Dom Post article got pushed back into the Most Viewed list today.

"McKenzie's mother, Deirdre Tarrant, a Wellington dance teacher, said the pair wanted to spread their wings."

"They've done a huge amount of touring. It's just got out of control. They're definitely developing a show that's going to play big spaces."

Flight of the Conchords have been booked for a January gig at the new O2 arena in London which seats 20,000 people.

It was the "definitely developing a show that's going to play big spaces" quote that I knew I had read.

It was reading that quote a while back, that made me wonder whether the O2 rumour or something similar was correct. I know that the whole January thing is out - now that we are on the 19th January ;D - but it may impact plans for future venues in the UK.

I wonder if this idea will have an impact on their North America tour plans for 2009, and the venues they choose?

Or they may have decided to stay small and more intimate? Who knows, until it has been announced?

I am happy to have tied up a loose end though, even if only for me - and in my head... ;D

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominionpost/4...23882.html
sargifster
Administrator

by rhymenocerous » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:05 pm

Unfortunately, bigger arenas mean not as much fan one-on-one time, so I may have missed out on all that fun, but I just want a chance to see the guys live!!!
rhymenocerous

by gezyka » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:36 pm

gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

PreviousNext

Return to What Goes On Tour