Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

The music of FOTC: Freak out with your geek out!

Banter about the rhythm of the movement of the feel of the melody of the rhythm of the feeling of Bret and Jemaine's music. Here you will find the largest known collection of Conchords lyrics and chords.

by gezyka » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:04 pm

This thread was actually Sarah's idea...but I couldn't hold back any longer! (and yes, I asked her if she wouldn't mind ;))

So, yeah...this is for discussing the stuff behind/within the music. And let's say this is for any Conchords song, ever. ;D

[image] [image] s unite!!!

[image]
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by gezyka » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:41 pm

Here's the most recent thing I've been itching to point out.

Listen to the very beginning of Demon Woman (like the first 5 seconds):

The first thing you hear is the set up of a two measure ostinato. The pitches of the upper part are C-sharp and G, bottom up. (the lower part is the G an octave below the top G)

This is a tri-tone!!!! dun dun dunnnn....

The non-music geeks: What's that and so what?

I'm so glad you asked! It's a diminished 5th (or augmented 4th) and is the most evil interval there is. [image] [image]

Well, back in the day it was. In fact, people used to call it "the Devil in music".

Not a huge thing, but my inner geek appreciates the fact that they included this little detail in the song. [image] [image] [image]

*trudges away to go practice [image] * :P
gezyka

by nikki78 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:36 pm

gezyka wrote:

I'm so glad you asked! It's a diminished 5th (or augmented 4th) and is the most evil interval there is. [image] [image]

Well, back in the day it was. In fact, people used to call it "the Devil in music".

Not a huge thing, but my inner geek appreciates the fact that they included this little detail in the song. [image] [image] [image]

I don't understand most of what you just said, but I love that they (and by they I'm assuming Bret since he's the one who studied music, but that's a big assumption) would add "the devil in music" to Demon Woman. ;D

I [image] music geeks and look forward to more posts in this thread.
nikki78
Smokin' with an eye that's broken

by gezyka » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:54 pm

nikki78 wrote:I don't understand most of what you just said, but I love that they (and by they I'm assuming Bret since he's the one who studied music, but that's a big assumption) would add "the devil in music" to Demon Woman. ;D

I [image] music geeks and look forward to more posts in this thread.

Yes, I'm assuming that Bret is responsible for most of the geekery. [image]

And [image] for your love of music geeks! [image]
gezyka

by step0nmi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:38 pm

whoa jess! that is amazing stuff! I didn't notice the actual octave but I did know that stuff about the Devil music. it's really cool that you pointed that out.

step0nmi

by caiknbake » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 am

resident music geek: prisint!

that's awesome, jess!!!! i should have noticed that but i totally didn't. i'm wondering....how do you know what pitches they are? do you have perfect pitch, or did you just pick them out?
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by gezyka » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:02 am

caiknbake wrote:resident music geek: prisint!

that's awesome, jess!!!! i should have noticed that but i totally didn't. i'm wondering....how do you know what pitches they are? do you have perfect pitch, or did you just pick them out?

[image] for music geeks!

Well, I have good relative pitch. For this, I actually guessed the notes, then double-checked with Fitzy (my viola, for people who don't know :P). If I had perfect pitch, I wouldn't have second-guessed myself. [image]
gezyka

by caiknbake » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:03 am

gezyka wrote:
caiknbake wrote:resident music geek: prisint!

[image] for music geeks!

Well, I have good relative pitch. For this, I actually guessed the notes, then double-checked with Fitzy (my viola, for people who don't know :P). If I had perfect pitch, I wouldn't have second-guessed myself. [image]

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

i need to take more ear-training classes [image]
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by gezyka » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:05 am

caiknbake wrote:
[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

i need to take more ear-training classes [image]

haha! [image]

My ears were actually better while I was in school. I miss nerdy music classes. [image]
gezyka

by chrissycubana » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:33 am

gezyka wrote:Here's the most recent thing I've been itching to point out.

Listen to the very beginning of Demon Woman (like the first 5 seconds):

The first thing you hear is the set up of a two measure ostinato. The pitches of the upper part are C-sharp and G, bottom up. (the lower part is the G an octave below the top G)

This is a tri-tone!!!! dun dun dunnnn....

this is freakin AWESOME (thank you for the explanation for those of us not in the music *know*)

yay for layers upon layers of meaning in this ep + song !!! [image]

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by tanfastic » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:57 am

Well that ostinato really resonates w/me...Not to be corny, but it's a compelling sound. Sorta reminds me of another sound I like -- the goofy Kanye West Heartless song where he has that stacatto pipe organ calliopy thing going. Also about an evil woman (tho I'm sure just putting up w/Kanye would make a gal evil...)

Just wanted to warn y'all Gezyka has her whip out so be very careful.
tanfastic
Let's boom the boom

by gezyka » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:38 pm

haha, I have my whip out?? [image]

I have had other things to point out about other songs, but haven't done so yet...

Here's a quickie that doesn't say much :P: 'Stay Cool Bret' has the most complex harmonies/harmonic progressions in it, but that makes sense since they're mimicking Bernstein. It's funny to compare the clips to see what moves they're doing from WSS. ;D

gezyka

by tanfastic » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:39 pm

A couple times you can here the Chinese lady saying "Stay coor Bret."

I still can't get over Murray's dancing/focus/toe pointing, he deserves an award for that. Oops getting off subject. Thanks for posting the original from WWS gez, it's almost funny as well, being so darned campy.
tanfastic
Let's boom the boom

by talkkiwitome » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:00 pm

I'd like to be a music geek. I wish I could play something or at least have some basic understanding of music. So thanks for putting together this thread so those of us who aren't hardcore music geeks can try and have a deeper appreciation of Conchords awesomeness! [image]
talkkiwitome
Turning white clouds grey

by gezyka » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:55 pm

talkkiwitome wrote:I'd like to be a music geek. I wish I could play something or at least have some basic understanding of music. So thanks for putting together this thread so those of us who aren't hardcore music geeks can try and have a deeper appreciation of Conchords awesomeness! [image]

No problem! Glad it's not a bore. [image] [image]

Now to get the other geeks to up the nerd factor... [image]
gezyka

Next

Return to Working the Beat