FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Playspace Society Variety Show

Talk about the BOOM King here.

by emira » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:04 am

Wednesday, 27 February 2013
19:00

St James Church, Adelaide Rd, Newtown, Wellington

Playspace, Newtown childcare centre par excellence, presents a stellar musical soiree in the intimate surrounds of the historic St James Church. Featuring the glittering talents of The Yoots! Community Orchestra, Samuel Flynn Scott, Toby Laing, Bret McKenzie, Mara TK, Jessie Moss, Rio Hemopo plus very special guest DJ Extra Dad (aka Lord Echo).

Supporting community childcare and education for under-3s, the Playspace Society Variety Show promises to be a triumph!

http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/utr/tick ... y-Show.utr

source

I wish I could be there #cloud9#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 pm

There's a rumour that Jemaine might join Bret, so now it's being promoted as FOTC will perform. I feel weird that there were still tickets available when there was 'just' Bret lined up with so many great Welly musos and now when they add Jemaine, it'll be like 'yay, the Conchords are back!' and now the show will sold out. Which is a good thing but... 8-) You know what I mean?
emira

by blondesnotbombs » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:30 pm

emira wrote:There's a rumour that Jemaine might join Bret, so now it's being promoted as FOTC will perform. I feel weird that there were still tickets available when there was 'just' Bret lined up with so many great Welly musos and now when they add Jemaine, it'll be like 'yay, the Conchords are back!' and now the show will sold out. Which is a good thing but... 8-) You know what I mean?

It's irritating on several levels. 8-) As much as I adore them as a duo, I hate any implication that Bret or Jemaine aren't "good enough" on their own. #fingerwave#

I will laugh if they sell a bunch of tickets based on this rumor and then it's "just" Bret. #haha#
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by caiknbake » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:16 am

blondesnotbombs wrote:I will laugh if they sell a bunch of tickets based on this rumor and then it's "just" Bret. #haha#

oh the heartbreak... 8-)
ImageImage
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

by emira » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:38 am

Sam Scott tweeted that it's not true. There will be only Bret. DomPost again spreads a rumour without checking the facts and going to the source. 8-) #lol#
emira

by blondesnotbombs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:40 am

caiknbake wrote:
blondesnotbombs wrote:I will laugh if they sell a bunch of tickets based on this rumor and then it's "just" Bret. #haha#

oh the heartbreak... 8-)

I know I'd be devastated. #sadd#

emira wrote:Sam Scott tweeted that it's not true. There will be only Bret. DomPost again spreads a rumour without checking the facts and going to the source. 8-) #lol#

Awww, that's a bit of a bummer. I was thinking last night that it would've been fun for them to both be involved but not doing anything together.
blondesnotbombs

by emira » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:11 pm

blondesnotbombs wrote:Awww, that's a bit of a bummer. I was thinking last night that it would've been fun for them to both be involved but not doing anything together.

Maybe Jemaine will just sit in the audience and his involvement would end there. ;)
emira

by emira » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Big names on bill for childcare centre fundraiser
SOPHIE SPEER
Last updated 05:00 26/02/2013

Cake stalls have been replaced with a star-studded musical variety concert as a fundraiser for a Newtown childcare centre.

Flight of the Conchords' Bret McKenzie, Phoenix Foundation's Samuel Flynn Scott, and Fat Freddy's Drop's Toby Laing are among the acts at tomorrow's Playspace Society Variety Show.

All the performers have children at the parent-run co-operative childcare centre in Adelaide Rd.

"This generation of parents, it's our chance to make our mark," Scott said. "[It's a reflection of] people who have played in bands before who are now in their mid-30s with children.

"It's an acknowledgement of not necessarily being young party rock'n'roll bands any more, but being something else."

The concert is being held at St James Church in Newtown, which will fit about 100 people. "It's really going to be a community kind of event. We're not putting on a big concert, it's going to be quite small. There'll be crowd participation and singing along."

The concert was expected to raise about $6000 for the childcare centre. "We usually have cake stalls and stuff like that, but we were finding these things to be fairly low yield," Scott said.

"If we raise $6000, we're looking at about 60 cake stalls - so this is much more efficient."

This year there were 15 children attending the centre, many the offspring of musical parents.

Also in the lineup are Trinity Roots' Rio Hemopo, Mara TK, Jessie Moss, and The Yoots.

Scott said the bands would play their well-known songs, including Phoenix Foundation songs performed by a band made up entirely of fathers, and a duo with Scott and McKenzie.

The money raised would "help keep things ticking over". Limited tickets for tomorrow's 7pm show are still available from underthe radar.co.nz for $30.

DomPost

How I wish to be in Wellington and what is more, be a teacher at this childcare centre. #shy#
emira

by blondesnotbombs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:03 pm

I want to watch the performances! #fit#
blondesnotbombs

by emira » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 pm

blondesnotbombs wrote:I want to watch the performances! #fit#

#fit# #fit# especially now when I read that Sam will be in a duo with Bret! #cry# I hope someone will record them. #pray#
emira

by emira » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:55 am

twitter

one more: muppet or man ( Sam from Phoenix Bro was the muppet) http://yfrog.com/ob2wnwtrj

twitter

Live rendition of Brett McKenzie's #oscar winning 'Muppet Song' in an abandoned church in #wellington #fundraiser

twitter

Great playspace fundraiser with some of #wellington's great musos including #flightoftheconcords Brett McKenzie (on drums)

instagram

Brett McKenzie singing 'short people' with some of #wellington's finest in an old #church as fundraiser

instagram

#love3# #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3#
emira

by emira » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 am

emira

by Amily » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Musical stars turn out for the kids
Stars band together for childcare fundraiser
Last updated 06:36 28/02/2013

HELPING OUT: Phoenix Foundation's Samuel Flynn Scott, left, and Flight of the Conchords' Bret McKenzie play at St James Church in Newtown last night.

It may have been for the kids, but it was the parents up and dancing at a star-studded fundraiser including Flight of the Conchords' Bret McKenzie.

The variety show last night, organised by Playspace childcare centre in Newtown, was held to raise funds for the co-operative, parent-run centre.

On the sloping wooden floor of St James Church in Newtown, people sat cross-legged while listening to folk and acoustic tunes from McKenzie, Samuel Flynn Scott of the Phoenix Foundation and their musical friends.

Childcare centre parents organised the variety show with a goal of raising $6000.

Songs were played in honour of Tame Iti, craft beer flowed freely and so did a fair few swear words while the audience swayed in time.

As guitarist Mara TK put it, it was time to send the kids to bed.

McKenzie said his daughter Vita and son Leo were at home while he helped their childcare centre earn a few dollars.

The hit of the night was a rendition of McKenzie's Oscar-winning tune Man or Muppet, with Scott and him leading the crowd in a sing-along.

"I'm going to be the man, and Sam has sort of volunteered to be the muppet," McKenzie said.

"We'll see how that goes."

source
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by blondesnotbombs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Amily wrote:Image

#love3#

I want a video of this Man or Muppet performance. #cry#
blondesnotbombs