Login or Register

User Menu

Login

FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Austenland

Talk about the BOOM King here.

by emira » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm

When I saw Bret in Black Sands, I thought he'd be good in a romantic film, either comedy or even drama, so here you are, #excited2#

Jerusha Hess to Direct Romantic Comedy with 'Twilight' Author Stephenie Meyer Producing (Exclusive)

The "Napoleon Dynamite" co-writer has lined up Keri Russell, J.J. Feild and Bret McKenzie to star in the romantic comedy "Austenland," which will be Meyer's debut as a producer of non-authored material.

Keri Russell, JJ Feild and Bret McKenzie will star in Austenland, an indie romantic comedy that is serving as the directorial debut of Jerusha Hess, who co-wrote Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre with her husband, helmer Jared Hess.

In a twist, the movie is also serving as the producing debut of Stephenie Meyer, author of the best-selling vampire books The Twilight Saga. Meyer has acted as a producer on the Twilight adaptations but this will be her first time working on non-authored fare.

Meyer is producing and financing the pic though her Fickle Fish Films banner, which she runs with Meghan Hibbett. Moxie Pictures’ Gina Mingacci is also producing.

Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Seymour, Rupert Vansittart and James Callis make up the supporting cast of the rom-com, which centers on a single, thirtysomething woman with a secret obsession with Mr. Darcy -- as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. The obsession is ruining her love life because no real man can compare.

When she decides to spend her life savings on a trip to an English resort catering to Jane Austen-crazed women, the woman's fantasy of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman becomes more real than she could have imagined.

Feild is playing a Mr. Darcy actor at Austenland who develops true feelings for the American woman. Coolidge is playing a vain and crude vacationer.

Shannon Hale wrote the book on which the movie is based and co-wrote the script with Hess.

The movie begins shooting this week in the U.K. UTA is handling worldwide sales.

Hess, who also co-wrote Gentlemen Broncos and is an exec producer on the Fox’s animated TV series version of Napoleon Dynamite, is repped by UTA.

Russell, repped by WME, recently wrapped indie feature Goats, which also stars David Duchovny and Vera Farmiga.

Feild, repped by ICM, next plays British superhero Union Jack in Captain America: The Next Avenger.

source

Bret McKenzie To Act Ironic Opposite Keri Russell In ‘Austenland’

Keri Russell has signed on to likely be creeped out a lot in the directorial debut of Napoleon Dynamite writer Jerusha Hess. Bret McKenzie will also star in the romantic comedy, Austenland. Russell’s character is a woman obsessed with Colin Firth’s portrayal of Mr. Darcy in the BBC’s zombieless adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. All other men pale in comparison causing her love life to suffer. She then travels to a resort for women obsessed with Jane Austen where she hopes to meet the man of her dreams.

Jennifer Coolidge, JJ Field, Jane Seymour, Rupert Vansittart and James Callis round out the rest of the cast. I wouldn’t normally want to see a Regency-based romantic comedy but keep in mind that Hess’s past films have featured the verbal abuse of a llama and python diarrhea. This could be a refreshing take on Austen.

source

#love3# #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3# #love3#

I already love this film and I KNOW that Chrissy will die after reading this #haha#
emira
You can't break this heart...

by Amily » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:15 pm

emira wrote:I already love this film and I KNOW that Chrissy will die after reading this #haha#

I know I'm already waiting for her reaction! #lol# #love3#

Yay Bret!!! #cheer# #cheer# #cheer#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by emira » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:22 pm

AND #omg# Bret may be in the UK already! #wah#

I remember Jerusha saying something about her own project during the Gentlemen Broncos premiere at the Fantastic Fest, but who would think that the Hess' can't get on without the Conchords anymore! #love3# I guess Jared is Jemaine lover and Jerusha Bretero! #lol#
emira

by Amily » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:34 pm

emira wrote:AND #omg# Bret may be in the UK already! #wah#

I remember Jerusha saying something about her own project during the Gentlemen Broncos premiere at the Fantastic Fest, but who would think that the Hess' can't get on without the Conchords anymore! #love3# I guess Jared is Jemaine lover and Jerusha Bretero! #lol#

I was just on IMDB looking for Austenland page (there isn't one yet) and decided to check out The Outback page and it says it's currently filming. No idea where or if Bret is currently filming as well but looks like he's going to be busy lil Conchord for awhile! #excited2#

I love that the Hess' love our guys so much. ;D I enjoy the movies they've put out so far, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

And even though it seems like anything Conchords related is very far off I'm just glad both of our guys are still working. I'm just so proud of them. #love3# #love3#
NEVER FORGET.
tumblr | twitter
Amily
Administrator

by chrissycubana » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:33 pm

HOLY. SHIT.

#thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud# #thud#

THIS. IS. SO. FREAKING. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bret!!! Keri Russell!!!!

Just looked up JJ Feild; he played Henry Tilney in a recent adaptation - that's perfect! Henry is like diet-Darcy. #thumbsup#

Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Seymour, Rupert Vansittart and James Callis make up the supporting cast of the rom-com, which centers on a single, thirtysomething woman with a secret obsession with Mr. Darcy -- as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. The obsession is ruining her love life because no real man can compare.

When she decides to spend her life savings on a trip to an English resort catering to Jane Austen-crazed women, the woman's fantasy of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman becomes more real than she could have imagined.

(but, this is like the plot of Bridget Jones's Diary + The Edge of Reason mushed together... here's hoping the writers do something unique with the premise. I know Jerusha will do a fantastic job directing.

Russell’s character is a woman obsessed with Colin Firth’s portrayal of Mr. Darcy in the BBC’s zombieless adaptation of Pride and Prejudice.

#rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl# #rofl#

keep in mind that Hess’s past films have featured the verbal abuse of a llama and python diarrhea. This could be a refreshing take on Austen.

#excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited# #excited#

Verily, Jane herself would approve of llama abuse and python indigestion. I'm sure of it. In fact, I'm almost positive that Emma has a pet python that gets sick all over her father's llama. No, really. Look it up!

(sneaky Chrissy sneakily tries to get people to read Austen whenever possible ;) )

please don't let Stephanie Meyer anywhere near the script, though. #pray#

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's plagiarism."

"Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit."
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by emira » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:05 am

For me it was this part that sounded familiar:

All other men pale in comparison causing her love life to suffer.

Where do I know this from 8-)

or

chrissycubana wrote:(sneaky Chrissy sneakily tries to get people to read Austen whenever possible ;) )

#lol# #glomp#

I love Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility film adaptation #inlove#

please don't let Stephanie Meyer anywhere near the script, though. #pray#

#pray# #pray#

I've watched only the first part of Twilight and I thought I'll drop off after the first 15 min. 8-)
emira

by emira » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:43 am

Austenland Gets Keri Russell and Bret McKenzie

Keri Russell and Bret McKenzie will star in Austenland

Keri Russell, Bret McKenzie, and JJ Feild have all signed on to star in Austenland, which will serve as the directorial debut of Jerusha Hess (Napoleon Dynamite).

The story is based on the novel by Shannon Hale, who co-wrote the screenplay adaptation with Jerusha Hess. Austenland centers on a thirtysomething woman who is obsessed with the Mr. Darcy character in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, particularly Colin Firth's portrayal of the character in the 1995 BBC mini-series adaptation. Her life is in the doldrums because she cannot find a real man who matches up to Mr. Darcy. When she takes a trip to a resort which caters to those obsessed with Jane Austen's work, she realizes her fantasy of meeting a regal man just may come true.

Keri Russell is playing the single woman, while JJ Feild is playing a Mr. Darcy actor at this Austenland resort. The cast also includes Jennifer Coolidge portraying a cruel vacationer, along with Jane Seymour, Rupert Vansittart, and James Callis.

Production begins this week in the United Kingdom.

source

#excited2#

Oh, and you can stalk @GeorgiaMayKing on Twitter. She seems to be pretty excited about being in the movie with Bret #aziz#
emira

by emira » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:03 am

This is what Shannon Hale wrote on her Official Blog:

July 05, 2011
Super Secret Project...REVEALED!

What I've done today:

1 Done 3 loads of laundry
2 Changed 6 diapers
3 Dropped off and picked up preschooler
4 Played games with my 7 yo
5 Called insurance company to see why one of my twin babies mysteriously isn't covered on our insurance
6 Read about my book becoming a movie on The Hollywood Reporter
7 Freaked out!

It's happening! So much more news to come. I am at least freed to talk about. This has been in the works for two years and it's so exciting! More soon.

Ps. Notice how THR doesn't mention me or my book? Oh Hollywood, you just couldn't love writers any more, could you?

EDIT: They added mention that it's based on my book and I co-wrote the screenplay. Thanks to the friendly commenters who alerted them to the oversight!

Pps. That's a terrible photo of Jerusha Hess. She's really beautiful. Not that we care about such things.

Ppps. SQUEE!

source

Funny thing is that it's no. 6 on her list what she'd done on that day #lol#

She's also on facebook and twitter.

"Why is Bret Mckenzie doing that movie?" 1.he's awesome 2.he's awesome 3.he's awesome #Austenland

#thumbsup#
emira

by emira » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:12 am

And just think we'll hear more of Bret's bbc official accent! #aziz# #lol# #love3#

OK, I'll stop spamming this thread now. #shy#
emira

by Katie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:20 am

I read this book a few years ago! #excited# SO EXCITED. #bret# #blowkiss#
Katie
Totally Fine

by chrissycubana » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Sylwia, i love Ang Lee's S+S too - what an incredible adaptation. the fact that Emma Thompson wrote the screenplay for that film (and won the oscar for her work that year - rightly so) just makes me adore her the more. the actors are just dead-on in their portrayal of the characters. it's really one of the best filmic adaptations of a novel i have ever seen.

up there with the 1995 BBC version of Persuasion and, of course, the 1995 BBC version of P+P #love3#

Katie wrote:I read this book a few years ago! #excited# SO EXCITED. #bret# #blowkiss#

i didn't know this was based on a book!!!!! did you like the book, katie? would you recommend it?

Lost in Austen is a film along the same lines - a young woman is so obsessed with Austen's work that she is transported into the world of P+P. It's based on a book by the same name, but the book is rubbish. It's a choose-your-own-adventure type thing, and is quite a disappointment, sadly.

right. enough geeking out for today. must return to work. 8-)

chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

by emira » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:17 pm

And what do you think of The Jane Austen Book Club? I think it was pretty nice and interesting idea to show all the stories together. Something like Love Actually, but not that funny and touching.
emira

by emira » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:55 pm

July 06, 2011
The simple beauty of a perfect cast

Whew! It's so nice to be able to talk about this at last! If you're not interested in movie making or screenwriting or Austenland, then avert your eyes from this blog for the next couple of months. I will tell all that I can! I will NOT be revealing things I shouldn't, such as exact locations of the filming, etc. But I got the go ahead to say who is playing which character.

Jane - Keri Russell
Nobley - JJ Feild
Martin - Bret Mckenzie
Miss Charming - Jennifer Coolidge
Colonel Andrews - James Callis
Mrs. Wattlesbrook - Jane Seymour
Mr. Wattlesbrook - Rupert Vansittart

EDIT: I forgot to add Rupert Vansittart and have corrected that. There is no Sir John and Aunt Saffronia, Mr & Mrs. Wattlesbrook merging those roles. It was the right choice for the adaptation to screen.

Isn't that a gorgeous cast? I'm so thrilled! If there is anyone you aren't familiar with and you read my blog, then you shortly will be. I'll devote a post to each of them over the next few weeks. The actors playing George East and Lady Heartwright (she got bumped up to "lady" in the screenplay) weren't mentioned in the official announcement, so I'll wait to drop their names.

More info to come, but to sum up: I've spent the past two years writing a screenplay from my book Austenland with Jerusha Hess. This is not to announce my book has been optioned for a movie. This is to announce that IT IS ON. We're making an indie movie from our screenplay and filming starts NOW.

I gotta go pack for England. Crap. I still don't fit into any of my pre-pregnancy clothes. Thanks for all the congrats. I'm so happy that you're happy too. This is a fantasy for sure. Don't pinch me. I'll leave you with this: only one time in my writing career have I written a character with a specific actor in mind. They were able to cast that very actor for that very part. The name appears in the above list. Can you guess?

By the way, if you were thinking of buying a copy of Austenland on ebook to prepare for the movie, did you know that you can still support your local indie bookstore and buy an ebook? Follow this link to purchase it from my local bookstore, The King's English. (through Google ebooks, for all readers except Kindle) Indie movies, indie bookstores, all good things!

Shannon Hale's blog post
emira

by Katie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Chrissy, it's been a few years, but from what I can remember I believe I enjoyed the book. It was a fun, fluffy read. ;D I don't remember much detail, so I'm not sure how prominent Bret's character is. It seems like he's got a good sized part though! #evilgrin#

I also enjoyed the ITV version of Lost in Austen. I think it's on Netflix instant play if anyone is interested.
Katie
Totally Fine

by chrissycubana » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:55 pm

D'awwwww - Shannon sounds adorable!!! I totally want to give her book a chance. Her post, coupled with Katie's recommendation, does it for me. I'll put it on my "to order" list #thumbsup# .

If you're a fan of Austen, or would just like to watch a sweet fluffy bit of fan-fic that's not stupid, definitely watch Lost in Austen. It's sweet (and i'm picky about such things ;D )

chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

Next

Return to Bret McKenzie