FANS OF THE CONCHORDS

MESSAGE BOARD

Bret stars in the film "Two Little Boys"

Talk about the BOOM King here.

by Red » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:43 pm

Ideas to benefit Southland pitched
By ALANA DIXON - The Southland Times
Last updated 05:00 10/04/2010

Gary Hannam is a man with plans for Southland.

The producer of The World's Fastest Indian spent the past two days in Invercargill, pitching ideas aimed at benefiting Southland's economy to community leaders, before heading home to Switzerland yesterday afternoon.

His first idea was for Invercargill to play host to Swiss motorcylists Ruedi Steck and Markus Saegesser, and American woman Leslie Porterfield, during the annual Burt Munro Challenge in Invercargill.

All three hold world speed records in Bonneville, Utah, where Munro set world records in the 1960s. Mr Hannam said he hoped their presence would attract more international competitors, and "lift a successful event to an international level".

It would bring financial rewards not only to Southland, but the rest of the country, he said.

Mr Hannam's second concept was to involve students from the Southern Institute of Technology in the production of a new film, Two Little Boys, directed by Kiwi filmmaker Robert Sarkies.

Five students at the SIT had been given internships during the filming of The World's Fastest Indian.

He wanted SIT's budding film-makers to be given a chance to work on the film, set to star Bret Mckenzie, of Flight of the Conchords fame, and Hamish Blake, one half of well-known Australian comedy duo Hamish and Andy.

Mr Hannam said he did not have any personal interest in the film.

His desire to see both projects go ahead was simply because he enjoyed seeing projects he had helped start continue to be successful, he said.

Source

From Amazon.com about the book Two Little Boys:

Product Description
Review
'Twisted, surprising and very very very funny. Did I put too many verys? I don't think so' -- Jemaine Clement, 'Flight of the Conchords' 'It's not often you read a novel which makes you laugh out loud over and over again as you turn the pages. Two Little Boys is one of those books: quick, clever, twisted, acutely funny' -- New Zealand Weekend Herald 'Darkly comic ... there's more to this than the exquisitely farcical plot ... This has elements of a truly great "70s stoner-buddy movie" ... it's a funny, disturbed road trip that also revels in the glorious New Zealand landscape' -- Time Out 'Idiotically funny ... hilarious and heart-rending' -- The List 'A laugh-out-loud romp ...[Duncan Sarkies] has a brilliant ear for dialogue and an innate sense of timing ... somehow he's managed to make his first novel funny, chilling and incredibly touching' -- Press Association 'This might be the best thing to come out of NZ since Flight of the Conchords... A dark, filmic thriller' -- Big Issue 'It's all here -- funny, manslaughter, attempted murder and a short road trip and a love story' -- Greenock Telegraph 'Gem of a novel ... a well thought-out, challenging and hilariously dark read' -- TNT Magazine 'Duncan Sarkies' TWO LITTLE BOYS is a bogan buddy novel from New Zealand... the novel has a bit of Cheech and Chong, a touch of Dumb and Dumber, a pinch of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure... Sarkies has a rambunctious sense of humour, and it will appeal to the young-adult market.' -- The Age (Australia)

Product Description
This book has got a lot of good bits. It's got penguins and toasted sandwiches. It's got a dead cat and an incredible climax. It's got a really little dolphin. It's got sea lions. It's got God. It's got a really cool lighthouse. When Nige runs over a Norwegian backpacker while attempting to save petrol, his life really turns to s***. He throws the body in a nearby road works and runs to his best mate of fifteen years, Deano. The trouble is, Deano's not really the guy you should turn to in a crisis.

I got all this info from Venus. Thanks for your great detective skills!
Red
Turning white clouds grey

by gezyka » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:49 pm

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

p.s. I saw The World's Fastest Indian in NZ and it was great!
Also, the Sarkies = WIN [image]
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

by hellomyfriend » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Oh my gosh!!! It's adapted from Duncan Sarkies' novel? [image]

Duncan Sarkies was my favorite non-Bret-and-Jemaine Conchords writer. I always thought his sense of their characters was incredibly strong.

I can't wait for this!!! And I'm so excited for Bret (obviously).

[image] [image] [image] [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by Red » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm so excited for a new Bret movie!! And I'm probably going to have to get my hands on this book. Supposedly it's very very very funny! ;D

[image]
Red

by hellomyfriend » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:00 pm

Red wrote:
I'm so excited for a new Bret movie!! And I'm probably going to have to get my hands on this book. Supposedly it's very very very funny! ;D

[image]

I want the book too. I want to read it before the movie comes out. [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by Red » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:03 pm

At the rate that Kiwis do things, I think you'll have plenty of time to read it before the movie opens!
Red

by hellomyfriend » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:05 pm

Red wrote:At the rate that Kiwis do things, I think you'll have plenty of time to read it before the movie opens!

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

By that measure, I'm an unofficial Kiwi. [image] [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by hellomyfriend » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Bret's co-star, Hamish Blake (the one on the left):

[image]

;D
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by Red » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Cute! Nice stripey jumper too.
Red

by Katie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:29 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:Bret's co-star, Hamish Blake (the one on the left):

[image]

;D

I wonder if he ever got a new tractor.

[image]
Katie
Totally Fine

by Venus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Hamish and Andy are very popular in Australia. Hamish is a naturally funny guy! ;D

hellomyfriend wrote:
Red wrote:At the rate that Kiwis do things, I think you'll have plenty of time to read it before the movie opens!

Same [image] [image]

Can't wait to read the book and see the film! [image]
#heart# Image #heart#
Venus
The day time of the night

by hellomyfriend » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Katie wrote:
hellomyfriend wrote:Bret's co-star, Hamish Blake (the one on the left):

[image]

;D

I wonder if he ever got a new tractor.

[image]

[image] [image] [image]

ADD: He probably shouldn't have. He lives in the city.
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

by racistdragon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:23 pm

This news is TOO EXCITING FOR WORDS!!!!!

And "Mermaids" just started playing in iTunes. "Ahhhhh" describes the excitement.

[image]

"Sometimes in our hyper cynical world, we forget that it’s okay to get enthusiastic about things."
racistdragon
Mythical Gluenicorn

by zap » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:44 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:Oh my gosh!!! It's adapted from Duncan Sarkies' novel? [image]

Duncan Sarkies was my favorite non-Bret-and-Jemaine Conchords writer. I always thought his sense of their characters was incredibly strong.

YIS! Duncan's eps were GENIUS. I think "New Fans" is the most Conchordian episode of the whole run: sexy, hilarious, and absurd while also very earnest and sweet.

I've had my eye on Two Little Boys for a while, but it hasn't been (and still doesn't seem to be) available from Amazon US, so I guess I'll suck it up and pay shipping from the UK.
zap
I'm not crying

by blondesnotbombs » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:44 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:

[image] [image]
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

Next

Return to Bret McKenzie