FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

BRET'S AN OSCAR WINNER!!!

Talk about the BOOM King here.

by Amily » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:41 pm

McKenzie 'terrified' during Oscars
By Paul Harper
UPDATED 10:39 AM Tuesday Feb 28, 2012

Bret McKenzie plans to put his Oscar on top of his piano - although might use the award to get into a few bars first.

The New Zealander yesterday won the best original song at the Academy Awards for his song Man or Muppet, in The Muppets movie.

The Flight of the Conchord's told Radio New Zealand he was terrified during the award's show.

"When they did actually call my name I was strangely calm. But leading up to it, I haven't slept since I got nominated a month ago.

"I spent two days (working on the speech), practising in the shower. I knew that if I didn't prepare something I would be a total mess.

"It was really fun, it was a great night."

McKenzie said his two young children were "pretty impressed" with the Oscar statue.

"I've got a two-year-old and a one-year-old. The one-year-old, all he got to do was wear a tuxedo t-shirt, and the two-year-old, she now has some shoes she calls her Oscar shoes."

He said the Oscar will likely go on top of his piano.

"Maybe I'll take it around town for a while, [use it to] get into bars."

Much has been made about how the Oscar, alongside McKenzie's previous Grammy win, would open doors for the Kiwi.

"I'm not sure what it will mean for my career," McKenzie said. "I think I will be able to take meetings more easily in Hollywood.

"I haven't caught up with Jermaine yet. When we write some more songs coming up in the next couple of months, I'll be able to fall back on the Oscar if we have a disagreement over what chord to go to."

McKenzie joked the success has "gone to my head".

"It's going to be very difficult from now on."

McKenzie said he would be returning to Wellington this week to "chill out for a bit".

"What do I do next? I'll have to work on getting into the All Blacks," he joked.

NZ Herald

Bret. #love3#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Bret talks to Radio New Zealand about his Oscar win

I've just realised now that I'm listening to it, that a lot of the previous article was taken from this interview but it's always better to actually hear him. :)
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Bret McKenzie's hard work led to Oscar glory - mum
Published: 10:05AM Tuesday February 28, 2012

Bret McKenzie's mum says it has been a lifetime of dedication to music that culminated in his Oscar glory last night.

McKenzie was awarded the Oscar for best original song with Man or Muppet, from The Muppets movie, joining a small group of New Zealanders who have been recognised with an Academy Award.

His mum, Diedre Tarrant, told TV ONE's Breakfast that before the awards McKenzie was nervous rather than confident about winning.

McKenzie and his wife Hannah Clarke attended the awards show, while Tarrant watched on from a Los Angeles hotel room, looking after their two children.

"They wanted to see their mum and dad on the red carpet," she said.

Tarrant said the win was "very emotional really. He made a good speech."

"I loved it when he said 'I grew up in New Zealand' as his opening line."

Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis presented McKenzie with the award, and as he took to the stage, McKenzie said "I grew up in New Zealand watching The Muppets on TV, never dreamed I'd get to work with them."

He also thanked his parents for "never telling me to get a real job".

But his mum told Breakfast that from a young age Bret was focused on his music.

"He's been very musical from very young, you want to be doing what you really love, and you want to be really happy doing it," she said.

"Go for it, I think we've been really pro-that."

'He's very meticulous'

Tarrant said that while McKenzie has followed his dreams, it has been backed up by hard work.

"I think you can follow your dreams anywhere, it's all about how hard you work at it," she said.

"And he's really worked at it, he's a very meticulous, very professional person in terms of music."

She believes that the role with The Muppets was perfect since it allowed him to utilise all of his musical talent.

"It was wonderful, this particular job, because it was a musical supervisor job, so all those different instruments he played, and all that musical expertise came into play - not just the guitar."

McKenzie's Life's a Happy Song won best song at the 2012 Critics' Choice Movie Awards earlier this year, and Tarrant says he was 'chuffed' with this win since it was decided by his musical peers.

However, not everyone may be as pleased with McKenzie's win as his mum.

Jemaine Clement, who formed Flight of the Conchords along with McKenzie, tweeted last year: "My buddy Bret is making music with muppets. I guess human collaborators just WEREN'T ENOUGH. Excuse me a moment."

And backstage after the Oscars, McKenzie was not shy about giving Clement a ribbing when asked by a reporter how he found writing the award winning song without his song-writing partner.

"It seems to have gone very well (without Jemaine)," McKenzie laughed.

"But I'm looking forward to writing with Jemaine in the future... because I can pull out the Oscar car and say 'Aaaah, I think we should use this chord and I won an Oscar so...' anyway, yeah."

Watch video: Bret McKenzie's mum on Oscar success (5:51)

TVNZ

URGH. They quoted the fake Jemaine on twitter. #blah# #fingerwave#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by blondesnotbombs » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 pm

I love the fact that every time something happens with Bret/FotC the New Zealand press goes to Bret's mom for the scoop. #haha# #love3#
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

by emira » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:37 pm

blondesnotbombs wrote:I love the fact that every time something happens with Bret/FotC the New Zealand press goes to Bret's mom for the scoop. #haha# #love3#

Or his dad. #haha#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by emira » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Photos with watermarks. >:(

A lot of photos on Zimbio.

I'll post the rest tomorrow, as it's pretty late here now. :)
emira

by Amily » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:03 am

Love these pictures from Iain Morris on Twitter. ;D

my grandfather, who worked for heinz for 40 years, would be proud of this. yfrog.com/o0q51caj

here's an unfunny, just-showing-off, photo. i am so proud of bret and james and so happy. yfrog.com/h2vekiggj

amazing yfrog.com/nx4l8tjj

NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by gezyka » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:08 am

Amily wrote:
here's an unfunny, just-showing-off, photo. i am so proud of bret and james and so happy. yfrog.com/h2vekiggj

amazing yfrog.com/nx4l8tjj

Awwwww. And his hair is so fluffy here! #lol# #love3#
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by Amily » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:44 am

Silly mini interview with Bret and James at 3:36! #love3#

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPFe_1rudVs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfh-nfgfF9E[/youtube]
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by emira » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:30 pm

gezyka wrote:Awwwww. And his hair is so fluffy here! #lol# #love3#

He must have used a lot of hair gel for the Oscars to look much cooler. ;D

Love that silly interview. "You're an angel?" #love3#
emira

by gezyka » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 pm

I dunno what this says, but it's so very cute:

source

My guess at the translation: #squee# #excited# #excited2# #cheer#

#love3#
gezyka

by Amily » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Awwww! It IS cute! #love3#

It looks like spanish... ? (just guessing) Maybe Chrissy can decipher it for us. #idea#

BTW, I love your translation Jess. #lol# I think it's probably accurate. #thumbsup#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by Amily » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Awards Soup: 10 Moments to Remember From a Long Season
By Steve Pond at TheWrap
Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:14pm EST

[...]

10. "Man or Muppet"

The Best Original Song category is a conundrum. It's saddled with restrictive rules that are completely biased against even the best end-credits songs, and dependent on a scoring system and a body of voters so picky that only two songs made the cut this year. And when the Oscar show's producers made the decision not to perform those two songs on the show, I had to wonder if the category is even worth retaining.

And yet in the last 20 years, the song category has been responsible for Oscars going to Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Eminem, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, Ryan Bingham – a roll call of smart choices and great songs.

This year, voters had the choice between a Latin music legend, Sergio Mendes, and half of the New Zealand music/comedy duo (and HBO series) the Flight of the Conchords – and they chose Bret McKenzie, the Conchord, for a song from "The Muppets" that was, for my money, the best and funniest musical moment in a film last year.

When I spoke to McKenzie on the red carpet, I asked him if winning an Oscar would completely mess up the Flight of the Conchords' lovable-loser persona – and immediately, he and "Muppets" director James Bobin came up with a brilliant solution: if they ever have the opportunity and the time to shoot a third season of "Conchords," they'll simply set the Oscar on a table in the cramped apartment shared by McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, and never even attempt to explain why it's there.

Reuters

I love this. #lol#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by chrissycubana » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 am

gezyka wrote:I dunno what this says, but it's so very cute:

source

My guess at the translation: #squee# #excited# #excited2# #cheer#

#love3#

Here's what I've got (I'm a bit confused with one part of it, but got the general idea down - sorry; my spanish is rusty :*( )

"Because it deserves an entire page in my notebook!!

The day that Bret McKenzie won the Oscar for the best original song “Man or Muppet” (and it has been ignored by them [not sure about this bit] but the four geeks who know him are proud. He deserves it!)

The four geeks that know him…

*here in Spain, at least, we are the 4 geeks"

[I had to look up “frikis” on google translate; it means “geeks” – hee!]

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by gezyka » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Amily wrote:
When I spoke to McKenzie on the red carpet, I asked him if winning an Oscar would completely mess up the Flight of the Conchords' lovable-loser persona – and immediately, he and "Muppets" director James Bobin came up with a brilliant solution: if they ever have the opportunity and the time to shoot a third season of "Conchords," they'll simply set the Oscar on a table in the cramped apartment shared by McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, and never even attempt to explain why it's there.

Reuters

I love this. #lol#

haha! #dance# #dance#

chrissycubana wrote:Here's what I've got (I'm a bit confused with one part of it, but got the general idea down - sorry; my spanish is rusty :*( )

"Because it deserves an entire page in my notebook!!

The day that Bret McKenzie won the Oscar for the best original song “Man or Muppet” (and it has been ignored by them [not sure about this bit] but the four geeks who know him are proud. He deserves it!)

The four geeks that know him…

*here in Spain, at least, we are the 4 geeks"

[I had to look up “frikis” on google translate; it means “geeks” – hee!]

Ohhhh, it's even cuter now! #love3# Thanks, Chrissy! #glomp#
gezyka

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie