Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

The music of FOTC: Freak out with your geek out!

Banter about the rhythm of the movement of the feel of the melody of the rhythm of the feeling of Bret and Jemaine's music. Here you will find the largest known collection of Conchords lyrics and chords.

by emira » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:34 pm

I love this thread even though it's been pointed to me just now. I'm not a musician (I wish; my parents didn't send me to the proper school when there was the time for it [image] ) but I love the details like "the Devil in music" one. I sense with my heart and ear that the Conchords are excellent musicians, because I can't stop listening to them.

That's a real shame it's been quiet around here.


sargifster wrote:


A short collection of most of the more obvious parodies of season 1, contrasted against the original songs.


This is great!


murrayland wrote:that's a great clip!

Of course there's the ones from this year:
Sugalumps - Kelis's Milkshake, and Missy Elliot's Get Ya Freak On

Demon Woman - Cliff Richards' Devil Woman

Hurt Feelings - All those Fresh Prince videos with a jigger of Biz Markie's Just a Friend thrown in

Love is Your Weapon of Choice - Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart"

Oh, there are more, but those are the ones that sprung to mind.


So here you are:



[image]


sargifster wrote:I don't know how technically "music geeky" this is...

Right at the beginning of New Zealand Town, Bret and Jemaine are talking through a song before going in front of their audience of one plus the shopping bags...

J: So, it goes G...

B: G, Bb (B flat)...

Which just happens to be the first two chords of "Rock The Party". ;D

I love the fact that even after all their "performances" of Rock The Party - they still can't really remember how it goes...

[image]


This is brilliant! [image]

Has anyone paid attention to what Bret's singing in "Bowie" episode when Murray enters their apartment and brings the magazine? I think it goes like this "Do you remember the times when we were kids..." I don't know if this song exists or they are just making it up. [image]
emira
You can't break this heart...
 
Posts: 9806
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:42 am
Location: the COO of Doggy Bounce

by mcdoofus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:18 pm

Oooh, this is the first time I've seen this thread, too. :o

Hahaha at the "Rock the Party" thing. I love that subtle comedy. :P

I was trying to figure out what he was singing in "Bowie" too, but I don't know if it's a real song either. It sounds cute, though. :3

And I know everyone compares "Think Think About It" with "What's Going On", but I think musically it also sounds like "Mercy, Mercy Me". The lyrics not really because it's ecological. XD
Either way I don't care because Marvin Gaye's music makes me happy (as does the fact that the guys parody it). XP

P.S. Those videos are awesome. Hee.

P.P.S. I know people think "The Most Beautiful Girl In The Room" isn't Prince-like at all, but I can hear it.
mcdoofus
I like to rock the party!
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Chicago

by emira » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:25 am


mcdoofus wrote:
P.P.S. I know people think "The Most Beautiful Girl In The Room" isn't Prince-like at all, but I can hear it.


I can definitely hear "The most beautiful girl in the world" and the Guys can hear it as well ;)

emira
You can't break this heart...
 
Posts: 9806
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:42 am
Location: the COO of Doggy Bounce

by sheila » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:30 pm


emira wrote:
mcdoofus wrote:
P.P.S. I know people think "The Most Beautiful Girl In The Room" isn't Prince-like at all, but I can hear it.


I can definitely hear "The most beautiful girl in the world" and the Guys can hear it as well ;)








;D ;)
sheila
Way less focused than squirrels
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:56 pm
Location: in the sky with diamonds

by emira » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:07 pm


sheila wrote:
emira wrote:

I can definitely hear "The most beautiful girl in the world" and the Guys can hear it as well ;)








;D ;)


Is Beck a comedy-parody act as well? ;D ;)
emira
You can't break this heart...
 
Posts: 9806
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:42 am
Location: the COO of Doggy Bounce

by sheila » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:33 pm


emira wrote:
sheila wrote:






;D ;)


Is Beck a comedy-parody act as well? ;D ;)


he is not ... but i def hear a lot of beck in fotc.
sheila
Way less focused than squirrels
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:56 pm
Location: in the sky with diamonds

by emira » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:26 pm


sheila wrote:
emira wrote:

Is Beck a comedy-parody act as well? ;D ;)


he is not ... but i def hear a lot of beck in fotc.


sorry, that was irony [image]
emira
You can't break this heart...
 
Posts: 9806
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:42 am
Location: the COO of Doggy Bounce

by emira » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:48 pm

I've been reluctant with practicing playing the guitar recently and pretty lazy after winter holiday [image] . I couldn't force myself to studying the notes or just simply stretching my hands etc. ::)

Today I took a FOTC songbook to my guitar class to ask my teacher to crack the chords for me. He admitted they aren't that simple when it comes to explaining them; a lot of #s and 7s :-/ but when he started doing it and struck some chords for "Think about it" without even knowing the song, I just jumped inside [image] or even blushed with excitement and my reluctance has gone [image] .


So actually, this post is just about the power of even individually flying chords and the multiplied power of the chords played together. [image] [image] [image]


ADD

Oh, the chords that sound together best:

[image] [image] + [image] [image] = [image]



Am I too obvious? [image]
emira
You can't break this heart...
 
Posts: 9806
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:42 am
Location: the COO of Doggy Bounce

by emira » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:54 am


How do they rate themselves as musicians?

"Bret's better than I am, and I'm worse than Bret is," says Clement.

"And I think we're both just above mediocre," says McKenzie.

source

[image] ;D [image]


...“but we’re still technically a band,” McKenzie says.

Film-maker Gemma Gracewood, a Wellington neighbour and bandmate of McKenzie’s in the Wellington Ukulele Orchestra, agrees.

"Their musical and songwriting prowess is stunning. If you put the gags aside and just listen to the composition of the songs, two guys on guitars, without a drum kit, with a full venue dancing to them – not just laughing along, but actually grooving to the music … I think that’s one of the biggest keys to their success, but it sits behind the comedy.

"You listen to one of their songs and there are shades of Bowie, shades of the Velvet Underground, the Beatles. They know their music. There’s a real magic there.

source

I agree with Gemma [image]
emira
You can't break this heart...
 
Posts: 9806
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:42 am
Location: the COO of Doggy Bounce

by hellomyfriend » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:03 pm


emira wrote:I've been reluctant with practicing playing the guitar recently and pretty lazy after winter holiday [image] . I couldn't force myself to studying the notes or just simply stretching my hands etc. ::)

Today I took a FOTC songbook to my guitar class to ask my teacher to crack the chords for me. He admitted they aren't that simple when it comes to explaining them; a lot of #s and 7s :-/ but when he started doing it and struck some chords for "Think about it" without even knowing the song, I just jumped inside [image] or even blushed with excitement and my reluctance has gone [image] .


So actually, this post is just about the power of even individually flying chords and the multiplied power of the chords played together. [image] [image] [image]


ADD

Oh, the chords that sound together best:

[image] [image] + [image] [image] = [image]



Am I too obvious? [image]


[image]


Congratulations on jumping back in. [image] Now you're that much closer to starting an FotC tribute band. ;D

User avatar
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret
 
Posts: 24025
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:10 pm
Location: Earth

by emira » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:58 pm

^^ maybe some day... ;D

***


Is it fair to describe your music as a hybrid form that parodies folk music and other genres?
[image] I would describe our music as weird. I mean, I wouldn’t want to listen to it.


NYTimes
emira
You can't break this heart...
 
Posts: 9806
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:42 am
Location: the COO of Doggy Bounce

Previous

Return to Working the Beat